• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

I think this will go one of two ways: either the CO will make an issue of it, or the CO won't give a crap and it will be a non-issue.

Personally, I think you will have some explaining to do but that you should be fine. That you're not the primary applicant is a good thing.

The question in the ds260 is 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action'.

There are two potential problems here:
  • first, the type of crime. I have no idea how the consulate adjudicates this but if they see what you did as fraud, then that may be an issue (personally, I don't see fraud, I see naivety); and
  • second, not admitting this on the DS260 could be an issue. As far as they know, you're clean and free (having said that, the background checks may have thrown up the offense and your case will be flagged already). Then you present with an item on the police record check that shows an offense. You might want to ensure you can explain your reasoning as to why it wasn't included. The explanation you've given here (that you didn't think it would show up) won't cut it as the question on the DS260 is very clear in terms of 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted...' If you were neither arrested nor convicted, this could be the 'out' as, in that circumstance, you answered the question truthfully, regardless of what is said on the police check.

I think this will go one of two ways: either the CO will make an issue of it, or the CO won't give a crap and it will be a non-issue.

Personally, I think you will have some explaining to do but that you should be fine. That you're not the primary applicant is a good thing.

The question in the ds260 is 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action'.

There are two potential problems here:
  • first, the type of crime. I have no idea how the consulate adjudicates this but if they see what you did as fraud, then that may be an issue (personally, I don't see fraud, I see naivety); and
  • second, not admitting this on the DS260 could be an issue. As far as they know, you're clean and free (having said that, the background checks may have thrown up the offense and your case will be flagged already). Then you present with an item on the police record check that shows an offense. You might want to ensure you can explain your reasoning as to why it wasn't included. The explanation you've given here (that you didn't think it would show up) won't cut it as the question on the DS260 is very clear in terms of 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted...' If you were neither arrested nor convicted, this could be the 'out' as, in that circumstance, you answered the question truthfully, regardless of what is said on the police check.
Thanks. I have re checked was not formally arrested or convicted (since the charge was dismissed without recording a conviction or further penalty). Even though the event shows on my full disclosure check.

Hopefully we will be okay!

Thanks. I have re checked was not formally arrested or convicted (since the charge was dismissed without recording a conviction or further penalty). Even though the event shows on my full disclosure check.

Hopefully we will be okay!

Is it drug related? If so could be a problem.

Well, the time has already come and I'll be flying off to the U.S. on Wednesday! Not an activation trip, I'll be doing probably a month of travel around the country before settling.

Today, as I was saying goodbye to some longtime friends, what I'm doing really sunk in and this was the first time I've felt profoundly sad/anxious about leaving Australia. However, I believe so strongly that this is 100% the best thing for me to do with my life that I have never even once had a flicker of a doubt about this go through my mind. Life is meant for living and I'm very excited about the journey that lies ahead!

I'll be sure to report back with how things go! :)

Well, the time has already come and I'll be flying off to the U.S. on Wednesday! Not an activation trip, I'll be doing probably a month of travel around the country before settling.

Today, as I was saying goodbye to some longtime friends, what I'm doing really sunk in and this was the first time I've felt profoundly sad/anxious about leaving Australia. However, I believe so strongly that this is 100% the best thing for me to do with my life that I have never even once had a flicker of a doubt about this go through my mind. Life is meant for living and I'm very excited about the journey that lies ahead!

Good Luck to you in your new life in the US :)

Wishing you all the best violetion with the move and your travelling :) Looking forward to hearing some updates of how you are going!

We are on the count down to our interview in Sydney....14 days until we fly down and 15 until the interview eek!!

Hey all so I just wanted to report in, I had my interview yesterday at the Sydney Consulate and I am all approved and have 5 months to plan everything out. I've been trying not to think about it too much until I knew one way or another what was happening. But now that it's all confirmed it's very exciting!

--

Anyway my appointment was for 10:45am, I got there about ten minutes early and proceeded straight up the level ten to security where they scanned all my belongings, had me walk through a detecter and took all my belongings from me aside from wallet, paperwork and some tissues. I then moved on the where they checked all my paperwork out and gave it back to me in a folder. From there I was asked to take a seat which was only for a minute before security showed me to the elevator to head up to the consulate.

