Here is our Experience with DORA today

Does this thread answers your questions?

• Total voters
Got EAD ... my experience!

Hi Folks,

Just updating my experience with my EAD appointment I had yesterday. I went prepared to apply for EAD and AP.

My wife and I arrived at the 8101 N. Stemmons, Dallas office at 6.09am the security guard electronically stamped the letter (the letter said we must arrive between 6 to 6.30 am) we were went thru security check and x-ray scanners, just like at the airport.

The guard who was very pleasant. He instructed that we go to window #4 (the letter said window #1) we waited behind two people (non Indians, you will see the reason why I am writing this) infront of us. It took the officer only 2-3 minutes to clear up them. Now it's my turn.

I handed over my I-765 and I-131 along with two cashier's checks and passport, and the original letter to the Indian origin officer there.

After looking at all the papers, he was like scanning my Indian passport page by page (I have two passport joined together, because the older one has a valid indefinite visa for my residency). Then he asked me when did I first arrived in the USA? I said sometime in 1994. He then scanned my two passports. Looking at each page again with very suspicious eyes. My two passport have visa's and immigration stamps from over 35 countries, I could see his eye brows raising at some Visas and stamps.

Then he repeated the question, I said the same thing. He then asked me how did I maintain my status since then? I said, Sir, I have been travelling in and out of USA since then, it's only this year March 2005 I came, married my wife in April, apply thru DORA in July, he then asked for my DORA letter, luckily I had that letter with me. I handed over it to him.

He read the letter like a hawk looking for a prey! I had a bunch of papers from DORA with me he scanned each of them. It's amazing how he did looked at me then at the papers, then upto me and over and over again. I just stood there calm.

Then he asked where is the stamp of your most recent arrival in the USA, he handed me my passport and then I showed it to him. March 2005. He bluntly asked me where is my I-94? I replied, DORA officer took it from the passport.

The then said, he have to take some photocopies of my passport and will come back in a while. I stood there at the window and he returned after 10 minutes. He took my passport and the letter from DORA with him. After he returned, he said that his boss says that I cannot apply for AP because the letter says that I can only apply for EAD. I asked, Sir, may I apply for AP also? I dont mind applying. He bluntly replied, no. Then he said, please go and have a seat in the yellow chairs, your name will be called.

The whole process took us more than 30 minutes. I wonder what he was looking for? Other's infront of me had the same EAD forms and checks.

Anyway, we waited and waited, from 7.30 am we start seeing the staff workers coming. There was a crowd of more than 20 people in the yellow chairs and then the hall with people by 9.20 am.

It's was around 9.30 that a lady who we had seen coming in around 8.30 am called five people's name and asked them to follow her. Within 5 minutes they all came out with their EAD.

Then in the second batch my name was called at number 7. This batch also had five people. This very very pleasant Latina looking lady gave us all receipt of the money we paid for EAD. Then gave us white cards with name, date of birth and alien number written on it. She instructed to read and see if the info printed there is correct and then put our signature on the card. Then she took our pictures and started the processing laminating the picture card EAD card and handed over this EAD and wished us all a very nice day. Good bye. She was very jolly lady and I see she enjoyed her work and meeting with people, even if for five minutes. She kept her smile... always!

I walked out and my wife joined me to exit the USCIS office towards the car park.

This is my experience with the 8101 office Dallas for EAD.

I hope this helps all those who will go for their EAD cards soon.

I have written this experience without any prejudice.

With best wishes to all,

Piyalove

My experience with SSA to update my SSN.

Hi

Now I am writing to you about my experience with the SSA, at Northridge Tech Center, 2010 N State Hwy 360, Grand Prairie, TX 75050.

First the past: I have a SSN "not valid for employment" issued to me in 1994. My very first visit to the USA.

After we (my wife and I) left the 8101 Dallas office with my EAD, we had breakfast at McDonald's, I dropped her at work. Drove home and looked for SSA office on the internet that is near to our residence at www.socialsecurity.gov. I printed out the driving directions at maps.yahoo.com/dd and downloaded the the SSA form SS-5 and completed it, it's only one page long. Only two minutes to complete it.

