• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Anybody have the number to check the status of the green card production, the number the USCIS has given me just rotates thru a load of menus that have nothing to do with checking on production of the physical green card, I have received mine but hubby and daughter still waiting after activating in February, not getting anywhere with numbers I have, thanks in advance:)

Hi Ham64112
Ya I am a bit nervous and excited at the same time. I guess I am lucky with my number and hope to be as lucky in the interview too.. The visa bulletin comes out on the 10th or 11th of each month, few more days to go:)
Dalia
Lol don't be nervous just be excited ... like Mom said "buckle in for a long wait..." so we are waiting

As we are still undecided how and where to make our POE activation trip, I started to research whether we can enter the States in some of of the smaller airports on Hawaii - Big island, for example... what a surprise when I noticed that the most of listed POEs on CBP website have regular working hours, even say San Francisco international?! I have never heard of someone with DV visa arriving on Friday at 5:01PM and waiting until Monday to be admitted :) well, can one enter anywhere where POE is listed international and do not risk sleeping on the ground? ;-)
http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/san-francisco-international-airport

As we are still undecided how and where to make our POE activation trip, I started to research whether we can enter the States in some of of the smaller airports on Hawaii - Big island, for example... what a surprise when I noticed that the most of listed POEs on CBP website have regular working hours, even say San Francisco international?! I have never heard of someone with DV visa arriving on Friday at 5:01PM and waiting until Monday to be admitted :) well, can one enter anywhere where POE is listed international and do not risk sleeping on the ground? ;-)
http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/san-francisco-international-airport

The working hours do not apply to the officers processing arrivals. Otherwise nobody arriving on a plane outside working hours could get across the border outside 9-5

Hope everyone is well! I'm back from a couple of weeks in Thailand - reminded me what heat is like after this chilly Aussie winter!!

It got me thinking though: the outgoing passenger card from Australia. When I activate, I'm going to Honolulu for a week in November followed by a permanent move to Denver in mid-2016. When I head off to Hawai'i, do I tick the 'Australian Resident Leaving Permanently' box? Or just say it's a holiday? Just unsure as a become I permanent resident of another country on arrival.

Last edited:
Hope everyone is well! I'm back from a couple of weeks in Thailand - reminded me what heat is like after this chilly Aussie winter!!

It got me thinking though: the outgoing passenger card from Australia. When I activate, I'm going to Honolulu for a week in November followed by a permanent move to Denver in mid-2016. When I head off to Hawai'i, do I tick the 'Australian Resident Leaving Permanently' box? Or just say it's a holiday? Just unsure as a become I permanent resident of another country on arrival.

I'd just say it's a holiday.

We put holiday and no one blinked an eye:)

We put holiday and no one blinked an eye:)

I don't like the government knowing what I'm doing outside Australia so I fill my exit cards poorly. eg if my stopover is Singapore I give them my Singapore boarding pass and put that as my destination, put a generic term like "consultant" as my job, never fill in the email address, put PO Box address etc. Never had a problem.

The USA / Canada don't have immigration departures processing. Australia could remove the whole thing and just monitor departures using computer like they do.

I started to wonder if my Aussie Driving License would be valid during our activation trip to California we do in Nov. I see there is a requirement to get local license once we become we residents, but during the trip and on Green card, would there be a problem to rent a car and legally drive?

I started to wonder if my Aussie Driving License would be valid during our activation trip to California we do in Nov. I see there is a requirement to get local license once we become we residents, but during the trip and on Green card, would there be a problem to rent a car and legally drive?

No problem at all.

Sure?

Sure? Instructions are not very clear as this is an immigrant visa.

Entering the U.S. as an immigrant, and becoming a resident of a state, are entirely different things. The latter is the relevant issue for a driver's license, and I don't know anyone who got a state drivers license on an activation trip. Of course, if you want to go ahead and try get a CA license during your activation trip, you can, if you are convinced it's where you will end up eventually, and feel it's worth spending the time (bearing in mind that you will need your SSN card too), and can get the relevant appointments during your trip. What address do you plan to give the DMV? Remember CA residents also pay more tax, which you'll be liable for effective as of your activation trip as you will have declared yourself a resident.

Last edited:
Sure?

Sure? Instructions are not very clear as this is an immigrant visa.
Entering the U.S. as an immigrant, and becoming a resident of a state, are entirely different things. The latter is the relevant issue for a driver's license, and I don't know anyone who got a state drivers license on an activation trip. Of course, if you want to go ahead and try get a CA license during your activation trip, you can, if you are convinced it's where you will end up eventually, and feel it's worth spending the time (bearing in mind that you will need your SSN card too), and can get the relevant appointments during your trip. What address do you plan to give the DMV? Remember CA residents also pay more tax, which you'll be liable for effective as of your activation trip as you will have declared yourself a resident.

