• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi everyone, first this thread is so helpful. thank you so much mom and all of you.
I have some questions below.

My husband ( we married after my husband got selected ) got selected and we both submitted DS-260 already. We chose AOS since we both in the states now with F1 visa.
Our case number is AS 12xx.we thought this number is safe enough to take interview here, so we decided to do AOS. Our I-20 expires next year.
But we had plan to visit our home country in end of October 30-November 05. And that tickets are non refundable. We thought it's ok to just cancel it because GC is more important, but after I researched a lot I found out we might be able to change our interview date. If so, do you think we can take it that time? We expect our number will be current in October, so if we can change it I would love to change AOS to CP. But do you think it's hard to change AOS to CP after I submit DS-260?

And I have more questions... Sorry. If I take interview in our country and what if we will be denied? If we will, We can't re-enter US with F1 visa? Our F1 visa will expire 2017. But if I take interview, my F1 visa will be cancelled?

I'm F1 visa student, but I was working with OPT visa for a couple of month. I just realized I didn't mention it on DS-260. Is it big deal? If it is, I will ask them to unlock it. Or it's not big deal since short time and I'm spouse?

Last question. We can't have separate family name in our country. Even though my passport is my old name when I renew it ( when is 10 year from now ) my last name will change. So do I should've put my new last name on DS-260? I was thinking since we can have separate last name in here, I was going to keep use my old last name here. But is it not good since husband and wife should be same last name in our country?

Sorry for long message. Thank you so much in advance!

- To change from AOS to CP or vice versa, you'll need to email KCC and request for them to change your interview location. However, bear in mind it's possible they may not be done processing your DS forms in time for them to schedule you for an October interview. You also need to be aware of the fact that if you could actually be scheduled for an interview earlier in October than when you planned on being at home, since you have a none refundable ticket and planned on being at home between Oct 30 and Nov 5, what do you intend to do if you're scheduled for early October or late Nov? Plus do you honestly think you will have enough time to do your medical exam, complete the interview and get back your passports in less than one week?

- Readmission back into the U.S. following a failed IV interview is at the discretion of the CBP agent, just like with every other visa holder.

- It's not necessarily a big deal, however it helps to always provide as much information on immigration forms as possible.

- It's your call whatever last name you want to go by. If you want to go by your husband's last name, them you need to use that on your DS form, if you want to keep using your own last name, then that's what you put down on your forms. Whatever last name you use on those forms is the last name your GC gets issued with. However, bear in mind the possibility of running into trouble with the airlines if the name on your GC doesn't match what's on your passport. If you opt to go by your husband's last name, the you will need to get a new passport in that name also.

- To change from AOS to CP or vice versa, you'll need to email KCC and request for them to change your interview location. However, bear in mind it's possible they may not be done processing your DS forms in time for them to schedule you for an October interview. You also need to be aware of the fact that if you could actually be scheduled for an interview earlier in October than when you planned on being at home, since you have a none refundable ticket and planned on being at home between Oct 30 and Nov 5, what do you intend to do if you're scheduled for early October or late Nov? Plus do you honestly think you will have enough time to do your medical exam, complete the interview and get back your passports in less than one week?

- Readmission back into the U.S. following a failed IV interview is at the discretion of the CBP agent, just like with every other visa holder.

- It's not necessarily a big deal, however it helps to always provide as much information on immigration forms as possible.

- It's your call whatever last name you want to go by. If you want to go by your husband's last name, them you need to use that on your DS form, if you want to keep using your own last name, then that's what you put down on your forms. Whatever last name you use on those forms is the last name your GC gets issued with. However, bear in mind the possibility of running into trouble with the airlines if the name on your GC doesn't match what's on your passport. If you opt to go by your husband's last name, the you will need to get a new passport in that name also.

Thank you so much mom. That's right... less than a week is not enough time. So do you think we should just forget about this trip and go ahead to take interview here as AOS? If we go with AOS, when do you expect our CN will be current? AS 12xx. I know AOS is bit later than CP.
And plus... If we do CP, do we have to take medical exam in our country? We can't take here and go back?

Sorry I'm asking you many questions. So you said job things are not that big deal, is it even I did tax return? If they check my SSN won't they figure out that I was working? I'm afraid cause I'm F1 status so they might think I was working illegally. There was no place that I could put "OPT" there... If we could go to interview I can explain them but if they just deny before we go to interview...
That's why if it's not big deal, I rather leave it. So don't they check my SSN?

