• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

I just got texts and e-mails earlier today from USCIS saying that my case has been accepted and routed to the National Benefits Center.
SO relieved :D
Thanks everybody, especially Mom, for your precious help. Could not have done this properly without you!

Ouch!!!! Here's what happened when I tried to back-flip cause I was so relieved for you:

73yLT.gif

Considering that your CN may become current in June/July, it might not be a bad idea to extend OPT by postponing graduation or starting another program right - talk to your DSO at school.
Hi Sm1smom, thank you for your suggestion.
Now, in regards to your suggestion. I have a few concerns:
1. If I decide to apply for OPT, is that should be before applying for AOS?
2. Or can OPT and AOS package be applied at the same time?
3. Does applying for OPT has any impact on AOS application/decision?
4. I found out, latest date I can apply for OPT is July 20, 2015.
Finally, do you think, I should wait until July 10, 2015 - and see how AOS process looks - then decide whether I should apply for OPT?

Hi Sm1smom, thank you for your suggestion.
Now, in regards to your suggestion. I have a few concerns:
1. If I decide to apply for OPT, is that should be before applying for AOS?
2. Or can OPT and AOS package be applied at the same time?
3. Does applying for OPT has any impact on AOS application/decision?
4. I found out, latest date I can apply for OPT is July 20, 2015.
Finally, do you think, I should wait until July 10, 2015 - and see how AOS process looks - then decide whether I should apply for OPT?

1. Best time to apply for OPT should be before sending in an AOS package, actually it should have been before sending in the DS-260 form. However applying for OPT following the DS-260 submission is still acceptable.

2. They can be applied for at the same time, but it's not a good idea. One application is telling the authority you have no immigration intent, while the other is expressly demonstrating that intent.

3. Not directly AFAIK. However you could end up being denied both if the two applications show up in the system at the same time.

4. It probably would be too late to apply for OPT by then if you still plan on processing AOS also - see 1 above.

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to all of you!! May new year 2015 bring happiness, prosperity and success in your life.

I have a couple questions. My wife has selected for further processing through DV lottery 2015. We are from Asia and her number is around 6500. we both are in extended OPT. her card expires on October and mine expires on November. we both work in an university. University may file H1B if we ask but have not talked yet. The case number should be current around June based on the previous trend but looking at this year's post, not many people has got green card yet through AOS. we are worried if our number never become current or did not go through. we may not be able to change our status before the OPT expires. Do you guys have any suggestion? will it be safe to ask university file for H1B before we send our AOS package to Chicago? Can we file H1B when AOS package in process? Thank you for the suggestion! FYI, I have send check for DV fee if that matters.

Jawan,

1. Best time to apply for OPT should be before sending in an AOS package, actually it should have been before sending in the DS-260 form. However applying for OPT following the DS-260 submission is still acceptable.

2. They can be applied for at the same time, but it's not a good idea. One application is telling the authority you have no immigration intent, while the other is expressly demonstrating that intent.

3. Not directly AFAIK. However you could end up being denied both if the two applications show up in the system at the same time.

4. It probably would be too late to apply for OPT by then if you still plan on processing AOS also - see 1 above.
Sm1smom, Happy New Year) and thank God we have this forum, where great people like you provides support for DV inquiries.
Good to know all this. OPT is not an option then - neither for AOS process nor for being able to revert back to F1.
What about extension of I-2o for a different study? or it has impacts as same as doing OPT?

Sm1smom, Happy New Year) and thank God we have this forum, where great people like you provides support for DV inquiries.
Good to know all this. OPT is not an option then - neither for AOS process nor for being able to revert back to F1.
What about extension of I-2o for a different study? or it has impacts as same as doing OPT?

I thought I already answered this?

Considering that your CN may become current in June/July, it might not be a bad idea to extend OPT by postponing graduation or starting another program right away- talk to your DSO at school.

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to all of you!! May new year 2015 bring happiness, prosperity and success in your life.

I have a couple questions. My wife has selected for further processing through DV lottery 2015. We are from Asia and her number is around 6500. we both are in extended OPT. her card expires on October and mine expires on November. we both work in an university. University may file H1B if we ask but have not talked yet. The case number should be current around June based on the previous trend but looking at this year's post, not many people has got green card yet through AOS. we are worried if our number never become current or did not go through. we may not be able to change our status before the OPT expires. Do you guys have any suggestion? will it be safe to ask university file for H1B before we send our AOS package to Chicago? Can we file H1B when AOS package in process? Thank you for the suggestion! FYI, I have send check for DV fee if that matters.

Jawan,

I don't see any reason why you guys wouldn't be able to complete processing if your number were to become current in June or July for that matter.

Anyway, there shouldn't be a problem with filing for H1B after starting the DV based AOS should the need arise. H1B is a dual intent visa.

I've just returned home and found the interview letter in my mailbox. It's dated December 16 and the interview date is January 22. Hopefully that will go smoothly and my application will be approved.

I've just returned home and found the interview letter in my mailbox. It's dated December 16 and the interview date is January 22. Hopefully that will go smoothly and my application will be approved.

Congratulations and good luck!

Hello,
Would I get my EAD/AP card faster if I send my I-765 & I-130 separately to a Service Center (through the e-filing system) after sending the package or should I send everything to the Chicago Lockbox to get the card faster?

Thanks,

Hello,
Would I get my EAD/AP card faster if I send my I-765 & I-130 separately to a Service Center (through the e-filing system) after sending the package or should I send everything to the Chicago Lockbox to get the card faster?

Thanks,

No you wouldn't get the card any faster. The standard processing time for it is 2-3 months.

Regardless of the processing time though, everything should mailed together to the Chicago Lockbox. Not unless you're ready to make an additional processing fee payment for those forms, or you want to wait and receive the NOA receipt for your I-485 in which case you get to attach a copy of it to the EAD/AP card application forms and then e-file - no additional payment is required with this. An unnecessary processing option IMO.

Hi mom and Simon!

I was wondering what I should do if I have not received any notification of action from the Chicago lockbox even though I sent my package a while ago?

Thanks for your help!

Hi mom and Simon!

I was wondering what I should do if I have not received any notification of action from the Chicago lockbox even though I sent my package a while ago?

Thanks for your help!

Precisely when did you send in your package?