• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hola again muchachos. So, I have read @Britsimon 's superb guide to the DS260, and I'm pretty sure I've got the whole thing figured out, but one thing's bugging me and I know if I submit it without checking I'll get it wrong. I'm fine with the US address for the GC to be sent to, but I don't have an intended residential address as yet because... well, I never thought I'd win the dang thing. So. I just wrote 'As yet unknown' in the street address, and put the neighbourhood and zip code in NYC that we intend to move to. Then the GC mailing address (which is in California, not NY). Is this OK? Also, if that's a dumb or frequently asked question, sorry for being a dingbat!

Hola again muchachos. So, I have read @Britsimon 's superb guide to the DS260, and I'm pretty sure I've got the whole thing figured out, but one thing's bugging me and I know if I submit it without checking I'll get it wrong. I'm fine with the US address for the GC to be sent to, but I don't have an intended residential address as yet because... well, I never thought I'd win the dang thing. So. I just wrote 'As yet unknown' in the street address, and put the neighbourhood and zip code in NYC that we intend to move to. Then the GC mailing address (which is in California, not NY). Is this OK? Also, if that's a dumb or frequently asked question, sorry for being a dingbat!

You can put the same address on both, you will have the opportunity changing the address at the time of your interview and at the POE. It is better than putting "as yet unknown" for the intended street address.

Hi Simon, just curious to know whether you think there will be another small draw.

When we thought there was "only" 84k winners, I thought that would not be enough to fill the global quota, and was thinking they would need a second draw of 5 to 10k, which is roughly what previous second draws have been.

However, then they released the actual selectees at 91.5k, which is 7.5k more than the 84k I.e. Exactly in my range of 5 to 10k more needed. So, now I think they won't need a second draw.

Hi Guys,

I have another question...

My question is regarding Police Certificates and when they are required. I have lived in Queensland and Victoria for several years after turning 16, so I will need to provide a police certificate. However, I was wondering if I could get a national police check or would I need an individual one from each state? Also, must I get a police check including a fingerprint check? Or is a name check sufficient?

Finally, I went back and lived in England for about nine months when I finished year 12, would I need a police check from there too? I have British citizenship through birth and went back to join the British Army if that makes a difference. I found information saying that you only needed police certificates from overseas countries if you were there for more than 12 months, however, I wasn't sure if that was correct...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

@MelbourneBen, you just need a Federal Police check through the AFP website, selectiing Option 33 (which is a full disclosure check) for the Australian one. No need to get one from each state as the Federal check covers all Australian jurisictions.

You also need one for England. Your citizenship is irrelevant for this. The guidelines are clear that, if you lived in a country for more than six months, you have to get a police check.

http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

The English one is done through ACRO. It takes around 4-6 weeks to get one done from Australia (including postage time).

https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

Hi I had a question about the interview process.

I am living and working in Hong Kong at the moment, will they conduct the interview here or will I need to travel to Sydney?

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum it is so reassuring to have someone to ask questions of I really appreciate it.

Thank you.

@MelbourneBen, you just need a Federal Police check through the AFP website, selectiing Option 33 (which is a full disclosure check) for the Australian one. No need to get one from each state as the Federal check covers all Australian jurisictions.

You also need one for England. Your citizenship is irrelevant for this. The guidelines are clear that, if you lived in a country for more than six months, you have to get a police check.

http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

The English one is done through ACRO. It takes around 4-6 weeks to get one done from Australia (including postage time).

Thanks for your advice!

Hi I had a question about the interview process.

I am living and working in Hong Kong at the moment, will they conduct the interview here or will I need to travel to Sydney?

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum it is so reassuring to have someone to ask questions of I really appreciate it.

Thank you.

You can attend the interview in Hong Kong. Just make sure that, on your DS260 form, you nominate Hong Kong as the consulate.

Hi I may be wrong but I had a slightly different interpretation for the requirement to get a police cert when having lived overseas from country of birth.

It states that you need a police cert if you live in a different country of your birth for more than 12 months not 6 months.

The six months is for your current address in country of birth issued from that locality (i.e. State in the case of Australia) or have lived in another locality from current residence in the country of birth for more than six months. In the case of Australia the police check covers the whole country negating the need for a different certificate from each state.

Happy to be proven wrong that is just my read.

ad

You can attend the interview in Hong Kong. Just make sure that, on your DS260 form, you nominate Hong Kong as the consulate.

Thanks. This may sound silly but I don't exactly know where I will be working after September I have several options and probably won't know for sure until after I submit the DS260.

Do you think I would be possible to change the nominated consulate?

Hi I may be wrong but I had a slightly different interpretation for the requirement to get a police cert when having lived overseas from country of birth.

It states that you need a police cert if you live in a different country of your birth for more than 12 months not 6 months.

The six months is for your current address in country of birth issued from that locality (i.e. State in the case of Australia) or have lived in another locality from current residence in the country of birth for more than six months. In the case of Australia the police check covers the whole country negating the need for a different certificate from each state.

Happy to be proven wrong that is just my read.

ad

Yes, you're right.

BUT, @MelbourneBen being a UK citizen might have him fall under the definition of 'lived in a different part of their country of nationality for more than 6 months'. I haven't come across that one before.

If it were me, I'd get it, just to have bases covered.

Yes, you're right.

BUT, @MelbourneBen being a UK citizen might have him fall under the definition of 'lived in a different part of their country of nationality for more than 6 months'. I haven't come across that one before.

Sure. Thanks Emily.

Hi Guys,

I have another question...

My question is regarding Police Certificates and when they are required. I have lived in Queensland and Victoria for several years after turning 16, so I will need to provide a police certificate. However, I was wondering if I could get a national police check or would I need an individual one from each state? Also, must I get a police check including a fingerprint check? Or is a name check sufficient?

Finally, I went back and lived in England for about nine months when I finished year 12, would I need a police check from there too? I have British citizenship through birth and went back to join the British Army if that makes a difference. I found information saying that you only needed police certificates from overseas countries if you were there for more than 12 months, however, I wasn't sure if that was correct...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

If you did join the army don't forget you'll need your military record as well for the interview.

v
Yes, you're right.

I think I would agree with you. I'd rather have it with me and not need it than not have it and need it.

That was me all over for this process. My supporting documentation folder was larger than the basics, but I felt better having it with me, knowing that I could cover all bases.

I'm trying to get a rough idea (for planning purposes) when my visa interview might occur and had a question about confirmation numbers / appointment dates.

For example, this year 2015OCXXXXXX650 went 'current' in December; does that mean the absolute highest number getting an interview in December would be 650? Or is that just a rough estimate?

The reason I ask is that I'm literally one or two numbers above 650 and want to know if I would have been scheduled in Dec this year, or would have needed to wait until Jan? I've heard people talking about the 'holes' theory but wasn't sure exactly how that applied...

I'm trying to get a rough idea (for planning purposes) when my visa interview might occur and had a question about confirmation numbers / appointment dates.

For example, this year 2015OCXXXXXX650 went 'current' in December; does that mean the absolute highest number getting an interview in December would be 650? Or is that just a rough estimate?

The reason I ask is that I'm literally one or two numbers above 650 and want to know if I would have been scheduled in Dec this year, or would have needed to wait until Jan? I've heard people talking about the 'holes' theory but wasn't sure exactly how that applied...

Actually, the highest number interviewed would have been 649 - if you read the visa bulletin, it says cases below those numbers are current for interview in a particular month.
The holes theory does not affect the case numbers used by KCC (who know exactly what the holes are, of course).