Thank you so much mom.

Thank you so much mom. That's right... less than a week is not enough time. So do you think we should just forget about this trip and go ahead to take interview here as AOS? If we go with AOS, when do you expect our CN will be current? AS 12xx. I know AOS is bit later than CP.
And plus... If we do CP, do we have to take medical exam in our country? We can't take here and go back?

Sorry I'm asking you many questions. So you said job things are not that big deal, is it even I did tax return? If they check my SSN won't they figure out that I was working? I'm afraid cause I'm F1 status so they might think I was working illegally. There was no place that I could put "OPT" there... If we could go to interview I can explain them but if they just deny before we go to interview...
That's why if it's not big deal, I rather leave it. So don't they check my SSN?

Thank you so much mom.

CN could become current Oct - Nov, you'll find out in the next couple of weeks. The decision as to process AOS or CP is yours alone to make, based on the scenario earlier on painted, I mostly wouldn't be entertaining the thought of trying to process CP within a week if I was in your shoes. CP medical exams must be performed at the applicable foreign country, medical exams from the U.S. are not acceptable for CP interviews.

Regarding your none OPT work disclosure, I think it's important for you to read my FULL response again, I said "it's not necessarily a big deal, however it helps to always provide as much information on immigration forms as possible". You've only latched on to the first part of that response, not sure you took note of the second part. So you can make the call whether to unlock the form or not. Anyway, you'll still have the opportunity of providing work history/information when you send in your I-485 package.

It seems you're not aware you will be submitting some other set of forms directly to USCIS to process AOS. If that's the case, I suggest you go over the first post on page one of this Thread and follow the AOS spreadsheet link contained therein for further guidance.

CN could become current Oct - Nov, you'll find out in the next couple of weeks. The decision as to process AOS or CP is yours alone to make, based on the scenario earlier on painted, I mostly wouldn't be entertaining the thought of trying to process CP within a week if I was in your shoes. CP medical exams must be performed at the applicable foreign country, medical exams from the U.S. are not acceptable for CP interviews.

Regarding your none OPT work disclosure, I think it's important for you to read my FULL response again, I said "it's not necessarily a big deal, however it helps to always provide as much information on immigration forms as possible". You've only latched on to the first part of that response, not sure you took note of the second part. So you can make the call whether to unlock the form or not. Anyway, you'll still have the opportunity of providing work history/information when you send in your I-485 package.

It seems you're not aware you will be submitting some other set of forms directly to USCIS to process AOS. If that's the case, I suggest you go over the first post on page one of this Thread and follow the AOS spreadsheet link contained therein for further guidance.

Thank you mom, looks like AOS is actually good for our situation.

So I have to bring my tax return document for interview right? So maybe it's better that I ask them to unlock, right? I actually read your whole response though I'm not sure if I got it clear.
But anyway we didn't get any response from KCC after we submit DS-260. How long does it usually take? Well anyway we need unlock though...

Yes, I checked your spreadsheet, it was really helpful. But first I have to wait for KCC's email don't I? I'm starting to prepare the documents for AOS package.

Thank you mom, looks like AOS is actually good for our situation.

So I have to bring my tax return document for interview right? So maybe it's better that I ask them to unlock, right? I actually read your whole response though I'm not sure if I got it clear.
But anyway we didn't get any response from KCC after we submit DS-260. How long does it usually take? Well anyway we need unlock though...

Yes, I checked your spreadsheet, it was really helpful. But first I have to wait for KCC's email don't I? I'm starting to prepare the documents for AOS package.

Regarding the tax returns, please follow the guidance provided on the spreadsheet. You will obviously be providing work information on some of the forms you'll be sending along with your AOS package, so even if you decide to not unlock the DS-260 form, the omission shouldn't be an issue.

And no, you do not have to wait for the 2NL before doing anything else regarding the AOS petition

I will be doing AOS and only found out about my selection 2weeks ago after a dream that said I should check my number :). I submitted my DS260 on the 14th of July. I was wondering if anyone who submitted earlier would let me know when they here back from KCC, thats if you hear back at all. I did get the confirmation on screen that says submitted but didn't get it via email as some people suggest they have.

I will be doing AOS and only found out about my selection 2weeks ago after a dream that said I should check my number :). I submitted my DS260 on the 14th of July. I was wondering if anyone who submitted earlier would let me know when they here back from KCC, thats if you hear back at all. I did get the confirmation on screen that says submitted but didn't get it via email as some people suggest they have.

