• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Is this to make the appointment?

Leave it in blank. At the beginning I couldnt proceed when leaving it blank (I'm also a F1 holder). I tried again a few days after and it proceeded to set the appointment without the A-number.

Appointment for what, if I may ask?

Hi,

So I'm currently filling out the Ds-260 form. Have a question to do with my address, so I want to do consular processing from Ireland but I'm currently living in the USA. My current visa is up in August so I'll be returning home then. I'm just wondering do I put my current USA address in the 'present address' section. Where do I put in my Irish address? In the 'Mailing address section'? I just want to make sure that I'll be doing consular processing from Ireland.

Thanks

Is this to make the appointment?

Leave it in blank. At the beginning I couldnt proceed when leaving it blank (I'm also a F1 holder). I tried again a few days after and it proceeded to set the appointment without the A-number.

No it's not for an appointment. Im filling out the I-485 and G-325 forms and they both ask for it. Was your application delayed and/or did you have to resend your application packet because of leaving A# blank?

Hi,

So I'm currently filling out the Ds-260 form. Have a question to do with my address, so I want to do consular processing from Ireland but I'm currently living in the USA. My current visa is up in August so I'll be returning home then. I'm just wondering do I put my current USA address in the 'present address' section. Where do I put in my Irish address? In the 'Mailing address section'? I just want to make sure that I'll be doing consular processing from Ireland.

Thanks

You can list your Ireland address under the present address in this case, it shouldn't be an issue.

Hi mom,

Three questions please:

1. On the spreadsheet the form I-134 is listed as 'if applicable'. How to determine if it is applicable in my case? I read that that can also be substituted by sufficient financial information i.e. bank statements.
2. So far I have filled the DS-260 form and payed the $330 administrative fee. Am I also supposed to pay the Affidavit of Support fee as soon as possible? I am very confused now that I found out about the need to demonstrate that you will not be a public charge.
3. I seem to have all the papers in place but I am very paranoid about not sending out papers/payments in time. After submitting DS-260 and paying the $330, am I essentially waiting for the receipt and the 2nd notification letter from KCC to include in the packet, which I am preparing currently.

Thank you so much again

You can list your Ireland address under the present address in this case, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply. So I should put current american address in as a pervious address, and but my irish address as my present address? should it be an issue that the dates are wrong?

Can general questions about the application process be asked at the INFOPASS appointments, or are those exclusively for pending cases?

Hi mom,

Three questions please:

1. On the spreadsheet the form I-134 is listed as 'if applicable'. How to determine if it is applicable in my case? I read that that can also be substituted by sufficient financial information i.e. bank statements.
2. So far I have filled the DS-260 form and payed the $330 administrative fee. Am I also supposed to pay the Affidavit of Support fee as soon as possible? I am very confused now that I found out about the need to demonstrate that you will not be a public charge.
3. I seem to have all the papers in place but I am very paranoid about not sending out papers/payments in time. After submitting DS-260 and paying the $330, am I essentially waiting for the receipt and the 2nd notification letter from KCC to include in the packet, which I am preparing currently.

Thank you so much again

1. Applicable if you're unable to demonstrate you have enough income/savings to convince the IO you're not likely to become a public charge.

2. There's no fee associated with the I-134 - the spreadsheet clearly doesn't list a fee for that, right?

3. Yes you're waiting for the payment receipt, the 2NL AND for your CN to become current.

Can general questions about the application process be asked at the INFOPASS appointments, or are those exclusively for pending cases?

Yes general questions about the process can be asked of course. But don't be surprised if you leave the appointment being more confused about the process than you were before you got there.

I wonder if the poster is confusing the 2 abbreviations of AOS.

I think he's getting himself confused by the I-864 (affidavit of support for family based AOS petitions) which requires a filing fee.

That's the problem when they start going from sites to sites and wouldn't pay attention to the simple step by step process already listed on spreadsheet. I mean, this is the same person asking about going on an INFOPASS to gather some information about the process.

Hi,

So on my DV lottery application form I included my middle name, but its not on my passport only my birth cert. I'm wondering should I include my middle name on my DS-260 form to keep it inline with my application form. Even though my middle name isn't on my passport, only my birth cert

Hi,

So on my DV lottery application form I included my middle name, but its not on my passport only my birth cert. I'm wondering should I include my middle name on my DS-260 form to keep it inline with my application form. Even though my middle name isn't on my passport, only my birth cert

Yes you should.

I have been told the problem with doing AOS is the long time the background check could take (which may make you lose your eligibility past the end of the fiscal year). However, I read somewhere that it's possible to request for the FBI to do expedited background check? Does anyone know anything?

I have been told the problem with doing AOS is the long time the background check could take (which may make you lose your eligibility past the end of the fiscal year). However, I read somewhere that it's possible to request for the FBI to do expedited background check? Does anyone know anything?

What you've been told is not correct.

Anyone likely to be subjected to a prolonged background check under the AOS process will face exactly the same thing under CP. The bad news for anyone currently based in the US who opts for CP and ends up under AP (prolonged background check) is that such a person is effectively stuck outside the US, with their life in the US at a standstill until the background check clears.

AOS petitioners cannot request an expedited background check. The FOs however can use their discretion to request for one if it looks like the petition has been pending for a while and the applicable FY is about to end.

What you've been told is not correct.

Anyone likely to be subjected to a prolonged background check under the AOS process will face exactly the same thing under CP. The bad news for anyone currently based in the US who opts for CP and ends up under AP (prolonged background check) is that such a person is effectively stuck outside the US, with their life in the US at a standstill until the background check clears.

AOS petitioners cannot request an expedited background check. The FOs however can use their discretion to request for one if it looks like the petition has been pending for a while and the applicable FY is about to end.

Thank you. Isn't the case that if there are no issues, with CP you can have it approved as quick as 3 weeks vs months with AOS? This year they selected a large pool so it's not only about whether the FY is about to end, but also running out of visas. Would you still advise AOS for someone in the US then?

How many months in average did AOS applicants had to wait from the time they filed until they got it approved?
Thank you!!!

Thank you. Isn't the case that if there are no issues, with CP you can have it approved as quick as 3 weeks vs months with AOS? This year they selected a large pool so it's not only about whether the FY is about to end, but also running out of visas. Would you still advise AOS for someone in the US then?

How many months in average did AOS applicants had to wait from the time they filed until they got it approved?
Thank you!!!

Same thing with AOS, if there's no issue with your background check, you'll get approved after the interview. The months of waiting for the background check to clear is the same with both options if that is applicable.

AOS timing from filing to case adjudication varies from FO to FO. Take a look at all the Timelines spreadsheets to get an idea of the duration for your FO, or any other FO listed there.

I allow each person to determine on their own if AOS is viable for them - I don't know their specific situation so I cannot broadly advise on which way to go based on just being in the US. Weigh the pros and cons (already listed on the AOS process spreadsheet) and decide on which process is best suited for your.

When sending a DV administrative fee, the DoJ wants a self-addressed stamped envelope. Silly question: is there any particular size I should use?

Hi again,

Do you know how long does it take for uscis to send the DV payment receipt ?
I am going to move in the next month, so my address is going to be changed. I wonder if it takes longer than a month, so give them the new address.

Thanks