• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

I had my interview here in Singapore last week and they have requested documents that would not have been necessary in Australia - including a letter from my employer (when i checked what I needed before my interview they did not say this was necessary). They also want to have all my degree certificates not just High School. They told me also that they are not used to Australian applicants so need to verify my high school certificate. Anyway, all of these documents were sent back today. Fingers crossed everything is approved in time. Now the waiting game.

I had my interview here in Singapore last week and they have requested documents that would not have been necessary in Australia - including a letter from my employer (when i checked what I needed before my interview they did not say this was necessary). They also want to have all my degree certificates not just High School. They told me also that they are not used to Australian applicants so need to verify my high school certificate. Anyway, all of these documents were sent back today. Fingers crossed everything is approved in time. Now the waiting game.

Yup that is a problem when interviewing away from home and especially at an embassy that doesn't get a lot of DV action.

Yup that is a problem when interviewing away from home and especially at an embassy that doesn't get a lot of DV action.

Although, we always say people should take copies of all education qualifications - high school and tertiary - to be on the safe side. The checking education issue can't be helped, though may have been seen as unnecessary with proof of degrees - there seems to be little consistency sometimes in how this is viewed.
Don't know what the letter from employer is about or why they want that.

Although, we always say people should take copies of all education qualifications - high school and tertiary - to be on the safe side. The checking education issue can't be helped, though may have been seen as unnecessary with proof of degrees - there seems to be little consistency sometimes in how this is viewed.
Don't know what the letter from employer is about or why they want that.

I suspect the CO did not know much about DV in general - and was simply trying to gather documents to show a supervisor who might know more.

Because we were interviewing in Sydney and my husband's education was in the UK, we were concerned that Sydney would be confused by A and O levels. And they were! The CO took one look at the four pages of results from different examining boards, I swear his eyes crossed and then he said 'You have a degree, right?' and took that instead. We also had an equivalence certification with us but it wasn't needed.

@japanaus, I reckon you'll be fine. You qualify, end of. And there's still just over three weeks. We'll be cheering you on to the end.

Thanks for all the messages guys! Just went on a "like" frenzy. To think I've finally got a greencard after all these years just blows my mind.

It's not possible to post a decent interview report while travelling but since I'm back at my computer I'll do a write-up later today.

Because we were interviewing in Sydney and my husband's education was in the UK, we were concerned that Sydney would be confused by A and O levels. And they were! The CO took one look at the four pages of results from different examining boards, I swear his eyes crossed and then he said 'You have a degree, right?' and took that instead. We also had an equivalence certification with us but it wasn't needed.

@japanaus, I reckon you'll be fine. You qualify, end of. And there's still just over three weeks. We'll be cheering you on to the end.

Thank you EmilyW. Everything is crossed.

I did actually bring my Bachelors degree certificate from Australia, but the person checking the documents said that I also needed all the academic transcripts, which I did not have. They then said it was okay to show my Japanese Masters degree, but did not know the company who translated it (was an overseas company) so then asked for that to be translated here in Singapore. Overall a painful process. But like you said, I meet all the qualifications. The CO even said congratulations to me, just that I needed to submit the letter from my employer and the re-translated Japanese certificate. Now it's just a waiting game.

To quote Kath and Kim, I can feel [your green card] in my waters, @japanaus. You may be our last OCer of the year and I'm predicting a good result.

Congrats to all recently approved! It's so exciting, even if you're sure you meet the requirements, there's nothing like that weight off your shoulders when you're approved :) I'm activating in six weeks, can't wait to officially be a LPR. Then it's back to Australia for about ten months to save, save, save (was going to be six months, but with the dollar dropping like a rock I figure a bit more saving time can't hurt!). If anyone is doing a PoE trip to Hawai'i in November let me know and we can have a celebration mai tai!

Hi Gang,

I'm sorry about this post as I'm sure it has been answered a million times before (I've done a search and can't find it). I recently received my passport back from the US consulate in Sydney and I have a activation date of 15th Jan 2015. I have some study I'd like to finish before heading off. Am I able to enter and activate my green card in early Jan and then head back for 5-6 months to finish my study? and if so how long do I have to re-enter the USA once my study is finished here in Australia..

Any help would be great and once again I'm sorry if this answer is staring me in the face..

Enter in January and then come back to finish your study. You have up to 12 months after you first activate to make the permanent move. We activated in June but won't be making the permanent move until January / February.

In the meantime, you just need to meet the obligations of a lawful permanent resident (filing tax returns etc).

That list looks good to me. We didn't need / get the flu shot but our medicals were in March so it wasn't the season for it.

Congrats to everyone who has had successful interviews over the last couple of months!

I know this has been asked before, and sure I have read it, but I don't have time to read through all 246 pages :)

How long after your activation trip does the Green Card get posted to nominated address ? Approximately?

I'm heading over in December to activate, set up banking etc. Cant wait :p

We activated on 6 June 2015 and the Green Cards were at my brother's apartment on 11 July 2015. So around six weeks.