• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

You might have left this a bit late, I think. KCC will need enough time to process your DS260 form and schedule you for an interview by Sept 30th if you opt to change to CP now. Interview notices for Sept interview (for DS260 forms that have been processed) will be going out anytime from now.

So do you think I should hurry and ask to unlock my DS260. So I can change from AOS to CP.

That was a typo: it was supposed to read I'm surprised you haven't reached out to your congress man/woman by now ...

Reading what I wrote in context and considering the sentence directly before it should have revealed the omission in my post I believe - why indeed would I be surprised at you reaching out to your congress person for help when that is something I typically encourage when a case has been pending for a certain amount of time.
Thank you.

So do you think I should hurry and ask to unlock my DS260. So I can change from AOS to CP.

I suppose if you have no other choice, as in waiting back to complete AOS, then yes go ahead and make the change. Just be aware of the risk you're taking at this point in time by trying to change to CP.

I suppose if you have no other choice, as in waiting back to complete AOS, then yes go ahead and make the change. Just be aware of the risk you're taking at this point in time by trying to change to CP.
Thanks a lot! I understand how risky it is. I'm not going to change to CP. I will try AOS, hopefully. And wait until December for the surgery.

Thanks a lot! I understand how risky it is. I'm not going to change to CP. I will try AOS, hopefully. And wait until December for the surgery.

You can't waste anytime with AOS either, you need to submit your AOS package in the next couple of days.

I became GREEN with plastic in my hand. :) Yupeee

Submitted DS 260 in December, i485 early April,(current in May), bio metrics early May, interview notice middle June, interview early July (not approved on spot). Same day by email notified I am approved. From approval straight to status - your card is mailed. Today is my happiest day. Never received tracking number, never received production status. Just one beautiful USPS priority mail in my box. So grateful to this great nation giving me opportunity like nowhere else in the world.

There are no words to describe my gratitude and thankfulness to Britsimon and Sm1smom. You guys were my eyes and tutors in this process. Everything I needed I found on this forum. When I did not understand something on the official site, here was the answer. Always prompt and straight. The excel sheet is splendid and very educative. No bla blas. No waiting even a day for a answer. You guys must be something special when you want to help people through this not so easy process. And replying to everyone is not an easy task too_Once more THANK YOU.

For the applicants:
Be always informed and prompt at your best, believe in yourself, be honest and everything will gonna be fine. And have patience. You will need it. Good luck everyone and I wish the best to all of you in chasing the dream. I just started :) :)

Good luck and God Bless everyone,

I was called by the officer who interviewed us on June 23 letting us know that he received our KCC file; he went to the office today, on a Saturday to see if KCC sent our file. He said he will approve me and the kids on Monday, but he is still waiting for one background check for my husband, and then he will approve him as well. He said it's no big deal, and he will send a few emails on Monday to see what is holding up (one of the three checks did not clear yet). We are from Eastern Europe. We applied in November, did Biometrics in December, had the interview in June, and waited 3 more weeks for the approval. I was very surprised to receive a call on a Saturday! The congressional inquiry that we did in May played a role I believe - things started moving after that inquiry. Field office - Charleston, SC. I am very thankful for all the info I received from this forum -it saved us $4000- that's how much one lawyer requested for the whole process (J1 waiver & adjustment of status).!!! Again, many thanks, and wishing everybody that is still waiting a speedy positive answer.

Hi @Sm1smom ,

I just called KCC to check whether the FO has requested my file and she said "no". She told me to go to the FO and have them ask the file since time is running. My last infopass was in 5th July and the officer told me that my case was assigned to someone on the same day (July 5th). However, the person I talked during the infopass had no idea what the KCC file is.

1. Do you know whether it is possible to get an update about the case from the field office over the phone?
2.Would that be fine if I go for another infopass next week? or will that affect negatively on my case?

Last edited:
Hi @Sm1smom ,

I just called KCC to check whether the FO has requested my file and she said "no". She told me to go to the FO and have them ask the file since time is running. My last infopass was in 5th July and the officer told me that my case was assigned to someone on the same day (July 5th). However, the person I talked during the infopass had no idea what the KCC file is.

1. Do you know whether it is possible to get an update about the case from the field office over the phone?
2.Would that be fine if I go for another infopass next week? or will that affect negatively on my case?

1. There are no listed numbers for the FOs, so you can't get any update from your FO over the phone.

2. I recommend scheduling another INFOPASS for early August.

p.s. Contrary to what KCC told you, you cannot go to your FO and ask them to initiate a request for your KCC file - well, actually you can ask, but they will not oblige you. The front desk IOs may not know about the KCC file, the interviewing IO will know about it and the need to request for it before adjudicating your case.

1. There are no listed numbers for the FOs, so you can't get any update from your FO over the phone.

2. I recommend scheduling another INFOPASS for early August.

p.s. Contrary to what KCC told you, you cannot go to your FO and ask them to initiate a request for your KCC file - well, actually you can ask, but they will not oblige you. The front desk IOs may not know about the KCC file, the interviewing IO will know about it and the need to request for it before adjudicating your case.

Thanks a lot. I just scheduled an INFOPASS for august 1st.

Hey mom, one more question regarding I-134. I asked my friend if she can be a sponsor, but she asked me a lot of questions and wants to know what are the obligations for her, since in the instructions it says that :
"Sponsor and Beneficiary Liability
Under section 213 of the Act, if the person you are sponsoring becomes a public charge, the agency that provides
assistance may be able to sue you to recover the cost of the assistance..."

I have a bachelors degree from US college, 4 years of experience, but I haven't worked (on books) since march 2016(more than a year) - I mean I have a job that pays cash. But if they ask I will tell that I was in school ( I indeed took about 7 month GRE course which I finished in march 2017), now waiting for the interview which is scheduled for end of july. I would appreciate your advise: I have $15,000 on my bank account, would it be enough to show them or they might ask where I got the money from? Can I just tell them my parents support me and show them my bank statement? Or should I ask my friend to prepare I-134 for me and persuade her that she has no obligation, after all it's only to show them the document?

Hey mom, one more question regarding I-134. I asked my friend if she can be a sponsor, but she asked me a lot of questions and wants to know what are the obligations for her, since in the instructions it says that :
Under section 213 of the Act, if the person you are sponsoring becomes a public charge, the agency that provides

I have a bachelors degree from US college, 4 years of experience, but I haven't worked (on books) since march 2016(more than a year) - I mean I have a job that pays cash. But if they ask I will tell that I was in school ( I indeed took about 7 month GRE course which I finished in march 2017), now waiting for the interview which is scheduled for end of july. I would appreciate your advise: I have $15,000 on my bank account, would it be enough to show them or they might ask where I got the money from? Can I just tell them my parents support me and show them my bank statement? Or should I ask my friend to prepare I-134 for me and persuade her that she has no obligation, after all it's only to show them the document?
\

Not a good idea to plan to lie in your immigration interview.

I'm sorry I can not ask you to lie and tell immigration the money in your account is from your parents, especially if you earned that money by undertaking unauthorized employment. In as much as I'm highly interested and willing to assist all the selectees here in navigating through the process, I do not condone nor provide guidance on fraudulent immigration activities. If you have money in your bank account and you're asked about it, you should truthfully answer as to how the money came about.

As to the I-134, you can ask your friend to relax. That form is not enforceable - USCIS came up with form I-864 (which is not applicable to DV petitions by the way) when the courts ruled against the enforceability of form I-134.

I'm sorry I can not ask you to lie and tell immigration the money in your account is from your parents, especially if you earned that money by undertaking unauthorized employment. In as much as I'm highly interested and willing to assist all the selectees here in navigating through the process, I do not condone nor provide guidance on fraudulent immigration activities. If you have money in your bank account and you're asked about it, you should truthfully answer as to how the money came about.

As to the I-134, you can ask your friend to relax. That form is not enforceable - USCIS came up with form I-864 (which is not applicable to DV petitions by the way) when the courts ruled against the enforceability of form I-134.

Ok, I understand. I guess the best option is to try to get my friend to sign the affidavit. I totally understand you don't encourage to lie. I did not ask for it. But with the options that I have even asking somebody to prepare an affidavit is also a "lie" because I will not ask money from a sponsor/friend. What is truth is that I am not going to ask for benefits or whatever they call a public charge, but they want some paper for a prove. I was just wondering if a certain amount is sufficient (15K) if I don't get a sponsor eventually?

Ok, I understand. I guess the best option is to try to get my friend to sign the affidavit. I totally understand you don't encourage to lie. I did not ask for it. But with the options that I have even asking somebody to prepare an affidavit is also a "lie" because I will not ask money from a sponsor/friend. What is truth is that I am not going to ask for benefits or whatever they call a public charge, but they want some paper for a prove. I was just wondering if a certain amount is sufficient (15K) if I don't get a sponsor eventually?

As you can see by Simon's response, I wasn't the only one who read (maybe misread?? - giving you the benefit of the doubt) your initial post on how to answer how you came about the money in account as an attempt at lying.

If you feel the option of asking someone to prepare an affidavit of support for you is also a "lie" since you have no intention of asking the person for financial support, then don't provide one.

FYI: when USCIS asks for an affidavit of support to be submitted, it is not necessarily because they feel the person submitting it will "ask" the person preparing it for financial support in the long run.

And by the way, there's no guarantee they will even ask for it, but we simply tell petitioners to have it as a back up plan.

Fwiw I interpreted same way, and I don't think there's misinterpretation either... Person comes on here, says they knowingly worked illegally - clearly all involved want to avoid tax - wants to lie about what has been doing for past while (say in school rather than working), and thus also lie about where the money came from. Where's the misinterpretation???

Sheesh.

As you can see by Simon's response, I wasn't the only one who read (maybe misread?? - giving you the benefit of the doubt) your initial post on how to answer how you came about the money in account as an attempt at lying.

If you feel the option of asking someone to prepare an affidavit of support for you is also a "lie" since you have no intention of asking the person for financial support, then don't provide one.

FYI: when USCIS asks for an affidavit of support to be submitted, it is not necessarily because they feel the person submitting it will "ask" the person preparing it for financial support in the long run.

And by the way, there's no guarantee they will even ask for it, but we simply tell petitioners to have it as a back up plan.

Thanks)) That helps anyway.