• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi everyone, just wanted to share my story with those reading who may have a similar situation to mine. Researching the DV process around the web I came across this site a few months ago and found answers to some helpful questions, so I wanted to give back to the community. My case number was very low in the 300's, however the lawyer I hired dragged her foot on submitting my paperwork. I ended up dropping her and getting 1/2 my deposit back. I submitted my I485 paper work myself on the last day of Oct. and got an email notification from USCIS on 12 Nov confirming receipt. Notice of Action came in the mail a few days later. About a month later I married my fiance to ensure he would be able to become a LPR with me. I was told by others that unless we got married before submission of my application, chances of my husband getting his GC were slim. I did lots of research and went ahead with filing a I824 (this is for follow to join spouses/children), a copy of our marriage certificate, copy of my originally filed I485 and NoA along with check for fees and a brief cover letter explaining our relationship to USCIS as well as to the office that was assigned my case. We received a notice of action for the application about two weeks later. To fast forward, I was called for biometrics in mid November, then received my EAD card in mid January. My interview was beginning of February and was about three questions long- just to verify my personal info. Since the officer didnt ask anything about my marriage and had referred to me by my maiden name, I went ahead and advised him of my change in marital status and informed that i had filed for my husband, currently living outside of the US, to follow and join. Officer asked for proof of application which I had along with our marriage certificate. Its so important to keep and carry copies of all forms submitted and receipts. The officer made note of my new name and a copy of my petition for my husband. Last week I received notice that my case had been decided, my welcome packet was mailed and the card is being produced. We also got notification that the petition for my husband was updated. Just waiting for my husband to receive instructions for his appointment at his home US consulate. I just wanna say, if its not too late, for those of you on the fence about getting married after submitting your forms...there's no need to pull your hairs out. As long as you do it before your interview and follow the right steps in notifying USCIS, you should be fine. Given that the relationship is bona fide, of course. Any question, please feel free to ask. Good luck to everyone still in the process. It's long and stressful but truly worth it!

Mom, I just wanted to follow up on my question a few pages back about changing my address. I am moving out of state in the middle of April (to start a new job) and I understand that it takes USCIS about 30 days for a change of address submitted online to take effect (I'm waiting for my IL, hence the risk that the interview letter might be sent to my old address). However, I'm also concerned about my case being transferred to the field office at my new location. Could a case transfer at this stage result in significant delays? In that situation, would they physically transfer my files to the new field office, which would take time, and then would I have to get back in line for an interview date to open up at the new field office? Also, do I have the option of keeping my case in NY (my current state) even if I move out of state since I'm just waiting for the interview letter?

I'm hoping I get the IL before I move since it's been over 5 months since I submitted my I-485 and I also did my biometrics in October. I've been to 2 INFOPASSES (I was told at the last one that I'm in the queue for an interview date) and I have another one scheduled in 2 weeks, which I will move forward if a slot opens up, so hopefully the IL shows up soon. Thanks!

Hmm...I understand. I might wait till next month. Do you think it should move faster now? I mean I know no one can know for sure..but just based on your experience.
@Britsimon any thoughts? I am just looking for some opinions.

Your CN could fall into July or August - hard to be exact at this point, but it seems sure it won't be for June. That means your early submission dates are mid May or mid June. You will want the medical to be ready before then - so I would suggest an April medical would be OK - but as Mom says it is up to you....

Your CN could fall into July or August - hard to be exact at this point, but it seems sure it won't be for June. That means your early submission dates are mid May or mid June. You will want the medical to be ready before then - so I would suggest an April medical would be OK - but as Mom says it is up to you....
Thanks for your opinion! I will wait till next month. Will probably do it beginning of April.

The DS-260 form is not the only thing KCC sends out to the FO, so if you visit your FO and start by asking them if they've received your DS-260 form, you're already leading whoever you're asking along the wrong part.

What I suggest for anyone making an INFOPASS to do at the time of the appointment is to calmly explain you're a DV selectee, submitted your I-485 package on so so date, did biometric on so so date, you haven't received your IL and are wondering when you're likely to be interviewed. They may answer with the standard response of how long an AOS interview typically takes to get scheduled, bla bla bla. Follow up by letting them know that DV doesn't follow the typical process, yada, yada, yada. Ask about the outcome of the biometric, whether it's been complete or not. At the end then you ask if your "file" has been received from KCC.

Now back to your question, your FO doesn't need to be in possession of your "file" from KCC before scheduling your IL or before the actual interview takes place, but they certainly wouldn't be able to approve the petition without receiving the case file.
Thanks

Mom, I just wanted to follow up on my question a few pages back about changing my address. I am moving out of state in the middle of April (to start a new job) and I understand that it takes USCIS about 30 days for a change of address submitted online to take effect (I'm waiting for my IL, hence the risk that the interview letter might be sent to my old address). However, I'm also concerned about my case being transferred to the field office at my new location. Could a case transfer at this stage result in significant delays? In that situation, would they physically transfer my files to the new field office, which would take time, and then would I have to get back in line for an interview date to open up at the new field office? Also, do I have the option of keeping my case in NY (my current state) even if I move out of state since I'm just waiting for the interview letter?

I'm hoping I get the IL before I move since it's been over 5 months since I submitted my I-485 and I also did my biometrics in October. I've been to 2 INFOPASSES (I was told at the last one that I'm in the queue for an interview date) and I have another one scheduled in 2 weeks, which I will move forward if a slot opens up, so hopefully the IL shows up soon. Thanks!
Just a follow up on the above. To avoid any case transfer and potential delays, I'm considering just maintaining my residence in NY (so I'll be paying rent in 2 places unfortunately) until this process is over. Would that be a better option (assuming it's ok not to notify uscis of a change in address since I have not given up my NY residence)? I just don't want to risk any delays given how far along the process I am and how long I've waited already. Really worried at this point. Thank you.

Just a follow up on the above. To avoid any case transfer and potential delays, I'm considering just maintaining my residence in NY (so I'll be paying rent in 2 places unfortunately) until this process is over. Would that be a better option (assuming it's ok not to notify uscis of a change in address since I have not given up my NY residence)? I just don't want to risk any delays given how far along the process I am and how long I've waited already. Really worried at this point. Thank you.

Like I told you before, initiating a change of address at this stage may not be the best.

Considering the fact that you're actually moving out of your current State to a new one, a COA will likely result in further delay. If at all the new address is updated and connected to your already filed petition, the current FO will no longer have jurisdiction over it, which means it has to be transferred to the applicable FO in your new State. A simple file transfer can take forever to be completed, and when the new FO finally gets the case file, it's not like they will take into consideration the fact that your petition has been in the system for over 5 months and immediately put you ahead, they will only schedule you for the next available slot whenever they're ready to interview you.

The option of maintaining your current slot with the NY FO is certainly there if you don't do a COA (it's not like USCIS will come after you for not updating it) provided you're still able to access your mail from the old address.

Like I told you before, initiating a change of address at this stage may not be the best.

Considering the fact that you're actually moving out of your current State to a new one, a COA will likely result in further delay. If at all the new address is updated and connected to your already filed petition, the current FO will no longer have jurisdiction over it, which means it has to be transferred to the applicable FO in your new State. A simple file transfer can take forever to be completed, and when the new FO finally gets the case file, it's not like they will take into consideration the fact that your petition has been in the system for over 5 months and immediately put you ahead, they will only schedule you for the next available slot whenever they're ready to interview you.

The option of maintaining your current slot with the NY FO is certainly there if you don't do a COA (it's not like USCIS will come after you for not updating it) provided you're still able to access your mail from the old address.
Many thanks, Mom. I'll follow this advice and maintain my current address so I have access to the mail.

I asked if you've sought the help of your congress person, you didn't answer.
oh so you were serious .. no i did not reach out to congress person. But in today's INFOPASS they handed over the interview letter. When she asked why was this delay even for DV cases then they just said it depends upon the individual case and it does not matter if it is DV or something else. I guess they have less knowledge about DV cases in Washington DC field office.

oh so you were serious .. no i did not reach out to congress person. But in today's INFOPASS they handed over the interview letter. When she asked why was this delay even for DV cases then they just said it depends upon the individual case and it does not matter if it is DV or something else. I guess they have less knowledge about DV cases in Washington DC field office.
Congrats on getting the interview! That's good news

Duh! Of course I was!!

Anyway, I'm glad your wife now has the IL, and I hope you plan on attending it with her. Good luck.

Why did you think she wasn't serious?

For anyone else reading this, when all else seems to have failed with USCIS, congresspeople areusually the way to go. No matter that you cannot vote yet! I myself can attest to this method working!

Mom,
I received the EAD and are currently employed. I go for my interview next week and are having some possible issues with the Affidavit of Support. If I present my February paycheck and employment verification letter maybe, would that be okay or is the Affidavit a must?

Hello! Does anyone know if multiple Tourist B1 visa cancellation in my home country can affect AOS through DV2015 ?

If it was cancelled because you're a terrorist or criminal, yes, but presumably in that case you wouldn't have another valid status in the US to adjust from. So you should be fine.

Mom,
I received the EAD and are currently employed. I go for my interview next week and are having some possible issues with the Affidavit of Support. If I present my February paycheck and employment verification letter maybe, would that be okay or is the Affidavit a must?

That may possibly be enough, especially if the stated income is above the poverty guideline applicable to your case. However, do bear in mind the fact that IOs often ask those on student visas to present an Affidavit. Can't quite remember what your current status is, if you're on a student visa, try your best to get the affidavit and have it on hand as a 'just in case' document.

Why did you think she wasn't serious?

For anyone else reading this, when all else seems to have failed with USCIS, congresspeople areusually the way to go. No matter that you cannot vote yet! I myself can attest to this method working!
Oh really. Thanks for the information. I did not know that.

Duh! Of course I was!!

Anyway, I'm glad your wife now has the IL, and I hope you plan on attending it with her. Good luck.
Thanks Mom but i am not planning to go since Field officer in Boise has clearly told me that i do not need to go and my file is with him only. I just need to give him the approval letter of my wife. In INFOPASS they told her that i do not need to come. Hope this won't be an issue. He has given me the letter which says case will be approved once i present the approved letter of my wife to Boise Field office.