• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 KENYAN SELECTEES FORUM

Still...if I was him, I would plea my case with KCC, explaining that he misunderstood the rules. Slim chance to succeed, very slim chance I imagine indeed.

I don't see how one could justify misunderstanding the rules with misrepresenting the required information about self.

AFAIK, the only way he would have been able to submit the eDV registration form was claim he was single and has no kids. Once you indicate married or you have kids, you can't submit the form without putting in their information. So what he did is willful misrepresentation, I don't see any CO buying the excuse of misunderstanding the rules or instructions in this case.

Sorry I didn't make it clear....they are partners...not married but live together.

Thanks for the clarification. So he was correct in not listing the partner. However, he has kids and he did not list those kids on his eDV form or did he list them?

Hi..
my bro was selected for Dv-2016.whats the next step? Does he need to complete ds-260 immediately? His case no is 79** is that too far away for interview? Also, he did not include his partner and kids on initial application stage..will that be a problem? Sorry for asking so many questions .

Happy girl

Sorry to say but not including his kids (and partner too if they are married but not including the kids is enough) is a huge problem. He will be disqualified. No room for leeway and no point in him doing anything further.

Number looks very good (79**). But having left out his spouse and kids in the initial entry may just play against him. Let the experts give a more detailed answer but that part may just knock him out.

There is no "may". The rules are very clear that you must list all unmarried children under 21, and the selectees website is equally clear that if you haven't you will be disqualified and should not proceed.

Sorry I didn't make it clear....they are partners...not married but live together.
And I did not read your post properly. But it doesn't change anything...it is about not having added his children
I don't see how one could justify misunderstanding the rules with misrepresenting the required information about self.

AFAIK, the only way he would have been able to submit the eDV registration form was claim he was single and has no kids. Once you indicate married or you have kids, you can't submit the form without putting in their information. So what he did is willful misrepresentation, I don't see any CO buying the excuse of misunderstanding the rules or instructions in this case.

I just had another look at the original entry form, and I agree...it is clear that he was putting the wrong info there (Children: 0) despite the warning.

Thanks for response..
I thought so as well, however his partner is not willing to travel and that's why he did not add her at initial stage.
Would he be disqualified if he doesn't mention he has kids on DS- 260 form?

As mom has said, leaving his kids off is fraudulent.
If they find out he will be denied and possibly banned from entry or any visa to the U.S. They do background checks on all applicants and it is quite possible they find out about his children before the interview even if he doesn't list them.
If they don't find out at interview and goes to the U.S. - he can never sponsor his kids for any kind of visa and if found out later is at risk of having his green card revoked. This basically means he might never see his children again except on visits home. Is a green card really worth that?

how will they know it is fraudent yet they are not gods? What if the couple answers all question right even if they are fraudent?

They don't have to be gods to be able to tell a fraudulent/fake marriage from a genuine one. It's called being able to separate the wheat from the chaff. It's part of what the background check does. Even casual observation while waiting to be interviewed at the embassy reveals a lot. What most people don't realize is that they're actually being observed when they think they're simply waiting to be called to make their payment, submit their documents or to meet the CO for the actual interview.

They don't have to be gods to be able to tell a fraudulent/fake marriage from a genuine one. It's called being able to separate the wheat from the chaff. It's part of what the background check does. Even casual observation while waiting to be interviewed at the embassy reveals a lot. What most people don't realize is that they're actually being observed when they think they're simply waiting to be called to make their payment, submit their documents or to meet the CO for the actual interview.

Indeed. In fact anyone who has watched "Border Security" will see a similar sort of observation in process - there are a number of "tells" that may raise alarm bells.

I have also heard of cases where they put the suspicious couple on AP and send a local employee around to the listed address to ask neighbors etc about the supposed marriage. Of course many are found out at interview and denied immediately.

I have also heard of cases where they put the suspicious couple on AP and send a local employee around to the listed address to ask neighbors etc about the supposed marriage. Of course many are found out at interview and denied immediately.

We actually have a documented case of a DV 2015 couple in this forum that was put on AP for a suspicious marriage. A young couple, still in college who weren't living together. The CO visited both their homes where they lived with their parents, fortunately for this couple, it was a genuine marriage and they got approved at the end of the process.

