• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Actually australia is really harsh on these things - I had an uncle and aunt who immigrated there - after they had been there two years he had a stroke - and they got kicked out on a similar basis.
They are harsh, my cousin injured his eye sight while welding (he is a mig welder by trade)- they denied him work permit so he had to come to NZ in the 80s. But on the other hand Australia is tough on border security- which is beneficial to the country. New Zealand on the other hand- need to really tighten their security.

They are harsh, my cousin injured his eye sight while welding (he is a mig welder by trade)- they denied him work permit so he had to come to NZ in the 80s. But on the other hand Australia is tough on border security- which is beneficial to the country. New Zealand on the other hand- need to really tighten their security.

Bear in mind this was a couple who had immigrated on some kind of investment visa. Brought money in, started a business, employed locals.. Then basically got given 6 months to leave so had to sell at a loss because word quickly got round that they were forced sellers, etc. All in all I think they were treated extremely harshly. Then again didn't some guy have to go to court in NZ not long ago to stop being deported becadue he was too fat?

Morning

My passport is due to expire in November 2015 so I am curious to know if I have to get this updated before the POE in June/July?
Some cases passports need to be valid for 6 months after the date of travel. Because I now have the GC Visa stamped in the expiring passport, will the 6 month validity be applicable or will I be allowed to travel on this passport? (I will be booking a return flight for only a couple of weeks to activate so will be back in AUS before it actually expires.)

1) If I have to update, will this be a problem at the POE if my Visa is in a different passport if I update and carry both?

2) Also, if I update my new passport to my new married name, will this also be a problem at POE or for the Green Card being updated to the married name?

I appreciate any help with this.

Hi All, I made it to the States safe and sound. POE through LA was very straight forward - went through the customs line as normal, passport was checked and fingerprints scanned then he sent me down to the end of the customs area to wait for another officer. I had an ink fingerprint taken, signed a couple documents and sat waiting for about 10mins while my documents were checked then that was it! The customs officer said "Welcome home" and I was on my way!

Settling in NYC but am on a holiday with friends at the moment. I'm subletting a place through a friend so have a permanent address but no bill/lease. I tried to set up an account with Chase but without proof of address I couldn't. I opened accounts with Citibank before I left Aus and was able to open an account with them here in the US with no problem. Might change banks at a later stage.

Enjoying the next wk of holidays then back to NY to start the job hunt.

All of the info on this forum has been so helpful, thanks everyone!

Good luck to those still going through the process.

Morning

My passport is due to expire in November 2015 so I am curious to know if I have to get this updated before the POE in June/July?
Some cases passports need to be valid for 6 months after the date of travel. Because I now have the GC Visa stamped in the expiring passport, will the 6 month validity be applicable or will I be allowed to travel on this passport? (I will be booking a return flight for only a couple of weeks to activate so will be back in AUS before it actually expires.)

1) If I have to update, will this be a problem at the POE if my Visa is in a different passport if I update and carry both?

2) Also, if I update my new passport to my new married name, will this also be a problem at POE or for the Green Card being updated to the married name?

I appreciate any help with this.

The fact that you have an IV on your should work in our favor which means having a passport with less than 6 months validity shouldn't stop the airline from boarding you or the CBP from admitting you at the POE. As a matter of fact even with a NIV, anyone holding an Australian passport is exempt from the required six months validity as stated on page 19 of the Carrier Information Guide released by the U.S. CBP:

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Carrier Information Guide- English.pdf

1. However, if you choose to renew the passport, it shouldn't be a problem provided you carry both the old and the new passports with you.

2. The new passport has to be with he current name on your old passport, you will have issues if the name on the new passport does not match the new on the visa. The GC will not be updated to your married name if the visa is already issued in your maiden name, this is not a change you can initiate the the POE either. The only way you can make his change will be to apply for a replacement GC which will cost additional time and money. If you wanted the GC in your new married name, you should have informed the CO at the time of your interview and gotten a new passport in the new name.

Thank you sms1mom.

That is very interesting about aus passports being exempt, thanks for the link.

I will leave my name the way it is. I didn't really care about changing my name anyway, was just more curious than anything. I appreciate your fast and detailed reply :) thank you again.

Heya!

Just joining the group. I'm an Aussie but I'll be interviewing in London. I wonder if that will be either an advantage or disadvantage? Anyway my number is 14xx, so I'm going to be stressing my head off till the July bulletin, but fingers crossed! How's everyone else around those numbers feeling?

☀️

You'll be right, IMO, @kellie_jane. I think anyone under 1500 can rest pretty easy. It's jumping 100 each month but I think there might be a couple of jumps for OC towards the end.

I've added you to our spreadsheet. Welcome to our little group!

OC tends to rise 100 each month
  • February: 775
  • March: 875
  • April: 975
  • May: 1075
  • Jun: 1175
Let's extrapolate +100 (not exactly scientific I know)
  • Jul: 1275
  • Aug: 1375
  • Sep: 1475
I'll be put out of my misery.. September numbers come out.. July 15-ish

I hope you are right!! I wold love for your number to come up! Fingers crossed.

I know I have a low IQ ... lol ... but how do you put the info below you name in the section below the dotted line, so I can add the usual info.

@EmilyW ... not sure if we are on your spreadsheet yet.

Is there anyone here that has an interview in Syd next May2015?

Sorry @martinskypemartin, you're added to the spreadsheet now.

To fix your signature, scroll to the top right of the forum. Where you see your name, hover over it, and a range of options will open up. Click on 'Signature' and add your signature.

I'm pretty sure @reeko is interviewing next month.