• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2016 has been finally fixed. [Screenshot]

I can't remember where the data are and am waiting for simon to be kind and remind me, but from what I can recall it was much higher than one might think - like 40% or so?
Thanx @SusieQQQ . you would think that the response rate would be like in 90% , by the way people make a big fuss of the lottery.40 %? that too low!

Thanx @SusieQQQ . you would think that the response rate would be like in 90% , by the way people make a big fuss of the lottery.40 %? that too low!

My take on this:
- some people forget to check (.yes really.
- some realise, either before or after sending in DS forms, that while entering is free, the visa process can be quite pricey, especially for those in emerging markets, and don't send in forms or attend their interviews
- some realise, either before or after sending in DS forms, that they don't actually qualify
And then of course you have those that go to interview but get denied to throw some more visas back in the pool.

My take on this:
- some realise, either before or after sending in DS forms, that while entering is free, the visa process can be quite pricey, especially for those in emerging markets, and don't send in forms or attend their interviews
- some realise, either before or after sending in DS forms, that they don't actually qualify
And then of course you have those that go to interview but get denied to throw some more visas back in the pool.
wow.I get you now. when do they usually do re-draws when they do them? thanx.Last question @SusieQQQ for now. Thanx alot.I appreciate it.

My take on this:
I agree with this. A lot of people don't think about what it takes to come to the US. Entering the lottery is free, qualifying for a visa is expensive.

It's not as expensive as other visas, but it adds up. I calculated that the process has cost us just under $6000AUD for a family of four.

Compared to other visas, it's reasonable, but it's still a cost people need to consider when applying. The costs are inelastic (medicals at the panel doctors, visa fee, USCIS fee, police checks).

It's not as expensive as other visas, but it adds up. I calculated that the process has cost us just under $6000AUD for a family of four.

Compared to other visas, it's reasonable, but it's still a cost people need to consider when applying. The costs are inelastic (medicals at the panel doctors, visa fee, USCIS fee, police checks).

Those costs vary from country to country maybe. What other visas are more expensive than US visa?

You're Australian... For people in some countries that is more than average annual income...

DV-2013 did not have a re-draw, it had an additional draw. It was quite special because it followed DV-2012 where 20K people who were first informed as winners lost that privilege once the flaw in the selection process was discovered, and a re-draw took place. The 20K-ers tried to bring a lawsuit against DoS, which the court later decided as having no merit. But since the DoS was facing the uncertainty of a lawsuit, it is my theory, not necessarily a fact, that they set aside 20K slots in DV-2013 to cover the 20K-ers in case the court would rule in their favor, then they released those 20K slots to the DV-2013 applicants. DV-2013 ESC page had a message telling people to check back on a certain date as more selections could take place.

Susie, please explain more.how many had they selected in 2013 to go a re-draw? how many have they been selecting over the years?

2013 was 105k with a second draw of around 5k. I appreciate the interest - but it is too early to define the exact criteria that would cause a second draw - we are guessing based on the number of 84 to be less than the 140 and 125 in 2014/2015 and less even than the "normal" "100k ". If it happens it happens - it would be small.

DV-2013 did not have a re-draw, it had an additional draw. It was quite special because it followed DV-2012 where 20K people who were first informed as winners lost that privilege once the flaw in the selection process was discovered, and a re-draw took place. The 20K-ers tried to bring a lawsuit against DoS, which the court later decided as having no merit. But since the DoS was facing the uncertainty of a lawsuit, it is my theory, not necessarily a fact, that they set aside 20K slots in DV-2013 to cover the 20K-ers in case the court would rule in their favor, then they released those 20K slots to the DV-2013 applicants. DV-2013 ESC page had a message telling people to check back on a certain date as more selections could take place.
I understand people who won were disappointed , but to sue against DoS for a GC lottery? We should be thankful they haven't shut down the program yet.

The premise of the lawsuit was something like the "...you have been randomly selected for further processing..." (aka Happy Page) is a representation by the government and should be binding.
As far as shutting down the lottery; there have been numerous attempts to pass a bill to do exactly that. Some of them were just about the DV program, and some as a part of a larger bill. The closest one was the Comprehensive Immigration Reform of the past congress which had a section on shutting down the program.

The premise of the lawsuit was something like the "...you have been randomly selected for further processing..." (aka Happy Page) is a representation by the government and should be binding.
As far as shutting down the lottery; there have been numerous attempts to pass a bill to do exactly that. Some of them were just about the DV program, and some as a part of a larger bill. The closest one was the Comprehensive Immigration Reform of the past congress which had a section on shutting down the program.
Binding? Yeah I don't think that reasoning would fly. I am sure the DoS had terms listed before the application page.

2013 was 105k with a second draw of around 5k. I appreciate the interest - but it is too early to define the exact criteria that would cause a second draw - we are guessing based on the number of 84 to be less than the 140 and 125 in 2014/2015 and less even than the "normal" "100k ". If it happens it happens - it would be small.
Thank you Simon!

Anyone with "Non Selected" status..........now being "Selected" or its the "Session Out" guys only being selected.....