Documents needed for Naturalization

Interview ques

I was pregnant when i applied. My baby was born on 1/19/07. Shud i take her birth certificate to interview?
thnx

Documents at time of interview

Please someone reply -
1. I was pregnant at the time I applied. At that time, the number of children was zero. I have one child now who is born in US. I haven't received the interview letter yet. Shud i send some documents to uscis now - like babies birth certificate etc, or shud i wait for the interview.
2. I didn't mention anything about my traffic tickets on N400 as all of them were below $500. No DUI etc, no arrests. I don't have the receipts now. Please suggest if I shud try to get the records from DMV.
Thanks.

Between Jobs

JohnnyCash, very informative thread. If you still around or others, please advise.

1. Do I need to have a job for applying citizenship? I got my GC through employment though. My wife is working now and I am between jobs. I am at present taking care of kids since her job demands her time in excess of 80hrs/week. So, should I look for a job and apply for citizenship?
2. Regarding Selective Service Letter, I was on F1 and then got my H1 before I turned 26 yrs. Do I need to get a letter from them? I am now 37 yrs old.
3. Also, I will sending my Greencard for `date of birth` correction (noticed that month/date are reversed). What I read on this forum is that Texas Service Center does not mail NOA for I90 corrections. How do I get this proof? I will be applying my N400 at Detroit.
4. I got two speeding tickets in 1995 (12 yrs back) and I do not have copies of citations. Can anyone advise what I should do.

Kindly advise,
Thanks in advance

ajaz said:
Please someone reply -
1. I was pregnant at the time I applied. At that time, the number of children was zero. I have one child now who is born in US. I haven't received the interview letter yet. Shud i send some documents to uscis now - like babies birth certificate etc, or shud i wait for the interview.
2. I didn't mention anything about my traffic tickets on N400 as all of them were below $500. No DUI etc, no arrests. I don't have the receipts now. Please suggest if I shud try to get the records from DMV.
Thanks.

Do NOT send ANYTHING to USCIS while N-400 is processing unless you are advised to do so otherwise. Just take the birth Certificate of your child and the whole information of your baby with you at the time of interivew, and officer would be able to update the information right then and there.

Applicants for N-400 MUST need to update all the information on pending N-400 if there is a change occured after filing the application. Also, an application for Naturalization (N-400) cannot be considered completed unless it is signed in front of the interviewing officer at the time of interview, which means applicants are allowed to make any change/update at the time of the interview. USCIS knows that most of the times situations/circumstances/information change after filing the application.

Besides, interviewing officer anyway will go thru with each and every infomration that is provided on N-400 as it's the part of adjudication. However, you must need to MAKE SURE to let the officer know about the existence of your child because it could be possible that officer might not go thru with this information by his own. It would be better if you could bring a newly filled-up part of that particular information on the application with you at the time of interview so that it would ease up officer's job; otherwise officer would need to manually update the information on the existing/pending application. I'm not saying that you have to bring the whole new application with you; rather only that part of the information on the application wherein you need to update the information about your child.

You don't need to worry anything about traffic tickets because they are totally irrelevant in your case because of being under $500. Straightforward case.

Good luck.

GChopes said:
JohnnyCash, very informative thread. If you still around or others, please advise.

1. Do I need to have a job for applying citizenship? I got my GC through employment though. My wife is working now and I am between jobs. I am at present taking care of kids since her job demands her time in excess of 80hrs/week. So, should I look for a job and apply for citizenship?
2. Regarding Selective Service Letter, I was on F1 and then got my H1 before I turned 26 yrs. Do I need to get a letter from them? I am now 37 yrs old.
3. Also, I will sending my Greencard for `date of birth` correction (noticed that month/date are reversed). What I read on this forum is that Texas Service Center does not mail NOA for I90 corrections. How do I get this proof? I will be applying my N400 at Detroit.
4. I got two speeding tickets in 1995 (12 yrs back) and I do not have copies of citations. Can anyone advise what I should do.

Kindly advise,
Thanks in advance

Applicants for N-400 DO NOT need to have a job in order to get naturalized. You can be a jobless or on welfare, and still could be naturalized. However, if someone doesn't have a visible means of income or a proof of how that person is supporting himself/herself, then it's USCIS automatic presumption that such person might be involved in either shady things or breaking any US law, which will make them to deny the application under the very important clause of 'Bad Moral' Character. In order to be naturalized, every application MUST need to show that s/he a person of good moral character.

