• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

It seems like the department responsible for issuing the GC went by what you originally wrote on the I-485 which was already scanned prior to your interview. I'm guessing USCIS will not consider the error to be from them unfortunately, they have the scanned I-485 form with the wrong DOB listed regardless of the fact that the IO might have corrected the information in the system at the time of your interview, seems like that correction did not carry through.

Ok, Thanks for your reply Mom.
Does it means that my GC card will void since I apply for replacement?
Can I still use this card? for work and travel(not very far, just to Canada)
Can I apply for replacement online? and do i need to send them my original card?
sorry for asking you so much questions.
Do you think it worth to go to INFOPASS?

Last edited:
Mom when I called USCIS level 2 officer few weeks back she told me my file is in Missouri but when I called KCC they said my local office requested my KCC file. Its kind of contradicting. I thought only after local office has the file with them they request KCC file. In anycase I m going to have a infopass on May 9th and asked from them where my file is. I had an infopass earlier but didnt asked about the file I think its my bad.

Okay, I honestly don't get what your stress is about or what you find contradictory in the information you've been given to date.

You send your I-485 package to the Chicago Lockbox, the package gets forwarded to the National Benefits Center, Missouri; before it eventually makes its way to your FO. Your FO, upon receipt of the I-484 package contacts KCC to request your KCC file.

The process is well documented on the AOS spreadsheet and it sounds like that's exactly what has happened in your case based on your narration.

Okay, I honestly don't get what your stress is about or what you find contradictory in the information you've been given to date.

You send your I-485 package to the Chicago Lockbox, the package gets forwarded to the National Benefits Center, Missouri; before it eventually makes its way to your FO. Your FO, upon receipt of the I-484 package contacts KCC to request your KCC file.

The process is well documented on the AOS spreadsheet and it sounds like that's exactly what has happened in your case based on your narration.
Thats correct but USCIS level 2 officer told me this back in mid march where as FO requested the file back in end of Feb. Thats where it contradicts. Level 2 officer told me this in mid march as it was currently at Missouri but back in Feb my FO requested the KCC file.

Also I just found out my AP and EAD is approved even though I dont need them for the moment. Mom if its possible could you update the timeline spread sheet

Ok, Thanks for your reply Mom.
Does it means that my GC card will void since I apply for replacement?
Can I still use this card? for work and travel(not very far, just to Canada)
Can I apply for replacement online? and do i need to send them my original card?
sorry for asking you so much questions.
Do you think it worth to go to INFOPASS?

It technically becomes void upon the issuance of a replacement one. If the use of the card involves a situation where your information needs to be verified with USCIS, I wouldn't recommend your use of the card since you're already aware of the incorrect data it contains.

However, use your judgement call as to whether or not to use it for traveling. Although, if I was in your shoes and needed to travel while the replacement process is ongoing, I would go on an INFOPASS visit to get my passport stamped with an I-551 - a temporary GC stamp. You will need to present the NOA receipt received upon the submission of the replacement application form in order for them to issue the I-551.

Visit USCIS's website for more information regarding the GC replacement process:
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card

Thats correct but USCIS level 2 officer told me this back in mid march where as FO requested the file back in end of Feb. Thats where it contradicts. Level 2 officer told me this in mid march as it was currently at Missouri but back in Feb my FO requested the KCC file.

When did you submit your package? It's not possible for your FO to request your KCC file without receiving your I-485 package first.

It technically becomes void upon the issuance of a replacement one. If the use of the card involves a situation where your information needs to be verified with USCIS, I wouldn't recommend your use of the card since you're already aware of the incorrect data it contains.

However, use your judgement call as to whether or not to use it for traveling. Although, if I was in your shoes and needed to travel while the replacement process is ongoing, I would go on an INFOPASS visit to get my passport stamped with an I-551 - a temporary GC stamp. You will need to present the NOA receipt received upon the submission of the replacement application form in order for them to issue the I-551.

Visit USCIS's website for more information regarding the GC replacement process:
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card

Thank you very much Mom!

I submit the package in Jan, and thats what I thought so too

If you submitted your package in January, then it's not unreasonable to expect your FO to have received the I-485 package and requested the KCC file as at the end of March.

Also if you only submitted the package in January and where already calling and trying to follow up one month after, you shouldn't be surprised with any inaccurate information you receive. You guys really need to exercise a bit more patience, constantly calling and making case enquiries can be quite disruptive and backfire sometimes.

If you submitted your package in January, then it's not unreasonable to expect your FO to have received the I-485 package and requested the KCC file as at the end of March.

Also if you only submitted the package in January and where already calling and trying to follow up one month after, you shouldn't be surprised with any inaccurate information you receive. You guys really need to exercise a bit more patience, constantly calling and making case enquiries can be quite disruptive and backfire sometimes.
Thanks mom

Hi Mom,

I called KCC again, she told me that we have sent your file to another department and we are waiting for their response? What did she mean by another department? Is there any chance that they lost my file or any other problem?
(I asked her what is the other department? she said "I just told you, another department!" :D).

