• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Thanks Mom! 2 subquestions... (and for reference, my spouse is with me in the US on a student visa - we're both travelling back home for two weeks for the wedding)
1. If I wait until March to submit DS-260 do you think I still have a chance of being interviewed before Oceania's quota is filled?
2. Can I submit DS-260 in Sept and get AP for the wedding and do the interview upon return. Then if/when I eventually get the GC, can I then petition to add my husband at a later date? Or is that just too complicated?!

It makes almost no sense to get your GC alone and then petition for your husband rather than both get them at a DV interview.

Thanks Mom! 2 subquestions... (and for reference, my spouse is with me in the US on a student visa - we're both travelling back home for two weeks for the wedding)
1. If I wait until March to submit DS-260 do you think I still have a chance of being interviewed before Oceania's quota is filled?
2. Can I submit DS-260 in Sept and get AP for the wedding and do the interview upon return. Then if/when I eventually get the GC, can I then petition to add my husband at a later date? Or is that just too complicated?!

1. Yes, you should still have enough time to complete the process if you were to start in March. However, the 30-60-90 days rule technically speaking may not apply to you since you're not entering the U.S. for the first time on your visa or applying and entering with a new visa. If at all you still want to be cautious, you should be fine submitting your DS-260 and I-485 package a month after your last arrival.

2. You can't apply for an AP card on the basis of having submitted your DS-260 form. Submitting the DS-260 form is one thing, completely different from actually applying for AOS, which is the 2nd stage/step of the process. Yes you can proceed and complete the process alone, after which you can sponsor your spouse. However, it doesn't make sense to me that you will entertain the thought of processing alone and sponsoring your spouse at a later date, you're probably not aware of the associated cost and stress of sponsoring someone who could have easily benefitted and processed at the same time as yourself.

I think you need to read the first post on page one of this Thread and follow the link to the AOS spreadsheet to get a better understanding of the AOS process and the steps involved in it.

1. Yes, you should still have enough time to complete the process if you were to start in March. However, the 30-60-90 days rule technically speaking may not apply to you since you're not entering the U.S. for the first time on your visa or applying and entering with a new visa. If at all you still want to be cautious, you should be fine submitting your DS-260 and I-485 package a month after your last arrival.

2. You can't apply for an AP card on the basis of having submitted your DS-260 form. Submitting the DS-260 form is one thing, completely different from actually applying for AOS, which is the 2nd stage/step of the process. Yes you can proceed and complete the process alone, after which you can sponsor your spouse. However, it doesn't make sense to me that you will entertain the thought of processing alone and sponsoring your spouse at a later date, you're probably not aware of the associated cost and stress of sponsoring someone who could have easily benefitted and processed at the same time as yourself.

I think you need to read the first post on page one of this Thread and follow the link to the AOS spreadsheet to get a better understanding of the AOS process and the steps involved in it.

Great - thanks!!

Mom,

Who is applicable to fill I-797? In USCIS website, it says that "Form I-797 is NOT a form you can fill out", so who should fill that?

Mom,

Who is applicable to fill I-797? In USCIS website, it says that "Form I-797 is NOT a form you can fill out", so who should fill that?

I-797 is not a form you fill out like you rightly found out. It's some sort of receipt or NOA you would have had if you've ever contacted USCIS before for some sort of immigration benefit.

Just started filling out my I-485 form - in the first section where it asks for "Current USCIS Status" does that mean the current visa I am currently on? Would I just write "E3"?

And then the next section:

I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:

a. An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.)

Is that the right one to select as a DV Lottery winner?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Just started filling out my I-485 form - in the first section where it asks for "Current USCIS Status" does that mean the current visa I am currently on? Would I just write "E3"?

And then the next section:

I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:

a. An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.)

Is that the right one to select as a DV Lottery winner?

Thank you!

