H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Thanks a lot tusharvk and fbhatti.

fbhatti, Hope you will get your security clearance cleared. What triggered the Consul officers decision that your application be sent for security clearance? I know that occupations in TAL are subjected to extra scrutiny. I am a software developer. I think my occupation does not fall in the TAL.

If I fly, What I-94 do I have to surrender? The white one staped to the passport which is already expired or the the I-94 that comes with I-797 notice?

Thanks
kb_gc

fbhatti said:
kb_gc,
I cant tell exactly what triggered them for security clearance. I am a software developer too. I drove to Canada from Michigan Border, I didnt have to surrender my I-94, not sure what happens when u fly down here. Read through the below link in regards to security clearance.
http://www.greencardlawyers.com/answers_for/VisaProcessing/visasecuritychecks.html

I have heard cases of security clearance based on random selections as well.
is there a reason to believe that the security check will be faster if done in canada (as opposed to one's home country)? experts on this forum, please clarify.....

Arun,
They will never tell you exactly how long will it take. In my case she told me that it could be 2 days, 2 weeks or even 2 months, I just have to wait. They will not give u any concrete answer. I know people who waited for 3 months..

Faisal

fbhatti said:
Arun,
They will never tell you exactly how long will it take. In my case she told me that it could be 2 days, 2 weeks or even 2 months, I just have to wait. They will not give u any concrete answer. I know people who waited for 3 months..

Faisal
Thanks fbhatti.

I don't know what to say ?. But you will definitely will get visa soon.

It is very strange in your case. Have you visited Malaysia within past 10 years. I don't know why Malaysia also listed in "List of 26 country" list for security clearance.

According to me, Malaysia is a wonderful tourist place and many people visit as a transit when travelling home country.

Thanks
Arun

which I_94?

I have this dilemma and I am trying to get an answer for it! Now, the last time I entered the States in January 02' was on F-1 status (so the latest stapled I-94 is for the F-1 Status). I graduated in Dec 03', then got my OPT and in Sep 04' got my H1b1 document (where a new I-94 is a part of the letter).

I am landing next month in Canada and I will be trying to get an H1b1 stamp!

Which I-94s I need to be giving before I leave the states? by the way, I going to be flying to Canada.

Thanks

Ramakrishna

If the case is tranferred for security check for which no definite time is given,

1)Anyone please let me know if one can enter US on an expired visa and valid I-94 assuming that 797 and PP is returned to the applicant.
2) Is it OK to apply for revalidation in home country within a week after applying in canada and a decision on security clearance pending. Will there be any difference ?
3) I am still not clear on what I-94 should I surrender at the border, old expired one stapled to PP or the new one that comes with 797 notice.

Thanks,
kb_gc

Ramakrishna74 said:
I have this dilemma and I am trying to get an answer for it! Now, the last time I entered the States in January 02' was on F-1 status (so the latest stapled I-94 is for the F-1 Status). I graduated in Dec 03', then got my OPT and in Sep 04' got my H1b1 document (where a new I-94 is a part of the letter).

I am landing next month in Canada and I will be trying to get an H1b1 stamp!

Which I-94s I need to be giving before I leave the states? by the way, I going to be flying to Canada.

Thanks

Ramakrishna

they will ask you how long you plan to stay in Canada. If less than 30 days they will not ask for any I-94. If more, they will ask; I would give all the I-94. Your old I-94 with student visa has no relevence anyways.

My answers to your queries
1) you can not enter on expired visa (since you have applied for visa in Canada)
2)note that they may not return your passport.
3)if canadaian officer asks for I-94, I would give them all. your old I-94 has no relevence anyways.
kb_gc said:
If the case is tranferred for security check for which no definite time is given,

1)Anyone please let me know if one can enter US on an expired visa and valid I-94 assuming that 797 and PP is returned to the applicant.
2) Is it OK to apply for revalidation in home country within a week after applying in canada and a decision on security clearance pending. Will there be any difference ?
3) I am still not clear on what I-94 should I surrender at the border, old expired one stapled to PP or the new one that comes with 797 notice.

Thanks,
kb_gc

Arun,

dont confuse the people. where they mentioned "You will be put in security clearence when u have been visited malaysia within last 10 year. they are saying if u r a malaysian citizen there is a possiblilty of security clearence".

arun_gc_waiting said:
Thanks fbhatti.

I don't know what to say ?. But you will definitely will get visa soon.

It is very strange in your case. Have you visited Malaysia within past 10 years. I don't know why Malaysia also listed in "List of 26 country" list for security clearance.

According to me, Malaysia is a wonderful tourist place and many people visit as a transit when travelling home country.

Thanks
Arun

Just thought to add.

I went to india in Jan and got visa stamped (The first time).
On my passport I have malaysian visa (visitor visa for 1 month ) and a malaysian transit visa. Didnt have any problem with stamping.
I got my MS from US.

While coming back I came by behrain and Oman, in Oman I took transit visa and went around. Didnt have any problem with port of entry. I tried to make sure I have all the papers the officer was asking.

tusharvk said:
My answers to your queries
1) you can not enter on expired visa (since you have applied for visa in Canada)
2)note that they may not return your passport.
3)if canadaian officer asks for I-94, I would give them all. your old I-94 has no relevence anyways.
Hi Tusharvk,

Is their any problem if I take the "Notice of action" with I-94 with me using which I will be getting revalidation in canada
and surrender only white I-94 in the airport ?

Thanks
Arun

arun_gc_waiting said:
Hi Tusharvk,

Is their any problem if I take the "Notice of action" with I-94 with me using which I will be getting revalidation in canada
and surrender only white I-94 in the airport ?

Thanks
Arun

I did not fly into Toronto; so do not know. I have read\heard that if your visit is less than 30 days in duration to Canada, then the airline is not going to take your I-94. somebody else can comment on this.....
are you planning to go for visa interview? I had detached the I94 that came with notice of action before my visa interview and just handed I797 during my interview. was not asked for I94 card.

I took my chances

Yesterday I tried to enter US through Michigan border on the basis of I-797 and I-94. They held me for 3 hours, took my finger prints and pic twice and had me fill up the afidavit in which basically i wrote when i left US, what i have been doing in canada etc. I thought after all this they might let me in, but after 3 hours of interogation they said " I have to have a valid visa to enter US without that they will not let me in" So they sent me back to Canada.
Just thought of sharing this with you guys.
On 10th March i will be completing my 8th week , waiting for security clearance.

Security Clearance

Hi all,

I want u people opinion on my case .. What I need to do..

I applied for H1b visa extension in US consulate Toronto Canada on 21 Dec 2004. The lady told me documents look ok but my name is common name so they need to do security check. She put me on security check. Now I am stuck in Canada from 2 months and still the security check is not complete. I called them every week about that. They told me they submitted to state department and they can't do any thing.

I need you peoples help .. How I can expidse the security check or I can fax some number. It happend to any body else or I am the only one.

I am from Pakistan .. I now they do security check for Pakistani people but that take 4- 6 weeks according to posting on this forum.

Any idea's what I need to do will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced

fbhatti said:
Yesterday I tried to enter US through Michigan border on the basis of I-797 and I-94. They held me for 3 hours, took my finger prints and pic twice and had me fill up the afidavit in which basically i wrote when i left US, what i have been doing in canada etc. I thought after all this they might let me in, but after 3 hours of interogation they said " I have to have a valid visa to enter US without that they will not let me in" So they sent me back to Canada.
Just thought of sharing this with you guys.
On 10th March i will be completing my 8th week , waiting for security clearance.

what did you write in the affidavit ?
was something stamped on your PP when they asked for valid visa?

tusharvk said:
what did you write in the affidavit ?
was something stamped on your PP when they asked for valid visa?

In Affidavit i described my purpose of visit to Canada, when did i leave states, how did i spend my time in canada.
No they did not stamp anything on my passport.

mohdam3 said:
Hi all,

I want u people opinion on my case .. What I need to do..

I applied for H1b visa extension in US consulate Toronto Canada on 21 Dec 2004. The lady told me documents look ok but my name is common name so they need to do security check. She put me on security check. Now I am stuck in Canada from 2 months and still the security check is not complete. I called them every week about that. They told me they submitted to state department and they can't do any thing.

I need you peoples help .. How I can expidse the security check or I can fax some number. It happend to any body else or I am the only one.

I am from Pakistan .. I now they do security check for Pakistani people but that take 4- 6 weeks according to posting on this forum.

Any idea's what I need to do will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced

mohdam3,
I suggest you to read this thread from the beginning. You cannot expedite your case. I am waiting for almost 2 months now. Where are u staying in toronto, do u have any friends/relatives..???
Patience is the key, I lost that and tried to enter US yesterday but NO LUCK..
BTW i am from pakistan too but i have noticed lots of indians are others are in the same boat.
Good Luck to all of us

fbhatti

I heard someone filled a I193 visa waiver form and came back from Canada after being checked?

good luck