• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Not sure if we're allowed to get political on here, but Trump was not part of the plan... Anyone having second thoughts about being an immigrant in the United States?

I am completely devastated about the election of Trump. I always said to myself that if he did get elected, I would never be one of those people threatening to leave, but that's because I NEVER believed he would actually win. And now that the unthinkable has actually happened, I did find myself on Tuesday night having doubts about my decision to live here. What I love about the United States is its diversity and opportunity, and I feel like both of those values were defeated on Tuesday night. How could I possibly continue living in a country that willfully elected such an outwardly hateful person?

I have moved past those doubts now, and reassure myself that the majority of this country did vote for Hillary Clinton, it was only the outdated electoral college system that screwed us over. I reassure myself that there are plenty of people out there who are ready to protest against any Trump policy that threatens people's rights or moves to tear families apart. I remember that the thing I love the most about this country, being how different it is, means I must accept the good with the bad that comes with that. I love many things about this country and when you love something, you fight for it. And I am ready to fight.

Plus:

Joint Statement from California Legislative Leaders on Result of Presidential Election http://asmdc.org/speaker/news-room/...ve-leaders-on-result-of-presidential-election

Today, we woke up feeling like strangers in a foreign land, because yesterday Americans expressed their views on a pluralistic and democratic society that are clearly inconsistent with the values of the people of California.

We have never been more proud to be Californians.

By a margin in the millions, Californians overwhelmingly rejected politics fueled by resentment, bigotry, and misogyny.

The largest state of the union and the strongest driver of our nation’s economy has shown it has its surest conscience as well.

California is – and must always be – a refuge of justice and opportunity for people of all walks, talks, ages and aspirations – regardless of how you look, where you live, what language you speak, or who you love.

California has long set an example for other states to follow. And California will defend its people and our progress. We are not going to allow one election to reverse generations of progress at the height of our historic diversity, scientific advancement, economic output, and sense of global responsibility.

We will be reaching out to federal, state and local officials to evaluate how a Trump Presidency will potentially impact federal funding of ongoing state programs, job-creating investments reliant on foreign trade, and federal enforcement of laws affecting the rights of people living in our state. We will maximize the time during the presidential transition to defend our accomplishments using every tool at our disposal.

While Donald Trump may have won the presidency, he hasn’t changed our values. America is greater than any one man or party. We will not be dragged back into the past. We will lead the resistance to any effort that would shred our social fabric or our Constitution.

California was not a part of this nation when its history began, but we are clearly now the keeper of its future.

----
Of course, if you sympathize with his Trump and his voters, there are states that you will find a happy home in, too. This underscores what we've often said on this forum: the US is so big and so diverse that no matter what you're looking for, you'll find it somewhere.

This makes me so damn happy to be living in California. :)

Hello everyone - long time! I know I'm a DV2015-er, forgive me for posting here.

Back in the days of DV2015 being a selectee was much more stressful. Hoping and praying each month to make the cutoff. Refreshing your browser constantly to see if visa bulletin had changed. Hours in excel multiplying cutoffs from previous years to calculate your chances of an interview. You kids don't know how good you've got it!

But anyway here's my story - I still haven't moved to the USA!
Is this the record for latest person to move after winning?

Here are the dates:
  • September 2015: I had my interview in September 2015. Two weeks before the DV year closed.
  • February 2016: Activation trip just before visa expiration.
  • Febuary 2017: Move to USA
Everything stretched to its maximum limit. Consider that some DV2015-ers moved in October 2014, 2 years and 5 months ahead of me.

The reason I'm slow is because of the job situation. I didn't want to settle for low paying jobs so after applying online for a year, I've finally been successful! (I could write pages on remote job searching. tip: Indeed .com search alerts are your friend )

Have a great weekend everyone!

The reason I'm slow is because of the job situation. I didn't want to settle for low paying jobs so after applying online for a year, I've finally been successful! (I could write pages on remote job searching. tip: Indeed .com search alerts are your friend )

You should write some tips on remote job searching! I reckon there would be heaps interested.. me for one!!

The popular vote often gets screwed by the checks and balances put into the system to stop mob rule. Julia Gillard 'won' in 2010 despite having lost the popular vote by around 600K. It's an interesting topic whether to allow popular vote to dominate.

Hello everyone - long time! I know I'm a DV2015-er, forgive me for posting here.