- Yes

- Select 'H' and write 'DV Lottery Winner. Selectee Letter Attached'

Regarding the tax returns, please follow the guidance provided on the spreadsheet. You will obviously be providing work information on some of the forms you'll be sending along with your AOS package, so even if you decide to not unlock the DS-260 form, the omission shouldn't be an issue.

And no, you do not have to wait for the 2NL before doing anything else regarding the AOS petition

I really appreciate it mom, I decided not to unlock my DS 260 from, just waiting their response. But actually I submitted almost a month ago but haven't gotten anything yet. Is it normal?
How long does it usually take? And you said I don't have to wait 2NL you mean we can submit AOS package as soon as it gets ready? And when I called them and ask when to pay DV fee, I remember they said "Wait for our email". Do I have to wait or it's better just pay it first?

Mom,

I just realized that my initial selectee notification letter had the wrong address on it, same street but the wrong house number, i think it was auto fill-in, somehow.

I have already submitted by DS-260, and it had the correct address on it. Will that play any role down the process? The 2nd NL is an email, right?

Thank you!

Hi there,
a question about the G-325 form. I have been moving a lot this past years for internships and have more than 5 address in the last 5 years. As there is just 5 spots in the G-325 address part, should I append an extra page to the end of the form and continue there? Is is like the I-485 section where we had to follow a specific rules for extra pages or I can simply add the addresses in a new sheet?

One more question, I just noticed in my 260, I have missed one of my previous employers and was thinking to send ask KCC to unlock the form for me. How long it takes for them to do it for me? Is email enough or I should also call them?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi there,
a question about the G-325 form. I have been moving a lot this past years for internships and have more than 5 address in the last 5 years. As there is just 5 spots in the G-325 address part, should I append an extra page to the end of the form and continue there? Is is like the I-485 section where we had to follow a specific rules for extra pages or I can simply add the addresses in a new sheet?

One more question, I just noticed in my 260, I have missed one of my previous employers and was thinking to send ask KCC to unlock the form for me. How long it takes for them to do it for me? Is email enough or I should also call them?

Thanks.

- List the rest of the address in an extra sheet of paper.

- Really no need to unlock the DS-260 form.

Mom,

I just realized that my initial selectee notification letter had the wrong address on it, same street but the wrong house number, i think it was auto fill-in, somehow.

I have already submitted by DS-260, and it had the correct address on it. Will that play any role down the process? The 2nd NL is an email, right?

Thank you!

Don't stress over the incorrect address, it will not impact the rest of the process. And yes, 2NL is an email.

I really appreciate it mom, I decided not to unlock my DS 260 from, just waiting their response. But actually I submitted almost a month ago but haven't gotten anything yet. Is it normal?
How long does it usually take? And you said I don't have to wait 2NL you mean we can submit AOS package as soon as it gets ready? And when I called them and ask when to pay DV fee, I remember they said "Wait for our email". Do I have to wait or it's better just pay it first?

- Yes it's normal

- Anywhere between 2 to 8 weeks, possibly longer in some cases

- It's better to include the 2NL with the AOS package, however extenuating circumstances may sometimes make it necessary to submit the AOS package without the 2NL. And in your case, when I stated you could get started without waiting for the 2NL, I didn't mean go ahead and submit your package without it. I meant begin the other steps that needs to be completed prior to sending in your package.

- You can either go ahead and make the payment or wait for the email first. Your call.

Last edited:
- List the rest of the address in an extra sheet of paper.

- Really no need to unlock the DS-260 form.

Thanks mom. I know it was something discussed by asgcdgod as well but just out of curiosity, wouldn't they compare that with the information I am sending with my AOS package and see some more information is added to the file? Any bad impact? In case we request for an unlock, how long it would actually take for KCC to do it for us? My apologies for being so picky but this damn process has made everyone kind of stressed!

Thanks.

Thanks mom. I know it was something discussed by asgcdgod as well but just out of curiosity, wouldn't they compare that with the information I am sending with my AOS package and see some more information is added to the file? Any bad impact? In case we request for an unlock, how long it would actually take for KCC to do it for us? My apologies for being so picky but this damn process has made everyone kind of stressed!

