• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2014 european winers here

Not as far as I know. If you cannot move for good within the time allowed on your visa (which is normally 6 months but can be less depending on medical expiry), then you should plan on taking a short activation trip within the allowed time - and then go back for good when you are ready (within 12 months after the initial activation).
Yes if there is no way to delay I definitely do the short trip first. Maybe even applying for the re-entry permit if the second entry is between 6 and 12 months from the first entry? Or it is not necessary?

Yes if there is no way to delay I definitely do the short trip first. Maybe even applying for the re-entry permit if the second entry is between 6 and 12 months from the first entry? Or it is not necessary?

You have up to 12 months without needing the re-entry permit. The permit is useful if you think you need longer than the 12 months - but of course you need to make the first trip last a bit longer to start the application process for the re-entry permit. Generally speaking, it is far easier to just get back within the 12 months after first entry....

Yep 6 months, but I kinda thought and think read somewhere that medicals usually valid only 6 months, So it possible that it can be valid longer than that ?

In general, the medical is valid for 1 year. However, medicals from some countries are only valid for 6 months. I don't have a list of the countries that fall within this category.

Also according to 9FAM 42.66, there are certain conditions that reduces the validity of the medical exam from 1 year to 3 or 6 months: Applicants with Type A or Type B TB or Pulmonary medical conditions will have their medical exams valid for 6 or 3 months depending on the method of testing used by the Panel Physician

9 FAM 42.66 N5.1 Forms DS-2053 and DS-2054, Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant (pg 6):

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87891.pdf

Yep 6 months, but I kinda thought and think read somewhere that medicals usually valid only 6 months, So it possible that it can be valid longer than that ?

This is interesting because I specifically asked our CO about medical expiry and he told me to worry about the visa date only. And in fact I have no idea when the medicals expired. What I do know is this: in our country the medicals are supposedly valid for 6 months (which was why I had asked him). We did our medicals in May for a June appointment. We had a delay on visa issuance due to a missing document - so the visa was only issued on 1 July, expiry 31 Dec, which would have been well past a 6-month medical. We entered on 26 Dec with absolutely no problem.

I find it very odd that you would have been issued a visa with an expiry date beyond your medical- the more usual situation as related by others is that the visa expiry date is earlier than 6 months if there is an issue with the medical expiry. However in your specific case you were actually told when to enter by. So my advice to others reading this will remain only worry about your visa expiry date, unless you are explicitly told to enter earlier. I have never before heard anyone report being told they need to enter x period of time before the visa expires so would be interested if anyone else had this happen to them to please report the experience!

In general, the medical is valid for 1 year. However, medicals from some countries are only valid for 6 months. I don't have a list of the countries that fall within this category.

Also according to 9FAM 42.66, there are certain conditions that reduces the validity of the medical exam from 1 year to 3 or 6 months: Applicants with Type A or Type B TB or Pulmonary medical conditions will have their medical exams valid for 6 or 3 months depending on the method of testing used by the Panel Physician

9 FAM 42.66 N5.1 Forms DS-2053 and DS-2054, Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant (pg 6):

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87891.pdf

Originally we are from Lithuania, but we live in the UK now . As I won the lottery being here we went to Knightsbridge Doctors. We are a young family with no health condition whatsoever.We did all the required (missing) vaccination. Doctor said everything is perfectly fine. I don't know then, what could cause that our medical valid only 6 months. Maybe the UK is the country that medical is valid for 6 months only. :)

SusieQQQ, Yes, absolutely correct:
"Medical Exam: As of October 1, 2013 medical examination results for immigrant visa (IV) applicants will be valid for a maximum of six months. Visas will be valid only until the expiration date of the medical examination results (underline included). Therefore, IV applicants should not schedule a medical examination until instructed to do so by the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt, the National Visa Center (NVC) or the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC). If the visa expires before you travel, you will need to obtain (and pay for) a new visa and medical exam."
Source: http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/iv/

The only thing I would caution about the above is that it is very difficult it get a new DV... Do not let it expire!!! Other IVs can get reissued, as per above; unless there is some critical reason causing a delay and a very sympathetic embassy, you will not get a dv replaced!

SusieQQQ, Yes, absolutely correct:
"Medical Exam: As of October 1, 2013 medical examination results for immigrant visa (IV) applicants will be valid for a maximum of six months. Visas will be valid only until the expiration date of the medical examination results (underline included). Therefore, IV applicants should not schedule a medical examination until instructed to do so by the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt, the National Visa Center (NVC) or the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC). If the visa expires before you travel, you will need to obtain (and pay for) a new visa and medical exam."
Source: http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/iv/

Just because the US embassy in Frankfurt states medical is valid for 6 months does not mean it is applicable to all the US embassies. Medical validity is embassy specific. The US embassy in Barbados for instance states:

• How long is a medical exam report valid for?
    Medical examinations conducted in connection with immigrant visa applications have a maximum validity of one year and must be valid when you enter the United States. If an alien has been examined more than six months prior to the issuance of the visa, the consular officer shall limit the visa's validity to a period of less than six months. If the alien cannot arrive in the United States within one year of the date of the medical examination, the alien must repeat the examination.
Source: http://barbados.usembassy.gov/medical-exams.html

Of coursre notwithstanding the validity period of the medical, be it 6 months or 1 year, the visa is normally only valid for 6 months or less.

