• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Thanks for your response atx!

Hmm, I think you are right about that. Sucks that they still did not clear it for you, hopefully very soon.
Yes, I did ask specifically about the background check, but the thing is that the person at our Infopass kept telling us that he does not have access to see everything in the system. He told us that at this stage the next step is that we should be expecting the interview letter. That was the annoying thing in that Infopass, we always got some sort of answer, but often it was indirect and almost meaningless (maybe just to stop us from asking questions). Now that you tell me your example, I am thinking that maybe we should go there again in a week or so (hopefully speak to someone else) and ask that again.

On that subject, our Infopass that day was even stranger, the person first told us that they requested our file but are still waiting for KCC to send it to them. When we left the building I immediately called KCC and they specifically told me that the file was sent to our FO via an email attachment on 06/01/2017, and they recommended us to go back to USCIS to confirm that. We were really frustrated by the answer at the Infopass that contradicted what KCC says, so we got back into the building and asked the person at the front desk if we could clarify some misunderstanding regarding our case. That person was not very friendly and suggested we schedule another Infopass appointment, but he did look at our records and told us that everything looks fine (again, a useless answer!). We then left the building and decided to schedule another Infopass right away (same day, 06/23/2017), we got one for an hour later and we ended up getting the same person from the first Infopass. We explained that we just spoke to KCC and they recommended us to return and clarify, and the answer we got is ... yes, as I told you before, just wait for the appointment letter. We asked if he could confirm that the file was indeed received, and he told us that he does not have access to such information.
Anyways, really frustrating, especially that this person could not admit that he gave us wrong information in the first place. Next time we must speak to someone else.

Anyways, sorry for the long story, just thought it is relevant as an example of experience with Infopasses these days.
Thanks.
Same happened to me! I asked if USCIS requested the file from KCC at my infopass and the officer at the infopass said "YES, everything is here". So right after I got done at the infopass, I called KCC and they told me that my field office never called... So I went back inside the field office and requested to talk to a supervisor and only then did the field office request the file from KCC. Stay persistent! Good luck!

I would like some input on my situation. I have gone to my biometrics a the beginning of Feb. and my background check cleared on Feb. 17th. I have gone to 4 infopass appointments since and still no interview. The officers at the windows at the field office keep telling me to wait another 30 days but I am getting nervious. It has been 7 months since they had my file and 5 months since the biometrics cleared (and they confirmed my KCC file is there since April). Any ideas? My congressperson has not gotten back to me either. Is it worth contacting the USCIS ombudsperson?

JohnF. and John90, thanks for sharing the situation of your cases. Always good to hear the experience of other people. Really frustrating times, especially for you guys waiting so long for that. I really hope you get done with all this process very soon!
Al92, that is awesome to hear you finally completed the process, congratulations!!

Same happened to me! I asked if USCIS requested the file from KCC at my infopass and the officer at the infopass said "YES, everything is here". So right after I got done at the infopass, I called KCC and they told me that my field office never called... So I went back inside the field office and requested to talk to a supervisor and only then did the field office request the file from KCC. Stay persistent! Good luck!

I went to an infopass a month ago, and the officer also told me everything is good, the IO who handles DV cases has my case, and to wait for an interview letter. Still nothing and I'm going back today. Also called KCC to ask if my FO ever requested my file, answer is no.

So I'll see how my infopass goes later, and if I get the same answer, I'll do what you did and ask for a supervisor and hopefully they'll request my file from KCC. Sigh, I'm so worried....

I went for an infopass this morning (2nd one), I did one last month.

The officer was nice and after hearing about my case, he asked me to wait while he contacts the IO who has my case file to see why there is a delay in scheduling my interview. After 5 minutes of waiting, he informed me that the IO is away for the month. I asked what he means by being "away", and he said she was called to work in an ASC for a month and will be back in August. I asked when in August, he said he's not sure and that she informed him that she'll immediately start processing my case once she returns. I asked him if they could reassign my case to a different IO who's around so that my case can be completed sooner and he said no because she already has my case and is familiar with it. I also suspect that they might only have one IO who handles DV GC cases in this FO.

This is so ridiculous, has anyone had any experience like this? I guess there's nothing I can do now except to wait till I get an IL in August. This is incredibly frustrating....

Thanks for sharing your experiernce! Lets hope that you field office doesn't have too many dV cases since the IO would have only 2 months to process all of them... I am curious about one thing: My field office told me that the IO that reviews the cases actually doesn' schedule the interview but it is scheduled externally. Is that correct? I have another (my 5th) infopass next Tuesday btw. Has anyone contacted the ombudsman about their case or congressperson?

At our Infopass we were specifically told that it is the job of the "Scheduling Department" to schedule dates/times for interviews (and possibly sending the letter/s as well? ... not sure). The impression we got is that it is located somewhere in the FO and not externally, but I am not sure if that is true.

Hi Mom, Simon, all,

The AOS package of my wife (main applicant) and me (co-applicant) was received at Chicago Lockbox on 04/06/2017. Our FO is Honolulu, and our biometrics was completed on 05/16/2017. Since then we have been waiting for our IL, but we decided to schedule an Infopass on 06/23/2017 to see where it all stands (Simon, we went through your excellent list of items to address!). The person we spoke to at the Infopass appointment was very nice, but we felt that he was not very helpful. The information we could gather that day (also after speaking to KCC) is that our case was already requested by the Honolulu FO and was sent by KCC on 06/01/2017 (which, to my understanding means that the background check is already completed). At the infopass, we were told that the next step is to get the letter for the interview, a task that is the responsibility of the "Scheduling Department". We were also told that anytime we could drop off a letter requesting to expedite the process, which may or may not help. The person also told us that since DV cases are not very common in that particular FO, they usually group the DV cases and try to schedule their interviews in between the more common ones (I guess, employment-, marriage-based, etc.). We also mentioned the urgency of DV cases and were told that they are aware of it. That person also told us that there is still time and we should not worry, unless we do not receive the IL by the end of August which then we should "freak out".