Hi Mom,

I called KCC again, she told me that we have sent your file to another department and we are waiting for their response? What did she mean by another department? Is there any chance that they lost my file or any other problem?
(I asked her what is the other department? she said "I just told you, another department!" :D).

Amiru, to me they said that they directly send the document by email to the FO. My phone call was: Hi I'm a selectee of the Diversity VISA lottery 2016 and since I'm already in the US I've applied to the Adjustment of Status through the USCIS, I just would like to know if they requested my file.
At that point they asked me case number, last name and birth date and she told me when the file was asked and when they sent it by email.

Some of you are getting hung up on what you have been told, contradictions, different departments and so on. Please understand, people in your positions are rarely so well informed as you all are (thanks to Mom and this forum). So - you will often be told nonsense by the people you call or even on infopass appointments. Most people would simply accept the mysterious sounding nonsense and the officer can get back to reading their newspaper - so you catch them off guard when you try and drill into the nonsense. Now - you are knowledgeable enough to start obsessing about the nonsense. Stop obsessing. Focus on the very short list of things we have identified as the list of questions. There are only a few things....

Hi Mom,

Okay, help us understand what's going on here. When you call KCC, do you simply ask about the status of your file or you try to engage them by providing more information about how you've had your interview, the previous information they provided you with when last you called, etc?

Okay, help us understand what's going on here. When you call KCC, do you simply ask about the status of your file or you try to engage them by providing more information about how you've had your interview, the previous information they provided you with when last you called, etc?
When I call KCC, I ask if my FO has requested my file and if you have sent it or not? Then they ask my name, case number and date of birth, and in all my calls they approved that my FO has requested my file on March 8th. But I got different answer afterward:
- It's common and it takes up to 4 weeks (6, 8, and 12 are other answers that I got)
- One of them said that we send the files every month, so we probably send yours on May 8th! (I know that's the most stupid answer)
- Last time she said that we have a note on your case that it has taken more than usual. However, we have sent it to another department and we are waiting for their response and there is nothing else that we can to, we should wait.
- One of them was surprised how I had my interview before my FO received my file.

When I call KCC, I ask if my FO has requested my file and if you have sent it or not? Then they ask my name, case number and date of birth, and in all my calls they approved that my FO has requested my file on March 8th. But I got different answer afterward:
- It's common and it takes up to 4 weeks (6, 8, and 12 are other answers that I got)
- One of them said that we send the files every month, so we probably send yours on May 8th! (I know that's the most stupid answer)
- Last time she said that we have a note on your case that it has taken more than usual. However, we have sent it to another department and we are waiting for their response and there is nothing else that we can to, we should wait.
- One of them was surprised how I had my interview before my FO received my file.

Not sure why they're giving you the run around. But if what you narrated above is all you tell them each time you call, I'm wondering how they figured out you've already been interviewed as I don't think the FO provides them with that information when requesting the KCC file.

Some of you are getting hung up on what you have been told, contradictions, different departments and so on. Please understand, people in your positions are rarely so well informed as you all are (thanks to Mom and this forum). So - you will often be told nonsense by the people you call or even on infopass appointments. Most people would simply accept the mysterious sounding nonsense and the officer can get back to reading their newspaper - so you catch them off guard when you try and drill into the nonsense. Now - you are knowledgeable enough to start obsessing about the nonsense. Stop obsessing. Focus on the very short list of things we have identified as the list of questions. There are only a few things....

Well said! I couldn't have said it any better.

Thank you for being helpful for us
Today april 28th I got my letter for the interview which was set three weeks from today ( May 18th) . before asking my question I have these set of information 1) I called kentucky counselor and they told me my file was requested on april 18th and sent on april 21st. 2) I did my bio metric on march 30th 3) the letter is asking to bring arrest records
My questions are :
first were to get the arrest record
secon I had really stupid case in the court when my crazy neighbor accused me for stealing his bic tire, yes a bic tire. He had personal issues with me but offcours the case was dismissed and I have never been arrested
third question does the intreview letter means I passed the security check or they need the arrest record? is it the usual way if there is a missing paper to be asked by the mail? BTW I sent a certified copy of my court record which shows the case was dismissed
thanks in advance

Hello everyone,
I have very productive Infopass today. I went over there and asked all that questions.
So It's DHS error so I don't need to pay the fee which is good. And I can apply online (which I already did) for replacement card. After I will get receipt for this application I need to go to another Infopass and they will give me temporary card and stamp my passport and it will be valid for 9 mo, and I can travel with this temporary card and stamp.
Well, I am very relieved now.
Thank you again Mom and good like to all who are waiting!