February 2009 filers

I think i am still in status because my H1b extension petition is still pending.
I am also attaching H1b extension Receipt with I-485/ I-130 application as proof of my current status.

Is it true that once i send my AOS application to USCIS, i will no longer be on H1b and my status changes to Adjustment of status (AOS). ???
can i legally stay here on AOS ??

As far as I know you are on H1b status till AOS is approved.

G325-A ( last Employment Abroad)

I have one question on filing G325A form.

In G325-A form they are asking for my Last Employment abroad.
but my last employment abroad is around 8 years ago.I worked there before coming to US (1998 to 2001). do i sill need to give that employer name and address?? I dont know whether that company is still in business or not ?? maybe company is closed now ??
Is USCIS gonna verify this employment in my home country ???

thanks
Punjabi1

Quick question regarding GC interview for my spouse

I'm also Feb'2009 filer. Couple of Q's :
Were you asked for your Tax filings and sponsor’s W2( Employment Info). I'm sponsoring my spouse but recently my employment ended @ a company which I worked for last 5+ years. Would I need to prove my employment during her interview which is scheduled for early May'09?

On side note my spouse got her AP a week back but hasn’t received her EAD, how far apart are AP and EAD mailed?

One additional Q:

My spouse is on H1 which is expiring by end of this week, she is still waiting for her EAD card and the GC interview is not scheduled till early May'09. So if she doesn’t receive her EAD before her H1 expires, does her immigration status still ok (pending I485) or would she be out of status - - I know she cant work till the EAD is available . Would this cause any Q’s during her interview? We are hoping that she gets her EAD at least before her interview

Interview done, APPROVED. :)

We just came back from our interview (Cleveland). It is approved, however there might be a few days delay to get my GC because first they have to quickly "deny" my pending employment-based case since I don't need it any more. So I hope the paperwork goes through quickly and problem free because we plan to travel to Europe to visit freinds and family in a month and I need my greencard to get back. Oh, and the officer did NOT take my EAD cards and Advance Parole. He said that as a last resort I could use my AP to get back in the US after my trip but it would be a little complicated to explain at the border.

I was told they do NOT do the passport stamping at the interview any more (except for extreme cases I presume).

The officer was about my age (35), nice guy, freindly and we joked around a lot. We went through stuff on the application forms; names, birth dates, place of marriage etc. He also asked me those "yes/no" questions regarding criminal activity, prostitution etc. I passed those too!! Whew :)

When we mentioned that we were planning on travelling in a month, he did everything to explain my options and even wrote a little sticky note on my file to "call applicant when card is produced" because I cannot track my case status online for some reason. He was surprised to hear that by the way.

Anyway, it was a fairly good experience. He looked at our photo album, mostly wedding/reception pics, and assorted photos from the last 6 years. He remarked that my wife has the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen! (He's right by the way:) )
We also had to show him a few more documents proving cohabitance and joint stuff.

It lasted about 20 minutes but it could have been even shorter had it not been for my special situation with the extra employment-based process.

Now the waiting starts. I really want to purchase our plane tickets, travel date would be 30 days from today (May 14) and I'm otimistic that the GC will have arrived by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Green Card Waiting Time

Hello all... we filed Feb-5 and I was approved at my interview today Apr-22. 77 days file to approval is pretty good... except, I didn't know they took away the AP (advance parole travel document) at the interview and that I immediately lost the ability to travel on my old H1B. I'd only had the AP for about 2 days!

So, I have no stamp in my passport but we leave for our honeymoon on May-2 (we married in October but are honeymooning now). I never expected we would've interviewed before the honeymoon!

I have an INFOPASS appointment on Friday Apr-24 to try to get a temporary I-551 stamp. A honeymoon, no matter how costly to adjust, may not be a good enough reason these days, though.

I notice some very fast approval notice and GC processing is happening at the moment. What're my chances (in your opinions) I can get something to travel on before May-2? Can I travel on the approval notice if the GC doesn't show up in the <10 day window I have, and it does?

On side note my spouse got her AP a week back but hasn’t received her EAD, how far apart are AP and EAD mailed?

I can only tell you my experience, but the EAD came first for me and was followed by the AP less than two weeks later.

Regarding your other questions, you are supposed to be able to prove your ability to support both of you so it may be a problem if you've become unemployed. Still, they may not ask for any additional evidence beyond that already provided in your application. In my case, the ability to provide all of this year's tax documents (joint file) seemed to be a big plus, though.

Best of luck.

gabebalazs,

First off congratulations on the fast approval! Question for you - Did you see a lot of folks in Cleveland DO when you were there to interview? Did you get a sense that they were busy or not so much? When I apply Cleveland will be my DO as well and I am trying to time sending in my application so that it doesn't alter my plans for travel outside the country in August. I am trying to understand whether your case was an exception or the norm at Cleveland DO (in terms of quickness)

Thanks for your time!
Neo

First off congratulations on the fast approval! Question for you - Did you see a lot of folks in Cleveland DO when you were there to interview? Did you get a sense that they were busy or not so much? When I apply Cleveland will be my DO as well and I am trying to time sending in my application so that it doesn't alter my plans for travel outside the country in August. I am trying to understand whether your case was an exception or the norm at Cleveland DO (in terms of quickness)

Thanks for your time!
Neo

I didn't see too many people actually. And everything moves fast. A person or family spends maybe 15-20 minutes inside when called in. And they seem to be nice people too.

Last summer when my wife had her citizenship interview it was the same, not too many people. There are about 50 chairs in the waiting room but there weren't more than 15-20 people at any time. The average was more like 10-15 waiting in the waiting room. And that's people waiting for interviews plus INFOPASS customers.

Gabelalazs - Please Post When It Comes

Your April 14th approval...

Now the waiting starts. I really want to purchase our plane tickets, travel date would be 30 days from today (May 14) and I'm optimistic that the GC will have arrived by then.

I'm using it as a bit of an informal guide as to when I can expect my GC based on my April 22nd approval. I really want to get my GC in the mail on or before May 1st, which is equal to you getting yours today or earlier!

How about the approval notice (besides the informal thing they hand over at the interview)? Have you got that? I'm hoping the official approval notice is OK to travel on if the GC doesn't show up by May-1. Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

I'm using it as a bit of an informal guide as to when I can expect my GC based on my April 22nd approval. I really want to get my GC in the mail on or before May 1st, which is equal to you getting yours today or earlier!

How about the approval notice (besides the informal thing they hand over at the interview)? Have you got that? I'm hoping the official approval notice is OK to travel on if the GC doesn't show up by May-1. Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

My case would not be a good reference since I also have (or had) an employment based case running with an approved I-140. Since I was approved at the interview, that process is now obsolete and has to be stopped, or whatever the technical term is. The officer said he did not have my 'A' file due to the employment GC process, and he had to get it. But he said it's a couple of days.

I did call USCIS again today because my MSC receipt number always shows invalid at case status online. I was told, again, that it's under review and has not been officially approved yet. That's 9 days after my approved interview. I will set up an INFOPASS for about May 8, that's 5 days before my trip. I bought the tickets today due to decent price at NWA. I really hope that even if I don't receive my green card by then at least the case will have been officially approved by then so I can get an I-551 stamp in my passport.

Keep your fingers crossed (like I do).

p.s. I do still have my advance parole. The officer said I could use that to enter the US when I come back, but technically the AP is for travel until the case is approved. It's kind of N/A after the GC gets approved.

But I'm sure everything's going to be alright.

But I'm sure everything's going to be alright.

Ah, I see. Good luck with your timing! I have also set up an INFOPASS appointment for just before I leave as a backup plan.

My receipt code also never showed up online. I also got status updates on the phone (first person had to escalate me to a second person). Apparently a certain portion of cases never get uploaded to the automatic system. It seems to be up to whoever processes it in the first place.

gabebalazs,

Thanks for your time!
Neo
Neo, it seems to me, that how fast the application is processed, also depends on what district office you application goes to. Mine also went to the MSC office. On 4/13 I received the notice that my interview is on 5/28/09. My interview is almost exactly 3 months and 2 days after my application was received.

Neo, it seems to me, that how fast the application is processed, also depends on what district office you application goes to. Mine also went to the MSC office. On 4/13 I received the notice that my interview is on 5/28/09. My interview is almost exactly 3 months and 2 days after my application was received.
Klako12
Where is your DO?

gabebalazs - Thanks for sharing the information and have a safe/enjoyable triop!

I didn't see too many people actually. And everything moves fast. A person or family spends maybe 15-20 minutes inside when called in. And they seem to be nice people too.

Last summer when my wife had her citizenship interview it was the same, not too many people. There are about 50 chairs in the waiting room but there weren't more than 15-20 people at any time. The average was more like 10-15 waiting in the waiting room. And that's people waiting for interviews plus INFOPASS customers.

My DO will be Cleveland hence I was looking at gabebalazs's timeline. If I apply in May and if it takes 3 - 3 1/2 from then to get the interview date that'll exactly be the time I won't be in the country, maybe I can apply in June that way the earliest I can have the interview will be in September or maybe just wait till I get back in 3rd week of Aug .. sorry I'm just babbling :)

I received in the mail today my travel document/advance parole. The strange thing is, in the same envelope, I received 2 copies of the same travel document. So basically I received 2 copies.
Did anyone run into this, or is this normal ?

I received in the mail today my travel document/advance parole. The strange thing is, in the same envelope, I received 2 copies of the same travel document. So basically I received 2 copies.
Did anyone run into this, or is this normal ?

We all receive 2 copies as far as I know. I've had APs a couple times in my life and it was always 2 copies.

I think the reason is that when you use it and enter the US one copy will be kept by the border officer. Ironically, I've never used any of them :)

I just set up an INOFPASS at Cleveland for May 8, Friday. I hope by then my case will be "officially" approved too.