Documents needed for Naturalization

The interview letter doesn't request for I-20 etc. specifically but says all documents used in connection to entry into the US. I really hope that the F-1, H1-B visa stamps in the passport will suffice. thanks!

I assume that you are asking all these questions in context to Naturalization application. If so, then INS is asking to bring passport or Re-entry permit, which are travel documents, which you might have used to have entry into the US. The only purpose for INS to ask these documents is to make sure about your trips so that they could determine how long you stayed outside the US AFTER becoming a LPR.

They are not asking to bring a proof to what kind of visa you used to enter into the US, nonetheless prior to obtaining LPR.

Hi all,

An old thread on this forum says the IRS tax transcripts have to be stamped. Is it true? Is it not enough to get the transcripts from IRS? Should we also get them stamped?

thanks!

If you have received a Tax transcript from IRS then there is no need to certify it, however, if you are going to show your tax returns to INS upon asked then it's better to certify all of your tax returns by going to local IRS office. Some INS officers don't care about tax-returns to have been certified, but others do. So if you don't want to take a chance in delaying your N-400 application, better be fully prepared being proactive than not.

How can we produce 5 years Tax transcripts.
IRS is giving only 3 years Tax transcripts?

Though IRS now gives only 3 yrs of tax returns transcript, that doesn't mean you cannot get the transcript on your other years' retruns.

IRS can provide only 3 yrs of returns AT ONE TIME. Meaning once you make a call to them to provide you the transcript of your returns, then IRS can provide you only for 3 yrs. Thereby, you need to call back to them agains once you received the requested transcript and ask them for other years. Meaning, you have to call them twice.

Thanks Johnny, one more question, is it ok if we open the IRS tax transcrips letter? I read somewhere that transcripts are generally sealed in cover? is that right? let me know. My interview is on 25th June, I have got only 3 yrs transcipts so far, I requested for rest of 2 yrs transcripts(seperate request as u said). thanks in advance. Can loca INS office(STAE) cirtify transcripts?
thanks in advance?
sree

IRS says transcripts available for 3 yrs only

Though IRS now gives only 3 yrs of tax returns transcript, that doesn't mean you cannot get the transcript on your other years' retruns.

IRS can provide only 3 yrs of returns AT ONE TIME. Meaning once you make a call to them to provide you the transcript of your returns, then IRS can provide you only for 3 yrs. Thereby, you need to call back to them agains once you received the requested transcript and ask them for other years. Meaning, you have to call them twice.

I called IRS toll free, and requested transcrips for year 2002. ( i got already got transcripts till 2003). 2weeks later i got letter saying transcripts for 2002 not availbale, saying they are availabler for current year and 3 prior years.

what should I do now, I need 2002 to complete 5 yrs.
please help, I have only one month for interview.

I called IRS toll free, and requested transcrips for year 2002. ( i got already got transcripts till 2003). 2weeks later i got letter saying transcripts for 2002 not availbale, saying they are availabler for current year and 3 prior years.

GC mama,
if you filed with one of the tax co.s (HR Block, Tax cut) or online you could request them to provide copies also, they usually keep records for a very long period. If nothing works you could also try to get a letter or statement from the IRS saying that you DO NO OWE any taxes, although, your current taxe returns could serve the same process, and, you could also take that letter to the interview and show them as proof that despite your honest attempt you couldn't get them. IO is basically just interested in seeing that you are current on your taxes and you dont owe anything.

Item# 6 is not correct

When I filed my N-400, my divorce and criminal case (simple assault) was pending. But still I got receipt notice with Exception. Only thing is I need to produce those missing evidences at the time of interview.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T If you want photocopy.Fill out form 4506T and mail it in.There is a charge of 39$ per year and can take upto 60days.If you just want regular transcript it is free and accepted by all gov offices.
Call 1-800-829-1040 Option 2/2/Enter SSN/3/Street address for you current address/1/year eg 2006/ 1 to accept/1 again to confirm/Option 2 for another year/1 to accept/ 1 to confirm.You can ask upto 5 yrs.:)Good luck all

Problem with N-400 application

Hi,
I just got a green card on employment based case. My lawyer asked me to work with the company for at least 6 months. But my employer is really bad and I want to change job as soon as possible. Does anyone hear about problem with N-400 if you change your job too soon? Please let me know.

Hi,
I just got a green card on employment based case. My lawyer asked me to work with the company for at least 6 months. But my employer is really bad and I want to change job as soon as possible. Does anyone hear about problem with N-400 if you change your job too soon? Please let me know.