We actually have a documented case of a DV 2015 couple in this forum that was put on AP for a suspicious marriage. A young couple, still in college who weren't living together. The CO visited both their homes where they lived with their parents, fortunately for this couple, it was a genuine marriage and they got approved at the end of the process.

Yes, they actually talk about this in a DoS report from a few years ago about combatting fraud in the DV process, so I knew the reports were credible :)
And while we don't get people here directly reporting being denied for fake marriages, it does get mentioned a number of times by people who have observed this happening when they are at the embassy for their own interviews.
Sadly I also read of one case where what seems like a genuine marriage was denied, because the couple didn't think to take proof with them...

Indeed. In fact anyone who has watched "Border Security" will see a similar sort of observation in process - there are a number of "tells" that may raise alarm bells.

I love 'border security' show. The analogy fits here well.

Now, I have a query myself. I included my daughter in my initial entry buy I don't have any proof of parentage. My baby moms and I split up and we ain't in talking terms. She is already in the US and refused to consent to change in particulars in the birth certificate. I don't know what to do. Is there a legal way of adding my name onto the birth certificate and including her into my passport?
Secondly my case no is 32xxx. When is my interview most likely to be?and should I have to have the interview at home.

The guys saying what mom was/is, the cat is staring out of the bag!!
I could bet my DV fee that I was being observed keenly as we awaited our interview. I noticed it when a person in one of the counters and I somehow found ourselves keeping looking at each other, I waiting for further directions and the Person trying to learn about us as a family.

How could mom know that-hmmm. Which embassies mom?

Last edited:
The guys saying what mom was/is, the cat is staring out of the bag!!
I could bet my DV fee that I was being observed keenly as we awaited our interview I noticed it when a person in one of the counters and somehow found ourselves looking at each other's I waiting for further directions and the Person trying to learn about us vast a family.
How could mom know that-hmmm. Which embassies mom?

It's not a secret. All of them. These guys do all the visa interviews, not just DV remember. They are all trained to look for anything suspicious.

Now, I have a query myself. I included my daughter in my initial entry buy I don't have any proof of parentage. My baby moms and I split up and we ain't in talking terms. She is already in the US and refused to consent to change in particulars in the birth certificate. I don't know what to do. Is there a legal way of adding my name onto the birth certificate and including her into my passport?
Secondly my case no is 32xxx. When is my interview most likely to be?and should I have to have the interview at home.

Including your daughter was the right thing to do.
Your inquiry about changing her name implies that you do not appear anywhere in her birth certificate. You ought to maintain the name in the birth certificate as you entered it when you applied. you were not legally married so no divorce paper needed?

Expect that you will be required to prove biological relationship through a DNA test and if you are not the biological father, adoption papers- go to the DV 2016 rules and re- read them carefully, this is important. Also email the embassy about your daughter and see what they have to say

A rough guess is that you will not interview earlier than April next year- just a rough guess but do not bank on it, wisest thing to do is to follow DV 2015 threads very well especially on how to read the visa bulletin. Also be sure to frequent Britsimon's blog.

All the best

Last edited:
Including your daughter was the right thing to do.
Your inquiry about changing her name implies that you do not appear anywhere in her birth certificate. You ought to maintain the name in the birth certificate as you entered it when you applied. you were not legally married so no divorce paper needed?

Expect that you will be required to prove biological relationship through a DNA test and if you are not the biological father, adoption papers- go to the DV 2016 rules and re- read them carefully, this is important. Also email the embassy about your daughter and see what they have to say

A rough guess is that you will not interview earlier than April next year- just a rough guess but do not bank on it, wisest thing to do is to follow DV 2015 threads very well especially on how to read the visa bulletin. Also be sure to frequent Britsimon's blog.

All the best
No we were not married or anything, just dating. That visa bulletin, how does one read it?finally, do you mean the dv-2015 threads? Thanks for the advice

On the part of the 'split' with the Mom to your daughter, were you initially married then divorced? If so did you enter your status as married or single? The entry instructions are clear that you have to state your spouse whether past or current. My advise is that you urgently and candidly seek assistance from people like @Britsimon, @Sm1smom etc before filling in DS260.