February 2009 filers

Completed my interview, got approved. It appears from the announcement in the USCIS website that the green card production would be delayed by up to 8 weeks. But I am happy that my application is approved.

Best of luck to everyone else.

2/26/09 PD
3/25/09 FP done
4/15/09 IL received
5/29/09 Interview date: approved
6/4/09 Rec'd welcome letter
6/16/09 Card production ordered...

hmmm... shouldn't they order the card right after they approve my case?

Got my i 485 and i 130 approved I.O was very good and now waiting for the actual card to come

best of luck to everyone in the forum you guys have been very helpful in this journey

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys,

I haven't posted here for almost 2 months, I thought I'd provide an update. It's long, bear with me.

As you know I pretty much set a world record in processing speed regarding my green card: February initial filing and the interview took place on April 14th where we got approved with no problem.
Well, since then things have slowed down, I still don't have my card.

I did have an old employment-based case pending. So at the interview the officer told us that he needed to request and receive my old EB I-485 file from the Lincoln Service Center. That took about 3 weeks, so during that time nothing happened obviously.

And I had to travel to Hungary in mid May, so the officer and I agreed that he would only approve and sign my case the day after I return to the US, namely June 4th so there is no confusion about an approved green card when I come back at the border. I also had a mix up with my Advance Parole to make life more "exciting", but that has nothing to do with my green card delay (had to go to Cleveland to sort that out).

So, I returned on June 3rd, and eagerly awaited stuff in the mail the following weeks. But I was also concerned what if the officer forgot that he needed to sign my case on June 4th, and maybe my file is sitting in a drawer or at the bottom of a pile in the forgotten corner of his office etc. So I set out to find out and make sure that he did sign it on June 4th as agreed. Of course there is no way to call a field office (Cleveland, OH) directly, let alone my immigration officer. No email either. So around June 16th I called the central USCIS customer service number just to listen to a representative READ me the complete guide to family based immigration. I explained him 3 times my specific situation but he was adamant to continue reading the material in front of him. Then, after 20 minutes, he said if I don't hear anything within 120 days from my interview date, I should call back, thank you have a nice day...

Then I called back on June 23rd and fortunately I got a more competent representative on the line. She understood my concern and arranged that a reminder/inquiry would be sent to the Cleveland office regarding my green card. If it has been signed I'll be patient and don't mind waiting, but if it hasn't then I can sit for months and wait and nothing is going to happen.

Then last Friday, June 26th my officer called me finally, obviously the inquiry had reached him. He is a very nice guy, easy to get along with, but it turns out he had not signed my case yet!!!! He says that he's got all my papers, including the old files and ready to sign it. But he wanted to know whether he should simply deny my old employment-based case or do I want to withdraw it instead? I asked what it takes to withdraw, he says just a couple sentences faxed to him stating that I officially want to withdraw the old case. OK, I did that, and I had to do it quick because he said he was going on vacation for 3 weeks... But he added that he would make sure to do the withdrawal in a minute and also sign my I-485. I truly hope he did that Friday afternoon before he left for vacation...

He also said that I would probably not get my actual green card for perhaps months because there is a backlog in the production of cards. So I'll get an approval letter and that's my "official" green card until I get the actual card. If I need to travel I need to go to the Cleveland office and get an I-551 stamp. Here we go again, INFOPASS... :(

So basically it's taking me a lot more time to actually get the card after an approved interview than the time between filing and the interview.

The End or actually "to be continued..."

Sorry about the "novel" but I thought I'd share my experience.

In April I thought I'd become this "legend" on the Forum who received his family based green card in only 3 months from filing to card in the mail. :(

GC in mail, GC in mail, GC in mail, GC in mail, GC in mail......Yeah!!!!! Thanks to everyone for your advice and best of luck to all

hi.. i am from the may 2009 filers.. i just want to ask some tips regarding my upcoming initial interview.. i see that a lot of you have already done the interview and were approved.. i guess some people in our forum have not yet received their interview letter and some of those that received theirs are scheduled later than my interview date.. i am hoping you can share your interview experience with me.. i am being sponsored by my USC husband.. we will be interviewed in buffalo, NY by the end of the month.. tnx in advance..

Congratulations on your Approval !! Would you mind sharing your interview Experience.
Sure,

Interview details

Interview was at Fairfax VA, Interview was at 1 and we got called at like 1:05 . Interviewer asked us how and we met. Interviewer( A lady ) asked my wife about my middle name and asked me about my wife's maiden name. Interviewer also asked us about our first date, When I proposed etc.I had an ongoing employment based petition with 140 approved. Interviewer asked me about my employment based petition. Interviewer asked my wife about my employer , how long I have worked there. She asked us if we had pictures. We had a ton of them from our wedding and one reception overseas and one reception in United States. Also we also showed her pics from our engagement party and when we were dating.

Interview was half hour long. At the end interviewer told us that I was approved. She also explained I need to file for removal of conditions after 1 year 9 months.

I got my card after 3 weeks

Good luck

update.

Actually I have nothing to update. Still nothing in the mail. I'm getting pissed.
read this:

INTERVIEW: APRIL 14, APPROVED

Granted, I had an employment-based case and the file had to be transfered (took 2 weeks) plus I went to Hungary in May (mutually agreed to postpone actual approval signature till after I returned on June 3rd.) Still, this is getting ridiculous.

A few posts above I mentioned that I faxed my withdrawal (EB green card) letter to my IO in Cleveland. that was 17 days ago. Still nothing. Tomorrow is the 3 month anniversary of my approved piece-of-cake interview. And I was told in April that my employment-based case will be automatically denied and I will get a denied letter from USCIS and that was back in April. Then after a big silence my IO called me 2-3 weeks ago (see post above) asking what I wanted to do with my EB case, and then he can approve my family based case... I thought he'd not wait 2 months to ask that. He's a great person but he must be busy and forget about stuff and I suffer.

Isn't is ridiculous that the time from my initial filing (Feb. 1st) to my Interview (April 14th) was actually less than the time that's passed since my interview...

My IO mentioned that he sould quickly take care of my approval and sign it that Friday afternoon (June 26th) because he was going on a 2 week vacation. I hope he did it... but it seems more like he might have put it off after he came back.

ranting, sorry. :(

Oh and of course my receipt number NEVER worked so I can't even check anything. Calling them is also quasi-useless, I already told the story above.

Welcome letter received on July 24th. About time...
I was just about to fax my IO because I had not heard from him for over 3 weeks, but decided to check my case online. It had NEVER worked before, it would always give me an error. To my surprise it does work now and says Card Production Ordered.

So it should be a matter or a few more days and hopefully I'll get my card in the mail.

hi,

any advice for someone going in for an interview from a Brother/Sister i-130 petition?
anyone who has been through this particular situation that can walk me through some of the questions...?

very nervous.
as prepared as i can be but still nervous about any surprises...

interview date Sept.2

Thanks...:)