April 2013 Asylum Applicants

my friend applied for o1 visa and got it in 1 month, my another friend did marriage with us citizen and got green card and then citizenship in 1 year. Their cases are processed faster. They always have choice if they don't like to wait they will go to their home countries freely. We don't have choice, we have to stay and for me it would be better to know my case decision in time, at least in certain period of time, let's say 1 year. But tell me that it will be in 1 year and i will wait. It is totally unacceptable giving answer like "wait" this is most frustrating and doesn't give us less stress than we got in our countries where our freedom was threatened. I lived in my country in uncertainty waiting when i would be arrested because of my political opinion and that's why i fled, i don't want to face another uncertainty here. Deny my f*** asylum but tell me in certain period of time. Deport me but made it clear for me, giving answer "wait" is another torture for brain. How long? There is chances to be waiting for 10 years? 10 years living in uncertainty? I didn't come here to take advantage to work in us, i came here because i escaped danger.

i definitely agree with each word of you!!! I am going to open a petition to the president on this matter.

People, calm down a little bit. Be happy that USA embassy gave you visa and let you enter the country. So many people can only dream and hope about it and stay in danger. I agree, it's hard time for us, but at least we are safe. What brain tortured are you talking about? As you are saing, you was in danger! You are safe now, no metter what. You are alive, not in prison, just facing some difficulties, but SAFE. That is why you left your contries, to be safe.
Asylum officers are also humans, not robots. There is so many cases and so little officers, budget is cut and it's not their fault. They really don't know what to answer you, it's depend on every day and every new case situations.
I am waiting for my interview for a year already, yes, I am stressed, I want to know when it will finish, but the most important for me that I am safe now.
Anything happens, happens for a reason. Be thankful to USA that they accept asylum seekers and give them chance to leave safe.

People, calm down a little bit. Be happy that USA embassy gave you visa and let you enter the country. So many people can only dream and hope about it and stay in danger. I agree, it's hard time for us, but at least we are safe. What brain tortured are you talking about? As you are saying, you was in danger! You are safe now, no matter what. You are alive, not in prison, just facing some difficulties, but SAFE. That is why you left your countries, to be safe.
Asylum officers are also humans, not robots. There is so many cases and so little officers, budget is cut and it's not their fault. They really don't know what to answer you, it's depend on every day and every new case situations.
I am waiting for my interview for a year already, yes, I am stressed, I want to know when it will finish, but the most important for me that I am safe now.
Anything happens, happens for a reason. Be thankful to USA that they accept asylum seekers and give them chance to leave safe.

I m agree , after all we are all in USA and for that we have to be thankful but also the asylum officers need to understand we have escaped from our country , we already suffer from many things in our life and at the top of that each one of us who applied for EAD was applied after 150 days and this mean we didnt work for a long time and since we are not getting any kind of support from the government , we need to get job permit faster than the other cases . but if we want to be fair we have to know even other cases have their own priorities and issues therefore I m suggesting to calm down everybody and lets think and think and share our experience as much as we can to support each other and to encourage each other , maybe we can find a solution easier than what we expecting , and last but not least lets pray and not loosing our hope. at this time hope is the only thing we all have in our life and loosing our hope can be dangerous .

The fact is , this situation is almost same for most of us so be hopeful.

I know you guys have lots of issues , I applied for my asylum case on april 2013 , so far I havent got any update about my case , nor for my EAD , also I have an attorney who is not helping me at all but because I paid him in full I dont have choice . I m running out of my saving and dont know what to do but yet I m saying lets be hopeful , lets keep our respect for USA because at least they led us to stay , so far nothing negative happened to us except waiting and with this situation this is kind of normal .

Man lots of countries have visa free regimes. Giving visa isn't privilege. Actually the visa and consulate is another headache and system that sucks. Consulate from my neighboring country was arrested in late 90ths, why because provided visas for money. I see someone in my country convicted felons, now suddenly I see him here, while I know bunch of scientists who had invitations from US research centers and were denied visas. And actually scientist emigrants built this country. Again the problem is irresponsibility of everyone in the system. The fact that great scientist from my country was denied visa will not result in someone to be held accountable, this is problem, no one kicks consulate employee for that because he denied visa for great scientist. Consulate employees will get away and don't even give a shit. Don't correct me I know system very well asylum office is really much better operated than US consulate offices, they get here lots of junkies and deny really decent visa candidates. President of my neighbor country once publicly blamed European and US consulate offices calling that they treat citizens of his country like animals. President wouldn't state such direct insult without having some well founded facts. (And that president is not Hugo Chavez or his associate, President is USA's friend actually)

Criticizing US system will not hurt country and mustn't upset our cases. If it does then we have nothing to do here. This country is free because nevertheless they give me asylum it doesn't obliges me to shut up and talk only things in favor of them. Such attitude ruined many countries and such attitude creates dictatorships. Critics is good, but critics must be heard. I am sure congressmen and officials know how broken system is, sooner or later it will change, but when? May be when something awful happens? Usually in US laws changes when something life threatening happens. For example driving laws become strict when someone dies from car accident. You say that you are good that it takes so long, but imagine that if I had my son in my home country and I cannot take out from there until my asylum case is pending and one "i don't care" type asylum officer makes error or loses case and I have to start all over again and my son is slain in my country and asylum officer doesn't give a s h i t, orders hamburger and fries and gets away with this. My life is ruined. Hopefully my family is here but imagine how many people have family members in conflict zones, in war zones, in constantly dangerous places. So there must be something. We understand that they have huge workload. No problem, we understand that but how is it fare that September applicant gets interview in October and applicant from 2010 still waits for his interview. How they select them? OK first criteria to select is whether person is detainee meaning that arrested asylum seekers must get interviews first. This is correct and understandable but one affirmative asylum seeker gets interview in two weeks and 1 gets in years and without explanation? This is unacceptable. Explain us and we will understand. Give us certain time frame, let it be year, that we know and plan our lives and lives of our family members in our countries.