The issues that you have raised here have actually been discussed and answered thousand of times on this forum. Thus, it would have been a bit thoughtful and considerate on your part to have done some research first before asking any question; otherwise I see no point of having/saving all the discussions on this board/forum.

As for your question, then your attorney is right when s/he has advised you to work for the sponsored company at least for 6 months after obtaining a Green Card. Most attorneys would advise you the same. Why? Because if an alien would leave the job with sponsored employer shortly after obtaining a green card then USCIS automatic assumes an immigration fraud to otbain a green card. Of course, every alien leaves the sponsored employer for a reason no matter how little or big it is. But it doesn't matter to USCIS.

I understand when you say that your employer is so bad but then anyone in his right mind would question that if your employer is so bad then why you have stuck with him until you obtained a green card. I mean why didn't you leave the employer before if he is that bad?? Even if you might have an excuse or justification to make your case, yet still it doesn't cut off with me that all of sudden you find your employer "SO BAD". Obviously, AFTER obtaining a green card!!!!!!! Haven't you managed yourself to stick with this so-called "so bad" employer UNTIL you obtained your green card?? Anyway, it's not my business, but I'm telling you that no officer would buy with your story even if it were to be true.

However, if you say that your employer is abusing you or not keeping the terms of his agreement as per labor Certification then you will need to document those facts. Then leaving the employer wouldn't cause the problem so long you have reasonable justification to leave the employer soon after obtaining a green card.

There are some exceptions wherein you can leave the employer but I cannot go in detail since you have not given enough detail on your employment history. If you leave the sponsored employer before 6 months of obtaining green card then be prepared to be scrutized by USCIS at the time of naturalization. Normally immigration officers don't deny citizenship application even if an alien is seemed to have left the sponsored employer so soon after obtaining a green card but then they would require some kind of reasonable explaination or documentary proofs. The only time they deny a citizenship application and revoke the green card and place the alien on deportation proceeding is when it's clearly shown that alien did intend and did commit immigration fraud by seeking green card thru employment category.

In short, it solely depends on the immigration officer who will interview you because immigration laws give them broad discretionary authority to decide this kind of matters. 98% of immigration officers are nice and they always try to approve most citizenship applications. But some officers are really toughy especially African-American women officers who could make situations really messy. Just you to know that immigration officers get extra bonus to approve citizenship application, which most people don't know, but it depends on each DO though.

Good luck...

When I filed my N-400, my divorce and criminal case (simple assault) was pending. But still I got receipt notice with Exception. Only thing is I need to produce those missing evidences at the time of interview.

USCIS always sends recepit notice to everyone who files a proper application for citizenship with fees. But that doesn't mean application will definately be approved. Plus, whenever an applicant answers YES to any question on the application wherein officer needs to have more details/explaination then the receipt notice always says about exception and bring the missing evidences at the time of interview.

However, if a pending criminal case is not fully disposed by the interview date, the citizenship application will 100% be denied without a doubt.

Just take with you what you have, including your copy of filed taxes. You will be fine, Bigmama...opps...GC mama...lol

USCIS always sends recepit notice to everyone who files a proper application for citizenship with fees. But that doesn't mean application will definately be approved. Plus, whenever an applicant answers YES to any question on the application wherein officer needs to have more details/explaination then the receipt notice always says about exception and bring the missing evidences at the time of interview.

However, if a pending criminal case is not fully disposed by the interview date, the citizenship application will 100% be denied without a doubt.

My criminal matter has been completely disposed without conviction. Also, I have 3 copies of the court certified outcome. What do you think JonnyCash ? My RD was 01/12/2007, but not yet received fingerprinting notice. I called National Service Center yesterday and created a request to mail me the fingerprinting notice from VSC. Please give me your valuable suggestions on this.

Thanks

Traffick voilations

unfortunately I found this forum after the mistake was done... i.e. I already send my application

1. I didnt include the traffic tkt that I have got... bad thing is i dont even remember the dats/details.... most recent one was one parking voilation about 6 month ago... and a speeding tkt.. about 5yrs ago...... i dont remember details of other tkt (at least couple).. and they are in different states... so what do I do about it? should I just take an updated copy of that page... and give it to the interviewer right in the begining ??

2. I filed for my divorce in US... but my ex took it to india and we got divorced in india finally... so i didnt pursue that in US court... it might still be in records... am I supposed to mention that on the application too??? and if so.... what can I do now?

Any feedback is much appreciated..

