December 2011 Filers

even if I travel to my country of origin?? what do I do if my Travel Document gets approved? whats the point of having one? do I shred it?. I dont understand why my lawyer filed the I-131 for me when she knew my I-94 was expired, but then again her assistant was a lil bit scatterbrained. Thanks!

Be patient. One month will not make a difference in your life. If you process gets really slowed down consider traveling but you should be fine and you will be able to travel very soon.

EAD AP And I-131

even if I travel to my country of origin?? what do I do if my Travel Document gets approved? whats the point of having one? do I shred it?. I dont understand why my lawyer filed the I-131 for me when she knew my I-94 was expired, but then again her assistant was a lil bit scatterbrained. Thanks!

@shyguy1
I think you can apply for 3 different types of loosely similar documents using I-131. I applied for Advance Parole (AP) Document using Form I-131. I think it takes about the same time as your EAD to get the Advance Parole, and Advance Parole is the same document as your EAD. So your Employment Authorization card will have a line saying this is also an AP document! So PLEASE DON'T SHRED IT, man! :) I am unable to post links, but visit the USCIS website and search for "EAD and AP Document". Read the article that appears as the first search result (the article is dated 11th Feb 2011). Also visit the FAQ link on that article.

I think all the AP does is tells the immigration official at airport/landport that you have a valid application with USCIS to become a permanent resident in USA, so you may be 'paroled' into the USA. It does not guarantee entry. But then again, neither does a visa to USA guarantee your entry into the country - it's always up to the immigration official at the port. Besides this, when you apply to change status from inside the country, you're not allowed to leave the country. If you leave, your application becomes invalidated. With an AP, USCIS is simply giving you the permission to leave the country without invalidating your ongoing application.

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS WHAT I UNDERSTOOD FROM READING THE USCIS WEBSITE. I'M NOT AN EXPERT AND I COULD BE WRONG. DIFFERENT SET OF RULES MAY BE APPLICABLE TO YOU DEPENDING ON YOUR CASE. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER BEFORE TAKING A MAJOR STEP.

Anybody filed in California/San Jose ?

Anybody filed in California/San Jose ?

Wanted to check how fast its' moving in California specially in Bay Area like San jose.

Do we have any members applying in CA?

It would be great if they report their Timeline and interview experiences!

Thank You ! :D

EAD approved

To my surprise, last night at 11pm I received a text message update on my husbands EAD.

Card/ Document Production

On January 26, 2012, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

And the funny part is that it's been only 32 days that we mailed in his application kit, as I forgot to include along with the I-130 + I-485 applications. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To my surprise, last night at 11pm I received a text message update on my husbands EAD.

Card/ Document Production

On January 26, 2012, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

And the funny part is that it's been only 32 days that we mailed in his application kit, as I forgot to include along with the I-130 + I-485 applications. :)

Wow Congratulation!!!!

I hope and wish to get mine soon.

interview date

I'm super happy today. At 12:15am I received an email saying that my husbands interview is scheduled for March 5. Not even 3 months after we applied. Yay :)

Good for you. Make sure you start collecting all the documents

I will Bigbull99. Since you did your interview in Boston, do you have any tips regarding the interview in the area. Would you mind sharing your interview questions?

thanks,

Tax Returns

Could anybody please let me know how many years of tax returns we need while filing from :

USC?
Immigrant?

Could anybody please let me know how many years of tax returns we need while filing from :

USC?
Immigrant?

As far as I know you have to send the latest year which would be 2010. I sent 2010 and 2009. 2009 was optional. By the time I go to my interview I will probably have my 2011 taxes done so I'll bring that as well just in case.

Senior members and who already done with the process, pls share your thougts on this...

Yes, you will send your application with your three year most recent tax returns if your are working. If not working, your sponsor will provide the tax returns(2008,2009,2010) with the W-2, job letter, 2 last pay stub and proof of citizen or resident. The income must be above USCIS poverty level.

if immigrant is working, and immigrant's income is being used for I-864, Do USC and immigrant both need to provide 3 year tax returns?

Could you please let me know the fee for I-131?

Yes, you will send your application with your three year most recent tax returns if your are working. If not working, your sponsor will provide the tax returns(2008,2009,2010) with the W-2, job letter, 2 last pay stub and proof of citizen or resident. The income must be above USCIS poverty level.

if immigrant is working, and immigrant's income is being used for I-864, Do USC and immigrant both need to provide 3 year tax returns?

Could you please let me know the fee for I-131?

"If immigrant is working" Do you have work authorization? If you had worked in the past with or without authorization, did you file tax? And yes the USC as the petitioner should provide 3 year tax returns if he/she had worked in the past. If never worked, or a student and couldnt meet the poverty guideline, then you need a sponsor. But the petitioner(USC) still need to fill I-864 showing zero income(if never worked) acompany with the sponsor's I-864.

There is no filing fee for i-131(travel document) and i-765(work authorization) if you are filing i-130/i-485 concurrently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Cliff2.

Yes immigrant is worked in the past being on H1, and filed taxes also. USC doesn't meet poverty guidelines, so my understanding is USC and immigrant both need to fill I-864s (with Immigrant showing income above 125% of poverty guidelines, and USC with whatever income has).
Is my understanding is correct?

Also, if immigrant himself is filling up I-864, he needs what? W2 and tax returns for the last 2 years are sufficient?? He needs latest pay stubs also and/or employer letter stating his salary etc?

"If immigrant is working" Do you have work authorization? If you had worked in the past with or without authorization, did you file tax? And yes the USC as the petitioner should provide 3 year tax returns if he/she had worked in the past. If never worked, or a student and couldnt meet the poverty guideline, then you need a sponsor. But the petitioner(USC) still need to fill I-864 showing zero income(if never worked) acompany with the sponsor's I-864.

There is no filing fee for i-131(travel document) and i-765(work authorization) if you are filing i-130/i-485 concurrently.

Thanks Cliff2.

Yes immigrant is worked in the past being on H1, and filed taxes also. USC doesn't meet poverty guidelines, so my understanding is USC and immigrant both need to fill I-864s (with Immigrant showing income above 125% of poverty guidelines, and USC with whatever income has).
Is my understanding is correct?

Also, if immigrant himself is filling up I-864, he needs what? W2 and tax returns for the last 2 years are sufficient?? He needs latest pay stubs also and/or employer letter stating his salary etc?

Yes, since both of you had worked, If your income is over the guideline of a household of two, then you are good. And yes, the USC still need to fill i-864 of whatever income. Am not sure if 2 years returns are sufficient, the instruction said three years. The job letter is a proof of having a job or working, pay stubs/tax returns will indicate your income.