Once upstairs you go through another security post where they have a quick look at my paperwork and opened the security door for me to go through, once inside I collected a ticked and sat down again. I was only up there maybe another minute or two before my number was called, at this window the woman checked through all my paperwork again making sure everything was there and correct with no issues. I was then asked to place my fingers on the scanner so they could take my fingerprints. Once all that was done I was told to proceed to the cashier and pay the visa fee and then return to her when I was done. After that process I was asked to take a seat until my number was called again, at this point I had to wait a bit longer but it wasn't anymore than 10 minutes.

When I was called up for my interview I was asked to raise my right hand and declare that all the information provided was correct to my knowledge and hand my fingerprints scanned again. After that I was only really asked one question. He first pointed out that it was my first time entering to lottery and congratulations on winning, to which I said I've been meaning to enter for years but always forgot or missed the deadline. He then asked where in the US I was going to live and I told him New York but I've never living anywhere cold before so we'll see how that goes. From there he said all my paperwork was in order, that I was approved and when I would need to be in the US by and that was it.

The whole thing was very quick but then there really weren't very many people there when I was there, only three or four other people for visas. Sorry if I missed anything I was in a bit of a daze after I heard the words 'approved' that I wouldn't be surprised if I have forgotten something.

Also I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here, all the help and support I've received from this forum has really helped the whole process.

Hey all so I just wanted to report in, I had my interview yesterday at the Sydney Consulate and I am all approved and have 5 months to plan everything out. I've been trying not to think about it too much until I knew one way or another what was happening. But now that it's all confirmed it's very exciting!

--

Anyway my appointment was for 10:45am, I got there about ten minutes early and proceeded straight up the level ten to security where they scanned all my belongings, had me walk through a detecter and took all my belongings from me aside from wallet, paperwork and some tissues. I then moved on the where they checked all my paperwork out and gave it back to me in a folder. From there I was asked to take a seat which was only for a minute before security showed me to the elevator to head up to the consulate.

Once upstairs you go through another security post where they have a quick look at my paperwork and opened the security door for me to go through, once inside I collected a ticked and sat down again. I was only up there maybe another minute or two before my number was called, at this window the woman checked through all my paperwork again making sure everything was there and correct with no issues. I was then asked to place my fingers on the scanner so they could take my fingerprints. Once all that was done I was told to proceed to the cashier and pay the visa fee and then return to her when I was done. After that process I was asked to take a seat until my number was called again, at this point I had to wait a bit longer but it wasn't anymore than 10 minutes.

When I was called up for my interview I was asked to raise my right hand and declare that all the information provided was correct to my knowledge and hand my fingerprints scanned again. After that I was only really asked one question. He first pointed out that it was my first time entering to lottery and congratulations on winning, to which I said I've been meaning to enter for years but always forgot or missed the deadline. He then asked where in the US I was going to live and I told him New York but I've never living anywhere cold before so we'll see how that goes. From there he said all my paperwork was in order, that I was approved and when I would need to be in the US by and that was it.

The whole thing was very quick but then there really weren't very many people there when I was there, only three or four other people for visas. Sorry if I missed anything I was in a bit of a daze after I heard the words 'approved' that I wouldn't be surprised if I have forgotten something.

Also I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here, all the help and support I've received from this forum has really helped the whole process.

Congratulations Teyliana :)

--

Congratulations :)

We have received our 2NL email from noreply@state.gov, directing us to the entrant status check site which has our interview time. Does a second email come from the Sydney office and / or do I have to reply to confirm we will be attending the interview?

You should start doing your prep (getting paperwork together, scheduling the medical etc). Sydney will email you around 3 weeks before the interview asking for confirmation that you intend to attend.

Hey all. I just got my notification for an interview appointment at the Auckland consulate in April! Even after filing my DS 260 very late. Anyway, now when I get back to NZ (I'm overseas til mid March) I'll need to quickly compile my medical check, vaccinations and maybe records of income/ability to support self and anything else I've forgotten but can find on this forum, and there's no way I could have got even this far without this forum so thanks for all the support and great information.

Yay! Just arrived at our hotel after activating our GCs at Honolulu airport. All went very smoothly; the security guy saw our yellow envelops and took us to the front of the line.

Now to enjoy a few days in the sun before we head back to Aus to plan our permanent move!

Thanks for all the brilliant help and advice from everyone on this forum! You made it all so easy.

Ben