H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Need ur help

I have come to US in Feb'2000 and my visa expired in Oct'2000. I have been working on H1 since then ( 3 different employers) . I have sent my passport for revalidation to St.Louis in 2003 , but did'nt get my visa stampped as I have sent after 2 years of expiry of my visa. Now I have cancelled visa ( Cancelled without prejudice ).

Could you please suggest, can I go to Canada for my visa stamping?

Any one got their visa stampped from Canada ( similar to my case ) ?

Basically I am from India, working on H1 for all these five years ( having almost all of my W2's and tax returns )

ela6 said:
If you apply for the visa and they flag you for a security check, you can still enter U.S. as long as you have a valid I-94 and old expired visa (not cancelled). I am not sure what happens if you have a valid I-94 and a "cancelled without prejudice" visa. So, for the folks who have a stamped visa (even if it had expired) and valid I-94, entering back to U.S. will not be a problem (I am stating this based on mine and several other people's experience at the Tijuana/San Diego border post). thanks
ela

well the first thing they'll do at the consulate is cancel your valid visas since your applying for a new one....You cannot enter the US on an valid I-94 if you have applied for a visa. Only in the case that you have NOT applied for a visa...irrespective of any old visa's you are allowed to enter back within 30 days of your departure from US.

STUCK in Vancouver

Hi Guys, I got my visa on Friday and now I'm back in the US.

DHARTEE MAAA U.S.A ....DOLLAR KO SAB KA SALAAM.

They do NOT necessarily cancel the old visa when you apply for a new one. I am stating this based on my own experience. I was able to get back in using the valid I-94 and the old expired (not cancelled) visa.

Once they decided to give me a new visa (after security clearance - after 3 weeks), then when I went to get there to get my visa stamped, then they cancelled the old visa and then stamped the new one.

What I am trying to say is that they don't necessarily cancel the old expired visa when you get referred to a security check while applying for a new visa. They do cancel the old visa when they are ready to issue the new one. I am stating this based on my own experience.

jeel said:
well the first thing they'll do at the consulate is cancel your valid visas since your applying for a new one....You cannot enter the US on an valid I-94 if you have applied for a visa. Only in the case that you have NOT applied for a visa...irrespective of any old visa's you are allowed to enter back within 30 days of your departure from US.

Hi Ela,

I fixed the two appointments(one for me and one for my wife) for revalidation in Toronto US Consulate.

(1) Should I wait to book the hotel/flight till hearing from US consulate? When booking appointment through website, it said I need to wait for 5 business days to finalize the travel since in case of any security clearance needed or revalidation cannot be done in that consulate they advice to go to home country within that 5 days by calling through phone.

(2) I am in 7th year extension, should I take the labor petition for my GC also along with me for revalidation ?

Thanks
Arun

In my case, they never called. But, I still was referred to security clearance. If you think you can wait for 5 days then do so. But, if you think that the air fare is going to go up in 5 days, I would simply buy it. I don't think they are in a situation where they can call you and alert you.

The worst thing in that case that can happen is that you will lose $100 on each ticket. The hotel reservation can be cancelled before 24 or 48 hrs of the proposed stay (without penalty - if you book it in the hotel's web-site).

Please take the labor documentation. I don't see a harm in that. Just keep all the relevant documents and hand over the documents that they want to see.

arun_gc_waiting said:
Hi Ela,

I fixed the two appointments(one for me and one for my wife) for revalidation in Toronto US Consulate.

(1) Should I wait to book the hotel/flight till hearing from US consulate? When booking appointment through website, it said I need to wait for 5 business days to finalize the travel since in case of any security clearance needed or revalidation cannot be done in that consulate they advice to go to home country within that 5 days by calling through phone.

(2) I am in 7th year extension, should I take the labor petition for my GC also along with me for revalidation ?

Thanks
Arun

Toronto Visa Exp. - Background check request

Hi,

I went for h4 visa interview in Toronto on Feb. 3rd. The interview took approx. 5 mins in which the officer asked for my previous H1 approvals, employement letter from my wife's company, my canadian residency document, and asked my wife's last name and job title. The officer then handed me a paper and explained that they need to do clearence check and it would take 2-3 weeks. On the paper, she had circled clearence request and Fingerprint request. Officer told me to bring in this letter along with H4 approval notice once the backgroud check is done. I was then sent to another room for fingerprints and was asked for local tele number incase the backgroud check is done sooner than 3 weeks. I'm suppose to call them after 3 weeks to check the status.

Now I wanted to find out whether there will be a second interview when I return?

Does anybody know what does "321" mean? This is something the officer wrote on the paper she gave me.

Is anybody in the same boat as I am?

Regards.

Hotel/motel near the US consulate in Vancouver

Can somebody suggest a reasonably priced hotel/motel that is really close to the Vancouver US consulate? I have to go there for H1b visa stamping..

ela6 said:
In my case, they never called. But, I still was referred to security clearance. If you think you can wait for 5 days then do so. But, if you think that the air fare is going to go up in 5 days, I would simply buy it. I don't think they are in a situation where they can call you and alert you.

The worst thing in that case that can happen is that you will lose $100 on each ticket. The hotel reservation can be cancelled before 24 or 48 hrs of the proposed stay (without penalty - if you book it in the hotel's web-site).

Please take the labor documentation. I don't see a harm in that. Just keep all the relevant documents and hand over the documents that they want to see.

Thanks ela,

The same thing I also thought. I will go ahead and book the ticket.

(1) I am planning to land in Toronto, Is it Ok if I give my friend's address in calgary for PR card and SIN Card?

(2) Should I open the bank account for some reason ? If yes, what documents should I take for opening the bank account ?

(3) If when revalidation if they are asking me to wait for security clearance, how easy to get the apartment in Toronto for one month - two month just for waiting for revalidation.

Thanks

Arun

I am not sure about Question1. Just check the form and see if it asks for "local" address in which case you can give Toronto address, or else you will be fine with calgary address.

There is No need to get a bank account. You can simply pay the fees and they give you a receipt for that.

Even if you are referred to security clearance, the chances are good that you will get back to US using your I-94 (bottom portion of your new H1 paper) and old visa. In case you are refused entry, then your best bet is probably some extended stay hotels or some motel which is quite outside Toronto area (cheaper). Make sure you have a good phone# for the consulate to reach you after they get the clearance. They usually call you after they obtain the clearance.

Check in expedia, travelocity, orbitz.com for motel price info.
ela
arun_gc_waiting said:
Thanks ela,

The same thing I also thought. I will go ahead and book the ticket.

(1) I am planning to land in Toronto, Is it Ok if I give my friend's address in calgary for PR card and SIN Card?

(2) Should I open the bank account for some reason ? If yes, what documents should I take for opening the bank account ?

(3) If when revalidation if they are asking me to wait for security clearance, how easy to get the apartment in Toronto for one month - two month just for waiting for revalidation.

Thanks

Arun

Travel Plan

Hi,

Does anyone know getting the Temp Visa to land in Canada for my Visa Re-Validation ?

I am in Minneapols-MN and I have an appointment/interview to get my visa re-validation (third in the passport) in Toranto on March 17, 2005.

My current visa is getting expired on May 19, 2005. On the same day my wife H4 also getting expired. We both are planning to travel together on the same day I am going for interview on March 17, 2005.

Is it really needed to get stamped in Canada ?
If yes, Please give me the directions to get the Temp Visa and current VISA re-validations in Canada in terms of waiting/documentation and any information that would help.
If No, I have my current driving licence with a status check in red color on May 19, 2005. What should I do to update my licence without re-validating the visa in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

-nnr

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian Resident - H1B stamping?

I am Idnian Citizen and Canadian Resident. After I got got my PR Card I came back to US and lost my Passport which was stamped(H1) in India. Could anyone of you give the some suggesstion on the following qestion?

1> Is it a good idea to go to Canada and do it H1 stamping or you think I should go back to home country to get it stamped my H1 becz I lost original Passport? Becz if they denied I can not come back to US.
2> If yes, how much time they are taking to do the stamping?

Please suggest me.
Thanks

ela6 said:
I am not sure about Question1. Just check the form and see if it asks for "local" address in which case you can give Toronto address, or else you will be fine with calgary address.

There is No need to get a bank account. You can simply pay the fees and they give you a receipt for that.

Even if you are referred to security clearance, the chances are good that you will get back to US using your I-94 (bottom portion of your new H1 paper) and old visa. In case you are refused entry, then your best bet is probably some extended stay hotels or some motel which is quite outside Toronto area (cheaper). Make sure you have a good phone# for the consulate to reach you after they get the clearance. They usually call you after they obtain the clearance.

Check in expedia, travelocity, orbitz.com for motel price info.
ela

Thank you so much Ela.

Thanks
Arun

Successful Visa stumping in Montreal Consulate

Scheduled the appointment on line.
On day of the appointment we showed up about half an hour earlier.
We had to stand in line before entering to the security check area About 30 minutes.
Please note that if you bring any items like cell phones or any small electronic device, the security will hold it for you and give you a locker ticket, only backpacks or big bags are not allowed in, and the security personal will guide you to a storage location down the street.
After entering the reception area we were directed to the cashier, we paid the fee of $100 for each visa application and handed out our passports and the visa application.
The cashier also handed us a number.
When our number was called we were asked to present the following:
Old passports showing previous visas to the US.
Copy of the LCA and a current employer letter, that’s it, did not ask for pay stub or anything else.
Than we were asked to sit down and wait again for our number to be called.
The next time we were called to the counter we had someone else who asked the following questions:
1. How long do you work for this company?
2. What would you do when your visa expires?
We were finger printed and handed a number for the visa pick up the next day after 3pm.
Over all, not to many questions, visa officers are kind and friendly, seems like a good place to renew your visa.
This was my 7th year H1-B renewal, I work for the same company for the last 6 years and they filed a labor certification for me.
Good luck to all.

Hi rjgal

questions:

2. What would you do when your visa expires?

Please let me know what did you tell the officer?

I am going for my 6 th year extension to Ottawa and i don't have M.S from U.S.A.

Thanks,
S.

Toronto or Ottawa

Dear Experts,

I am here in the US on H1b1 status (first came on F1) and I just got my Canadian PR today :O) I planning to go land in Canada the next couple of months but at the same time I need the H1b1 stamp to get back to the State! Now, I have this ridiculous question (but bare with me guys!) where is better to go for an interview if I have to pick between Ottawa and Toronto?????????

Regards,

Ramakrishna

H1b stamping exp in Toronto

my passport is from India came on F1; status changed to H1b and went to toronto for my visa stamping. I have MS from US school. Here is my experience at the various points. I took the bus to enter canada and re-enter the US via Detroit-Windsor tunnel

Detroit canada visa stamping.
went to the consulate approx 8:15 am. They started accepting applications at around 8:25 am and asked me for the completed app form, my pay stub, approval notice, fee and two photographs and my passport. told me that the maximum visa validity will be through the exp date on my I797. so I paid fees for single entry visa. asked me to wait in the consulate. approx in 30 minutes got the visa.

Canada Port of entry
questions asked.
where did I live?what is the purpose of visit? Where I was headed? am I bringing more than CN$10K in cash or monetary instruments? how long I was staying in Canada?
stamped the passport with the entry date. did not ask for my i-94 card.

Consulate in Toronto
got there approx 7:30 am. there was a small queue; they started admitting people after security check. then we were asked to wait in another line before we were led to the counters. at this time they told us to get the following docs ready:
passport, ds156,157, I797, fee receipts from scotia bank, 1st page of appt letter
Then another line was formed in front of the counters. there were two clerks who started accepting applications. when called, I submitted the docs to the clerk who inspected them and asked me to enter my high school name on the ds157 form. was asked my status in canada. after that she told me to wait for my name to be called.
in another 30 minutes, I was called at another counter. the lady finger printed me. asked for letter from my employer. questions asked were:
Is this your first h1b application? what do you do for your company? what degree do you have from the US univ? handed me back my employer letter.
she told me that she was approving my h1b app and asked me to pay the reciprocity fee and bring the receipt to her. After I brought my rec fee receipt, she told me that my passport will be ready to be picked up between 3-4 pm next day. was out of the consulate approximately 8:45 am. there were a few people from India ahead of me for the h1b visa.
Next day, I went to the consulate at 2:30 pm and there was a small line. collected the passport. they stmaped my B1 visa "cancelled without prejudice" but had left my f1 visa unstamped.

Port of entry into US
there were 8 passengers in the bus when we left windsor to go to Detroit.
the post we went to was understaffed so staff members were multi-tasking.
at the first counter they asked what my nationality was; where I was headed; why I went to canada.
at the second counter asked me for my passport, 797, my i-94 card. asked why I went to canada. stamped my passport. stapled i-94 card and the employee's half to my passport and handed the petitioner's half back to me.
at the customs every piece of my baggage was inspected. was aksed for my purpose of visit to canada; how much cash I was bringing; how long I had stayed in canada.