Thanks.

Do you really think if they're going to be nitpicking on something like or that they will be looking for any and every minute reason to disqualify or deny people, I will keep on telling those processing AOS in particular not to stress the things I'm saying don't stress over?

I know you've apologized in advance and admitted to being stressed over the process (which I really don't think should be the case considering how we've tried to streamline the process, provided information, are still providing ongoing support, and the fact that the FY hasn't even taken off), do you equally realize how stressful it also gets to keep answering the same question over and over and over and over again?

At the end of the day, I do realize I have no personal stake in the outcome of the cases I'm trying to assist with, which is why I tell people to use their judgment and make the best call anyways when doubtful of what I suggest. So if you think not updating your DS-260 form with the missing work information will or could possibly impact your case, by all means contact KCC and request for them to unlock the form.

Do you really think if they're going to be nitpicking on something like or that they will be looking for any and every minute reason to disqualify or deny people, I will keep on telling those processing AOS in particular not to stress the things I'm saying don't stress over?

I know you've apologized in advance and admitted to being stressed over the process (which I really don't think should be the case considering how we've tried to streamline the process, provided information, are still providing ongoing support, and the fact that the FY hasn't even taken off), do you equally realize how stressful it also gets to keep answering the same question over and over and over and over again?

At the end of the day, I do realize I have no personal stake in the outcome of the cases I'm trying to assist with, which is why I tell people to use their judgment and make the best call anyways when doubtful of what I suggest. So if you think not updating your DS-260 form with the missing work information will or could possibly impact your case, by all means contact KCC and request for them to unlock the form.
Thanks mom. I understand what you are talking about. I am quite sure if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be that patient. :)

Hi Sm1smom,

Thank you so much for the help you provide here for everyone. I am a dvlottery 2016 winner. My case number is 2016AS21xx and I guess that it is a low number. I graduated with a PhD degree this month and I applied for OPT in early June and my application is still pending. I am currently in the US and I am aiming for AOS.

I did not know that I need to do the DS-260 until I visited your website a few days ago. The USCIS website does not say anything about it under the AOS case. I called KCC and they confirmed the information in your website. Thank you so much for saving me :)

I have not submitted my DS-260 yet,
1- am I too late and if so how can this affect my chances of obtaining the gc through dvlottery?
2-What is the processing time for DS-260 for AOS applicants?
3- Do you suggest that I do it ASAP or do I need to wait until I get my OPT approved?
What I am worried about is that I need to stay in status until my interview date and if my OPT gets denied for some reason (and I doubt this will happen) , I cannot do the AOS. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Hi Sm1smom,

Thank you so much for the help you provide here for everyone. I am a dvlottery 2016 winner. My case number is 2016AS21xx and I guess that it is a low number. I graduated with a PhD degree this month and I applied for OPT in early June and my application is still pending. I am currently in the US and I am aiming for AOS.

I did not know that I need to do the DS-260 until I visited your website a few days ago. The USCIS website does not say anything about it under the AOS case. I called KCC and they confirmed the information in your website. Thank you so much for saving me :)

I have not submitted my DS-260 yet,
1- am I too late and if so how can this affect my chances of obtaining the gc through dvlottery?
2-What is the processing time for DS-260 for AOS applicants?
3- Do you suggest that I do it ASAP or do I need to wait until I get my OPT approved?
What I am worried about is that I need to stay in status until my interview date and if my OPT gets denied for some reason (and I doubt this will happen) , I cannot do the AOS. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hey, first congratulations for being selected in the lottery and that too with a fairly low number.
You can still submit DS 260. Also, once you submit you can always request kcc to unclock your ds260 if you want to make changes.
sharing my experience here, i submitted my ds 260 after i had applied for my opt (april 2014). I got my opt end of june and the 2 nd letter( intention of doing aos) on july.

Last edited: