• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Thank you all again. I have your same feelings. Right now I'm very busy for working and studying at the same time, that's why my hope was to have no needs to worry. Either way now I think I will schedule an INFOPASS, as you guys suggested.
Do you have any link where I can find a guideline on what documents prepare and which questions I should ask at the INFOPASS?

Thank you all again. I have your same feelings. Right now I'm very busy for working and studying at the same time, that's why my hope was to have no needs to worry. Either way now I think I will schedule an INFOPASS, as you guys suggested.
Do you have any link where I can find a guideline on what documents prepare and which questions I should ask at the INFOPASS?

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2016-aos-only.326148/page-101#post-2427020

You can also read about my SF infopass appointment to see why we encourage you to prepare...

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2014-aos-only-new-thread.10/page-54#post-2351593

Great information, thank you. I just scheduled an INFOPASS for the first available date, that is the morning of April 12. Just a question, right now I have the receipt of the $330 fee for the DV, but I don't have any scanned copy of the check for the Adjustment of Status. I think my lawyer has it. In the other side, it's obvious that I paid because the status of my case is "Fingerprint fee was accepted". So do I still need to bring a scanned copy of that check?

Great information, thank you. I just scheduled an INFOPASS for the first available date, that is the morning of April 12. Just a question, right now I have the receipt of the $330 fee for the DV, but I don't have any scanned copy of the check for the Adjustment of Status. I think my lawyer has it. In the other side, it's obvious that I paid because the status of my case is "Fingerprint fee was accepted". So do I still need to bring a scanned copy of that check?

If you hadn't paid the fee the case would not be at the FO - so no - I don't think you need to show that.

He said that is more than 20 years that is doing AoS (obviously most of these cases are not DV based) .

And that is precisely the problem, he doesn't understand DV processing. Please don't feel you need to listen to him just because you paid him upfront. Cut your losses - better than losing your green card for taking his bad advice,.

Hello guys

I want to share our interview (which was today) with you.

Our appointment was at 10:30 and we arrived 1 hour before that but going through security check and fining the office at the highest level of a skyscraper took about 20 min or so. So please try to arrive early so you have time to kill and you won't be stressed out.

When we entered the office it was so crowded. We handed our interview letters to a lady at the window of a bootا (me and my husband) She asked if we were there with an attorney and we said no. Then she said take a seat and we will call you when it's your time. We sat down for more than 1 hour and we didn't call our name until 11:20! Around 1 hour late1 than our appointment time. The a lady came and called my name (my husband is the principal applicant but my name is easier of course) I was surprised because she had a bodyguard or something like than and I didn't know it! The guy was there with us the whole time during the interview but he didn't say a word.

The lady was super nice (thank goodness!) she was all smiley and very respectful. She asked for our original birth certificates, the translations of them, passports and my husband's I-94 and marriage license. She checked all we gave her with the one she already had in our submitted documents and then she asked questions from both of us such as what's you wife/husband's full name? Whats her/his parents name? what is his/her date of birth? When did you move together? How is your house? an apartment or a house? How did you guys met? (she asked it from my husband and he answered but I really wanted to add more on his response but I already promised him to don't be chatty and talkative!!) She asked me what is your husband's job and what's the company's name? She asked me and my husband do you talk to each others parents? She also asked me about my husband's siblings and if I met them before and I answered. She also asked if it's our first marriage and if we had kids or not?

Then she asked for my husband's tax return, his income papers, our proof of address and his university diploma (his last degree certificate) She also asked what I was doing and I said I'm a student and I will be graduated on this May (she said congrats and smiled again!) She asked If I'm living on campus because my university is around 1 hour and a half away from where we live and I said no because I commute. I don't remember any other personal question.

Then she asked yes/no questions about all the criminal stuff and I don't remember any of them but I know all our answers were no. After that she said she needed to make copy of some of the documents and left the room (the guy was still there!) she came back in 5 minutes and handed back all the documents and said she were gonna review our background and if there is nothing wrong with that she would approve us and would file everything today! She didn't ask to see our pictures album and I was very surprised! We spend so much money for printing and album and of course a lot of time for adding notes beside the pictures but she didn't see them! She was very easy-going and nice and she would be satisfied with short answers. The whole interview took less than 20 minutes and I really didn't feel any pressure after the first 2 minutes. It was so smooth and friendly ( I can say even better than the first time that I was getting student visa) She said we would recieve the green cards in about 2 weeks to 1 month.

