• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

maybe i did not make my opinion clear or u did not understand what i meant to say. all i am trying to say is that the applicants are unable to report the issue to the police because they are at fault too especially when they ( applicants) agree to further process the visa application when they are not even sure of the details ( photo) used during the edv.

Perhaps you did not understand what I meant. The applicants are not "at fault" for proceeding. They were not trying to do anything illegal. They may have been gullible, they may not have understood the procedure, they may not have known the rules, whatever, but they are not "at fault". What they are, is scammed. The only people at fault are the agents who are scamming. Lacking knowledge, or even being stupid, is not a crime.

Perhaps you did not understand what I meant. The applicants are not "at fault" for proceeding. They were not trying to do anything illegal. They may have been gullible, they may not have understood the procedure, they may not have known the rules, whatever, but they are not "at fault". What they are, is scammed. The only people at fault are the agents who are scamming. Lacking knowledge, or even being stupid, is not a crime.
cool

The police won't help for sure,l think we both know our country very well.
I disagree with u!
The police may have serious weaknesses and they may not act the you would expect but remember this-any reported crime is recorded as an occurrence.
When they decide to work, police do work especially when their records show a trend or prevalence of certain type of crime
Do not encourage people not to report crime/ criminals!

I disagree with u!
The police may have serious weaknesses and they may not act the you would expect but remember this-any reported crime is recorded as an occurrence.
When they decide to work, police do work especially when their records show a trend or prevalence of certain type of crime
Do not encourage people not to report crime/ criminals!
Point well put

@JC2015

Really sorry to read about your visa denial. I suggest you report the agent so that you can try the DV2017 by yourself to avoid disqualification.

Wish you luck for the DV2017.

I have a quick question too , so did they stamp your passports - denied/ application received ?

Sorry for your loss once again , hope you overcome the loss.
@Ms. Dada thanks. They won't stamp anything on the passport upon denial, they just give a red sheet with reasons for denial, they'll check the relevant to you.

As for the agent we called him and explained to him the consequences of what he did. We also asked him to never apply again for us.

@Ms. Dada thanks. They won't stamp anything on the passport upon denial, they just give a red sheet with reasons for denial, they'll check the relevant to you.

As for the agent we called him and explained to him the consequences of what he did. We also asked him to never apply again for us.
did you entered the lottery in addition to what the agent did or it was just that of the agent ( once or multiple)?

Yes I agree (as harsh as it sounds) the victims in these cases carry some of the blame. At some level they must know this isn't legitimate and they participate in this foolishness. The problem is "systemic". Whilst scammers are allowed to continue, and not named/shamed or reported, and victims continue to line up at their booths and then spend time trying to fix "issues" with documents and so on, the whole thing will continue. This is why some countries endure terrible denial rates on what is an incredibly easy way to get a Green Card. It takes a community to stand united against corruption, but when the community turns a blind eye to the whole thing, the corrupt will prosper.

For us our error was naivety in trusting our relatives who recommended this guy. And unfortunately it was our first time to apply the lottery. We didn't think he wasn't legitimate because he had helped other people before. The red flag came after we went to confirm our winning that we met people complaining of errors in their forms. After researching we decided to fill the DS260 forms ourselves and cut all contact with the agent. But unbeknown to us we were already in trouble nullified.

The bottom line is as long as someone has your info there's no telling what they'll do with it.

Yes but how does he know the agent will not enter again for him in DS2017 as well- like this time - and disqualify him again?

This is why people should REPORT AGENTS. It's all very well sharing info on a forum but if no-one names names and no-one reports these agents to the authorities and the US embassy, then they will just keep on "operating" and scamming people.

@SussieQQQ can one be disqualified for using an agent, that is a by the way. Now, in my initial entry I indicated the city of birth as Y, in DS260 I indicated as Y central. Please note that Y central is in Y. Is that a matter of concern, I did that because the district of birth in my birth certificate is indicated as Y central and this came about due to
boundary review done by IEBC Kenya some time back but unfortunately I had not taken that into consideration initially, can I reopen I my Ds 260 to change or is too late.

did you entered the lottery in addition to what the agent did or it was just that of the agent ( once or multiple)?

@aiguo we entered one application with him in 2012 which we totally forgot about and moved on. Since it was our first application we didn't know much about the lottery details. He applied again in 2013 using 2012 info (copy pasted) but didn't inform us. By 2013 a lot of facts had changed which should have been included in the application.

He only called us after that application won. But for us we thought it was the one for 2012 given he never called us back. He then gave us the confirmation number but we decided to part ways and fill our own DS260 forms. We felt the DS forms required too much personal info we didn't want to give to someone. The only way we could have avoided this pitfall was to not have used the agent at all. We know better now. But this was our first time we didn't know it would end this way.

@aiguo we entered one application with him in 2012 which we totally forgot about and moved on. Since it was our first application we didn't know much about the lottery details. He applied again in 2013 using 2012 info (copy pasted) but didn't inform us. By 2013 a lot of facts had changed which should have been included in the application.

He only called us after that application won. But for us we thought it was the one for 2012 given he never called us back. He then gave us the confirmation number but we decided to part ways and fill our own DS260 forms. We felt the DS forms required too much personal info we didn't want to give to someone. The only way we could have avoided this pitfall was to not have used the agent at all. We know better now. But this was our first time we didn't know it would end this way.

when was your kid born? the entry for 2015 DV lottery was between October 1, 2013 and November 2, 2013 so you should have known that there was nothing wrong. secondly, the ds 260 should also give you an hint since the kid was not listed when you first open the forms. anyway, we all learning from your experience.

JC2015 your story sounds contradicting but also very scary.Hope no one else will go through such again,so heartaching.

@podolski88 thanks for your observation but this story is simple. We only made one application with this agent. We met him in person as a family. We filled the application with him, proof read the application, then he took our photos with our kids and posted them online as we watched. He posted the application the following day in our absence. (we didn't contact him again). He used that same info and photos to apply the following year without contacting us. That application won. This is where the problem began.

Yes but how does he know the agent will not enter again for him in DS2017 as well- like this time - and disqualify him again?

This is why people should REPORT AGENTS. It's all very well sharing info on a forum but if no-one names names and no-one reports these agents to the authorities and the US embassy, then they will just keep on "operating" and scamming people.
@susie am willing to report this people,how can i contact the embassy?

when was your kid born? the entry for 2015 DV lottery was between October 1, 2013 and November 2, 2013 so you should have known that there was nothing wrong. secondly, the ds 260 should also give you an hint since the kid was not listed when you first open the forms. anyway, we all learning from your experience.

The kid was born in 2013 that was the blunder. The CO said i omitted the kid but the agent filled the form in our absence. Had we known before he applied then we would have added the child then.

@podolski88 thanks for your observation but this story is simple. We only made one application with this agent. We met him in person as a family. We filled the application with him, proof read the application, then he took our photos with our kids and posted them online as we watched. He posted the application the following day in our absence. (we didn't contact him again). He used that same info and photos to apply the following year without contacting us. That application won. This is where the problem began.
your story is real.

The kid was born in 2013 that was the blunder. The CO said i omitted the kid but the agent filled the form in our absence. Had we known before he applied then we would have added the child then.
you do not understand what i am trying to say. there are two ways you should have known you will be disqualified.
1. the date of birth of the kid since 2015 DV lottery was between October 1, 2013 and November 2, 2013, if your child was born before the dates then there is a problem.
2. Assuming you dont see 1, ds 260 should come with all the people listed during the edv so not having the kid listed on the page, should give you a hint.

you do not understand what i am trying to say. there are two ways you should have known you will be disqualified.
1. the date of birth of the kid since 2015 DV lottery was between October 1, 2013 and November 2, 2013, if your child was born before the dates then there us a problem.
2. Assuming you dont see 1, ds 260 should come with all the people listed during the edv so not having the kid listed on the page, should give you a hint.

That's clear now but wasn't clear then. Remember we thought we were dealing with the 2012 application.

That's clear now but wasn't clear then. Remember we thought we were dealing with the 2012 application.
we enter the lottery in 16th October then had our baby in 18th October. its similar to your case but the kid was after the lottery.

So sorry man,take heart.

1. the date of birth of the kid since 2015 DV lottery was between October 1, 2013 and November 2, 2013, if your child was born before the dates then there is a problem.

I think you're over flogging this issue. The OP has admitted the error on their part, so let's move on!