Help! No GC and Nut wants divorce

Time to leave

I couldn't really find an accurate thread for this question:

For my own personal reasons, I have decided to leave. My i485 is still pending and the divorce has been moved to a different date but I am ready to move on with my life.

My i9 form, however, was taken by the IO at my green card interview. Is this going to cause problems for me when I leave the country?

MY ADVICE TO YOU IS VERY SIMPLE... Get back with your WIFE.. That save you from all your problems. Bill Clinton cheated on Hill, she never left him. They are still together and right now plotting ways to choke ObraBAMA.. but they are failing... I digress..

BAck to issue.. i hope you get my point that try to save your marriage. CHeating doesn't mean it should end there. get back with the woman you love, and you shall feel better and your life will resume like it never stopped. Good luck!!;)

I fully disagree. If he's not happy, then he has every right to ditch the tramp. He's come to us for help, so I'm on HIS side.

I'm sorry you have to leave it all, mate. You sure you don't want to stick it out for JUST A LITTLE LONGER?

Thoughts

That was an incredibly nice post. Thank you.

The reason I am holding on to the Green Card so much at this point is because it's all I have to show for what I've done with my life for the past three years. I'm estranged from my parents since the marriage. They asked me to choose between them and my girlfriend at the time and I chose her. My country exists within a claustrophic and paranoid culture that is driven by greed and academic success, all of which I stopped pursuing when I thought I'd found "The One". For me, it is not merely a question of going back home, but failing. I have no degree, no money and nowhere to go. People may say "oh suck it up and get over it", but it's easy to say that when you've lived your life in a country where you can succeed with no help from your superiors whatsoever. If I had my degree I wouldn't feel so bitter about the situation. But the way I look at it, from a personal (not legal) point of view is that I am being punished for marrying the wrong person by having my life destroyed. I don't expect any of this to hold up in a court of law. There are certain forumgoers who are much too eager to offer criticism without realizing that all the personal things I post here do not warrant a response. I might rant and rave for a while but I always cut to the chase and end with procedural questions.

This turned into a highly personal post, but I appreciate what you're saying and I'm coming to terms with the fact that in the US, aliens really don't have any rights whatsoever. My wife is back on the "we're still working things out" track. You have to realize that the reason I'm not even concerned about the marriage is because I have been taken on the ride of my life in the past two months. From finding out about the infidelity, to sliding into a month long bout of depression and drinking while being threatened by her family, to moving away, finding out my possessions (some of which I've had since I was a child) have been thrown away and that my dog has been sent to someone else's house and that she won't give me the address. After all this... how can I entertain the notion of salvaging this marriage? And yet... how can I not.

I don't know. It's not worth all this though. This isn't the forum for such discussions. I would have preferred not to have gone there, but Al Southner's attitude really irritated me. I accept the fact that I am screwed, but it doesn't mean I agree with or that I'm going to pretend to at the risk of attracting Al Southner's criticism.

I'm going to see an attorney on Friday. She wants to move forward with the Battered Spouse Petition. I really don't know how effective it's going to be, but what else can I do at this point. I don't know if she's merely suggesting this because it's "something we can try" but at least it's better than nothing. I've already told her I have no doctor reports or anything. There was a psychiatrist I was seeing during the time when my wife would leave the house sporadically claiming that she was "confused" but that's about it. This attorney seems to think that we can still find other methods of dealing with it. Maybe she's hardup for cash. I really don't know.

I'll try to keep everyone updated. I don't know if my job can help, but that's also something I'm going to look into.

Certain people on this website have been asolutely vindictive and callous with their responses.Evryone is having an issue with the marijuana posession,has everyone forgotten that we are only human and that married to a nut seeks advice rather that belittling and his case should not be made smaller in comparison ,by the people in this thread who believe their life holds omnipotent power in his outcome.Married to a nut there isamost nothing that you can do based on what i have read,The reason to adjust to get a green card is based on being married.If you are getting divorced you cannot adjust and yes it is unfair and yes it seems that on the ground of morality your wife should not have done what she has done to you.I can only however unlike some of the people in this website wish u the best of luck with picking up your life and moving on to something better and greater.Do not dwell on the past and you might be suprised maybe along the way that this could have been the best thing that may have happened to you without u even realizing it.Take thehigh road hold your head up be strong.

It's ok

Thank you for the support. It's absolutely ok though. It was a little surreal being lectured about irrelevant things when I'm asking about immigration, but I did a little clicking here and there on the site and realized some people here just have issues with everyone. It's easy to be self-righteous with a green card in your wallet.

My file was transferred to a local office on March 18, 2008. I have an InfoPass scheduled on May 29, 2008. I really don't know what I'm doing though. From what I read on the Internet, they transfer cases to a local office to schedule another interview. If that happens, about the most I can do is go in there and tell them the truth and be denied in person which is a lot more enlightening than being denied via letter I suppose.

Then again, I don't know if my file has just been transferred to a local office for fingerprints.

Then again, I don't know how much longer it's going to be before the divorce is finalized.

Anyone else have experience with files being transferred to a local office and fingerprints and second interviews and madness, incompetence and bureaucracy?

Nobody knows what happens when the file goes transfer normally at the stage of your case...can be for another interview, but nobody would know for sure. Normally if it's for fp's you received a notification for that.

And remember that you are (regardless of the ultra-super-mega-delay in your namecheck) not a LPR as of today you still are in the adjustee part. Do you know if your wife has filed for divorce? You should know...because if you are already divorced or going to be...there is not too much to do. Remember the based of your green card is marriage to a US citizen. And yes, unless you demostrate that you have been put in a violent (emotionally and physical) environment then there is not too much to hang on to. You can consult a therapist and see if they can make an assestment on you. Remember, that has pass 7 months since you are holding into the idea to stay...

Of course even with all and in the worst case scenario you can be put in front of an immigration judge and explain your case...and see, but actually I would be getting is a lawyer.

Now, let's be even a little bit more positive in here...let's say that you all of sudden received your green card...would be conditional, right? Now how you pretend to removed the conditions of the green card if you need to show that not until now...but AFTER you were granted conditional residency you indeed live as a couple? Have you think about it?

Good luck.

My wife filed for divorce and I counter-filed. She sold my property without my knowledge.

I don't have an attorney because there is not much an attorney can do. Every single attorney I have seen since the divorce papers have been filed has been a crook. One attorney was even trying to tell me that I didn't need to get my passport stamped to get a conditional card, that since I passed the first interview, I was a conditional resident... Immigration attorneys are awesome.

If I just received my card, it would be permanent. I have been married for over three years now.

I'm just trying. You're missing the point. This isn't about whether this will work or not, but what a transfer to a local office means. No possible harm can come from trying. What's the worse that they can do? Deport me? Isn't that what's going to happen anyway?

Now the Green Card trolls will appear.

I will be up front with you right now - I will be of no help to you. I don't know why your file would be transfered or what will happen next.

But, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your circumstances and I wish you the best. I hate to see someone forced into a rather bad situation through circumstances that appear to be way beyond their control. I was once (a few years ago) in that situation where stuff was happening beyond my control and it was not fun time - luckily for me, it did not immigration in anyway.

Good Luck

Usually a transfer to local office means that they will expedite the process and either just review the paperwork and approve it or call you for fingerprints/interview. This interview is usually just a formality, but they may call you for one... in which case, you are out of luck.

Thank you

Thank you everyone for the advice and support.

My inital interview took place a year and five months after we were married.

Wish me luck.

Hello everybody,

I had my Infopass today.

1. My namecheck has cleared. Just recently, he said. Like two days ago, he said. And then he scratched himself. Where, I will not mention.

2. My file was transferred to my new local office on March 31, 2008. My file was assigned to an IO on Apr 25, 2008. What it did for 25 days, no one knows. How can it have been assigned to an IO before namecheck cleared, no on knows. Does it have anything to do with the memo?

As Queens of the Stone Age once said... "No one knows..."

3. Right now, my file is sitting on the IO's desk waiting to be approved. The Infopass dude, who shall hereby be referred to as the ID, said that the IO my case has been assigned to has a batch of cases that she is trying to get through today. Whether my case is in that batch, he does not know, but we should hope for the best. I asked him if I would need to be fingerprinted again and he said no, I will definitely NOT need to be fingerprinted again. Then he brought up the interview and said that it could take longer if an interview is needed but then... check this out... he stops for a second... thinks... and then tells me...

"But they're no longer scheduling interviews because of the huge backlog."

4. He summed this all up by saying that my case could be approved any time between today and 90 days.

My only two questions at this point - which I do not think anyone has an answer to are:

1. Did ID blow smoke up my ass?

2. What is the USCIS' fascination with 90 days?

Last edited by a moderator:
1.- It would say it is unlikely. He gave too much information to be making it up.

2.- It is how long it takes for you to lose all hope.

Hang in there! ;) and gather all of the possible evidence for your I-751.

Hey guys, just a quick question:

My case was assigned to an IO on Apr 25 08. I have my Infopass on May 29, 08. How long should I wait before making any more inquiries, i.e., Infopass appointments, Service requests? Or should I just wait and let luck take care of itself (if it can) at this point?

And Praetorian X, assuming that somehow the card gets approved and mailed to me... wouldn't it be a 10 year card?

Marriedtoanut,

I just finished reading all posts in this thread. I am truly hoping you get your GC anytime now, and I hope it'll be a 10yr card.

Hey guys, just a quick question:

My case was assigned to an IO on Apr 25 08. I have my Infopass on May 29, 08. How long should I wait before making any more inquiries, i.e., Infopass appointments, Service requests? Or should I just wait and let luck take care of itself (if it can) at this point?

And Praetorian X, assuming that somehow the card gets approved and mailed to me... wouldn't it be a 10 year card?

I would make an infopass once a week! until it gets approved. You sure have waited long enough.

Whether it will be 2 or 10 years depends on the approval date... sometime soon, if that is more than 2 years from the wedding anniversary then it would be 10 years.

How is the divorce procedures going?

The USCIS website only lets me make one InfoPass at a time. Repeated attempts just take me back to the initial confirmation screen. I got an InfoPass for Jun 26, 2008. My case will have been assigned to an IO for 61 days at that point.

My darling, beautiful ex-wife is very aware of the new memo and its effects and she is pushing the divorce to trial. The exact date has not yet been set, but I should know in a few days here. I'm really hoping the judge is out of town until 2050. Or August. I'll take either. Smiley.

Why she hasn't withdrawn the petition is beyond me.

Seriously... is anyone else laughing along with me? Not really pleasant laughter but horrified, terrified, bizarre, absurd laughter. If we had bad luck beauty pageants I'd be the busty blonde saying "I like World Peace and unicorns" with the big trophy in my hand.