Just because the US embassy in Frankfurt states medical is valid for 6 months does not mean it is applicable to all the US embassies. Medical validity is embassy specific. The US embassy in Barbados for instance states:

Medical examinations conducted in connection with immigrant visa applications have a maximum validity of one year and must be valid when you enter the United States. If an alien has been examined more than six months prior to the issuance of the visa, the consular officer shall limit the visa's validity to a period of less than six months. If the alien cannot arrive in the United States within one year of the date of the medical examination, the alien must repeat the examination.

Of coursre notwithstanding the validity period of the medical, be it 6 months or 1 year, the visa is normally only valid for 6 months or less.
:) Let's all go to Barbados... (just joking, unfortunately)

Other people have reported brief periods where the status says AP - and then it moves status again. So - be patient (give it a day or two).

Thanks Britsimon, I will wait. :) But what should it say to be sure ?? I am sorry for asking but it is my first time, so don't know much,thanks.

Hey mom - I think that was already clear that different countries have different validity - the reason for posting that extract was to show "officially" that the Frankfurt embassy will adjust the visa expiry date to match the medical. The London embassy really does seem to be the odd one out on that count - at least judging from all the reports here.

This is interesting because I specifically asked our CO about medical expiry and he told me to worry about the visa date only. And in fact I have no idea when the medicals expired. What I do know is this: in our country the medicals are supposedly valid for 6 months (which was why I had asked him). We did our medicals in May for a June appointment. We had a delay on visa issuance due to a missing document - so the visa was only issued on 1 July, expiry 31 Dec, which would have been well past a 6-month medical. We entered on 26 Dec with absolutely no problem.

I find it very odd that you would have been issued a visa with an expiry date beyond your medical- the more usual situation as related by others is that the visa expiry date is earlier than 6 months if there is an issue with the medical expiry. However in your specific case you were actually told when to enter by. So my advice to others reading this will remain only worry about your visa expiry date, unless you are explicitly told to enter earlier. I have never before heard anyone report being told they need to enter x period of time before the visa expires so would be interested if anyone else had this happen to them to please report the experience!

We are from Croatia and when we had an interview CO said to us that we need to enter to US prior to visa expiration date because we have 6 months to enter US from the date we did medical examination. We did medical on february 28th and we will enter in US on august 21th as CO advised us.

We are from Croatia and when we had an interview CO said to us that we need to enter to US prior to visa expiration date because we have 6 months to enter US from the date we did medical examination. We did medical on february 28th and we will enter in US on august 21th as CO advised us.

Just to clarify - are you confirming that your visa expiry is shorter than 6 months to match your medical expiry? Or are you also saying your CO told you to enter on an earlier date than your visa expiry?

Incidentally to be on the safe side I would advise not planning to enter on the very last day of visa expiry. All you need is something to go wrong with one plane, one day's delay, and you've lost your chance... Weather, volcanoes or plain mechanical errors are all possibilities.

Just to clarify - are you confirming that your visa expiry is shorter than 6 months to match your medical expiry? Or are you also saying your CO told you to enter on an earlier date than your visa expiry?

Incidentally to be on the safe side I would advise not planning to enter on the very last day of visa expiry. All you need is something to go wrong with one plane, one day's delay, and you've lost your chance... Weather, volcanoes or plain mechanical errors are all possibilities.

No...our visa expires on september 24th, CO told us to enter before our medical expires (till august 28th), and that is way we are entering US on august 21st, 7 days before our med. exp.

No...our visa expires on september 24th, CO told us to enter before our medical expires (till august 28th), and that is way we are entering US on august 21st, 7 days before our med. exp.

Ok interesting... So this is another case where visa expiry is beyond what applicants are told to do. Strange. But again, you were told.

Ok interesting... So this is another case where visa expiry is beyond what applicants are told to do. Strange. But again, you were told.

In Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia as far as i know is always like that, in some other countries is maybe different if medical is valid for one year but in these countries it's like that and applicants are always advised to enter US prior medical examination exp.

I've read that if medical expires and you enter US with valid immigration visa you will be able to enter US but you will have to do another medical in US, this is not an information that i can tell for the fact it's correct but maybe there is someone who can confirm it or not.

I found an answer for UK medical and Validity Period of the Visa :)

Validity Period of the Visa

The validity period of an immigrant and fiance(e) visa is based on the validity period of the medical examination, the maximum validity of which, is six months.

source: http://london.usembassy.gov/visa_processing.html

Last edited: