April 2013 Asylum Applicants

When exactly does one receive the EAD

There is a very serious backlog in most USCIS service centers most EAD processes takes approximately 30-90 days from the day you submitted your application, if your case is is pending more than 180 days it may take only 1 month for the card to be issued[/Q

Hi everyone.
I called the Rosedale NY Asylum office and told the immigration analyst that it has been more than 150 days since i applied for Asylum and she shocked me by saying that it is quite unusual for them not to have mailed me the decision by now.She said that there is a backlog in Pending interview cases but not for those who have had their interviews. I am confused because it has been 174 days since i applied for asylum and 20 days since i applied for my EAD. She told me to come to the office to talk to the AO. What should i do? i am confused because i think it is better to wait for the complete 180 days before going to their office because after 180days they will have to issue an EAD but if i go now and am denied Asylum my clock might stop when it is not yet 180 days. What should i do guys? and when can i expect my EAD?
Thanks.
24 April 2013 :Asylum application sent
30 April 2013 : Received acknowledgement of receipt for asylum
08 May 2013: Fingerprint notice received
14 May 2013: I went to do my fingerprint
21 May 2013: Interview notice recieved
03 June 2013 : Interview done at Rosedale office Queens NY office
30 September 2013: EAD applied after 154 days
07 October 2013 : Received acknowledgement of receipt of EAD application
Today!!!! Still waiting for EAD/ Asylum decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
In God's Hands: I also applied to Rosedale. AO told me come pick up your decision in 2 weeks, then when I did, they said : sorry you came all this way, we have nothing to tell you. We don't know when we can tell you something.

In God's Hands: I also applied to Rosedale. AO told me come pick up your decision in 2 weeks, then when I did, they said : sorry you came all this way, we have nothing to tell you. We don't know when we can tell you something.

Hi Ms.A.
Just Pray that you should not wait as long as i have waited without a decision. My friend told me that " No decision is better than a bad decision". I don't know why they take this much time. Do you know other people who received decisions from Rosedale and their wait time?

IGH, I don't know anyone else. You already had your interview? When? Are you in status? Many people say that people in status wait after the interview.

Hi everyone.
I called the Rosedale NY Asylum office and told the immigration analyst that it has been more than 150 days since i applied for Asylum and she shocked me by saying that it is quite unusual for them not to have mailed me the decision by now.She said that there is a backlog in Pending interview cases but not for those who have had their interviews. I am confused because it has been 174 days since i applied for asylum and 20 days since i applied for my EAD. She told me to come to the office to talk to the AO. What should i do? i am confused because i think it is better to wait for the complete 180 days before going to their office because after 180days they will have to issue an EAD but if i go now and am denied Asylum my clock might stop when it is not yet 180 days. What should i do guys? and when can i expect my EAD?
Thanks.
07 September 2013 : Received acknowledgement of receipt of EAD application

Ok, first of all, are you currently in status or out of status?
if you are out of status, and if they deny you, you will be referred to immigration court,
and your clock will NOT be stop and you can apply for EAD and work while waiting for the court to process your case.

if you are in status and if they deny you, you will NOT be referred to immigration court and your case will be closed,
and your clock will be stop and you will not get EAD.

but judging from the way you prefer to get EAD, my guess is you are OUT of status and want to look for a job,

Now if you are still in status,
even if you wait until over 180 days, before you came to the asylum office,
and then the asylum office decide to reject your case, they will cancel your EAD.
If the EAD already mailed to you, that EAD will not be valid and you will broke the law if you work with that invalid EAD.
When you apply for Social Security, the social security officer can easily see if your EAD is still valid or had been revoked.
last, EAD usually only last for 1 year.

Now, whether you came to the office or not, if you have not received the decision,
than most likely mean your case is still in review
by either the asylum officer who interview you or his/her supervisor or reviewed by the higher office.

but of course if you are curious, you can always go to the office and ask for information there.
most likely they will either tell you that your case still in process and they can't give you any info beside that,
or they will either tell you that your case had reach decision and you just had to wait for the decision to came by mail (and they can't tell you what is the decision),
or they can tell you right away the result of your case (if the result of your case had been decided by that time).

but this is normal... it might be normal or comforting to you but
this is normal for USCIS office.

another thing I notice is, I think you put the wrong date regarding the date you received your EAD receipt.
you wrote 7 Sept 2013, but I think based on other date you wrote here, that date should had been 7 October 2013 right ?

now, EAD usually took 45 days to 60days maximum if everything is ok,
and that mean you will not be able to get approved
for your EAD until at least End of November or middle of December 2013 anyway.

in summary, just to make you feel better,
I suggest you just go to the asylum office and ask about your interview result.
cause if you are in status, you will not be able to get EAD anyway
and if you are out of status you still be able to get EAD even if they refer you to immigration court.
so your fate on whether you will be able to work or not had been decided based on your in status or out of status.
waiting for your clock to reach 180 days will not change that.