I know that there are too many fake asylum applicants who just want to work in US and they only come from undemocratic world and apply for asylum. That's why it is better to make time certain, because the fact that case takes so long those fake asylum applicants are taking advantage to find employment here. They only wish their cases were under review for ages, because they know their requests are fake and they prefer cases to be prolonged forever in order not to be deported then they give birth children and after 18 years kids can sponsor them. This is happening and it is unavoidable. Canada made system precise to treat cases in time and that's why last year Canada asylum seekers number dropped. So US must do the same.

Critics must help. Hiding doesn't make our lives better. If you see something say something.

There is so many countries accept asylum seekers, including the mentioned by you Canada. Why did you chose USA with its irresponsibility and problems in the system?
By the way, my family is in danger in my country. Their visas was denied, and you have no idea how much I want to finish with my case and take them from there.
Look, I don't want to argue here. This forum is to help and support each other, give advices. You are right, this system is not the best and many things need to be changed.
My point is: to be thankful that we are safe and let's stay optimistic and hope for better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly I was going to Canada, just my visa was expired and had no time to renew. I have EU and UK visas, but my family members had only US so that was the factor, but from the beginning I didn't know the system failure. I read on USCIS that it takes 21 days to get interview. and process seemed pretty simple.

After 7 months

Yesterday, after 7 months I got my Approval!
Beside I am so happy and I want to share it with all of you, honestly I can't stop thinking of you, I wish we could all get our approvals together. I spent hours and hours during past 7 months reading this forum. refresh the pages over and over to get new updates of cases or hear a good news that can help me tolerate this situation.
I wanna ask all of you not to lose hope! stay positive! and one day it will come. exactly like what happened to me! The day that I opened the mailbox and I saw the interview invitation, I was shocked and staring at the box for a while, feeling like I'm asleep! HANG IN THERE!
I owe this forum a lot and I'll do my best to get as much as information I can and I'll share it with you.

This is a summary of my file:

Asylum Application Receipt: April 2013
Represented by a lawyer: yes
Finger print done: April 2013
Asylum office: Anaheim CA
Interview scheduled: Oct 2013
Approval: Oct 31st 2013

I'm sure in near future we are all in other threads asking questions about how to apply for green card, how to apply for citizenship and ...
Wish you all the best!

Beside I am so happy and I want to share it with all of you, honestly I can't stop thinking of you, I wish we could all get our approvals together. I spent hours and hours during past 7 months reading this forum. refresh the pages over and over to get new updates of cases or hear a good news that can help me tolerate this situation.
I wanna ask all of you not to lose hope! stay positive! and one day it will come. exactly like what happened to me! The day that I opened the mailbox and I saw the interview invitation, I was shocked and staring at the box for a while, feeling like I'm asleep! HANG IN THERE!
I owe this forum a lot and I'll do my best to get as much as information I can and I'll share it with you.

I'm sure in near future we are all in other threads asking questions about how to apply for green card, how to apply for citizenship and ...
Wish you all the best!

Congratulations !
It is always GREAT to hear someone get their Wish Come True :)

@april2013, I am so happy for you.
I am seeing a lot of people getting through now one by one and now you are added onto the list.
Best of luck for your future.
!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Wish you all the best!

Congrats! Now you can start over your life without fear. Take care of yourself. :)

Wish you all the best!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Wish you all the best in your new and safe life:)) Hope all of us will accept our congratulations in the nearest future, and really you gave us a hope, that sometime it will happen to us as well. One more time congrats and I am really happy for you:))

Wish you all the best!

Congratulations this is a great news , keep us updated and please dont leave us alone here.

Wish you all the best!

Woooow!!!! I am sooooo happy for you! I can not believe you are done with this! How many questions we discussed! Really happy for you! Enjoi your free life!!!!!

Congratulations

Wish you all the best!

Congratulations!!!

Wish you all the best!

yeah !!! gooooood news for me, congrats my friend
i'm really happy for you

yooohoooo :)

Congratulations

Today I found out that my interview is on Nov 11th. I was lucky that I went to asylum office because my interview notice apparently went missing probably in mail post company.

These days will be busy printing new evidences as many new things happened in my country in favor of me. My colleagues with whom I have photos were arrested and USA and EU called that it was political persecution, So I will submit my new evidences. It must definitely help

Can I ask you about your interview experience. What was main questions about? How was officer dealing to you?

so when you when to the asylum office today,
did they give you another copy of interview appointment letter or
they just tell you orally about it ?

I mean it is better to have a copy of that letter right?

They gave me just my inquiry page back, there was hand written that my interview was scheduled on 11th at 8 AM. The guy told me if you don't get notice in mail bring this paper. I told them nor I neither lawyer received notice. So if I receive before interview I will bring notice, but if I don't receive I bring this paper. It sounds wierd but I was not believing my ears when I heard my interview date was set.