• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 Starts Today

Hi Emily, a question. ... are there people of other ethic background living in NC?

It's America. There are "other ethnic backgrounds" everywhere.... to greater or lesser extents in some states, to be sure, but everywhere.
NC has a vibrant 'research triangle' and associated companies that has attracted many people of all backgrounds to the state too.

Hi Emily, a question. ... are there people of other ethic background living in NC?
It's America. There are "other ethnic backgrounds" everywhere.... to greater or lesser extents in some states, to be sure, but everywhere.
NC has a vibrant 'research triangle' and associated companies that has attracted many people of all backgrounds to the state too.

I'm the token white guy in my office.

Only a few more days left. For those yet to apply, all the very best. The long wait till May begins but then again its been a month since I applied, time flies by. :)

Only a few more days left. For those yet to apply, all the very best. The long wait till May begins but then again its been a month since I applied, time flies by. :)

May will be very soon around the corner. For now lets think on the good old holidays coming up :p

Yeah but if you have a darker skin it's hard to find work, possibly get racist comments from people who don't like you. Sorry I just want to see if NC would be a good place to live, Emily always has nice things to say about NC.

Yeah but if you have a darker skin it's hard to find work, possibly get racist comments from people who don't like you. Sorry I just want to see if NC would be a good place to live, Emily always has nice things to say about NC.

Instead of making generalizing and prejudiced statements, you might want to research readily available information that actually answer your original question:

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/37

I have dark skin and I had no problem finding work. America isn't as racist as you think @Shekina and, if you're that worried by racism, perhaps this isn't the place for you. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised how disinterested employers were in both my sex and race: so long as I could do the job, they were prepared to hire.

I have dark skin. My kids are mixed race. We've had no problems. Americans are very welcoming where we are.

I'm the token white guy in my office.

I had to look this up, Simon - now we know that you must be the sexiest person in the entire office! :D

Token White Guy
A white guy in a group of minorities. He is there because he is always the one to talk to the police officer if there is a problem. He will also most likely be the sexiest out of the entire group and help his friends of a different race get hot girls (or xxxxxxx). All the minorities know this but they will still make fun of the white guy anyway just to raise their own self esteem.

(Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Token White Guy)

@OnTheGo

I edited your post and x'ed out the word in the parentheses. I do realize it's not your original word, you merely copied it as written in the urban dictionary, nonetheless there's a need for us to ensure our posts in this forum are appropriate.

I had to look this up, Simon - now we know that you must be the sexiest person in the entire office! :D

Token White Guy
A white guy in a group of minorities. He is there because he is always the one to talk to the police officer if there is a problem. He will also most likely be the sexiest out of the entire group and help his friends of a different race get hot girls (or xxxxxxx). All the minorities know this but they will still make fun of the white guy anyway just to raise their own self esteem.

(Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Token White Guy)

Hmmm, I'm not sure I like the description. This description from Wikipedia is about right.

"Tokenism is the practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to be inclusive to members of minority groups, especially by recruiting a small number of people from underrepresented groups in order to give the appearance of racial or sexual equality within a workforce."

Wow that's a sweeping and misinformed statement, especially from someone who seems hellbent on getting to the US one way or another.

I mean, it's not like the US has had a dark-skinned president for the last 8 years or anything (and one that would probably keep his job another 4 if not for term limits...)

Wow that's a sweeping and misinformed statement, especially from someone who seems hellbent on getting to the US one way or another.

I mean, it's not like the US has had a dark-skinned president for the last 8 years or anything (and one that would probably keep his job another 4 if not for term limits...)

Hi SusieQQQ, I know what I said was a bit off.... I had a good look at the places that I would possibly like to live at and the east looks really nice, like Georgia. ... but I read that there were some issues with those area... then I looked at NC, looks pretty good place to live. Then there is this fear .... will I fit in this place...being into a new place has its advantages and disadvantages. I m just looking at various places that could be suitable for me. I love the fact that America is so big and awesome and there are tons of possibilities, I guess that's what makes America a great nation. I didn't mean any disrespect. I think it's a nation where any hardworking persons dreams could come true, at least that's what I think of America. Happy selection to all those hopeful souls.

I have dark skin and I had no problem finding work. America isn't as racist as you think @Shekina and, if you're that worried by racism, perhaps this isn't the place for you. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised how disinterested employers were in both my sex and race: so long as I could do the job, they were prepared to hire.

I have dark skin. My kids are mixed race. We've had no problems. Americans are very welcoming where we are.
That's great to hear Emily, thanks for helping me out with this thought I had. Funny our thoughts can be our biggest hurdles.

This is really helpful, thank you for the link.
Oh that look said it all..... :)
Hi, this is a great link, would you have one for Georgia, Oregan, new york and maryland, new jersey please. I want to be near water.... Although like colorado too.

Hi, this is a great link, would you have one for Georgia, Oregan, new york and maryland, new jersey please. I want to be near water.... Although like colorado too.
You are very welcome. Same link - simply type requested location in the "Enter state, county, city, town, or zip code" field, then choose "Select a Fact" if you would like to narrow down information further.