I drove and arrived there at 12.30pm. My number was called at 1.22 pm. At counter # 6 I was greeted by this Latina lady. She was very pleasant. Asked about my old SSN and how I got it etc. I told her the whole story, etc. She also also asked me about India, the consulate of India in Houston etc and mind you, she kept her smile, very pleasant.

I handed over my EAD, my SSN card, my driver's license, and my Indian passport. She when looked in the details and entered info in the computer.

After she typed all the info, she said that SSA cannot issue me a SSN right now because they have to verify the info with USCIS and then I should get it in the mail. I understand the technicality. She handed me this letter saying:

Social Security Administration
Important Information:

Name and address:

Dear xxxx,

This is to show that you requested a Social Security card on October 20, 2005. We cannot issue you a Social Security card until we check the document(s) you gave us to show your citizenship/alien status. We will check the document(s) with the agency that issued them. This will take about four weeks.

If that agency tells us their records agree with yours, we will mail you a Social Security card. If they tell us their records do not agree with yours, we will let you know, in writing, that we cannot issue you a card.

This letter does not mean that we will issue you a Social Security card. It also does not show you have the right to work in the United States.

If You Have Any Questions
We invite you to visit our web site at www.socialsecurity.gov on the internet to find general information about Social Security. If you have any specific questions, yo umay call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213, or call your local Social Security office at 1-972-343-2307. We can answer most questions on the phone. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY/TDD number 1-800-325-0778. You can also write or visit any Social Security office. The office that serves your area is located at:

NORTHRIDGE TECH CENTER
2010 N STATE HWY 360
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75050

If you do call or visit an office, please have this letter with you. It will help us answer your questions. Also, if you plan to visit an office, you may call ahead to make an appointment. This will help us serve you more quickly when you arrive at the office.

Signed
N Rodriguez
Alfred Washington
Field Office Manager

Now my questions: Is this normal? I read differently on this forum about getting a SSN etc. Can anyone experiened in this procedure assist in any input?

My question is not doubting the official procedure but to know for knowing sake, that's all. No personal or professional offence meant.

By the way, I am not looking or desparate for a job but rather I am to create jobs with my own Inc. or LLC company.

Thank you in advance,

Piyalove

Piyalove,
I completely agree with you, an Indian should always help another Indian or any other immigrant as he understands what pain one has to go thru.
Also, it’s kind of stupid to make a pregnant woman wait for such a long time.
As you know this is USCIS "CUSTOMER SERVICE WEEK", where is the customer service ?

Thanks,
Applicant2005

Applicant2005 said:
Piyalove,
I completely agree with you, an Indian should always help another Indian or any other immigrant as he understands what pain one has to go thru.
Also, it’s kind of stupid to make a pregnant woman wait for such a long time.
As you know this is USCIS "CUSTOMER SERVICE WEEK", where is the customer service ?

Thanks,
Applicant2005

Hi Applicant2005,
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it,
Were you there at USCIS on October 20 also?
Regards,
Piyalove

EAD Experience

Yes Piyalove,
I was third in the queue with my wife.
We have the exact same timeline. Couple of things different though:
- We got married in 2002, my wife was on an H1 and me on a GC. We both entered US on a F1 and worked under a H1 visa. I got my GC in 2000.
- I filed I485 adjustment of status in 2003 wishing the law changes during the presidential elections, but no luck...
- I became US citizen on June 25th.
- Filed the Dora on July25th for my wife's Adjustment of status.
- She received her finger printing appointment late September.
- On line status updated after 3 business days.
- Got the 70 day letter for the delay and inviting us on 20th of October to collect the EAD.
- Went to the appointment and waited just like you and got the EAD and AP.

So far no update on the GC... Let see...

Thanks,
Applicant2005

piyalove said:
Hi Applicant2005,
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it,
Were you there at USCIS on October 20 also?
Regards,
Piyalove

Last edited by a moderator:
SSN and DORA

Hi Piya....
I am living in Dallas and i am participating in the DORA program as same as you.
i am wondering if you can help me to get my SSN...
Would you be so nice to tell me what forms /documents, etcshould i bring to the SSN agency?

thanks my friend!

k1_visa said:
Hi Piya....
I am living in Dallas and i am participating in the DORA program as same as you. i am wondering if you can help me to get my SSN... Would you be so nice to tell me what forms /documents, etcshould i bring to the SSN agency?

thanks my friend!

Beloved Friend k1_visa,
Thank you for your request, I am grateful.

Here's what you can do... step by step...

1. Go to this link www.ssa.gov enter your Zip code and find the nearest SSA office.

2. Then click this link to download the form SS-5 to apply for Social Security Number, www.ssa.gov, it's very simple to fill-in, print it and make two copies (one for you to keep).

3. Carry your ID (Passport, Drivers License etc.), EAD Card, and the above completed form to your nearest SSA office.

4. Arrive at your convenience at SSA office. Take a number to wait in line. When called go to the SSA Officer and tell them about your case with USCIS and you have EAD etc and wish to apply for SSN.

5. The Officer will take you filled in application and give you a letter of acknowledgement that they have received your application for SSN and upon approval from USCIS they will issue a SSN Card by mail.

6. When done, thank the officer and exit!

7. Drive home or to the mall, and have a wonderful day out with your loved one!

8. Now wait for 2-3 weeks until you get your SSN card in the mail !

9. You will get one letter before the actual SSN card in the mail, saying that the actual SSN Card will arrive within 2 weeks. If you donot receive it, please contact their office.

10. When you get the SSN card, get a job or create employment, like I am doing... creating employments !!

11. Enjoy Life ... until the real GC comes in the mail !

I hope the above helps and inspires you, if you have any more Q's - there are many of us who's got the A's, please do not hesitate to ask me again, I will be more than happy to share my experiences from pre-DORA, DORA to Taxation, and ideas of creating employment and of course making this world a better place to live in for all of us and the future generations yet to come ...

With best wishes,
Sincerely
Piyalove

piyalove said:
Beloved Friend k1_visa,
Thank you for your request, I am grateful.

Here's what you can do... step by step...

1. Go to this link www.ssa.gov enter your Zip code and find the nearest SSA office.

2. Then click this link to download the form SS-5 to apply for Social Security Number, www.ssa.gov, it's very simple to fill-in, print it and make two copies (one for you to keep).

3. Carry your ID (Passport, Drivers License etc.), EAD Card, and the above completed form to your nearest SSA office.

4. Arrive at your convenience at SSA office. Take a number to wait in line. When called go to the SSA Officer and tell them about your case with USCIS and you have EAD etc and wish to apply for SSN.

5. The Officer will take you filled in application and give you a letter of acknowledgement that they have received your application for SSN and upon approval from USCIS they will issue a SSN Card by mail.

6. When done, thank the officer and exit!

7. Drive home or to the mall, and have a wonderful day out with your loved one!

8. Now wait for 2-3 weeks until you get your SSN card in the mail !

9. You will get one letter before the actual SSN card in the mail, saying that the actual SSN Card will arrive within 2 weeks. If you donot receive it, please contact their office.

10. When you get the SSN card, get a job or create employment, like I am doing... creating employments !!

11. Enjoy Life ... until the real GC comes in the mail !

I hope the above helps and inspires you, if you have any more Q's - there are many of us who's got the A's, please do not hesitate to ask me again, I will be more than happy to share my experiences from pre-DORA, DORA to Taxation, and ideas of creating employment and of course making this world a better place to live in for all of us and the future generations yet to come ...

With best wishes,
Sincerely
Piyalove

Dear Piyalove,

I am very grateful to you for all your help from the DORA program to the SSN. But mostly I am thankful to you because I notice that you have such a positive attitude even though you still (like me) do not have the gc. I was leting that issue eat me inside but reading your mails inspire me.

I had my DORA interview 10 days after yours and still dont have my GC.
Yesterday i went to immigration and they told me my name check is still pending.

what they did tell you about your case? do you think you dont have your GC in hand becouse the Name check? :confused:

Wishing you the best :) ,

K1

My appeal for AP in emergency, here's what happened...

Hello Fellow Kin,
Love to all,

On December 31, 2005 my widow Mother fell critically ill in New Delhi, India.

I spoke to the Doctor on January 2, 2006. He advised me to come and visit my Mother before the inevitable happens. I asked the Dr. to send me a letter via FedEx so that I can apply to the USCIS office in Dallas for AP. My mother gradually was hospitalized in his private clinic on January 7, 2006.

