• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

I'd get the police check done and address it then. The DS260 asks if you have been arrested, cautioned, convicted. If he has, then he has to admit that.

But, like I said with my husband, he had no idea whether he'd been arrested. He knew he hadn't been cautioned or convicted but he still got the check done before we filled in the DS260 just to be sure.

If your husband was over 18, it will show up on the check (the check they require is a complete check which will show all spent and unspent offences). If he was under 18, it may not show up at all - hence I'd get the check done just to be sure.

And, if in doubt, just be honest. They prefer honesty than a lie.
He was 17 at the time. He doesn't remember but he does remember being in the cell. We will address it in the ds 260. We had a police clearance done for both of us for security access, it hasn't come through yet.
He has no father's name in his birth certificate, teenage mum- never knew his father. What shall we put in his form when it comes to father's name?

Someone here, had said to me to keep calm, which I'm finding it too hard now. these 4 days will be total torture.

Thank you @Sm1smom, @Britsimon and @MattWatt, I appreciate your ongoing help. Fingers crossed I sell up and move within a year after activation. I'm sure it will be fine, I just wanted to cover myself just in case.

And @EmilyW and @guestgulkan I did sort my address problem and will take britsimons advice and have our GC's sent to an actual person (another friend has kindly offered to assist, what a huge relief!) thank you for your help and answers too.

No long to go before we are all living in the US now!

You don't have to write the father's name if it's unknown.
Thank you for your help @EmilyW and @Britsimon . You make this place a warm, inviting and encouraging to be in. I'd buy you some alcoholic chocolates if I could for celebration. And my favourite chocolate mud cake too.

images
images
Shouts on me off course! :), would be nice to meet up one day. All of us.

This is tangential, but your profile pic looks rather like La Salle St, Chi Town. Is that where you're headed?
Yes, you are totally right, is La Salle St in Chi Town and if I win the green card yes I will be living in Chicago, is my favourite city in all the world. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Yes, you are totally right, is La Salle St in Chi Town and if I win the green card yes I will be living in Chicago, is my favourite city in all the world. Fingers crossed.

I think you'll be sweet with you number.

It is an awesome place. I have a condo there in the Gold Coast not far from N. Michigan Avenue. Beautiful old brownstone. To be honest, I've started to prefer the city over NY in recent years.

If the stars align and my number comes up (not too likely at this stage), or if either my wife or I are selected again, I'll turf the tenants and most likely move there. Urban, walkable, gritty, fairly left-wing, 24 hr transit, good writers and a diverse late-night culture. Plus it's cheap.

I'll just need self-hypnosis to deal with the hadean winters.

It is an awesome place. I have a condo there in the Gold Coast not far from N. Michigan Avenue. Beautiful old brownstone. To be honest, I've started to prefer the city over NY in recent years.

If the stars align and my number comes up (not too likely at this stage), or if either my wife or I are selected again, I'll turf the tenants and most likely move there. Urban, walkable, gritty, fairly left-wing, 24 hr transit, good writers and a diverse late-night culture. Plus it's cheap.

I'll just need self-hypnosis to deal with the hadean winters.

I'm hoping to get to NYC, but I love Chicago as well. We stayed in Wicker Park/Bucktown area - very cool.

Just completed my Medical in Sydney and have a few tips for people who, like I was, are trying to sneak out of the office without causing any alarm bells with your current employer!

- I went to Medibank (Chalmers St/Surry Hills) which is slightly more expensive than the George St Medical Centre but seemed to have MUCH more flexibility with appointment dates/times.

- Definitely get there 15 mins earlier if you can, as there is a stack of paperwork to get through before the Nurse/Dr will see you. In had my paperwork done before my appointment time of 8:30AM so could go through immediately.

- They let you go in a few days earlier (or later) and get the X-Ray done separately. You have to arrange this in advance by phone, and you still have to go to Medibank first to get paperwork sorted before going to the X-Ray place down the road, but this whole process is at least 30 minutes.

- Vaccinations could be done separately as well, which in my case would've saved a further 30 minutes. I had to get a top-up of MMR, and a Flu shot (if you're doing your US interview in Winter - you will also need a Flu shot). The vac's only take 5 mins, but there's waiting time etc.

- I arrived at 8:20AM, appt started at 8:30AM, and was out of there by 9:50AM. Could've been 9:30AM without the vac's.

Hope that's helpful for someone!

Hi all - I have a couple of questions re: POE...
I am now in Toronto and getting ready to cross the border in late May. I have the immigration visa but my partner doesn't...he'll be applying for an E3. My question is: should we enter the US separately just to avoid questions? Is there much danger that they will think my partner is trying to immigrate permanently and therefore deny him entry?

Secondly, a friend has invited us to go to Detroit for a day (it's only 3 hours or so from Toronto)...if I go, this will become my POE. Has anyone got experience entering the states for the first time at a road border? Are they set up to deal properly with visa activation?

Thanks!

Yes I do, so I can use that to pay it? Thanks @MattWatt! I created an account and then got confused as to how I could pay. I appreciate your advice. :)

I used my ANZ debit card, not an Issue, but its more like $230 AUD from memory! What an expensive exercise!