A lot of people work under the table and don't pay taxes, which is seen by USCIS that person is breaking IRS law by not paying taxes on earned income. Working off the book is not against the law, but not paying the taxes on ANY income (off the book or on the book) is a violation of IRS law. And violation of any of US laws is a proof of bad character.

Nevertheless, you don't need to worry about all this because you have a wife who is working. Just take an sworn and notarized affidavit from you wife saying that she is the one working as now and taking care of you financially. You might also like to take Income tax returns with you to show to them about her income and your marriage status. There is NO need to worry about this AT ALL. I know at least 300 people who got naturalized without having a job. And most of them, didn't have a spouse to support them; rather they brought an affidavit from someone. Believe, it's a non-issue. Just don't volunteer the information by your own. Tell them only when is asked.

As for the Selective Service issue, then I've explained this issue in detail on the thread. This issue becomes totally mute once the applicant reaches to the age of 37 even if he has deliberately failed to register with Selective Service. Thus, I can bet you that officer won't even dare to ask about it. However, it's better for you to get a Status Letter from Selective Service so that you have a proof to show to them that you were not required to register with Selective Service when you were in the US on Non-immigrant visa before the age of 26. Just for the sake of being proactive. You can send your application now without a Status Letter, and just take the letter at the time of interiview. This way you don't have to wait to get the Status Letter from Selective Service before filing the application.

As for the sending the green card back to USCIS to make a correction on it then you will be given a receipt when you file an application to correct any info in there. I don't know how long it takes now to make a correction on a green card but it used to take a year before. However, your N-400 will be adjudicated within 3-5 months. Thus, you need to bring the receipt notice of filing the application to make the correction on your green card at the time of your N-400 interview.

As for speeding tickets, then if those traffic tickets were under $500 then you don't need to worry about them. But if they do, then you have to do your best to get some kind of proof saying that they were paid. If you cann't get any proof then at least get a letter from DMV saying that they don't have the record of those tickets because of them being issued so long ago. If anything fails, just tell the truth to the officer. Officers know that it's hard to get some records sometimes especially when they deal with applicants in this situation everyday.

Good luck.

Question about passport at interview

I have a question about documents checked at the interview. My current passport is four years old and has all but one trip outside the country I have taken during my five year time before naturalization interview. That means I should take my previous passport too. However, the previous passport was stolen (along with some other of my belongings). Could this be a problem at the interview? I have a police report showing that my passport was stolen.....

Interview in San Francisco

No, you don't have to worry. However, keep proof that you were in status till you got your Green Card.

Though you don't really need it you can you can still apply for getting the selective service letter. It usually takes 2 - 4 weeks.

Gurus,

I have a scheduled interview in San Francisco end of this month and have been asked for the exact same documents as mentioned above. Please help me with the following questions:

i) My wife's intvw letter also has requested a selective service letter(isn't this only for males who arrived between a certain age), does she need to apply for Selective service "Status Letter" also?

ii) Some people have mentioned about taking along SSN? Are original/copy of SSN cards necessary(my wife seems to have misplaced hers)?

iii) My wife and I have seperate intvw times(about 20 mins apart), so do we get intwd seperately?

-------
Timeline:
N-400 appl sent 12/26/06
PD: 01/03/07
NOA:01/24/07
FP: 02/08/07
ITVW(SFO): 03/23/07

Desperately need some answers

Hi to all and thank you in advance for your answers,

I received today a copy of the N-400 application that my lawyer filed on my behalf on 3/2/07 and noticed the following
1-the application were submitted under the grounds of been Permanent resident for five years where I should be submitted under the ground of been married for 3 years. I qualify for both but I preferred the second choice since my green card was approved on those ground.
2- my lawyer answered YES to the question “Since becoming a Lawful Since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, have you ever failed to file a required Federal state or local tax return?” I NEVER failed to file my income taxes since I became Permanent Resident. What should I do
3-She also answered the Selictive Service question incorrectly? What should I do?

