• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hello Sm1mom,

I got my visa for Dv-25 from Montreal Canada, my questions are below:

1- is it okay if I enter the US to activate the visa and come back to Canada right after?

2- I plan to stay with my current job as under contract for 1 year in Canada, however, I will go back to the US every 3 months and stay there for 4 days on each trip. Is that okay?
You did not get a visa for DV-25, registration period for DV2025 ended barely a couple of days ago and the results do not get released until May 2024. Since you’re a DV2024 selectee, your post has been moved from the 2025 thread to this 2024 thread.

Now to answer your questions:
1. Yes you can do that. Just make sure to not tell the CBP at the POE you’re there to “activate your visa” as officially, there’s no such thing as activating the visa. You may be denied entry and asked to return when you’re ready to settle down in the US. This has happened before.

2. You’ll probably run into trouble at some point if you do this. CBP could accuse you of using the GC as a super visa to visit the US. In general, you’re allowed to depart from the US after the initial entry and stay out up to one year to enable you tie up whatever loose ends you may have back at home before returning to settle down in the US.

You did not get a visa for DV-25, registration period for DV2025 ended barely a couple of days ago and the results do not get released until May 2024. Since you’re a DV2024 selectee, your post has been moved from the 2025 thread to this 2024 thread.

Now to answer your questions:
1. Yes you can do that. Just make sure to not tell the CBP at the POE you’re there to “activate your visa” as officially, there’s no such thing as activating the visa. You may be denied entry and asked to return when you’re ready to settle down in the US. This has happened before.

2. You’ll probably run into trouble at some point if you do this. CBP could accuse you of using the GC as a super visa to visit the US. In general, you’re allowed to depart from the US after the initial entry and stay out up to one year to enable you tie up whatever loose ends you may have back at home before returning to settle down in the US.
Thank you very much,

sorry, it was DV-24 you were right.

for the 22nd Question: do you think that renting/buying a house across the border but working in Canada would help alleviate my case?

another question please: i have my GCvisa on my african passport, but im a canadian Citizen, can i cross the border without showing the visa using my Canadian passport? or will it show in their system that i have a Green card visa pending to be activated?

Thank you very much,

sorry, it was DV-24 you were right.

for the 22nd Question: do you think that renting/buying a house across the border but working in Canada would help alleviate my case?

another question please: i have my GCvisa on my african passport, but im a canadian Citizen, can i cross the border without showing the visa using my Canadian passport? or will it show in their system that i have a Green card visa pending to be activated?
How do you propose handling the tax implications if you were to be residing in the US and working in Canada? Hope you realize your primary tax obligations is based on where you’re residing and not where you’re working or where you employer is based.

The LPR status you’ll get upon the endorsement of your IV is not tied to whichever passport the IV is issued in. It is tied to you as an individual. So whichever passport you present for subsequent admission into the US is irrelevant, your biometrics will already be in the database as a LPR. Assuming the LPR status is tied to your African passport (and not you as an individual), and you re-enter the US as a Canadian (without demonstrating you’re a LPR), how does that re-admission help you maintain your LPR status which is what you’re trying to accomplish in the first place or isn’t the the reason for the visit?

How do you propose handling the tax implications if you were to be residing in the US and working in Canada? Hope you realize your primary tax obligations is based on where you’re residing and not where you’re working or where you employer is based.

The LPR status you’ll get upon the endorsement of your IV is not tied to whichever passport the IV is issued in. It is tied to you as an individual. So whichever passport you present for subsequent admission into the US is irrelevant, your biometrics will already be in the database as a LPR. Assuming the LPR status is tied to your African passport (and not you as an individual), and you re-enter the US as a Canadian (without demonstrating you’re a LPR), how does that re-admission help you maintain your LPR status which is what you’re trying to accomplish in the first place or isn’t the the reason for the visit?
it is understandable regarding tax purposes, but I guess I will have to think about it twice.

I just want to confirm your point, even if I do not endorse the IV yet, are my biometrics showing in the database as an LPR?

it is understandable regarding tax purposes, but I guess I will have to think about it twice.

I just want to confirm your point, even if I do not endorse the IV yet, are my biometrics showing in the database as an LPR?
Of course not. You’re not yet a LPR until you’ve been admitted as one. All you have right now is simply an immigrant visa, it does not bestow a LPR status on you until after it gets presented at the POE and you’re processed accordingly.

Of course not. You’re not yet a LPR until you’ve been admitted as one. All you have right now is simply an immigrant visa, it does not bestow a LPR status on you until after it gets presented at the POE and you’re processed accordingly.
ok, I apologize for my misunderstanding then.

so my question is, Can I enter the US as a Canadian but I do not show them my African passport or without trying to endorse my IV?

Hello everyone,

My case number is 2024EU8xxx. My embassy is Frankfurt, Germany. I haven’t received any email by KCC yet. According to December’s Visa Bulletin I’m current in January.
I’m not sure what that means for my timeline.. E.g.:

1) Can you estimate based on above information when the consular interview would be (e.g. January, February, later?)?
2) How much time in advance would I usually be informed on the date of my consular interview (days, weeks, more than a month?)?

I need to get an additional (foreign) police record for my interview, however it’s valid for 3 months only. So I’m l trying to figure out when I should request it.

