• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 Starts Today

Question: If you are in domestic partnership (a couple without marriage) that have a child together when they apply separately do both of them need to include the child information or just one of them? Also is a child picture required with your application?
Thanks in advance.

Question: If you are in domestic partnership (a couple without marriage) that have a child together when they apply separately do both of them need to include the child information or just one of them? Also is a child picture required with your application?
Thanks in advance.

Yes both parents must list the child or they risk being disqualified if selected. And yes, the child's photo is required.

p.s. Please post once and wait for a response.

I am in similar boat. I am a US Citizen but the GC application for sibilings takes way too long, so we are going the Loterry route meanwhile and hope for the best! This sucks that they don't consider sibilings to be immediate relatives and have a long wait list. Has your brother applied for you meanwhile? I hope you finally be able to get it.

Yeah hopefully :), My brother lives there but the application takes like 15 years for a brother pretty long :(

Sm1smom one more question. What happens if they get married after they enter but only one of them is selected as a GC Loterry recipient, would the other one be eligible too? I am just curious how that works in the event that they make their relationship legal or would just one of them be able to reside in the US and the other one will be left behind?
Thanks again for your help!

Yes both parents must list the child or they risk being disqualified if selected. And yes, the child's photo is required.

p.s. Please post once and wait for a response.

Sm1smom one more question. What happens if they get married after they enter but only one of them is selected as a GC Loterry recipient, would the other one be eligible too? I am just curious how that works in the event that they make their relationship legal or would just one of them be able to reside in the US and the other one will be left behind?
Thanks again for your help!

If one person gets selected (and they get married either before or after the selection), the spouse can be added by the selectee and they'll both be eligible for the IV.

Been a silent follower, cohabitation is recognised in the new law in Kenya. I included my spouse in the application, will it be a problem.

Been a silent follower, cohabitation is recognised in the new law in Kenya. I included my spouse in the application, will it be a problem.

As a silent follower, you would have observed what we've already said regarding domestic partners or common law relationships. Cohabitation, just like those other two is not recognized as being in a married relationship for DV purpose. You there should have selected unmarried and submitted your eDV registration as single.

It's not what local law recognizes, it's what US law recognizes. For example:
- you need a formal marriage certificate or evidence of a traditional ceremony even where local law recognizes common-law marriages
- you may only bring one spouse even if local law recognizes polygamy (and I believe you need to divorce the others before the visa will be granted)
- gay marriage partners are accepted by the US even if they are from countries where gay marriage is illegal (and therefore married outside their country of residence)

Hi Dman,

I hope you get some good news on this DV 2018. Luck might be on your side on this lottery :)

Same to you my friend. I don't know I'm more relaxed this time... when it comes to waiting of course :D

I hope everyone make it through this time :)

Same to you my friend. I don't know I'm more relaxed this time... when it comes to waiting of course :D

I hope everyone make it through this time :)[/QUOTE

Yes. Its a lottery and we all depend on luck. Meanwhile I continue with normal life activities :)

Hi peeps,
I still haven't applied for the dv lottery. I went to the camera house and got one taken today, came home opened the email and had a quick look, the photo has a shadow can I still use it. ...what can I do now? Any advice... shall I use last year's photo? Is there anyone awake to answer my questions. Thanks

Hi peeps,
I still haven't applied for the dv lottery. I went to the camera house and got one taken today, came home opened the email and had a quick look, the photo has a shadow can I still use it. ...what can I do now? Any advice... shall I use last year's photo? Is there anyone awake to answer my questions. Thanks

The FAQs this year specifically say you will be disqualified for using a previous photo.

Our successful photos had small shadows. I have no idea how these compare to the one on your photo though.

Hi SusieQQQ, thank you for your reply. I will go and get another photo taken, it's only $25. Mine has a shadow on the neck. It is getting a bit late. Wouldn't want to leave it for after the 30th of October. You guys are so lucky to have been selected I feel it's getting a bit harder to get selected, probably because there are so many applicants now.
I have 1% chance of getting selected. Britsimon is correct when he says 100 years to get selected is how much chances we have. It's a needle in the haystack- a needle has more chance of getting found. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Hi SusieQQQ, thank you for your reply. I will go and get another photo taken, it's only $25. Mine has a shadow on the neck. It is getting a bit late. Wouldn't want to leave it for after the 30th of October. You guys are so lucky to have been selected I feel it's getting a bit harder to get selected, probably because there are so many applicants now.
I have 1% chance of getting selected. Britsimon is correct when he says 100 years to get selected is how much chances we have. It's a needle in the haystack- a needle has more chance of getting found. Thank you for your help.

I don't believe that the chances of being selected have changed much at all in the past few years. It's been around 1% for years. Your impression of so many of us being "lucky" is because this is a forum where most of us are that 1%...

Good luck to you on this DV 2018. Hope we are part of that small % of winners next year.

I don't believe that the chances of being selected have changed much at all in the past few years. It's been around 1% for years. Your impression of so many of us being "lucky" is because this is a forum where most of us are that 1%...

I agree with you SusieQQQ, this forum is a valuable resource for us all. Thank you.