Thanks

fire your attorney first. and sue her for damages after you get your citznship :D

seriously, for such matters, its no excuse to mess up.

I received today a copy of the N-400 application that my lawyer filed on my behalf on 3/2/07 and noticed the following
1-the application were submitted under the grounds of been Permanent resident for five years where I should be submitted under the ground of been married for 3 years. I qualify for both but I preferred the second choice since my green card was approved on those ground.
2- my lawyer answered YES to the question “Since becoming a Lawful Since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, have you ever failed to file a required Federal state or local tax return?” I NEVER failed to file my income taxes since I became Permanent Resident. What should I do
3-She also answered the Selictive Service question incorrectly? What should I do?

Thanks

This is pathetic. Make the lawyer fix it asap. Without charging you $300/hour. Btw., I will fill out those forms correctly for anyone for $100/hour - just kidding...

Selective Service Status - Need help ASAP - Due to Interview

I came to the US on F1, changed to OPT and worked in OPT - 21-23.75 years.
Worked in H1 from 23.75 yrs to 26 yrs and 1 week.

26 years and 1 week - got my GC.

I have an interview in about 4 weeks.

I was never out of status.

1) Do I need to get a status letter indicating that I did not need to register?

2) What phone number do I need to call or which address do I need to request. If I send by mail, what information do I need to send and what specifically should I ask selective service.

3) What do I need to take for the interview if I do not have to get the status.

Please answer this ASAP. Would be much obliged since my interview is in less than 4 weeks.

Regards,

Status Letter

Based on the advise I got on this board, I sent in my info to Selective service to for status letter and got it in 3.5 weeks. So I think there is still some chance that you might get yours before your interview date. Go to http://www4.sss.gov/instructions.html and download the form and send in your information. There is also contact number at the website. Good luck.

Sending me a private message won't do any good when it comes to have my opinions. I just don't visit this site anymore as much as I used to a year or so ago. Plus, I think it's better to look for my opinions here than thru private messaging so that other could be benefitted too.

As for your concerns then DON'T WORRY about them AT ALL. Why? Because they are not a problem at all. Many applicants or their attorney make mistakes unknowingly in answering those questions on the application. Interviewing officer will go thru with every single question/answer on the application anyway at the time of interview unless the officer would be in rush. Just tell the officer that your attorney made an error in answering those questions on the application and tell the officer the right answer. Officer would be able to correct them right then and there. But make sure don't give so much info to the officer and don't tell anything about your attorney.

Further, it's my advise that you should carry the proof of all of your 'filed income taxes' since you became LPR to your interview. Also, the proof of registering with selective service if you were required to register with Selective Service and if you did register with them. But if you were not required to register with them then just tell the officer about it upon asked. But if you failed to register with Selective Service for whatever reason then you should read my other postings on this thread to know what to do in this situation. And if you are 37 or over, then don't worry about this issue at all.

The only info USCIS cares about is if someone deliberately lied on the application about their criminal past which is considered a deliberate misrepresentation to the govt, which is a ground to deny N-400 under bad character clause.

Take it easy and good luck.

Thanks

Selective Service Status Address - URGENT - PLEASE HELP!!!

What address should I send to the request for SS status letter.

I sent to :

Selective Service System, ATTN: SIL, PO Box 94638, Palatine, IL 60094-4638

and the USPS tracking system says:

" Your item was forwarded to a different address. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

state ID if you don't have driver's license

Thank you JohnnyCash for the excellent information in this thread. I felt prepared when I walked into my interview because of your list.

One thing I meant to add for NYers or non-drivers/car owners is that it is important that if you do not have state ID from DMV, go get one asap. It is looked at like proof of residency. It was helpful for me because my IO wanted a driver's lic. but said ok to state ID to establish residency claim.

The black pen suggestion was helpful also the extra photo copies of passport, green card, state id. And the tax transcripts were asked for and taken for the file!

Good luck to all.

Birth certificate

Hi,

I don't have a birth certificate. For green card application, I have submitted 1) an affidavit from my parents that stated that I'm their daughter born on a certain date at a certain place 2) a letter from a regional office at the place of my birth, which records births and deaths stating that my birth wasn't recorded.

These were required for green card, as an alternative to birth certificate. Will they suffice for the citizenship interview?

thanks!