Back in the days of DV2015 being a selectee was much more stressful. Hoping and praying each month to make the cutoff. Refreshing your browser constantly to see if visa bulletin had changed. Hours in excel multiplying cutoffs from previous years to calculate your chances of an interview. You kids don't know how good you've got it!

Here are the dates:
  • September 2015: I had my interview in September 2015. Two weeks before the DV year closed.
Everything stretched to its maximum limit. Consider that some DV2015-ers moved in October 2014, 2 years and 5 months ahead of me.

I have several job related questions... but the main one is, did you have a degree that you had to get evaluated to the US? Who did you use if you did, and did you need the general analysis or course-by course? Thanks.

Here are the dates:

Write those tips! It obviously depends on the type of work you do. If your experience is specialized/niche/geographically limited it is certainly possible and sensible to reach out job hunting before you arrive. But for most people, that won't make sense. If you are an accountant for example - you can find that work anywhere and whilst you may take an initial step back in the career ladder somewhat to start with, cream rises to the top. Immigrants tend to do well here because they are the type of people willing to put it on the line and work hard rather than sitting at home in their comfort zone. That immigrant mindset wins in America. So - in that case, the sooner you can be here, the better.

I am completely devastated about the election of Trump. I always said to myself that if he did get elected, I would never be one of those people threatening to leave, but that's because I NEVER believed he would actually win. And now that the unthinkable has actually happened, I did find myself on Tuesday night having doubts about my decision to live here. What I love about the United States is its diversity and opportunity, and I feel like both of those values were defeated on Tuesday night. How could I possibly continue living in a country that willfully elected such an outwardly hateful person?

Trump's rhetoric 'skills' aside ... where do people here read exactly that he would be 'against diversity and opportunity'? And why do you think Trump being actually voted in, would be 'unthinkable'? Perhaps the media was too biased on their reporting (influencing)?

As far as I understand, he is against illegal immigration and he proposes to get tough on criminal illegals! - Would this be wrong in your view?

With regard to his comments on 'Muslim immigration', I think this was in reference to considering a temporary HOLD on allowing non-citizens/non-residents in from certain countries, until the grave situation on Islamic terrorism threats in Europe became clearer. I believe he was stupid for some of these remarks, but the bottom line is that they may well have been a tough response to the global events that no one can ignore any longer. Trump made specific references to Germany, on a number of occasions during his campaign, and I don't blame him for this - since I am pretty well versed on the developments over there.

The 'Great Wall' on the southern border - again, while I don't even want to comment on his rhetoric, if it is a proven fact that the extend of illegal immigration is such that the border is not considered secure but is supposed to be secure, then maybe half the nation agrees with building (finishing) a 'secure' actual physical barrier along that border.

People can have different opinions about these things, but again where does Trump say he is against the idea of diversity and opportunity? I don't see it.

Monkey Man, you definitely have to share your tips.

Write those tips! It obviously depends on the type of work you do. If your experience is specialized/niche/geographically limited it is certainly possible and sensible to reach out job hunting before you arrive. But for most people, that won't make sense. If you are an accountant for example - you can find that work anywhere and whilst you may take an initial step back in the career ladder somewhat to start with, cream rises to the top. Immigrants tend to do well here because they are the type of people willing to put it on the line and work hard rather than sitting at home in their comfort zone. That immigrant mindset wins in America. So - in that case, the sooner you can be here, the better.

From my perspective, I did take a lower paying job when I got here. Now I have a job that pays the same in Australia AND I have American work experience, which is worth its weight in gold from a career perspective. I didn't mind taking the lower paying job because I knew I could prove myself once I was in. I was confident that the lower paying job was temporary.

As @Britsimon says, the immigrant mindset of hustle and take chances will work in your favor here.

Trump's rhetoric 'skills' aside ... where do people here read exactly that he would be 'against diversity and opportunity'? And why do you think Trump being actually voted in, would be 'unthinkable'? Perhaps the media was too biased on their reporting (influencing)?

As far as I understand, he is against illegal immigration and he proposes to get tough on criminal illegals! - Would this be wrong in your view?

With regard to his comments on 'Muslim immigration', I think this was in reference to considering a temporary HOLD on allowing non-citizens/non-residents in from certain countries, until the grave situation on Islamic terrorism threats in Europe became clearer. I believe he was stupid for some of these remarks, but the bottom line is that they may well have been a tough response to the global events that no one can ignore any longer. Trump made specific references to Germany, on a number of occasions during his campaign, and I don't blame him for this - since I am pretty well versed on the developments over there.