On January 3, 2006, he sent the letter. I got it on the 5th. I got any appointment with Dallas DO for January 10, 2006 through INFOPASS.

My pregnant wife (baby due in mid February 2006) and I went to the appointment. We arrived at 7.23 am. I had to see the lady at the reception on the left side of the building, she asked the usual questions, what is the purpose of my visit today? I explained the emergency and she gave me a number. My wife & I entered the main building and waited for the number to be called.

At 8.45 our number called. At counter no. 2, the hispanic lady took my interview. She took all my paper work from I-131 to all the supporting documents, EAD, I-94, NOA for I-485 etc. etc. She said I have to wait she will call the other office (DORA perhaps) and will call me.

Other people were called at counter 2, while we waited. After 30 minutes or so. She called me. She said, she justed called the Doctor in New Delhi. She found out that that clinic or hospital is not a hospital and that it's a dispensary or pharmacy.

This is the technical part... Dallas time is around 9.30 am and time in New Delhi would be 9.00pm. Doctors office was closed but the pharmacy in the clinic (which opens 24 hours) was open. The person said the Dr. office is closed by the dispensary is open, that was the only talk the lady officer had with India.

When she returned, she said that the letter is not from the doctor but a pharmacy (language barrier... !?) and that she cannot grant me AP. She said that this case is not of an emergency or urgest type.

I appealed to the officer, that this is the letter I got from the Doctor and not a pharmacy. She crossed the letter with a red ink pen. This incident brought tears to my eyes, how can this event not be an emergency or urgent one? I asked her, what is technically speaking an emergency or urgent? She said, the letter must say, my mother is hospitalized or death etc. I replied, Madam, she (my mother) was hospitalized on January 7. I also said, Madam, I really do not want to travel anywhere, because my wife is eight months pregnant and she is due in mid February 2006. Only this urgency brought me here, to appeal to you for permission to travel. Please listen to my plea.

Tears started to roll in her eyes too. She said, that is the law. But wait, she will ask her colleague in DORA to see what do they say about this. She took my EAD and PP with her. She returned after 5 minutes or so and said, the officer will call back in a couple of minutes, we waited on the seats.

After 30 minutes, the lady called me saying, seems the officer is busy. So she will go ahead and issue me the AP on her own judgement. She took the cashier's check, I-131, EAD. Returned my supporting documents to me and asked us to wait. In about 15-17 minutes she returned with the AP documents and said, here is your AP you can now go and visit your mother.

With tears in my eyes, she was crying too.

I could see in her the womanhood, the motherhood and more all in one. I said to her, Madam, I do not know your name, nor I will ask, but I would say that in our lifes we meet everybody as strangers, but some strangers leave impressions in our heart and soul that we always remember them in our humble prayers. I will always remember you in my way to the Divine Supreme for this once in a life time opportunity that you granted me of seeing my mother before the inevitable happens. In my humble prayers I will say for you, your family and generations to come, they should never see tears of sorrow and separation and be always be happy. I thank you with my heart full of love to you. Thank you,

We bowed in our Indian tradition of Namaskar to her and left.

I see in the land where Trust in God, Liberty and law prevails, simple love exists too.

I am karmically indebted to this lady, anon...

With love to all,

Piyalove

Have a safe trip

My heart goes out to you and your wonderful wife. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you have a safe trip.

Piyalove, I will keep your mother and your family in my prayers. Hope your mother has a long and healthy life.

Eric

Sincerely

Dearest Folks Kin,

k1_visa
EricNeesGC
DALLAS_NEWBIE

Thank you for your kind words and support. I am grateful.

May I enquire about my one question: I am to travel shortly this week coming. What other documents apart from my PP, AP, EAD card and I-485 (AOS papers - all originals) should I carry with me. Should I carry my company's Sales Tax ID and EIN also?

Please advise,
Piyalove
--------

piyalove said:
Dearest Folks Kin,

k1_visa
EricNeesGC
DALLAS_NEWBIE

May I enquire about my one question: I am to travel shortly this week coming. What other documents apart from my PP, AP, EAD card and I-485 (AOS papers - all originals) should I carry with me. Should I carry my company's Sales Tax ID and EIN also?

Please advise,
Piyalove
--------
COPIES AND MORE COPIES OF THOSE DOCUMENTS

k1_visa said:
COPIES AND MORE COPIES OF THOSE DOCUMENTS

Hi k1_visa,
Regards,

May I request you to kindly elaborate on this please... copies adn more copies of those documents, what does this mean?

What was your experience on your return with immigration officers?

What questions did they asked you?

Please share your experience.

Thank you,
Piyalove

Hi Piya,

I meant copies of all those documents you mentioned in differents parts of your luggage, bags, wallet, etc just in case you might lose them . ( The most secure is to scan them and save em in your e mail account).

I had no trouble when i used my AP: In the port of entry the Officer asked me only 1 question: ...when did you married? I told him the date and that was all. Then he stamped my AP and i took my connection flight to Dallas.

You won'T have any troubles , especially since your english is fine. There's not chance that someone could denie you to re enter USA UNLESS THAT YOU VIOLATED AN IMMIGRATION LAW OR ARE A WANTED PERSON. ( not your case i guess :) )

you won't have any trouble using your AP, just make sure to not lose it. Put it on a safe place and thats it. dont worry piya, the Airports are connected with the USCIS database, they just put your name in the computer and they will know right away that you are a legal alien.

dont you worry about the re entering USA. :)

My blessings to you and your family

piyalove said:
Dearest Folks Kin,

k1_visa
EricNeesGC
DALLAS_NEWBIE

Please advise,
Piyalove
--------
One more thing Piyalove. I have never travelled on an AP. However, when I travelled on H-1, the immigration officer in Karack, Pakistan wanted to see all my papers for some reason. I showed him the copies and he KEPT them after comparing them with original. The same process was repeated in Frankfurt, Germany eventhough my stay there was only for 3 hours and I did not even get out of the airport. So make sure you have extra copies of all documents.

EricNeesGC said:
One more thing Piyalove. I have never travelled on an AP. However, when I travelled on H-1, the immigration officer in Karack, Pakistan wanted to see all my papers for some reason. I showed him the copies and he KEPT them after comparing them with original. The same process was repeated in Frankfurt, Germany eventhough my stay there was only for 3 hours and I did not even get out of the airport. So make sure you have extra copies of all documents.

Hi EricNeesGC,
Thank you for your input. I appreciate the info.

I think you are saying Karachi, right?

These immigration officers you are talking about are these to do with USA or local ones? I mean the country where you stopped, say Germany immigration? Please enlighten.

Should I make photocopies of the AP, EAD, NOA (I-485), Sales Tax ID and EIN. Should I make photopies of my PP, the description page is enough? What about Driver's license?

Thank's to The Great Existence: I have a direct flight, without any stops in between.

I appreciate your kind attention on this.

With best wishes,
Sincerely
Piyalove
--------

k1_visa said:
Hi Piya, .... My blessings to you and your family

Hi k1_visa,
Regards,

Thank you for your kind input, I appreciate your attention to detail.

Thanks to the Great Existence, I have a direct flight, without any stops in between.

You, yours and all that is around you and Everyone in this Great Existence are in my sincere and humble prayers.

With best wishes for the new season,
Sincerely
Piyalove

piyalove said:
Hi EricNeesGC,
Thank you for your input. I appreciate the info.

I think you are saying Karachi, right?

These immigration officers you are talking about are these to do with USA or local ones? I mean the country where you stopped, say Germany immigration? Please enlighten.

Should I make photocopies of the AP, EAD, NOA (I-485), Sales Tax ID and EIN. Should I make photopies of my PP, the description page is enough? What about Driver's license?

Thank's to The Great Existence: I have a direct flight, without any stops in between.

I appreciate your kind attention on this.

With best wishes,
Sincerely
Piyalove
--------
Yes, I meant Karachi. You can blame the mistake on my fat fingers. The people at Karachi were locals, however, at Germany, they were US immigration officers. They were pulling out everybody from a select list of countries and interrogating them. I guess the idea was to filter them out before they reach US so they cannot file for asylum etc.

In Karachi, they kept a copy of my passport and HI visa. At Frankfurt, they kept a copy of passport, H1 visa and employment letter.

Like K1_visa said, keep extra copies of all your documents. I am sure you will be fine.

When you meet your mother, tell her that we all are praying for her.

Good Luck