• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

So when booking your flights, is it just an simple as booking a one way online? Or do we have to go to a travel agent and get something in particular done to the booking. I've just heard one way to the US is hard to book, but I'm trying to book my flight now and it seems as simple as any other flight.

Yes it is just that simple....

You can book one way with no issues.

For our trip, when we got to the airport, the Qantas check in staff asked us about our visa status. We produced our green cards and they entered that into their system.

Weird though was that they forget to enter the GC number for one of my sons. When we boarded, he wasn't allowed to board until they verified his GC number. So when they scan your boarding pass, it's not just an 'inventory' check, it's to ensure that everyone's information has been entered appropriately and vetted.

You can book one way with no issues.

For our trip, when we got to the airport, the Qantas check in staff asked us about our visa status. We produced our green cards and they entered that into their system.

Weird though was that they forget to enter the GC number for one of my sons. When we boarded, he wasn't allowed to board until they verified his GC number. So when they scan your boarding pass, it's not just an 'inventory' check, it's to ensure that everyone's information has been entered appropriately and vetted.

Okay thatt's great :) Thank you so much. This is quite exciting. 2 months till I leave now :)

Hey OC 2016,
Congrats to everyone who has their Visas already, and thanks for all the support, especially EmilyW And Britsimon, both of whom answered a question I had earlier.

I submitted my DS-260 late (just over a month ago), partly because I'd had my passport stolen and was waiting on a new one, until EmilyW advised me to just go ahead and submit, then update my info later.

Now I'm wondering, should I even bother to re-open my form and update the passport info now (which may lead to further delays?), or just bring the supporting documents (new passport and copy of old one) to the interview when/if that is scheduled?

My second (less burning) question concerns the police check. I declared a minor crime in my DS-260, and though I have no criminal record due to getting diversion, I was eventually able to access my arrest record under the Privacy Act. EmilyW, you suggested that I may want to send further documentation along to the KCC (Kentucky Consular Centre) when I got it so they know what to look for when doing my background check. I think I'll do that now, but I'm wondering if that's even necessary when the confirmation email says: 'You do not need to submit any documentation to the Kentucky Consular Center. The KCC will review your application and will notify you if any of the information you have provided is insufficient or incomplete.'

Either way, I'll have any and all conceivable documents to back up my application when/if my interview is scheduled. I was just wondering if it's worth re-opening my form to update that passport info or better to just clear it up at the interview?

Thanks
You might want to get a letter or some kind of official documentation that confirms you can't access your arrest record.

Also, as a suggestion, when you submit your DS260, also write the KCC an email informing them of the arrest and include that official documentation. That way, when they do the background checks, they know exactly what they are looking for.

Hey OC 2016,
Congrats to everyone who has their Visas already, and thanks for all the support, especially EmilyW And Britsimon, both of whom answered a question I had earlier.

I submitted my DS-260 late (just over a month ago), partly because I'd had my passport stolen and was waiting on a new one, until EmilyW advised me to just go ahead and submit, then update my info later.

Now I'm wondering, should I even bother to re-open my form and update the passport info now (which may lead to further delays?), or just bring the supporting documents (new passport and copy of old one) to the interview when/if that is scheduled?

My second (less burning) question concerns the police check. I declared a minor crime in my DS-260, and though I have no criminal record due to getting diversion, I was eventually able to access my arrest record under the Privacy Act. EmilyW, you suggested that I may want to send further documentation along to the KCC (Kentucky Consular Centre) when I got it so they know what to look for when doing my background check. I think I'll do that now, but I'm wondering if that's even necessary when the confirmation email says: 'You do not need to submit any documentation to the Kentucky Consular Center. The KCC will review your application and will notify you if any of the information you have provided is insufficient or incomplete.'

Either way, I'll have any and all conceivable documents to back up my application when/if my interview is scheduled. I was just wondering if it's worth re-opening my form to update that passport info or better to just clear it up at the interview?

Thanks

No need to re-open your form. You might even find you are being scheduled for April interviews. As for the documents - nothing goes to KCC - you present all at the embassy.

Very excited to be current! Just waiting for 2NL now! Does anyone have a recommendation for an international tax accountant? Especially if we are planning to keep our home rented over here. I hear there are capital gains implications in the USA if we sell our Aus home once we move there...

Just wondering, when you guys moved to the US, did you take your mobile phones and just change it over to a new network, or did you just get new ones?

It needs to be completely unlocked / unattached to a provider, not just out of contract. I brought my Samsung over but had purchased a pre-paid sim before I got here.

AT&T have pretty good pre-paid / bring your own device plans, albeit you will need your SSN before you can get one.

AT&T have pretty good pre-paid / bring your own device plans, albeit you will need your SSN before you can get one.

Don't need an SSN for the AT&T GoPhone prepaid plans because it doesn't require a credit check. I bought mine already so it's ready when I arrive next week! :eek:

AT&T definitely have the best plans, boy it was a headache navigating American phone plans...

Thank you everyone! My phones unlocked and doesn't have a specific provider attached (I brought mine from the Apple store to make sure it was unlocked for the potential move) but now it's happening, so I thought I'd check. Thank you. I was looking at T-Mobile and AT&T but wasn't sure what to get. I might go look at AT&T since everyone seems to think they're great.

Thank you everyone! My phones unlocked and doesn't have a specific provider attached (I brought mine from the Apple store to make sure it was unlocked for the potential move) but now it's happening, so I thought I'd check. Thank you. I was looking at T-Mobile and AT&T but wasn't sure what to get. I might go look at AT&T since everyone seems to think they're great.

I highly recommend T Mobile. Network is great, plans are good but most important (for world travellers) the roaming charges are low/free. T mobile include data and texts when you take your USA based phone it lots of countries. With data for free - you can get by and come home to no extra charges on your bill. AT&T don't do that. Worth its weight in gold.

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

OH and they just allowed streaming of videos and music while in the USA to NOT count toward your data plan.

I highly recommend T Mobile. Network is great, plans are good but most important (for world travellers) the roaming charges are low/free. T mobile include data and texts when you take your USA based phone it lots of countries. With data for free - you can get by and come home to no extra charges on your bill. AT&T don't do that. Worth its weight in gold.

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

OH and they just allowed streaming of videos and music while in the USA to NOT count toward your data plan.

That sounds really good. Thank you. I was on their site for hours last night trying to figure things out. They do look like they would be a great choice.

Hi guys,

Would I be in troubles if I do the following:

1) Travel to the US to activate visa and leave after a few days.
2) Travel to the US before the 12-month period expires (period you get to move to the US) and leave after 3 weeks. Returning to the US after 10 months to live permanently.

I understand you have 1 year to move to the US after you activate your visa, I'm wondering if you can buy some extra time..... because I'm planning to be outside the US only 10 months after I's supposed to move for good I would no need a re-entry permit, correct?

The whole purpose is to extend my period in Australia because of work

Really appreciate your thoughts

Cheers

Hi guys,

2) Travel to the US before the 12-month period expires (period you get to move to the US) and leave after 3 weeks. Returning to the US after 10 months to live permanently.

I understand you have 1 year to move to the US after you activate your visa, I'm wondering if you can buy some extra time..... because I'm planning to be outside the US only 10 months after I's supposed to move for good I would no need a re-entry permit, correct?

Cheers

You will face questioning, but I doubt they would try to revoke your GC... just my opinion - others might see it differently.

Hi guys,

Cheers

You technically wouldn't need a re-entry permit, however do expect questioning on both return visits - obviously on your first return (i.e. 2nd entry) you'll be on yet another return ticket out of the US and they will know that, and so they may be quite strict on questioning you. You may want to also have a plan B in mind in case you get some kind of warning on this entry - if you do an Internet search you'll see people sometimes get things like "advised residency requirements" written in your passport. Staying out another almost year after that will almost certainly be frowned on. From what I understand they won't revoke your card/refuse you entry at the border, but if you are referred to an immigration judge to argue the case to keep your green card that will mean big stress and probably $$$ on a lawyer.

You need to remember that the guiding rule is not "12 months or less" but that you can show intent to live in the US. In the absence of a property or rental agreement etc, a re-entry permit is one way to show that. Obviously you will remember to file tax returns with the IRS all along as well. But when you say the reason to extend your stay in Australia is because of work - well, staying extended periods of time outside the US to work elsewhere is one of the factors they consider as leading to abandonment of green card. So you would also need to be very careful how you answer any questions ....bearing in mind that you should always be truthful to an immigration officer.

Honestly, unless it's an impossibly lucrative position with share options etc that can set you up for a few years at least in the US, I think your best course of action would be to start looking for work in the US, rather than trying to juggle immigrant requirements to stay working in Australia... particularly given the length of time you're looking to do this.

Help please! My husband and I got our police checks back. His is fine and he is the primary applicant. Mine has come back with an offence that I had to go to court for in 1998. I have not disclosed anything on my DS260 as I thought that a conviction was NOT recorded. Anyway, the court result on the check is stated as "proved" with no further penalty imposed (no fine, good behaviour bond, etc) and the actual offence was for signing a form for a fake ID when I was young and silly!

What do I need to do next? Do I need to try and get the court record to take with me to the interview? We are current and are expecting our interview date in the next couple of weeks, do I unlock the DS260 or just explain during our interview that I did not think a conviction was recorded and would show up on my police check. And am of course being honest to talk them through the situation.

Thanks!

Help please! My husband and I got our police checks back. His is fine and he is the primary applicant. Mine has come back with an offence that I had to go to court for in 1998. I have not disclosed anything on my DS260 as I thought that a conviction was NOT recorded. Anyway, the court result on the check is stated as "proved" with no further penalty imposed (no fine, good behaviour bond, etc) and the actual offence was for signing a form for a fake ID when I was young and silly!

What do I need to do next? Do I need to try and get the court record to take with me to the interview? We are current and are expecting our interview date in the next couple of weeks, do I unlock the DS260 or just explain during our interview that I did not think a conviction was recorded and would show up on my police check. And am of course being honest to talk them through the situation.

Thanks!

Yes, you need the court records for that.