Appreciate your help!

ok, I apologize for my misunderstanding then.

so my question is, Can I enter the US as a Canadian but I do not show them my African passport or without trying to endorse my IV?
Yes you may present yourself for admission into the US for a temporary visit with your Canadian passport, CBP will make the determination as to whether you can be admitted or not due to your already expressed immigrant intent.

Hello everyone,

My case number is 2024EU8xxx. My embassy is Frankfurt, Germany. I haven’t received any email by KCC yet. According to December’s Visa Bulletin I’m current in January.
I’m not sure what that means for my timeline.. E.g.:

1) Can you estimate based on above information when the consular interview would be (e.g. January, February, later?)?
2) How much time in advance would I usually be informed on the date of my consular interview (days, weeks, more than a month?)?

I need to get an additional (foreign) police record for my interview, however it’s valid for 3 months only. So I’m l trying to figure out when I should request it.

Appreciate your help!
1. I’m sorry I cannot estimate your interview date.
2. About six to eight weeks in advance.

Police certificates are valid for two years. Start working on getting your foreign PC now.

Yes you may present yourself for admission into the US for a temporary visit with your Canadian passport, CBP will make the determination as to whether you can be admitted or not due to your already expressed immigrant intent.
Thank you very much

1. I’m sorry I cannot estimate your interview date.
2. About six to eight weeks in advance.

Police certificates are valid for two years. Start working on getting your foreign PC now.

Thanks for your swift reply and the information provided. Will request the PC now.

To my first question: Would it be wrong to say that my interview will not be scheduled until January at the earliest because my case only becomes current then?

Thank you advance!

Thanks for your swift reply and the information provided. Will request the PC now.

To my first question: Would it be wrong to say that my interview will not be scheduled until January at the earliest because my case only becomes current then?

Thank you advance!
All things being equal, most cases get scheduled for interview in the month they’re listed as current on the VB.

Hello guys,

I was selected and my current number will be in January. I have all my documents ready for the interview.
Just want to ask a question for peace of mind, and to hear your opinions.

So, I'm 23yo, Web Developer
1. I have about 11k USD in savings to show (this is about a whole year of pay in my country), this is where the stress is coming from, do you guys think that's enough? Is it enough to print a statement from my bank showing my info or do I have to file some special form?
2. When I enter the website to complete the DS-260 it says IV completed (as I completed it in March), do I still need to do anything? Or just wait for email?
3.Can I update mailing address and permanent address at the airport when landing? (For my greencard to be delivered) I'm unsure yet with which friend I'll stay initially.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm single. No kids.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I was selected and my current number will be in January. I have all my documents ready for the interview.
Just want to ask a question for peace of mind, and to hear your opinions.

So, I'm 23yo, Web Developer
1. I have about 11k USD in savings to show (this is about a whole year of pay in my country), this is where the stress is coming from, do you guys think that's enough? Is it enough to print a statement from my bank showing my info or do I have to file some special form?
2. When I enter the website to complete the DS-260 it says IV completed (as I completed it in March), do I still need to do anything? Or just wait for email?
3.Can I update mailing address and permanent address at the airport when landing? (For my greencard to be delivered) I'm unsure yet with which friend I'll stay initially.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm single. No kids.
1. It probably is enough. If you can find someone to provide you with form I-134 and the applicable supporting documents for you to have on hand as a backup document for demonstrating you’re unlikely to become a public charge, that would be of tremendous help to your case.
2. How could you have completed the DS260 in March considering DV2024 results were released in May?
3. Mailing address can be updated at the time of the interview, or the POE on arrival.

Hello,

My brother was selected in DV2024. We submitted your DS260 on May 7, 2023. Weeks later we started asking the KCC about the status of your case and all the time they say the same thing:

"Your forms have been received and are currently being processed. Please allow several weeks for processing. Interviews are scheduled numerically based on case numbers that have completed processing."

Our concern is because your number is in the January bulletin.

Do you think that response is normal or should we do something else?

Hello,

My brother was selected in DV2024. We submitted your DS260 on May 7, 2023. Weeks later we started asking the KCC about the status of your case and all the time they say the same thing:

"Your forms have been received and are currently being processed. Please allow several weeks for processing. Interviews are scheduled numerically based on case numbers that have completed processing."

Our concern is because your number is in the January bulletin.

Do you think that response is normal or should we do something else?
Yes the response is normal. You need to exercise some patience, that’s all you/your brother need to do for now.

1. It probably is enough. If you can find someone to provide you with form I-134 and the applicable supporting documents for you to have on hand as a backup document for demonstrating you’re unlikely to become a public charge, that would be of tremendous help to your case.
2. How could you have completed the DS260 in March considering DV2024 results were released in May?
3. Mailing address can be updated at the time of the interview, or the POE on arrival.
It was in May, right after finding out I got selected, you're right. I thought it was in March, my bad.

How would I even start looking for someone to sponsor me for I-134 since I don't know anyone nor do I have family in the US?

It was in May, right after finding out I got selected, you're right. I thought it was in March, my bad.

How would I even start looking for someone to sponsor me for I-134 since I don't know anyone nor do I have family in the US?
So at this point, you wait to be scheduled for an interview.

I don’t know how you would start looking into that. That’s for you to figure out. Or you simply take your chance with what you have and hope for the best.

Hi, how long the police certificate valids? In my country, the actual certificate is only valid for 3 months. Does this mean we should careful to get it close to the interview time?