• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

If I'm reading correctly, the 5 bases seems like pretty high bars to meet? I don't see studying elsewhere as being good enough?
http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...nge/student/residency-waiver/eligibility.html

.77sam, when does she finish her studies?

Most J1 visa holders subject to the 2 year home stay residency requirement who are in need of the waiver typically fall under the first one 'No Objection' category. Numerous J1 visa holders filing AOS have successfully obtained the waiver and completed their AOS process.

Mom,

Form g-325 wants an alien registration #, do you know at what point do I get one, or do i just leave it blank?

Thank you!

Most J1 visa holders subject to the 2 year home stay residency requirement who are in need of the waiver typically fall under the first one 'No Objection' category. Numerous J1 visa holders filing AOS have successfully obtained the waiver and completed their AOS process.

One more question, do they apply for this in advance of the interview? It is not like other waivers where you have to go to interview, get declined but for something waiverable, then go get the waiver and re-interview?

I'm just wondering what the study timeline is that it is so difficult for the time back in Nepal, and also what the implications of that are for timeously taking up the green card itself. May be worth trying to delay the interview if it is not too dodgy time wise to do so.

Mom,

Form g-325 wants an alien registration #, do you know at what point do I get one, or do i just leave it blank?

Thank you!

You wouldn't have an Alien # if you've never applied for immigration benefit from USCIS before, so you can leave the section blank.

One more question, do they apply for this in advance of the interview? It is not like other waivers where you have to go to interview, get declined but for something waiverable, then go get the waiver and re-interview?

I'm just wondering what the study timeline is that it is so difficult for the time back in Nepal, and also what the implications of that are for timeously taking up the green card itself. May be worth trying to delay the interview if it is not too dodgy time wise to do so.

It has to be applied for prior to the interview. For AOS cases, the waiver gets submitted with the rest of the AOS package. For CP, one would also need to apply and get the approval prior to going for the interview, and then present it when the home residency requirement issue is raised during the interview.

I thought finding the time to go back to Nepal was the best option considering she only has 3 months left, which is what I initially suggested to the OP. The interview can certainly be delayed for the requirement to be met. However, if the OP is looking at the cost of going back to Nepal for 3 months, it's definitely cheaper to apply for a waiver if that's a process they're willing to give a shot

It has to be applied for prior to the interview. For AOS cases, the waiver gets submitted with the rest of the AOS package. For CP, one would also need to apply and get the approval prior to going for the interview, and then present it when the home residency requirement issue is raised during the interview.

I thought finding the time to go back to Nepal was the best option considering she only has 3 months left, which is what I initially suggested to the OP. The interview can certainly be delayed for the requirement to be met. However, if the OP is looking at the cost of going back to Nepal for 3 months, it's definitely cheaper to apply for a waiver if that's a process they're willing to give a shot

He said
"How can she apply for a waiver and if she is unable to go to home country because of her study commitments" so I interpreted it as a time constraint. Which made me wonder how much of her studies are left, because she may possibly run into problems activating the green card if she has study commitments too. Or it may make sense to try tine the interview for near the end of the course, if that is possible.

He said
"How can she apply for a waiver and if she is unable to go to home country because of her study commitments" so I interpreted it as a time constraint. Which made me wonder how much of her studies are left, because she may possibly run into problems activating the green card if she has study commitments too. Or it may make sense to try tine the interview for near the end of the course, if that is possible.

She doesn't need to go home to get the waiver, and if she gets the GC (and is time constrained due to study commitment), she wouldn't need 3 months for the activation trip. If she wants to go back and complete her studies, I'm sure they can work something out around that.

Thank you very much Sm1mom and SusieQQQ. You are awesome! We will try to get the waiver from home country on the basis of study and will also try to go back to home country after the study commitments are fulfilled. The study requirements are also needs to be fulfilled in order to lawfully stay in foreign country. It is clear for us now.

Thank you very much Sm1mom and SusieQQQ. You are awesome! We will try to get the waiver from home country on the basis of study and will also try to go back to home country after the study commitments are fulfilled. The study requirements are also needs to be fulfilled in order to lawfully stay in foreign country. It is clear for us now.

It seems to me you neither looked at the link I provided you with nor followed the discussion between Susie and I. You can't apply for nor get a waiver on the basis of study commitment.

Thanks mom, I followed the discussions, we will apply for waiver with the first option that is no objection letter from foreign ministry of home country.

Hi, I can't find anywhere info about AOS process for the family all members are in US. Principal applicant L1, spouse L1, child L2. Please advise. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi, I can't find anywhere info about AOS process for the family all members are in US. Principal applicant L1, spouse L1, child L2. Please advise. Any information would be appreciated.

Answer in the following post:

Here we go again, :rolleyes: :)DV 2016 Thread for the lucky selectees already based in the U.S. and planning on processing AOS. Please go through the attached spreadsheet, (it will do you a world of good), and post subsequent questions regarding the processing on this Thread.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E&usp=drive_web#gid=5

All the best!

Answer in the following post:
I went through that spreadsheet a few times. Just would be great to have a few comments for those who apply for AOS with family:
1. Step 4 of AOS Process tab on the spreadsheet: should I send 3 checks $330 each or 1 check of $990?
2. AOS Package tab: should I send 1 mail to lockbox with all forms inside for principal and spouse and child? Is it better to put docs for each applicant to separate file to make all papers logically splitted in the email?
How I can be sure that there will be 1 common interview with my family, I mean that we will go together to the interview?

Sorry for my paranoid questions :) I came across the spreadsheet 2 days ago and it gave me really good understanding of overall process, thank you! Why USCIS doesn't have similar roadmap....

I went through that spreadsheet a few times. Just would be great to have a few comments for those who apply for AOS with family:
1. Step 4 of AOS Process tab on the spreadsheet: should I send 3 checks $330 each or 1 check of $990?
2. AOS Package tab: should I send 1 mail to lockbox with all forms inside for principal and spouse and child? Is it better to put docs for each applicant to separate file to make all papers logically splitted in the email?
How I can be sure that there will be 1 common interview with my family, I mean that we will go together to the interview?

Sorry for my paranoid questions :) I came across the spreadsheet 2 days ago and it gave me really good understanding of overall process, thank you! Why USCIS doesn't have similar roadmap....

1. One cheque for $990

2. Put each application together with its supporting documents as one package giving you a total of 3 packages. All 3 packages should then be mailed out as one big/single package. Mailing everything together as one package is how you ensure your family's application stays together.

You came across the spreadsheet about 2 days ago, yet you posted a couple of hours earlier that you couldn't find any information about the AOS process?:rolleyes:

Why USCIS doesn't have a similar roadmap? Maybe you can help us ask them when you go for your interview :)

1You came across the spreadsheet about 2 days ago, yet you posted a couple of hours earlier that you couldn't find any information about the AOS process?:rolleyes:
In my first post I mentioned "info about AOS process for the family" as there on the spread sheet on the process tab was nothing said explicitly about cases with a few people together. But it's only my problem, I always have a hard time with understanding of documents :oops:

1 more question:
On the DS-260 submission confirmation page I read:

All Diversity Visa applicants must:
3. Contact your local USCIS Field Office for further information about booking an appointment.
The KCC will not schedule your interview with USCIS. You must contact your local USCIS Field Office for further instructions on how to book an appointment.

Does that mean that I have to contact local office now?

In my first post I mentioned "info about AOS process for the family" as there on the spread sheet on the process tab was nothing said explicitly about cases with a few people together. But it's only my problem, I always have a hard time with understanding of documents :oops:

1 more question:
On the DS-260 submission confirmation page I read:

All Diversity Visa applicants must:
3. Contact your local USCIS Field Office for further information about booking an appointment.
The KCC will not schedule your interview with USCIS. You must contact your local USCIS Field Office for further instructions on how to book an appointment.

Does that mean that I have to contact local office now?

Well, I would have thought the fact that the spreadsheet went to the trouble of listing the required documents for the Principal Applicant, the Spouse, and Children, addresses the issue of AOS "process for the family". After all, it's not like the derivatives are expected to send in their AOS package without the PA also applying at the same time. But since you already stated you have a hard time understanding documents, I suppose that settles the issue.

To answer you question, no you don't have to contact your local USCIS office now. You submit your AOS package when your number becomes current.

Hello There, I was trying to find a person for Affidavit of support but has not found any yet. Just was thinking to use my own income documents and taxes instead of a support letter from another person. Any suggestion if that would be a good movement or not. about me:

On F1 visa, currently teaching assistant. On my w2 it says an average annual income of 19.5k. Is it enough not to be a public charge? Anyone knows an official website discussing the minimum wage requirements so I can dig more into it?

Thanks.

Hello There, I was trying to find a person for Affidavit of support but has not found any yet. Just was thinking to use my own income documents and taxes instead of a support letter from another person. Any suggestion if that would be a good movement or not. about me:

On F1 visa, currently teaching assistant. On my w2 it says an average annual income of 19.5k. Is it enough not to be a public charge? Anyone knows an official website discussing the minimum wage requirements so I can dig more into it?

Thanks.

Your income on its own may be enough to overcome the public charge requirement - it's definitely above the required minimum poverty guideline. Below is a USCIS link to the poverty guidelines for completing the affidavit of support. I know the document references an I-864, it's equally applicable to completing an I-134:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Hi mom,

Thanks for everything. You are amazing. I have two questions:
1)My CN is EU00001*** should I file my I-485 or do you think it is too early? Because %99.9999 my CN will become current in October. So , can it still be too early to file in this case?? my documents are ready.
2)I just graduated and am currently on OPT. Would they expect me to have a job and/or solid income?

Thank you very much.

Last edited: