• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

But not the government... So it won't affect SSN card issuance... and not schools. My understanding of the word "holiday" is one that everyone takes ;) It does get confusing when there are some that schools are closed on but most companies not, etc - that happens with some of them. And like you said ...half the companies in your database - certainly not something that can be taken for granted then!

I spent my first year being taken unawares by the strange US holidays and missing long weekend bookings because of not realizing when they were in time!!!

Some government departments do close for part of Easter.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...lowik-good-friday-st-0325-20160324-story.html

It's all part of the mess of American "freedom of confusion". Federal holidays, State holidays, company holidays, floating holidays, and so on. Coupled with the fact that a "holiday"
in the UK "holidays" were the days you planned (called "vacation" or "PTO") here. It's not surprising that people get confused. :)

Please tell me chocolate for Easter is still a thing in the US!

About a week for the SSN then. I'd heard stories about them not showing up at all, so it's a relief anyway :)

Chocolate is totally a thing! Although I didn't find the chocolate selection as expansive as it is in Oz and I couldn't find any of these in the shops. Which made me a little sad.

cadburyeggs_465x288-200209.jpg

Chocolate is totally a thing! Although I didn't find the chocolate selection as expansive as it is in Oz and I couldn't find any of these in the shops. Which made me a little sad.

cadburyeggs_465x288-200209.jpg
That is indeed sad. Hershey's is no substitute! I won't hold out hopes for Red Tulip bunnies...

Oh and I miss Kipling's French Fancies, which is more of an English thing, but I get them in Australia.

649157-french-fancies.jpeg

I couldn't move for Cadburys creme eggs here, in more flavors than I ever saw before.
I've always way preferred Lindt bunnies to anything Cadburys, and no shortage of those here!
But boy.... All those Peeps everywhere....

Just about any holiday is BIG here. You get special candy for everything (not just candy, babybel even had special Halloween cheeses :D ). Then everything is 30-50% off the day after the holiday !!!!!

There are also South African shops online which overlap a lot with the British foodstuffs. And if you have a World Market near you (.I think they're online even if you don't) lots there too from various countries including British stuff.

Hi guys,

A bit of a funny question. Please let me know if I should post this elsewhere (but I have searched all the threads and haven't found the answer yet). I've just realised that the address I provided at POE for my green card had the wrong postcode attached to it. I called USCIS, who updated the address on their end and provided me with a IOE receipt number, but told me I would need to update it myself online as well.

I went to update the address online and it asked if the change of address was for an application or petition currently in progress. I assume the answer to this question is 'yes' and that the processing of the green card is the pending application. I tried entering the IOE receipt number but it wouldn't accept it, so I called USCIS back and was advised it can take 30-40 days for it to show up and that I would need to make an in person appointment to see if there is another way to change my address.

I went back in and selected 'no' for having a pending application and was able to update my address this way. However, the website says if you have any pending or recently approved applications that you must change your address online through form AR-11 (done) and also change your address on any pending or recently approved applications (not done I don't think, as receipt number isn't showing on the change of address page).

I'm a little confused about the process. My question is, have I done the right thing and should I wait the 30 days for the IOE receipt number to register and update my address again or should I make an appointment in person to ensure the green card gets mailed to the right address with the correct postcode?

Sorry for all the info, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S I also created a myUSCIS account and put in the IOE receipt number but no information is showing there.

hi guys

quick couple of questions:

1) When shall I expect the email from the embassy if I already got my 2NL (appointment is on the 10th May)? Shall I contact the embassy if I don't get any emails from them.

2) What happens is there is a shortage of a specific vaccine? my GP has told me there is a shortage for 1 required vaccine in Sydney..... I have tried several pharmacies and nothing so far.

Many thanks

hi guys

quick couple of questions:

1) When shall I expect the email from the embassy if I already got my 2NL (appointment is on the 10th May)? Shall I contact the embassy if I don't get any emails from them.

2) What happens is there is a shortage of a specific vaccine? my GP has told me there is a shortage for 1 required vaccine in Sydney..... I have tried several pharmacies and nothing so far.

Many thanks

On 2) you actually don't know what your personal required vaccines are. Not everyone is required to take all the vaccines on the list (a lot of them are waived after a certain age, for example). Anyway, if there is a general shortage and a vaccine that the panel doctor determines you need is unavailable the panel doctor will note that with a waiver. Depending what it is you may be required to get it after you enter the US.

thanks for the feedback SusieQQQ...

I just booked my medical appointment and the earliest they had was on the 24 April which will give the doctor a 2-week window to send the report to the embassy (my embassy appointment is on the 10 May). Would that be enough time?

Many thanks

Braved the DMV today to do my written test for the drivers license. Now I have to work up the confidence to finally do some practice and drive on the other side of the road for the driving test. :eek: Don't think it'll be very long before I'll go crazy not having a car here!

But for now, my next goal is to find some Vegemite...

Braved the DMV today to do my written test for the drivers license. Now I have to work up the confidence to finally do some practice and drive on the other side of the road for the driving test. :eek: Don't think it'll be very long before I'll go crazy not having a car here!

But for now, my next goal is to find some Vegemite...
Good luck! I actually did a bit of driving in Hawaii on the activation trip last week. It's not as scary as you might think. I was, however, in Hawaii – LA might be a bit more daunting. But I'm sure you'll do great!