Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

Boston, MA
N400 mailed - 08/05/05 (Friday)
Priority date - 08/08/05 (Monday)
Check cashed - 08/15/05
N400 Receipt - 08/22/05
FP notice date - 09/08/05
FP appointment date - 10/11/05
FP sent to USCIS by FBI - 10/12/05 (Called FBI to check)
Interview letter received - ???
Interview appointment - ???
Oath letter received - ???
Oath appointment - ???

FAQ
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=162664

Info on name check
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=193169

FBI Identification Record Request
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

Update

Boston, MA
Check cashed - 08/15/05
N400 Receipt - 08/22/05
Interview notice date - 10/20/05
Interview notice received - 10/26/05
Interview appointment - 12/07/05
Oath appointment - ???

FAQ
http://www.immigrationportal.com/sh...ad.php?t=162664

Info on name check
http://www.immigrationportal.com/sh...ad.php?t=193169

going early for finger printing?

I just got my notice for finger printing for Nov 22. I was hoping to travel during that time :eek: ! Does anyone have a number that I can call to find out if I can go ahead of time. Will that possibly create a chance to misplace papers? I am 45mins away from the finger printing place, so cant make a personal visit. Does anyone know of the number if I can call to find out (INS Boston, Portland Street). Do they entertain early finger prints? I do not want to re-schedule the dates though!

Thanks for the help.

Boston, MA
N400 mailed - 10/03/05
Priority date - 10/05/05
Check cashed - 10/11/05
FP notice date - 10/20/05
FP appointment date - 11/22/05
Interview notice date - ???
Interview appointment - ???

rs0469 said:
Hello RCT01,

I just had my interview today and I am in the same boat. A-File pending. Please keep my posted with any updates on yours and I will keep you posted as well.
I got my GC from Chicago. I think that is why my A-file is pending.

-rs0469

Same here. I had my interview 2 months ago (Sep 6) and passed without any problems at all. Then the officer tells me the A-file is pending and "Decision cannot be made at this time". I asked how long it would take but she didn't seem sure. Eventually she mumbled "maybe 2 months" and waved me out.

I got my GC from Dallas. Maybe that's indeed the common problem here.

Ok, I read that A-File is the master file (folder?) that INS put together for your case. So when a A-file is "pending", does it mean that they can't find it? I guess it is a better word for "lost"?:)

A-File is the one when you got your green card, they will maintain one file for your A#. In general they will have it..but sometimes if your case is done in some other service center and you moved to a different center and applied for Citizenship, they may not be able to trace it. In those circumstances, they may say that you have to wait until we find the A# file. Don't panic, most of the times they will find it.

I just attended my interview and here are my experiences.

Hi, Just wanted to let you know about my N-400 Timelines.

Post Date: 06/30/2005
Notice Date: 07/12/2005
Finger Print Done: 08/30/2005
Interview Date: 10/26/2005
Oath Date: 01/25/2006

My interview experience was infact very good. I reached at 1:45PM for a 3PM interview. They took letter from me and found my file and put in the order. There are lot of people waiting there at the same there are lot of officers who are clearing the interviews. I have been called at 3:10PM and the iterview process was fairly simple and good. As soon as i have entered into officers room, the following things happened.

(1) Raise your hand and say i will tell the truth nothing but truth. I said yes i do.
(2) Then he asked me to sit down and he opened the file and asked where are working etc. He went through all the file and asked you got GC from NJ with employer name. I said yes.
(3) He then opened my Citizenship application, and started from back asking questions about myself and about my wife and kids, and social security number etc. He asked any time you have been arrested, including the traffic violations. I have honestly said everything and he said that is good.
(4) He asked all the questions that are in the applications form regarding moral character etc, you have to say whatever you have put in the application. I would suggest you to go through your application before you go for interview. Just glance through it so that you can exactly answer the way you have written in application.
(5) After that he printed 1 page of questions containing 10 questions and all these are from those 100 questions on their website. He asked to read in my mouth and only give answers. I did answer all questions correctly.
(6) After that he printed another page(blank paper) and asked me to write a sentence "Today is Sunny Day". I wrote that and he then took that and then certified all of them. He asked me to write my first name and last name on the 10'th page of the application and then on 2 photos that we sent when we applied.
(7) At the end he gave one paper indicating that you have passed the exam and wait outside and your oath letter will be given.
(8) After 15 minutes, the person at the front desk called and gave me a letter which is oath letter.

