• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Thanks for the confirmation.

I reread the AOS FAQs on the spreadsheet again. Understand that I do not mail the package until the number becomes current. But still not sure when do I suppose to file the DS-260. It says "...the fact that filing the memo now allows for the possibility of filing 2 months may also make it appear like it's a 6 months processing." Does "meno" mean the DS-260? So if I file it now, does it make the process longer?

Thanks,
hellomyfriend

The section you quoted from the AOS process spreadsheet has nothing to do with the DS260 form submission. One of the specific questions on the FAQ tab is actually "when do I need to submit form DS260?" So are you saying the response to that doesn't quite answer your question?

You do realize the AOS process spreadsheet has other tabs besides the FAQ tab? The 'AOS Process' tab for instance is actually a step by step guide of what to do when.

I'm guessing you're probably thinking it's easier for me to provide you with a direct answer and not keep referring you to the spreadsheet. I however prefer to do exactly that because I feel the spreadsheet already has all the answers to the common/frequently asked questions.

That spreadsheet has a lot more useful information than most are giving it credit for - I wish I had such a tool when I went through this process.

Hello,

Thank you very much for all the information, it is very helpful for me.

I have one question:

I am doing AOS. I have already sent DS260 form, but after that we moved to new apartment. DS 260 has certain fields like current address, and address where they will send green card, etc.
Do we need to unlock and change DS260 for address again?

I thought address change is critical on adjust of status, but still I want to confirm.

Hello,

Thank you very much for all the information, it is very helpful for me.

I have one question:

I am doing AOS. I have already sent DS260 form, but after that we moved to new apartment. DS 260 has certain fields like current address, and address where they will send green card, etc.
Do we need to unlock and change DS260 for address again?

I thought address change is critical on adjust of status, but still I want to confirm.

The address you'll be listing on your I-485 form for the AOS petition is what matters. What you have on the DS260 form will not be used for the GC.

Hi,

My country doesn't have an official birth certificate but issues something equivalent which can be obtained either from the home country or the embassy.

Does the USCIS require the birth certificate from the home country or can we use the one from the embassy?

Dear Sm1smom,

I know that it is very early for AOS process of DV 2018. I just have a request regarding DV 2018 AOS Timeline. Is it possible to add the country of birth (or whether selectee is from 6 banned country by executive order) to the timeline? This can give very useful information to people like me who are in a similar situation and are worried about the future.

Hi,

My country doesn't have an official birth certificate but issues something equivalent which can be obtained either from the home country or the embassy.

Does the USCIS require the birth certificate from the home country or can we use the one from the embassy?

What does the reciprocity page for that country say?

Hi,

The birth certificate is required to be "issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted."

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Dear Sm1smom,

I know that it is very early for AOS process of DV 2018. I just have a request regarding DV 2018 AOS Timeline. Is it possible to add the country of birth (or whether selectee is from 6 banned country by executive order) to the timeline? This can give very useful information to people like me who are in a similar situation and are worried about the future.

I'm quite reluctant to add a country of birth column to the Timeline spreadsheet - I consider that personal information

What does the reciprocity page for that country say?

I had no idea about reciprocity pages, thanks for the info.

On the page, it mentions the document's name and says you can get it from the civil records department in the home country but does not mention anything about getting it from the embassy.

However, the document I receive either from the home country or the embassy is it same. Basically the only difference is the issuer.

The birth certificate is required to be "issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth, showing the date and place of birth and the parentage of the applicant, based upon the original registration of birth. Important Notice: You must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted."

Thanks for the reply. I see here that it mentions "issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth". However, those documents are for consular processing, right? Would it apply the same to AOS cases?

Guys, pay attention, USCIS released new version of form I-485. The size was slightly increased, and now it contains of 18 pages instead of 6 :)

As I understood, if you submit the new version, you don't need to fill G-325(A).

Sorry, I cannot post links.

Thanks for the reply. I see here that it mentions "issued by the official custodian of birth records in the country of birth". However, those documents are for consular processing, right? Would it apply the same to AOS cases?

I'm sensing a reluctance to get the document directly from your home country - why? Wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution by doing just that rather than trying to figure out if the instruction is only for CP and not applicable to AOS?

Anyway, I don't know. All I know is the fact that I followed the exact same instructions when I went through the process.

I'm sensing a reluctance to get the document directly from your home country - why? Wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution by doing just that rather than trying to figure out if the instruction is only for CP and not applicable to AOS?

Anyway, I don't know. All I know is the fact that I followed the exact same instructions when I went through the process.
It's a rather convoluted process to get the document from my home county, that's why I am reluctant. But think will try to get it to avoid any complications later. Thanks for the help.

Redesigned I-485

USCIS published a revised I-485 effective 6/26/2017. USCIS is still accepting the 1/17/17 edition for now, but will only accept this edition until 8/25/2017. From 8/26/2017, only the 6/26/17 edition will be accepted by the Chicago Lockbox.

My suggestion is for all DV2018 AOS applicants to use the new version, including those who plan on taking advantage of the early filing memo by submitting their AOS package in early August.

The 6/26/17 version is a lot more comprehensive than the previous version(s) - it requires a lot more information on the part of the applicant.

Form G-325(A) is no longer required with the new form.
It has sections that specifically addresses DV selectees.
It also says DV selectees do not need to submit evidence of financial support. Yey :D - I can see some selectees doing backflips and rejoicing over this. Nonetheless, I encourage those who have these to still include them with their package.

I will updating the AOS process spreadsheet with this new information when time permits, but wanted to share this new development upfront with you guys pending the spreadsheet update.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-introduces-redesigned-form-green-card-applicants

Hi Mom,

I found their statement about financial support :), in addition, USCIS requires Evidence of Relationship, i.e. 'Evidence that any derivative applicants were originally included in the DV lottery entry' (page 39 of Instructions for I-485). I am confused with this evidence, because there is nothing about relatives in both confirmation letter and 1NL. Or DS-260 should be presented as evidence?

Hi guys.

I have a question. My wife won the visa lottery.

My sister's husband will sponsor us with the affidavit of support. Which form should we use? I-864 or I-134.

I appreciate your guidance, thank you

Hi guys.

I have a question. My wife won the visa lottery.

My sister's husband will sponsor us with the affidavit of support. Which form should we use? I-864 or I-134.

I appreciate your guidance, thank you

Have you gone through the AOS spreadsheet?

Hi Mom,

I found their statement about financial support :), in addition, USCIS requires Evidence of Relationship, i.e. 'Evidence that any derivative applicants were originally included in the DV lottery entry' (page 39 of Instructions for I-485). I am confused with this evidence, because there is nothing about relatives in both confirmation letter and 1NL. Or DS-260 should be presented as evidence?

Yup! You, like most Selectees wouldn't have that, not unless you saved a copy of your eDV registration form before submitting it.

USCIS will have access to that information from your KCC file (they will request your file from KCC before adjudicating your AOS petition). So don't sweat the confusing instruction on the I-485, I believe someone was trying to impress their supervisor by trying to show they have a good understanding of the DV lottery when they slotted in that hard to comply with requirement.

Also I am of the opinion that what the instruction says about DV based AOS not requiring financial documents is misleading - I believe that instruction will cause a delay in adjudicating some cases. DV Selectees like all other GC applicants are expected to be able to prove they will not constitute a public charge and 9 FAM 302.8-2 still talks about DV selectees using I-134 to overcome being found inadmissible on the basis of being a public charge.