So that was my experience; hope yours is better. The visa stamping process has been made streamlined. so as long as they allow TCNs to visit canada\mexico to do their visa stamping, people will make use of this.

My take aways from the exp:
-take all the documents
-do all the research regarding the visa process and learn from other people's experiences as much as you can
-be prepared to be questioned at the various points

Ramakrishna74 said:
Dear Experts,

I am here in the US on H1b1 status (first came on F1) and I just got my Canadian PR today :O) I planning to go land in Canada the next couple of months but at the same time I need the H1b1 stamp to get back to the State! Now, I have this ridiculous question (but bare with me guys!) where is better to go for an interview if I have to pick between Ottawa and Toronto?????????

Regards,

Ramakrishna

it depends on where you are based in the US; how you are planning to go to canada.
Toronto gives the visa the next day. you may need to make appt in the afternoon or go there a day before your interview date to pay your fee (they ask you to pay fee to a bank) for toronto visa interview.
people told me that ottawa gives the visa the same day. (better to check this out with others who did their visa in ottawa recently).
if you are driving to canada, the time savings may be insignificant between toronto and ottawa.
best wishes.

arun_gc_waiting said:
Hi Ela,

if you are going for landing to canada, why do you need to make an appointment for visa interview? if you do not surrender your i-94 card, you may be able to do your revalidation at the POE when coming back.

Thanks
Arun

tusharvk said:
my passport is from India came on F1; status changed to H1b and went to toronto for my visa stamping. I have MS from US school. Here is my experience at the various points. I took the bus to enter canada and re-enter the US via Detroit-Windsor tunnel

Detroit canada visa stamping.
went to the consulate approx 8:15 am. They started accepting applications at around 8:25 am and asked me for the completed app form, my pay stub, approval notice, fee and two photographs and my passport. told me that the maximum visa validity will be through the exp date on my I797. so I paid fees for single entry visa. asked me to wait in the consulate. approx in 30 minutes got the visa.

Canada Port of entry
questions asked.
where did I live?what is the purpose of visit? Where I was headed? am I bringing more than CN$10K in cash or monetary instruments? how long I was staying in Canada?
stamped the passport with the entry date. did not ask for my i-94 card.

Consulate in Toronto
got there approx 7:30 am. there was a small queue; they started admitting people after security check. then we were asked to wait in another line before we were led to the counters. at this time they told us to get the following docs ready:
passport, ds156,157, I797, fee receipts from scotia bank, 1st page of appt letter
Then another line was formed in front of the counters. there were two clerks who started accepting applications. when called, I submitted the docs to the clerk who inspected them and asked me to enter my high school name on the ds157 form. was asked my status in canada. after that she told me to wait for my name to be called.
in another 30 minutes, I was called at another counter. the lady finger printed me. asked for letter from my employer. questions asked were:
Is this your first h1b application? what do you do for your company? what degree do you have from the US univ? handed me back my employer letter.
she told me that she was approving my h1b app and asked me to pay the reciprocity fee and bring the receipt to her. After I brought my rec fee receipt, she told me that my passport will be ready to be picked up between 3-4 pm next day. was out of the consulate approximately 8:45 am. there were a few people from India ahead of me for the h1b visa.
Next day, I went to the consulate at 2:30 pm and there was a small line. collected the passport. they stmaped my B1 visa "cancelled without prejudice" but had left my f1 visa unstamped.

Port of entry into US
there were 8 passengers in the bus when we left windsor to go to Detroit.
the post we went to was understaffed so staff members were multi-tasking.
at the first counter they asked what my nationality was; where I was headed; why I went to canada.
at the second counter asked me for my passport, 797, my i-94 card. asked why I went to canada. stamped my passport. stapled i-94 card and the employee's half to my passport and handed the petitioner's half back to me.
at the customs every piece of my baggage was inspected. was aksed for my purpose of visit to canada; how much cash I was bringing; how long I had stayed in canada.

So that was my experience; hope yours is better. The visa stamping process has been made streamlined. so as long as they allow TCNs to visit canada\mexico to do their visa stamping, people will make use of this.

My take aways from the exp:
-take all the documents
-do all the research regarding the visa process and learn from other people's experiences as much as you can
-be prepared to be questioned at the various points

Thanks for a detailed description of your experience. I had a question.
What is "fee receipts from scotia bank" for? Can you pay in cash - $100 USD plus the reciprocity fee at the consulate the same morning? Thanks