Documents needed for the time of Naturalization interview

Hello there,
I should say thanks to every one here who are providing their valuable advices.
I have applied for my naturalization on 5 yrs basis and I got interview notice and the interview is on july 13th which is next month. I have gone thro this thread and found a lot of helpful information which I can prepare for my interview. But still I need some more help to find the right place where I can find more information on the below documents.

[7] Court's disposition on any arrest, charge, and citation (including traffic citations): I got 2 trafic tickets in the past 5 yrs. One is for crossing red light which is an year ago and one is for speeding in state routes where I am going 57 mph where it is 55 mph speed limit. Actually I crossed a police car in that speed when he tuned his car to 55 mph. But although for both I paid not more than $200. Do I still need to take any proof of those tickets to my interview. If so where can I contact to get the copies of those tickets or reports. Also I need information on how to get my driving records.

[14] Bring the copy of your I-140, or I-130, or I-360: I dont have these documents. Do I still need to take this to interview. Where can I get the copy of these documents. Which one is applied for me and I got my GC on family based.

Thank you very much

IRS Tax Transcripts.

What type of transcripts should one take to the interview?
On IRS form 4506-T, there are 4 different types of transcripts:
1) Return Transcript.
2) Account Transcript.
3) Record of Account.
4) Form W-2 series Transcript.

1) Which of the above is considered "official", "certified" and acceptable for presentation at the Citizenship interview?
2) I believe some of the above types may require a few to be paid to the IRS. Does anyone know which ones require a fee and how much? (Its not indicated on the form anywhere)
3) Is there any such thing as requesting the IRS to provide an "all clear" certificate or brief letter showing all the years the taxes were filed and that nothing is owed to the IRS? Has anyone tried requesting such a thing? I'm thinking it may be more compact than trying to carry en entire file full of IRS transcripts.

Thanks for your time.

Initially I thought NOT to take any tax transcripts… but, the traffic on this thread made me nervous and made me change my mind.

Now, I do have copies of all my tax forms (both federal and state) for the last 5 years…

Question is can I just take my copies or should I request transcripts? Any thought?

What type of transcripts should one take to the interview?
On IRS form 4506-T, there are 4 different types of transcripts:
1) Return Transcript.
2) Account Transcript.
3) Record of Account.
4) Form W-2 series Transcript.

1) Which of the above is considered "official", "certified" and acceptable for presentation at the Citizenship interview?
2) I believe some of the above types may require a few to be paid to the IRS. Does anyone know which ones require a fee and how much? (Its not indicated on the form anywhere)
3) Is there any such thing as requesting the IRS to provide an "all clear" certificate or brief letter showing all the years the taxes were filed and that nothing is owed to the IRS? Has anyone tried requesting such a thing? I'm thinking it may be more compact than trying to carry en entire file full of IRS transcripts.

Thanks for your time.

When I called IRS for the last 5 years tax return copies, they told me they can give me the last 3 years Tax Return Transcripts and the 2 years (4th and 5th years) Account Transcripts for free. Then I requested them and already got them. All of them are computer printed on their business stationery.

Will this be ok for the interview ?

interview questions?

For those have passed your N-400 interviews, do you remember what questions were asked in addition to the test/exam?

I am most concerned if any of you were asked about the employment history in past years, and past years residency (addresses, time)?

Thank you!

You don't need to include traffic tickets

You DON'T have to document traffic tickets in the N-400 application unless its a serious offense such as reckless driving, DUI, DWI, etc.

Here is what USCIS has to say about this:

"Even if you have committed a minor crime, USCIS may deny your application if you
do not tell the USCIS officer about the incident. Note that unless a traffic incident was
alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and
incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than
$500 and/or points on your driver’s license."

For those of you, who want to verify this, please check page# 8 in the M-476 aka Guide to Naturalization document under question# 7.

unfortunately I found this forum after the mistake was done... i.e. I already send my application

1. I didnt include the traffic tkt that I have got... bad thing is i dont even remember the dats/details.... most recent one was one parking voilation about 6 month ago... and a speeding tkt.. about 5yrs ago...... i dont remember details of other tkt (at least couple).. and they are in different states... so what do I do about it? should I just take an updated copy of that page... and give it to the interviewer right in the begining ??

2. I filed for my divorce in US... but my ex took it to india and we got divorced in india finally... so i didnt pursue that in US court... it might still be in records... am I supposed to mention that on the application too??? and if so.... what can I do now?

Any feedback is much appreciated..