The process is pretty good and i liked the way they handled the cases there. I hope you all will have the same experience and wish you good luck.

Boston, MA
Check cashed - 08/15/05
N400 Receipt - 08/22/05
Interview notice date - 10/20/05
Online status change - 10/22/05
Interview notice received - 10/26/05
Interview appointment - 12/07/05
Oath appointment - ???
Passport applied - ???
Passport received - ???

FAQ
http://www.immigrationportal.com/sh...ad.php?t=162664

Info on name check
http://www.immigrationportal.com/sh...ad.php?t=193169

Last edited by a moderator:
Tickets

Sreenu-

Did you have any traffic tickets? If so, how many? I had about 7 total tickets, though only 1 in the last 5 years (7 over 14 years). No arrests or probations, etc. I did have to go to court twice..once because my license was suspended cause I forgot to pay a ticket and once because they towed my second car away which was teed up to get picked up by charity. Both were dismissed since I had already paid the ticket by then and charity had already picked up the vehicle.

From your estimation, do you think I would have issues with these?

Thanks
-- Gaude

sreenu pamidi said:
Hi, Just wanted to let you know about my N-400 Timelines.
Post Date: 06/30/2005
Notice Date: 07/12/2005
Finger Print Done: 08/30/2005
Interview Date: 10/26/2005
Oath Date: 01/25/2006

Did you go to the Boston center? 3 months for the oath??? That is a long time!!! Do you now why it is taking so long?

Netuser00, have little patience, it is ok to be 3 months, we are in boston where there are lot of immigrant community. No need to ask why etc, you got the date and be happy with it, don't mess with INS.

Gaude,
I had 2 tickets and i told them what happened to them. You can tell them i had tickets like 5 years ago and all of them got cleared. So they won't press for anything. They just want to know all are resolved. So no need to worry.

One more update from me. My wife attended interview on 28'th of October and they gave December 7'th as Oath date. It is surprizing that i have been interviewed on Oct 26'th and got Jan 25'th, 2006 as oath date and my wife was interviewed 2 days later than mine, but she got Dec 7'th. I think the reason behind is they might have had some cancellations and they will adjust with whoever comes first on a given day. My wife happened to be 3'rd person to be interviewed on 28'th, so she is lucky. Anyway i just wanted to update so that people will be aware of that.

Interview Experience - Boston

Hey Guys-

Thanks again for all the best wishes. The karma really paid off. Today was the big day. I had to first go into court to appeal a speeding ticket (I was going 5 miles over the speeding limit) and then onto the naturalization interview. The speeding ticket appeal was a bust. The court found me responsible and I was a bit depressed. I owe the speeding fee plus whatever the insurance decides to bilk me for the next 3 years. We then headed from there to the JFK building in Boston.

My interview was for 1:30. Wife and I got there at 12:25. Attorney was already there waiting. We put the letter in the box and waited. The way it seems to work in Boston is that the lady in the front desk takes the appt letter and finds the actual A-file that goes with it (though mine had everything from the first time I entered the U.S 16 years ago). The DAOs come out and randomly pick the next file, scan it out and then go back to their offices. They review the file and come out a bit later to and call your name.

I was called in around 1:40. I was nervous as a ninny and my attorney was yak-yaking away. We got to the DAOs office. The officer swore me in and asked me to take a seat. My atty wrote down the DAOs name for his file. Next, he started by asking me for "proof of marriage". My N400 was based on marriage to a USC. I gave him my mortgage documents and a couple of bills. He swiftly photocopied them and then put them in his file. He was pretty laid back, but very thorough.

He started going through the application (I was dying to know the whole time if my security check was completed, but did not bring it up). So, he went through section by section till he got to travel dates. At this point, his phone rang and he had to talk to someone about his own 401K witholdings. I was waiting until he finished. He glanced at my passport (did not really tie dates back, just glanced through), and crossed off that section. Then he went through more or less every question in the N400 until he came to the "Have you been cited" question. I was quite a bit worried since I had about 7 tickets over 16 years (including two court appearances, one for a suspended license due to forgetting to pay a ticket and a second one because the charity guys were late picking up my second car and some friendly neighbor reported it as abandoned). Both of the cases had been dismissed and 5 years old. So, then he said "Did these both get disclosed in the I-485" and I said yes. He said, anything else new to report since then. I said, "Unfortunately yes. I got another speeding ticket for going 25 in a 20 mile zone and was ticketed. I appealed it, but was found responsible this morning. I have till Nov 20 to pay the ticket". He was like, "Boy, you have some issues with driving" and made a copy of the citation. I pointed out that I had only received one ticket in 5 years.