Listen to Susie and for goodness sake don't declare yourself as CA resident when you are not!

The car rental companies don't give a monkies about the foreign D/L.

Thank you @SusieQQQ @Britsimon and @MattWatt.
I only want to know that I am on the legal side, if stopped by the police. We plan to have a few days in San Franciso, few days around lake Tahoe and another few days somewhere around SF... still undecided. Any good suggestion for a family with 2 kids? :)
I have no intention to declare myself resident of California or try to get a DL there. Just when we moved to Aus things were a bit more clear - my DL was valid for 3 months from first entry and when we moved on a second trip after activation, it was already invalid but luckily exchangeable.

Thank you @SusieQQQ @Britsimon and @MattWatt.
I only want to know that I am on the legal side, if stopped by the police. We plan to have a few days in San Franciso, few days around lake Tahoe and another few days somewhere around SF... still undecided. Any good suggestion for a family with 2 kids? :)
I have no intention to declare myself resident of California or try to get a DL there. Just when we moved to Aus things were a bit more clear - my DL was valid for 3 months from first entry and when we moved on a second trip after activation, it was already invalid but luckily exchangeable.

It is crystal clear here too. You have to apply for a CA license within 10 days of becoming resident here (so 10 days versus 3 months - same thing). However, out of state and foreign driving licenses are also considered valid for temporary visits. A temporary visit can exceed 10 days of course - so it is somewhat "self policing" about when you declare yourself resident (but cops will often inquire if they feel you are pretending to be a non resident).

What to do in CA with 2 kids. Lots of stuff to do - some fun things in San Francisco - a few things to start you off:-
http://www.golden-gate-park.com/academy-of-sciences.html
http://www.exploratorium.edu/

Lake Tahoe is lovely of course lots of boating opportunities - some amazing hikes - very nice. The drive between the SF and Lake Tahoe is cool. Napa is the famous wine region, although my area (Livermore) is an up and coming wine region and a lot less commercial than Napa. Or a drive down the coast to Carmel/Monterey is awesome and Monterey has a wonderful seaquarium.

And britsimon left out Sonoma county, which apart from the wine also has some beautiful towns especially in the Russian River Valley, Sonoma itself with the old mission, and the Armstrong Redwood reserve which is way less touristy than Muir Woods but stunning. You'll probably also want to spend at least a couple hours in Sausalito, either going over the golden gate bridge or taking a ferry. Plenty to do...

POE HNL - notes:

1. when you arrive out of the plane / airbridge, walk along the concourse corridor to the welcome sign and down steps (see photo above), then through the open door to the left (see bottom of photo).
2. you are now in the arrivals hall with the Q lines for CB immigration - 5 main lines.
3. If you have family like us, once in the hall, turn left and there are bathrooms to use right there, a water drink station / fountain, and some seating. We were not sure how long it may take so used the amenities. Also it was a long (as in a bit stressful) flight as it is summer hurricane season and it was bumpy so we stayed in our seats pretty much, and needed to clean up a bit.
4. Usually any arrivals hall is packed, but just by chance we were the only flight arriving early at that time. By the time the family (girls) finished powdering their noses, the place was empty - we were the only ones there.
5. An officer came up to us and saw the yellow envelopes in the hand, and said oh you are new immigrants first time right? and told us to continue along the left to the end and wait - they knew!
6. As soon as we got to the end Q line partition we were ushered up to the booth window, and handed yellow envelopes, boarding cards, passports and CB blue form (see photo - a tourist has one in hand - you only need 1 per family).
7. I got told off for not marking YES to food etc (kids were chewing on candy in front of officer - ooops). Wife went through the PA story, confirmed we were only activating and would be leaving / returning.
8. It was quiet - no one else in the hall - we now had 3 officers and 2 assistants with us (!!!) - all chatting away trying to help out - nothing else happening!
9. We were told that it was mainly Filipino / Japanese that directly immigrate to HI, and they actually get very few Aus immigrants as we can come and go every 3 months with a VOE. Interesting.
10. More chatting, then one of the assistants asked about our luggage, then actually went and got it for us and brought it to us - that was pretty cool service.
11. Apart from all the chat, on a serious note, we got "read our rights" regarding making sure we return with-in 1 year for PR - take note everyone.
11. Then one of the officers said - hey I had better check those passports again - can't remember if I stamped them of not, haha, .. (!!! I wasn't laughing - no comment needed !!!). It's pretty casual in HI.
12. After about 15 minutes talking we heard a rumbling noise, and one officer said ... ok folks .. here they come ... (ie - next lot of passengers approaching) - and said you can go now ...

Last edited: