H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

arun_gc_waiting said:
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience Kovai.

Do you know, if we land by flight whether we need to surrender I-94 ?

When revalidation whether they are asking the original I-94 ? or I-94 from the Notice of action ?

It is like hit or miss situation. Would you please tell us about this

Thanks
arun
I don't know the answers for your questions. May be someone with similar experience could answer.
In my situation, I didn't have to surrender any of my old I-94s anywhere. All of my old I-94s are still intact with me.
I believe, surrendering an I-94 plays a critical role only when the validity date on your I-94 is about to expire even before your return to USA. If you don't surrender before the expiry date, your name would be flashing as 'Out of Status' when you try to return to USA.
I also believe that if you can show the proof of appointment with the US Consulate in the country you land, you wouldn't have to surrender your I-94 at the port of entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
kovai said:
I don't know the answers for your questions. May be someone with similar experience could answer.
In my situation, I didn't have to surrender any of my old I-94s anywhere. All of my old I-94s are still intact with me.
I believe, surrendering an I-94 plays a critical role only when the validity date on your I-94 is about to expire even before your return to USA. If you don't surrender before the expiry date, your name would be flashing as 'Out of Status' when you try to return to USA.
I also believe that if you can show the proof of appointment with the US Consulate in the country you land, you wouldn't have to surrender your I-94 at the port of entry.

Thanks Kovai.

Can anybody please throw some light on this I-94 issue?

Thanks in advance
Arun

need original diploma?

I am considering visiting toronto for h1b stamping
previous stamp f1; status changed to h1b. h1b applied based on my bachelors degree from home country. I finished my masters' degree but do not have the diploma. I do have the certificate from the univ that says I have completed my masters'. Do I absolutely need my original diploma for this purpose?
Thank you for responses.

DS156 query

I am filling the online version of DS156 for my h1 stamping.
I have entered in the US several times (B1 visa, F1 visa status changed to H1b).

The item where it says when did you enter the US? What do I write? The first time I entered or when I entered on F1 visa? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ottawa H1B 1st Visa Stamp - Suucessful

Background: F1 to H1B, MS degree from US University, interview in Ottawa Embassy on 04Feb2005, 1st visa stamp, Philippine citizenship.

Result: Successfully obtained visa the same day as interview date

Details:
I arrive in Ottawa, Canada on Feb 2, 2005. My interview date is Feb 4, 2005. I stayed in Quality Hotel, which is approximately 1 mile from the embassy. Since I consider this as walking distance from the hotel, I did not rent a car in airport.

I arrived in the embassy at 8:40am eventhough my interview is not until 9:30am. The guard let me into the embassy at 8:40am. The guard told me to proceed to Window 7 to pay $100 and submit my application. Lady in window 7 asked for my application (DS156 w/ photo attached & 158), $100, and I797. Of course, I gave them to her. She told me to wait for my name to be called.

My name was called at about 9am. I proceeded to Window 3. The following is an excerpt of my interview (as best as I can remember).

Consular: Hi. Goodmorning.
Me: Hi. Goodmorning.
Consular: Why are you here?
Me: I'm applying for a working visa stamp. I already have the working permit.
Consular: What's the name of your company?
Me: "ABC"
Consular: What do you do for them?
Me: I'm a civil engineer working for their offshore group. I'm the primary technical interface between CommOps and New Product Introduction for their foundation and mechanical systems of wind turbines.
Consular: Is that comparable to solar energy, gas turbine, etc.
Me: Solar energy is expensive. Wind energy is very competitive with gas tubines since the passage of PTC (tax credit for renewable sources of energy).
Consular: Do you have employment letter?
Me: gave employment letter
Consular: Before this, what was your status?
Me: I was a student in "US university"
Consular: What other qualifications do you have besides your degree from "US University"
Me: I have a BS in civil engineering also.
Consular: I should remind you that your passport expires before the visa stamp.
Me: No, that's the old passport. The new one which you already have expires 2 years from Oct. 1 2007.
Consular: Oh, you're right. I'll give this back to you and only keep the new passport to avoid mistakes. You can get your passport at 3pm in from the security guard outside the embassy.
Me: Thanks.

Opinion: In my opinion, as long as you have US degree for 1st time stamping, you will be fine. I met two Indians both applying for a revalidation stamp. Both did not have a US degrees. They also got their visa stamp. In their case, it is a revalidation with their 1st stamp coming from India. That's why, I think, he was given a visa stamp even though he did not have education from the US.

romaldo said:
Background: F1 to H1B, MS degree from US University, interview in Ottawa Embassy on 04Feb2005, 1st visa stamp, Philippine citizenship.

Result: Successfully obtained visa the same day as interview date

Details:
I arrive in Ottawa, Canada on Feb 2, 2005. My interview date is Feb 4, 2005. I stayed in Quality Hotel, which is approximately 1 mile from the embassy. Since I consider this as walking distance from the hotel, I did not rent a car in airport.

I arrived in the embassy at 8:40am eventhough my interview is not until 9:30am. The guard let me into the embassy at 8:40am. The guard told me to proceed to Window 7 to pay $100 and submit my application. Lady in window 7 asked for my application (DS156 w/ photo attached & 158), $100, and I797. Of course, I gave them to her. She told me to wait for my name to be called.

My name was called at about 9am. I proceeded to Window 3. The following is an excerpt of my interview (as best as I can remember).

Consular: Hi. Goodmorning.
Me: Hi. Goodmorning.
Consular: Why are you here?
Me: I'm applying for a working visa stamp. I already have the working permit.
Consular: What's the name of your company?
Me: "ABC"
Consular: What do you do for them?
Me: I'm a civil engineer working for their offshore group. I'm the primary technical interface between CommOps and New Product Introduction for their foundation and mechanical systems of wind turbines.
Consular: Is that comparable to solar energy, gas turbine, etc.
Me: Solar energy is expensive. Wind energy is very competitive with gas tubines since the passage of PTC (tax credit for renewable sources of energy).
Consular: Do you have employment letter?
Me: gave employment letter
Consular: Before this, what was your status?
Me: I was a student in "US university"
Consular: What other qualifications do you have besides your degree from "US University"
Me: I have a BS in civil engineering also.
Consular: I should remind you that your passport expires before the visa stamp.
Me: No, that's the old passport. The new one which you already have expires 2 years from Oct. 1 2007.
Consular: Oh, you're right. I'll give this back to you and only keep the new passport to avoid mistakes. You can get your passport at 3pm in from the security guard outside the embassy.
Me: Thanks.

Opinion: In my opinion, as long as you have US degree for 1st time stamping, you will be fine. I met two Indians both applying for a revalidation stamp. Both did not have a US degrees. They also got their visa stamp. In their case, it is a revalidation with their 1st stamp coming from India. That's why, I think, he was given a visa stamp even though he did not have education from the US.

did you have canada permanent residence? Also did you have your original diploma from US univ?

Fisrt Time H1-B visa at US Vancouver Consulate

I have couple of questions about DS-156 and DS-158.

1. DS-156 Section 15 --> Home Address
Should I write my address in India or USA?

2. DS-158 Section 4 --> Permanent Home Address and Telephone Number

3. DS-158 Section 4 --> List at least two contacts in applicant's
country of residence who can verify information about applicant.
Should I list two contact persons who are in India or USA?

4. I have one more questions about supporting documents. I worked at two other companies before joining current employer. One of my previous employer is US Organization and second one is a Indian company. I have employment verification letter from my US employer but I misplaced employment verification letter from Indian employer. Do I need Indian employer’s Employment verification letter at the time of H1-B interview at US Vancouver Consulate? Indian employer is my first employer, then US company and then my current company. This is my first time H1-B stamping.

I am in USA since 1999. I was on F-1 visa before getting H-1B.

I would appreciate any input/help. Thank you very much for your time.

tusharvk,

I'm not a permanent resident of Canada. So, I had to get a Canadian Visa in Washington DC. I was able to get multiple-entry visa valid for 1 year.

Yes, I did bring my original diploma - both US and Philippines.

canada_1111,
1. write your US address
2. write your US address
3. In US
4. employment letter from the US comp. should suffice. No need for the Indian employer.

urgent help needed..stuck in canada,came for H1 stamping

I came to toronto, canada on 24th Jan 2005 to get my H1 visa stamped from F1 but they have requested fingerprint records since I was arrested on a DUI in 2002 but charges were dismissed and Iam still waiting for those results.I dont have any relatives or friends to stay with in canada so I want to go to india for 3 weeks and come back to canada if fingerprint results come back..can I do that, what complications are invloved for me going to india and coming back to canada when they are waiting for fingerprint results, i want to take canada visit visa before leaving to india so that i can come back to canada..please help me out here..

Thanks,

Thank you everyone for sharing their experiences. I need some help. I haven't visited canada nor do i have a canadian PR. So can somebody explaing me the steps of obtaining the visa in Canadian consulate. I am on H1-B for past 5years in U.S and have revalidated visa in St.Louis twice. Since the wait time in chennai consulate is around 2-3 months, I am planning to do stamping in canada as a safer measure if i have to go to india on emergency purposes. Thank you for your responses.

canada_1111 said:
I have couple of questions about DS-156 and DS-158.

1. DS-156 Section 15 --> Home Address

2. DS-158 Section 4 --> Permanent Home Address and Telephone Number

3. DS-158 Section 4 --> List at least two contacts in applicant's
country of residence who can verify information about applicant.
Should I list two contact persons who are in India or USA?

4. I have one more questions about supporting documents. I worked at two other companies before joining current employer. One of my previous employer is US Organization and second one is a Indian company. I have employment verification letter from my US employer but I misplaced employment verification letter from Indian employer. Do I need Indian employer’s Employment verification letter at the time of H1-B interview at US Vancouver Consulate? Indian employer is my first employer, then US company and then my current company. This is my first time H1-B stamping.

I am in USA since 1999. I was on F-1 visa before getting H-1B.

I would appreciate any input/help. Thank you very much for your time.
You do not need DS158 for H1 stamping. only ds156 and ds157.

romaldo said:
canada_1111,
1. write your US address
2. write your US address
3. In US
4. employment letter from the US comp. should suffice. No need for the Indian employer.
Romaldo

do we need to take ds158 with us for h1 stamping? (I thought only ds156 and ds157; ds158 was reqd for j1 visa. isn't that right?)

do you need employment letters from all the past employers or just your current employer (listed on current i-797) of your current and ongoing future employment?

saro28 said:
Thank you everyone for sharing their experiences. I need some help. I haven't visited canada nor do i have a canadian PR. So can somebody explaing me the steps of obtaining the visa in Canadian consulate. I am on H1-B for past 5years in U.S and have revalidated visa in St.Louis twice. Since the wait time in chennai consulate is around 2-3 months, I am planning to do stamping in canada as a safer measure if i have to go to india on emergency purposes. Thank you for your responses.
If it is detroit consulate, then you have to walk-in and your visa may be issued on the same day (unless you are from one of the countries that require wait time).
check out the consulate general canada website...

parents are US permanent residents

I have one more question about section #37 on DS-156.
"Are Any of The Following Persons in The U.S., or Do They Have U.S. Legal Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship?"

My both parents are US permanent residents. Do I am going to have any issue because of this fact.

Thanks

Stuck in Vancouver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess most of the Pakistani's get stuck in Canada when they come for their H1 stamping. I had and interview on Feb7th 2005. The officer said my case needs special handling....didnt say how much time it would take......any one who knows what this means and ....if someone could share their updates that would be great....Thanks

jeel said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess most of the Pakistani's get stuck in Canada when they come for their H1 stamping. I had and interview on Feb7th 2005. The officer said my case needs special handling....didnt say how much time it would take......any one who knows what this means and ....if someone could share their updates that would be great....Thanks

jeel

did they not contact you over phone when you made appointment that your case may need more time? (it was my understanding that they did so that people will be aware of the timeline before departing US)