EAD Timeline After RFE - continued

To Someitguy

Congrats on your AP papers!
Thanks for the info on whehter I still need EAD after having the GC approval.
Without the info, trust me, I will be very confussed. :D

I will have an info pass tomorrow and do you think I should ask them for the EAD? In this way I can use it to apply for SSN(Can I?). After all, my GC interview is still two weeks from now. Does it make any sense to you?

I got RFE on my case online 6/26/06 sent in RFE 8/09/06 USCIS got the RFE thru certified mail (check it online) 8/15/06 waiting for case update to say it was recived now...Hopefully my EAD will be in SOON!!!

XiaopingZer, hell yea ask for it, it can't hurt eh!
Yes, once you have EAD, or GC for that matter,
you can apply for SS card.

Be prepared for up to a 10 week wait, like they told us.

Someitguy, Awesome news. Congrats on AP.
Now you just need get ready for Interview.

Xiaopinger How did it go on the infopass?

My case, I have not received any emails or mail, since my last LUD on 08/09. Has anyone or know if someone gotten LUD's with no emails and received EAD card in the mail.

I just hope that they did not decided not to send me EAD, when my interview is coming. Because if they did, then I wasted my money on EAD applications.
I am going to concentrate on preparing my papers for interview, instead waiting for unknown.

does anybody know how long will it take for the uscis to approve my ead once they recieved my rfe's. thanks in advance.

Must

Just came back from the local office. haha, just like Patty said, they asked me to wait till 90 days which is happen to be my interview day. They said that if EAD does not come in the coming two weeks, I will get my green card stamp and will be able to work with that. :) But, I guess, even after I have the green card aproved, I must apply and wait for my SSN. :rolleyes:

Need advice

My 90 days will be next week on 22-nd and 9 days before my interview. I am wondering if it is worth going to ask for EAD. Any advice?

Same Question Here

I know what you meant. I went there and they told me to wait till my greencard interview. Well, we are a bit different coz I dont have 90 days even by the interview date. :)

Oh well, I just tried to schedule infopass and the only available date they have is August 31st on my interview date. I guess I am better off waiting till my interview.

noyboy said:
does anybody know how long will it take for the uscis to approve my ead once they recieved my rfe's. thanks in advance.
Well Noyboy.
In most cases it takes about one month, you can take a look on the first page of this forum and you will get an idea. However, some cases viaries, like mine. It has been more than one month since USCIS received my RFE and nothing so far.

U R Right

I wonder whether in our case we can apply for SSN before the interview without EAD of course. (haha, I'm not sure how that works.)
:D

XiaopingZer said:
I wonder whether in our case we can apply for SSN before the interview without EAD of course. (haha, I'm not sure how that works.)
:D
Sorry, but the answer is no. You need to have either EAD or GC.
I have SSN already, I got it in 1997, at that time it was easier to get SSN.

You know I still don't have my EAD!, doesn't matter now. Its funny because I actually scheduled an appointment for my IEAD, the day I did that, my I-485 got approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
someitguy said:
Be prepared for up to a 10 week wait, .
The allotment of SSN has nothing to do with the Background Check of the USCIS. They have different checks,stipulations and criteria..( Eg EAD). If three weeks have passed after the initial application and the clerk is decent they will give you a printout of the SSN alloted to you ( you can get it before the interview). This printout is sufficient for the Banks and Driving License requirement...( I am giving the excuses for getting the print out ;) ). The physical SSN card will arrive only after 6 weeks of submitting the application.

But then
if you apply based on the green card your SSN card is valid for two years..and if it is based on the Stamp on the passport..it is valid for 1 year and if it is based on EAD it has a stamp..valid for Work only.

So in any case the SSN card has to be changed after the arrival of the green card.

I appreciate your insight, that changes nothing though. Our local SS office looked in the computer yesterday while we were there in person, just shy of 4 weeks waiting - and the number is not there yet.

You stated correctly it has nothing to do with the USCIS background check. What it does have to do with USCIS is waiting for those idiots to properly update all systems to reflect your status.

Carry on :)

I was editing my post...goodness.. you are quick to respond :)

Ssn

hmmm..you guys are giving me something to think about. I got my SSN in 1997 and it says "not valid for work". However, I used it, of course when I got my OPT. I have been here 7 years and so far nobody has asked me for a copy of SSN, but the number. I don't think SSN should change that often. Once they assign it to you, it stays with you.
I can't imagine changing it now, my SSN is everywhere. However, I will do some homeworks on SSN and I will let everyone know.

blondy said:
I can't imagine changing it now, my SSN is everywhere.
The number stays the same..the SSN card looks cleaner. Unfortunately you can't update it online. They (Social security Department) insist on seeing the Green Card. I don't understand why they can't feed the #A number and check status online.
Just proves the point that each department works in isolation and it is difficult to change the mindset. :)