The 'Great Wall' on the southern border - again, while I don't even want to comment on his rhetoric, if it is a proven fact that the extend of illegal immigration is such that the border is not considered secure but is supposed to be secure, then maybe half the nation agrees with building (finishing) a 'secure' actual physical barrier along that border.

People can have different opinions about these things, but again where does Trump say he is against the idea of diversity and opportunity? I don't see it.

Time will tell whether he tries to implement his ideas or whether he backs off some of the more ignorant statements he made during the campaign. But his position on the temporary hold was clearly clumsy at the very least. You can't take his statements in a vacuum. There was a lot of anti Muslim sentiment within his campaign. He made and allowed others to make "accusations" of being a Muslim (if that is really even the term for someone who simply believes in a different God) against Obama. Then he singled out Muslims from the Middle East countries as being the threat. Let's not pretend this wasn't bigoted, ignorant, rhetoric, designed to stir up anti Muslim sentiment. It clearly was.

As for the wall - NO - half the nation do NOT agree with building a wall. First Trump didn't get the votes of half the nation, not even half the voters. He didn't even get the majority of the voters. And when those numbers are put aside, there are many that voted for Trump that still would not want to build the wall - even if it didn't cost a dime. I daresay that IF the true budget is ever discussed for the building of such a wall, support for that idea would evaporate pretty quickly.

So - Trump is our president elect now. The man who appeared before us during the campaign was a deeply flawed individual - utterly unqualified to be the president. BUT, I am hoping that he will understand the responsibility he has and will be a more thinking person when he takes office in January. He is already back tracking in several important areas, so the signs are that he will do just that. Who knows, he might even turn out OK. If not - I am hopeful that he can't do too much damage in 4 years.

For DV'ers going through the process now, I can say the country didn't fundamentally change a few days ago. It's a big country with lots of opportunity. You can choose to live anywhere you like and there are plenty of fine places to live whichever side of the political spectrum you feel most comfortable. Republican policies are normally include measures about entrepreneurial freedom, smaller government, lower taxes - all things that help immigrants in a way. So - it isn't all bad news (not that DT is a real Republican).

If after 18 months of Trump victimizing African Americans, Latinos, Muslims, women -- claiming that our current President was not born in the U.S., claiming that the a judge of Mexican descent could not do his job properly because he was Mexican, claiming that John McCain is not a war hero because he was captured, claiming that Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers, and making fun of a disabled reporter -- if you don't see how he is against the values that make this country great already, then we obviously have extraordinarily different interpretations of Trump's dangerous rhetoric.

Yes, it is completely unthinkable to me that so many people could vote for someone so hateful -- but as it goes, this is an enormous country with lots of different viewpoints, some worse than others, and it probably shouldn't have been so unthinkable to so many people that this man could reach the highest office in the world on such a hateful platform.

OTG, are you currently living in the US? Did you watch his campaign speeches? I don't know actually what his policies are to be honest because he changes them all the time, partly because he often said things that even he himself must have realized were totally ignorant of facts or plain unconstitutional (and Rudy Giuliani just came out and said outright that some of his promises were just campaign talk, and Trump himself is already talking back some of what he said).... but I do know that the level of hatred and vitriol he showed against ordinary people based on race, body size, and mocking a reporter for a disability are unacceptable to many people as being a role model to anyone in a country that is supposed to value equality of opportunities, merit and hard work as the route to the American dream. Then there is the matter of Mike Pence and his promises to roll back what many consider to be landmarks of progress in equality and human rights in the same way he has tried to do in his home state of Indiana.

However I'm not as worried as many others because younger voters are overwhelmingly more progressive and open minded, and demographic trends on age alone show clearly that these progressive voters will be in the majority before too long, even in currently red states. I don't necessarily think they will vote Dem, but they'll pull the GOP into the twenty first century. This is regardless of what the actual Trump presidency will look like, which is already looking like the great con before it even starts (2 examples: the wall is already becoming a fence, and lobbyists fill the team that supposedly would "drain the swamp"...). I have no desire to see him lead the country into disaster, and I hope he appoints enough smart people to stop him doing that, but I have a feeling he's going to end up being a totally standard republican president, which is not what people voted him in for.

Which is not to say i think Hillary would have been a better option, because I think the entire term would have been lame duck and obstructed. I do think both parties need to do serious soul-searching and figure out why they ended up with the two least popular candidates in US history and hopefully when 2020 rolls around, when many newbies here will be eligible to vote, we have two decent candidates to choose from.

Last edited:
If after 18 months of Trump victimizing African Americans, Latinos, Muslims, women -- claiming that our current President was not born in the U.S., claiming that the a judge of Mexican descent could not do his job properly because he was Mexican, claiming that John McCain is not a war hero because he was captured, claiming that Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers, and making fun of a disabled reporter -- if you don't see how he is against the values that make this country great already, then we obviously have extraordinarily different interpretations of Trump's dangerous rhetoric.

Yes, it is completely unthinkable to me that so many people could vote for someone so hateful -- but as it goes, this is an enormous country with lots of different viewpoints, some worse than others, and it probably shouldn't have been so unthinkable to so many people that this man could reach the highest office in the world on such a hateful platform.
Look, the election is over and the president elect has been chosen - as stipulated by the US Constitution. There really is not more to say about your rhetoric at this point, whichever candidate one happened to root for.

Look, the election is over and the president elect has been chosen - as stipulated by the US Constitution. There really is not more to say about your rhetoric at this point, whichever candidate one happened to root for.

So? The election is over, but the next four years still loom ahead of us. The people have the right to choose the President, but the rest of us also have the right to freedom of speech, to protest any policies of his we disagree with and to not allow a Trump presidency to be normalized. Ain't democracy grand?

So? The election is over, but the next four years still loom ahead of us. The people have the right to choose the President, but the rest of us also have the right to freedom of speech, to protest any policies of his we disagree with and to not allow a Trump presidency to be normalized. Ain't democracy grand?
Sorry having to break it to you, yet this forum is not a political platform to spread your personal political beliefs, it is a forum to share DV related advice and support. Please look for an appropriate forum somewhere on the Internet, surely there are many out there and folks (possibly) will be interested in what you have to say, politically. Surely Moderators of this forum are about to call the quorum to order?

Sorry having to break it to you, yet this forum is not a political platform to spread your personal political beliefs, it is a forum to share DV related advice and support. Please look for an appropriate forum somewhere on the Internet, surely there are many out there and folks (possibly) will be interested in what you have to say, politically. Surely Moderators of this forum are about to call the quorum to order?

I think it's a valid concern that can be discussed (to some extent). It's as natural as wanting to ask about how to get a job, or how to buy a car. Those things aren't strictly DV issues either - but about life in the USA for a new immigrant.

I think it's a valid concern that can be discussed (to some extent). It's as natural as wanting to ask about how to get a job, or how to buy a car. Those things aren't strictly DV issues either - but about life in the USA for a new immigrant.

I agree. It's not necessarily the case for people from OC or Western Europe, but there are people who want to come to the US to escape from oppression on factors such as religious belief or sexual orientation- so when a president-elect appears to threaten some of these things it is a valid question to ask. Perhaps needs a different thread though.

And actually, thinking about it - it is MORE valid than those other things because it is about immigration laws and the impact of the election on immigrants. FYI - I have had a lot of concerned questions on this topic on my blog. The concern is real.

And actually, thinking about it - it is MORE valid than those other things because it is about immigration laws and the impact of the election on immigrants. FYI - I have had a lot of concerned questions on this topic on my blog. The concern is real.
Oh, I am sure you do, Britsimon :) After telling folks in your blog that DJT becoming President was simply impossible and would just not be happening... Again, I don't blame you, I just think a DV sub-forum for OC applicants seems to be a rather unlikely place to get anything remotely resolved on the matter. Anyways...

I very much agree with Simon that a Trump presidency is naturally a very valid concern for current immigrants or new immigrants, and this is a great resource to discuss such concerns.

Though I don't think anybody should be doubting a move to the US because of it, if you are a member of the groups that Trump has maligned, I understand that coming here in this particular climate has some very real fears attached to it. While this doesn't really apply to OC-ers as much, I'm a part of many Australian groups that have vocalized fears of what this could mean for LEGAL immigration. Trump has already stated he wants to get rid of the J1 visa, which is a very popular route many Aussies take for coming here and eventually progressing to more permanent residency.

I am going to give Trump... *gag*... a chance, because I have to for my own sanity, and I'm happy to see that he has already softened his stance on things like Obamacare (something that should be very important to new immigrants needing inexpensive health insurance, particularly if you don't find a job straight away).