He then went on to the next sections and asked me about selective service registration. He made a note that I was ineligible to apply because I was over 26 when I filed for AOS. Then he said, I have made two changes to your application. One, I have notated that you do not want a name change. Two, I have made a check here saying that you were over 26 when you filed for AOS. Can you sign the bottom of the form. Then, he asked me to sign the two photographs.

Next, we went through the civics (standard 6-7 questions), some simple reading and writing test and I passed those.

Then he said, "Let me see if I can find a supervisor to sign off on this since you had some driving ticket issues". So, he walked out the door. I was asking the atty if they would approve it. Atty seemed unfazed and said seems to be going well so far. The DAO came back and did not say anything. He started printing something and ran out of paper. He went back out, came back with more paper. Then he started filling some form and said, hmm, I need to check that out with the supervisor. He came back and then clicked the magic second box on the white form. Then he smiled and said "I am recommending you for approval". I said, "Thank you sir, that really made my day".

He walked me and the atty outside. I came out and had a cheek to cheek smile and my wife had a wonderful expression on her face and she said "I told you so"...lol.. About 10 minutes later, my name was called and I got the oath letter for Feb 1, 2006 at Fanueil hall at 12:00 p.m. (appears that Boston is filling up quickly) We were out of there by 2:30 headed back home.

So, I guess, I am more or less done. Just got to get the natz cert and file for a p-port. Thanks again to everyone for all the support in this group and my apologies for a long post.

My final timeline

PD - July 15, 2005
FP Notice - Aug 15, 2005
FP Date - Sep 15, 2005
Status changed online - Sep 23, 2005
Interview letter received - Sep 26, 2005
Interview - Nov 3, 2005
Oath date - Feb 1, 2006

Cheers
-- Gaude

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaude88,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm thrilled to hear the good news.

What a relief it must be, after all of the uncertainty.

Hope you find a great way to CELEBRATE!!! :D

Thanks!

Thanks Homeschoolmum. We had a very enjoyable evening. Back to the grindstone today....lol

Cheers
-- Gaude

Gaude,

Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what did you have to disclose in the I-485 form regarding citation? I do not remember filling anything of that sort. Is that only if you had to visit the court, or just when you have citations. I had about 4 to 5 speeding/traffic violation tickets (all paid off on time). I really dont have proof of them all maintained. I will be contacting the MA, RMV to see if they can atleast provide last 5yrs history.

Only if you go to court

The two things I disclosed in the I-485 were the two times I had to go to court because I forgot to pay a ticket and license was suspended. The other time, some neighbor complained that my second vehicle had been abandoned (since I parked it on the street and it was waiting for the charity people to come and collect).

Since I had to go to court, I disclosed those. Also, I think it is wise to take a driving record. This particular officer actually did look at that ( I had included it with the application) for proof that other moving violations had been paid off....He was nice about it and joked, but he did mention that it was required to mention them and that is why they had pulled out the "excluding traffic violations" bit on the new N-400

Thanks
-- Gaude

gaude88 said:
The two things I disclosed in the I-485 were the two times I had to go to court because I forgot to pay a ticket and license was suspended. The other time, some neighbor complained that my second vehicle had been abandoned (since I parked it on the street and it was waiting for the charity people to come and collect).

Since I had to go to court, I disclosed those. Also, I think it is wise to take a driving record. This particular officer actually did look at that ( I had included it with the application) for proof that other moving violations had been paid off....He was nice about it and joked, but he did mention that it was required to mention them and that is why they had pulled out the "excluding traffic violations" bit on the new N-400

Thanks
-- Gaude

Thanks Gaude!

Yes, I did mention the tickets on my N400 application. Did you save proof of tickets and payments for the ones past 5years? I dont have proof, and do not believe that RMV maintains that either. What did you do for the tickets beyond the 5yrs?

Appreciate your feedback and help!