Tips:

DOUBLE CHECK everything at least 2-3 times the days before your interview! Never hurts to bring more stuff. She didn't see a lot of the documents we brought but at least we were confident to have them with us.
Leave the house early! It's one of the most important days of your life! You don't want to be late and you don't want to be all stressed when you are on your way in the traffic! 10 minutes after we left home I noticed I forgot my ring! My husband got mad at me and I said we don't need that but we had time to get back home and we did it! Some officer may pay attention to these small and funny things so don't risk. We are newly married and I thought there might be so much focus on these kind of things.
Don't be chatty! Answer clear and enough! Not let and not more! If they asked you for details then explain but if they get satisfied by short answers don't make it complicated.

Sorry for the longest post ever but I hope it helps you. Hope everyone a smooth and friendly interview.

Oh okay! It's just because you listed it in the point 4 of the first link you provided, so I was trying to figure it out :)

Yeah - that checklist is "designed" to create an opportunity to make the point that there is nothing left to hold up the case (or finding out something is awaited). It is all about leading up to the final question - "OK, so what are we waiting for to schedule the interview?". Most humans are comfortable putting you off when there is some "mysterious" process that you are "obviously" unaware of because they are the expert. So - when you systematically check off the items one by one, I believe it is harder for them to then say there is some reason for the delay.

Hello guys

Our appointment was at 10:30 and we arrived 1 hour before that but going through security check and fining the office at the highest level of a skyscraper took about 20 min or so. So please try to arrive early so you have time to kill and you won't be stressed out.

When we entered the office it was so crowded. We handed our interview letters to a lady at the window of a bootا (me and my husband) She asked if we were there with an attorney and we said no. Then she said take a seat and we will call you when it's your time. We sat down for more than 1 hour and we didn't call our name until 11:20! Around 1 hour late1 than our appointment time. The a lady came and called my name (my husband is the principal applicant but my name is easier of course) I was surprised because she had a bodyguard or something like than and I didn't know it! The guy was there with us the whole time during the interview but he didn't say a word.

The lady was super nice (thank goodness!) she was all smiley and very respectful. She asked for our original birth certificates, the translations of them, passports and my husband's I-94 and marriage license. She checked all we gave her with the one she already had in our submitted documents and then she asked questions from both of us such as what's you wife/husband's full name? Whats her/his parents name? what is his/her date of birth? When did you move together? How is your house? an apartment or a house? How did you guys met? (she asked it from my husband and he answered but I really wanted to add more on his response but I already promised him to don't be chatty and talkative!!) She asked me what is your husband's job and what's the company's name? She asked me and my husband do you talk to each others parents? She also asked me about my husband's siblings and if I met them before and I answered. She also asked if it's our first marriage and if we had kids or not?

Then she asked for my husband's tax return, his income papers, our proof of address and his university diploma (his last degree certificate) She also asked what I was doing and I said I'm a student and I will be graduated on this May (she said congrats and smiled again!) She asked If I'm living on campus because my university is around 1 hour and a half away from where we live and I said no because I commute. I don't remember any other personal question.

Then she asked yes/no questions about all the criminal stuff and I don't remember any of them but I know all our answers were no. After that she said she needed to make copy of some of the documents and left the room (the guy was still there!) she came back in 5 minutes and handed back all the documents and said she were gonna review our background and if there is nothing wrong with that she would approve us and would file everything today! She didn't ask to see our pictures album and I was very surprised! We spend so much money for printing and album and of course a lot of time for adding notes beside the pictures but she didn't see them! She was very easy-going and nice and she would be satisfied with short answers. The whole interview took less than 20 minutes and I really didn't feel any pressure after the first 2 minutes. It was so smooth and friendly ( I can say even better than the first time that I was getting student visa) She said we would recieve the green cards in about 2 weeks to 1 month.

Tips:

DOUBLE CHECK everything at least 2-3 times the days before your interview! Never hurts to bring more stuff. She didn't see a lot of the documents we brought but at least we were confident to have them with us.
Leave the house early! It's one of the most important days of your life! You don't want to be late and you don't want to be all stressed when you are on your way in the traffic! 10 minutes after we left home I noticed I forgot my ring! My husband got mad at me and I said we don't need that but we had time to get back home and we did it! Some officer may pay attention to these small and funny things so don't risk. We are newly married and I thought there might be so much focus on these kind of things.
Don't be chatty! Answer clear and enough! Not let and not more! If they asked you for details then explain but if they get satisfied by short answers don't make it complicated.

Sorry for the longest post ever but I hope it helps you. Hope everyone a smooth and friendly interview.

Congratulations on coming this far and thanks for detailing your interview experience.

You said you thought they were going to focus on the fact that you guys are newly married but they didn't, maybe because the didn't request to see your album and the attached notes :rolleyes:?