What's your CN?

Hi, I am one of the DV lottery winners 2016. I am currently in F1 visa in the USA. My case number is 2016AS00002XXX. Could you help me to figure out in which month my case number becomes current on VB? I already submitted the dv lottery fee and have already filed ds-260 form about 5 weeks ago from now.I have not received my dv receipt. Do you think it was too early for me to send the dv fee?

Hi, I am one of the DV lottery winners 2016. I am currently in F1 visa in the USA. My case number is 2016AS00002XXX. Could you help me to figure out in which month my case number becomes current on VB? I already submitted the dv lottery fee and have already filed ds-260 form about 5 weeks ago from now.I have not received my dv receipt. Do you think it was too early for me to send the dv fee?

You could possibly become current in Nov - Dec 2015, we will have a better idea when the first VB for DV2016 comes out in the next couple of weeks. Since your CN is low enough, sending in your DV fee as early as you did isn't a bad idea. The receipt will certainly show up as long as you included a SAE with your payment.

You could possibly become current in Nov - Dec 2015, we will have a better idea when the first VB for DV2016 comes out in the next couple of weeks. Since your CN is low enough, sending in your DV fee as early as you did isn't a bad idea. The receipt will certainly show up as long as you included a SAE with your payment.
Thank you so much!!

Hi mom

Looking for some advice on my case. My CN is OCxx56x. I'm currently on the E3 visa. I just got back from an overseas holiday and can't submit DS260 until Sept 20. I think my CN will become current in Nov, but I'm travelling back home in Dec to get married.

Should I start the process in Sept and get AP to travel back home? Or should I just wait until I get back and wait the 60 days to start the process in March? Just confused about how getting married after submitting DS260 would impact things - is it better to wait to include my husband? If I do that, will March will be too late for Oceania? Plus, if I miss out waiting for March I'm a bit concerned about whether I would be able to get another E3 when my current one expires in August 2016.

Thanks for your help!!

Hi mom

According to previous VB, my CN (AS 15XX) should be current in Oct. If so, when is the best time to do the medical exam. In the spreadsheet, it says that "medical exam will be valid for 6 month only". It means 6 month between the time that you do the exam to the time that you send your AOS package or interview data? Thanks.

Hi mom

According to previous VB, my CN (AS 15XX) should be current in Oct. If so, when is the best time to do the medical exam. In the spreadsheet, it says that "medical exam will be valid for 6 month only". It means 6 month between the time that you do the exam to the time that you send your AOS package or interview data? Thanks.
Amiru,

Based on the discussion I have seen either here or other forums, it should be valid through your interview date. I guess.

Hi mom

Looking for some advice on my case. My CN is OCxx56x. I'm currently on the E3 visa. I just got back from an overseas holiday and can't submit DS260 until Sept 20. I think my CN will become current in Nov, but I'm travelling back home in Dec to get married.

Should I start the process in Sept and get AP to travel back home? Or should I just wait until I get back and wait the 60 days to start the process in March? Just confused about how getting married after submitting DS260 would impact things - is it better to wait to include my husband? If I do that, will March will be too late for Oceania? Plus, if I miss out waiting for March I'm a bit concerned about whether I would be able to get another E3 when my current one expires in August 2016.

Thanks for your help!!

If you're traveling back home in December to get married and wish for your spouse to be processed as a derivative, you're better off waiting till after your marriage before submitting your DS-260 form. This enables you to add your spouse to your selection. And if your spouse is currently based back at home, you're better off going the CP route, you both get interviewed and approved together.

Hi mom

Ideally, the medical exam should still be valid as at the time of one's interview. So I would suggest scheduling the medical exam to as close as when you plan on submitting your I-485 package.

If you're traveling back home in December to get married and wish for your spouse to be processed as a derivative, you're better off waiting till after your marriage before submitting your DS-260 form. This enables you to add your spouse to your selection. And if your spouse is currently based back at home, you're better off going the CP route, you both get interviewed and approved together.

Thanks Mom! 2 subquestions... (and for reference, my spouse is with me in the US on a student visa - we're both travelling back home for two weeks for the wedding)
1. If I wait until March to submit DS-260 do you think I still have a chance of being interviewed before Oceania's quota is filled?
2. Can I submit DS-260 in Sept and get AP for the wedding and do the interview upon return. Then if/when I eventually get the GC, can I then petition to add my husband at a later date? Or is that just too complicated?!