I follow the DV2017 timeline closely, but this year there are no other Honolulu FO cases on it, so it is not clear to me how they handle such cases. Is there anyone on this blog with Honolulu being his FO? If so, could you tell us something about your experience?

What we wanted to ask here is whether you think it would be wise to wait until the end of July or beginning of August to schedule another Infopass; or, maybe first we should send a letter to expedite the case? What would you suggest as the best approach given our present situation?

Thanks for your help!

Both DV2014 and DV2016 Timelines spreadsheets have Honolulu FO listed - on average it seems like the processing took about 4 months. I believe your case is very much on track, you can however schedule another infopass for the end of July if the IL still hasn't shown up by then. Your FO is clearly used to handling DV cases.

Oh, one other thing - the FO requesting or receiving the KCC does not mean one's background check has cleared. The background check doesn't need to clear before the FO requests the KCC file.

Hi Mom, Simon, would you mind sharing your opinion about my questions on post#3196 (post#3198 is related as well).
Thanks!

Quoting the actual post makes it easier to reference and respond to than quoting the post number - it's a bit of a pain, at least for me, to start scrolling back and searching g for the referenced number.

Thanks for sharing your experiernce! Lets hope that you field office doesn't have too many dV cases since the IO would have only 2 months to process all of them... I am curious about one thing: My field office told me that the IO that reviews the cases actually doesn' schedule the interview but it is scheduled externally. Is that correct? I have another (my 5th) infopass next Tuesday btw. Has anyone contacted the ombudsman about their case or congressperson?

Interviews are scheduled by the applicable FO (Field Office) - of course it doesn't mean the IO (Immigration Officer) in charge of a specific case personally schedules each of the cases they are responsible for.

Of course we have petitioners who have used the services of their congress man/woman. I'm surprised you have reached out to yours by now to seek their assistance in following up with your case.

I went for an infopass this morning (2nd one), I did one last month.

The officer was nice and after hearing about my case, he asked me to wait while he contacts the IO who has my case file to see why there is a delay in scheduling my interview. After 5 minutes of waiting, he informed me that the IO is away for the month. I asked what he means by being "away", and he said she was called to work in an ASC for a month and will be back in August. I asked when in August, he said he's not sure and that she informed him that she'll immediately start processing my case once she returns. I asked him if they could reassign my case to a different IO who's around so that my case can be completed sooner and he said no because she already has my case and is familiar with it. I also suspect that they might only have one IO who handles DV GC cases in this FO.

This is so ridiculous, has anyone had any experience like this? I guess there's nothing I can do now except to wait till I get an IL in August. This is incredibly frustrating....

Schedule another INFOPASS for the end of August, and if they tell you the same thing about the IO assigned to your case being on another assignment, ask to speak with a supervisor. The request for the possibility of the case being reassigned should be addressed to a supervisor, not the other giving out the information.

Both DV2014 and DV2016 Timelines spreadsheets have Honolulu FO listed - on average it seems like the processing took about 4 months. I believe your case is very much on track, you can however schedule another infopass for the end of July if the IL still hasn't shown up by then. Your FO is clearly used to handling DV cases.

Oh, one other thing - the FO requesting or receiving the KCC does not mean one's background check has cleared. The background check doesn't need to clear before the FO requests the KCC file.

Thank you very much for the response! That is great information that I missed, I'll go back and look at the older timelines. Great, if our case follows their average we should complete it in the next couple of weeks. Good to know about the background check, will definitely make sure we get a clear answer on our next INFOPASS.

Thanks again!

Interviews are scheduled by the applicable FO (Field Office) - of course it doesn't mean the IO (Immigration Officer) in charge of a specific case personally schedules each of the cases they are responsible for.

Of course we have petitioners who have used the services of their congress man/woman. I'm surprised you have reached out to yours by now to seek their assistance in following up with your case.
Thanks for your input. Why are you surprised I reached out to my congressperson? There are very few people from MN in the last years timelines and the processing times between biometrics and IL vary greatly. I just am worried at this point since they had my file and cleared background now for 5 months.

Hi everyone,
I'm a F1 student, I've selected for the DV2017.
I submitted the DS 260 in October. I was supposed to go for an AOS. But now I have to take a semester off from school to go back home and have a surgery. Can I transfer from AOS to CP? (My case number is current)
I have not sent my file yet to Chicago.

Thanks for your input. Why are you surprised I reached out to my congressperson? There are very few people from MN in the last years timelines and the processing times between biometrics and IL vary greatly. I just am worried at this point since they had my file and cleared background now for 5 months.

That was a typo: it was supposed to read I'm surprised you haven't reached out to your congress man/woman by now ...

Reading what I wrote in context and considering the sentence directly before it should have revealed the omission in my post I believe - why indeed would I be surprised at you reaching out to your congress person for help when that is something I typically encourage when a case has been pending for a certain amount of time.

Hi everyone,
I'm a F1 student, I've selected for the DV2017.
I submitted the DS 260 in October. I was supposed to go for an AOS. But now I have to take a semester off from school to go back home and have a surgery. Can I transfer from AOS to CP? (My case number is current)
I have not sent my file yet to Chicago.

You might have left this a bit late, I think. KCC will need enough time to process your DS260 form and schedule you for an interview by Sept 30th if you opt to change to CP now. Interview notices for Sept interview (for DS260 forms that have been processed) will be going out anytime from now.