Well, they actually did. All those questions outside of the yes/no questions were intended to determine the genuineness of your marriage. Those are not typical questions they ask a couple that's been married for long before the DV selection. They didn't request to see the album, probably because they were satisfied with your answers.

Hello guys

Tips:

Thank you, this was very helpful. I filled out all our paperwork (mine and my husband's) so he's going to have to do some study!

Hello everyone!
I am L1B, was current in March, applied to the AOS DV and did the Biometric appointment already 2 weeks ago.
I saw in the timeline file a column named Acceptance Bio Received. Does it mean that I should expect to receive an acceptance letter after the Bio?
The online status hasn't changed for a while and is Fingerprint fees accepted... What are the different statuses to expect?

Thanks for your insights! :)
Jerome

Hello everyone!
I am L1B, was current in March, applied to the AOS DV and did the Biometric appointment already 2 weeks ago.
I saw in the timeline file a column named Acceptance Bio Received. Does it mean that I should expect to receive an acceptance letter after the Bio?
The online status hasn't changed for a while and is Fingerprint fees accepted... What are the different statuses to expect?

Thanks for your insights! :)
Jerome

Hi Jerome-

The "Acceptance - Bio Received" column in the spreadsheet is just to calculate the days between the day you received your acceptance NOAs and your biometrics appointment letter. You do not have to change type anything into that box as it calculates automatically once you put both dates in appropriate boxes. So, no, you will not receive an acceptance letter after the bio.

Assuming that you have submitted all of the required documents with your AOS package, the only letter you should be expecting is your interview letter, which may take a while. In vast majority of DV based AOS cases, your online status for I-485 will not go beyond "Fingerprint fee was accepted" until after your interview.

Congratulations on coming this far and thanks for detailing your interview experience.

You said you thought they were going to focus on the fact that you guys are newly married but they didn't, maybe because the didn't request to see your album and the attached notes :rolleyes:?

Well, they actually did. All those questions outside of the yes/no questions were intended to determine the genuineness of your marriage. Those are not typical questions they ask a couple that's been married for long before the DV selection. They didn't request to see the album, probably because they were satisfied with your answers.
Yes you are right. She were satisfied with the answers. We also had some mistakes answering them because of being a little bit nervous but as I mentioned there was not that much of pressure as she was not a picky person.

By the way, our status had changed to "approved" I hope everyone in this forum to see this word as their status soon.

Thanks for all the helps mom. We would have not done this process without your help.

Hello everyone,
We finally got our IL! after 3 mo after bio. we are so excited! And believe it or not,but our interview will be on my birthday! What a coincidence))

Hi Everybody! Let me share my update:
Background: Chicago on Dec 31, Biometrics on Jan 29. Currently waiting for the IL.
I will go to my first Infopass next monday (April 4th). I prepared all my documents to take with me as if i was going to the interview itself (as Mom suggested in an earlier post).
Before the infopass, i just called KCC and asked if my file is sent to the Houston FO. She told me it was sent just recently; on Mar 28th!
I will still go to my infopass though - i had booked it 2 weeks ago.
Cheers youall :)

Hi Jerome-

The "Acceptance - Bio Received" column in the spreadsheet is just to calculate the days between the day you received your acceptance NOAs and your biometrics appointment letter. You do not have to change type anything into that box as it calculates automatically once you put both dates in appropriate boxes. So, no, you will not receive an acceptance letter after the bio.

Assuming that you have submitted all of the required documents with your AOS package, the only letter you should be expecting is your interview letter, which may take a while. In vast majority of DV based AOS cases, your online status for I-485 will not go beyond "Fingerprint fee was accepted" until after your interview.

Merci Beau!
have a nice week end.

Hello everyone,
We finally got our IL! after 3 mo after bio. we are so excited! And believe it or not,but our interview will be on my birthday! What a coincidence))

Looks like a fantastic birthday present is on its way to you ;)

I'm so sorry for asking mayge a dumb question but is the phone number of the KCC 606-526-7500? Is there a long wait at the phone before having the chance to get someone talking? Is it enough to have my case number to ask if USCIS got the documents from them? Thanks in advance for the precious help, as always!!

Hi Mom,

My interview is in the beginning of May and after reading the thread, I would really want to make sure that my KKC file was sent to USCIS. Should I call them and ask them to do so (if they haven't already? How long prior to the interview would be appropriate to do that? Also, is there a way to find out whether my background check has been completed prior to the interview?

Thank you for your enormous help, and my sincere apologies if you have already answered those questions earlier in the thread!