Good Luck to You :)

Reactions: CWH
I was on F1 status and ran out of status because i couldn't afford the high tuition so i am presently out of status.

I was on F1 status and ran out of status because i couldn't afford the high tuition so i am presently out of status.
07 September 2013 : Received acknowledgement of receipt of EAD application

I also think you typed wrong the date you received the EAD !
But it is reassuring to know that once you apply for EAD you get it in time.
I'm so scared and depressed. Sometimes I think I should just give up and swallow a bottle of pills.

Hi Ms.A.
Just Pray that you should not wait as long as i have waited without a decision. My friend told me that " No decision is better than a bad decision". I don't know why they take this much time. Do you know other people who received decisions from Rosedale and their wait time?

IGH, I don't know anyone else. You already had your interview? When? Are you in status? Many people say that people in status wait after the interview.

I understand that both of you were new to this forum.
if you guys both have time,
please read many thread on this forum and you will see that,
1. it is not unusual for people to wait more than 6 months even more than 1 year before they know the result of their interview,
why this happening,
it could be lot of factor, sometimes, there is just too much back log of case after interview,
sometimes, your file got slipped somewhere, under stack of other files,
sometimes, the supervisor disagree with the asylum office and refer your case to the higher office for further judgement,
sometimes the higher office collect random case from asylum office and decide to review the case to see the quality of
the asylum officer/supervisor,
and many other factor

2. usually people who are in status do not get priority in both interview appointment date or getting result after interview,
but lately people who are out of status also do not get priority in both interview appointment or getting result after interview.
and there are MANY anomaly too,
like you Ms.A, you are in status right?
but you got interviewed VERY QUICKLY,... while many people here that is out of status, do not get any interview even after 6 months or more...
so why that happened ?
that mean in this day of huge backlog, the usual rule of in status getting delay and out of status getting priority no longer valid.

again there is nothing special about getting early interview or late interview,
and there is nothing special about getting early result or late result after interview.
USCIS do NOT discriminate or want to hurt you, it is just they are so overwhelm by pending back log of case (after and before interview) and this create chaos.

One thing all of us can do is call our asylum office every 3 weeks or 1 months,
ask them the status of our asylum application be it waiting for interview or waiting for result after interview.
That is the only thing you can do.

Although we (including me) sometimes thinks, "What Have I Done to Deserve This Delay",
but then again, if we had read all the story posted on this forum
we will realize that many people are in the same boat like us.
some of us do got lucky and had fast positive result,
some of us do got unlucky and get fast but bad result,
some of us do got very unlucky and get Slow and Bad result,
some of us is just average that is we get it Slow but Good result.

still, Ms. A, you keep saying that you are not lucky because you get fast interview but not fast result,
now if you were in other position where they had been waiting for interview more than 6 months
and they still had not had their interview yet, (people like me)
I think you will prefer to get interviewed early,
at least you had pass that stage.

so Ms. A, please don't say that you are NOT lucky,
because if you are NOT lucky,
how about other people (like me) who don't even get interviewed appointment yet after more than 180 days ?
and remember you are still in status, and people who are in status usually don't get interviewed quickly,
so based on that, you are lucky.

if I got fast interview like you, I will be grateful and think that I am already lucky,
even though I then had to wait longer for the result of the interview,
but of course that is just me :)

Well, it is good for you then, because that mean you can go now to the asylum office and not to worry about not getting EAD despite of the interview result. At least you will get some kind of answer from the asylum office,
even if that answer is "no answer" at all, the way I look at it, (like you had said before), no answer is better than bad answer :)

I also think you typed wrong the date you received the EAD !
But it is reassuring to know that once you apply for EAD you get it in time.
I'm so scared and depressed. Sometimes I think I should just give up and swallow a bottle of pills.

Ms. A,
I just wrote a long post above this post,
I want to remind you again that you are already lucky enough to get early interview.
most people (whether they are in or out of status) is NOT as lucky as you.
Getting scared and depressed will NOT help you win the case.
Giving up and taking pills ?
you had gone this far and now you are going to give up
just because some things did not went as smoothly as you wish?

well you might just as well return to your country now because at least if you were back in your country
and get killed there, you will still be fighting for your life before they kill you and not just giving up !

again Ms. A, you are NOT alone,
your situation is NOT unique nor Special,
USCIS is not doing this "thing" just to you,
many people had even worse situation than you, (just read the previous posts by others)...
take me for example, I had not get any interview date yet even after more than 180 days...
I wish I can be as lucky as you.

don't think that you are the only one that suffer, many people had worse situation than you.

I know the way I post this, you might feel I am not supportive,
but actually I want you to snap out of feeling down, and depress,
I want you to feel challenge and feel better knowing that many had worse situation than you :)

you don't need other to support you,
you need to support your self and be optimistic,
this way, you can solve any problem that might came your way, the right way ! :)

ps: don't forget to spend your free time reading other people experience in previous post,
you will learn much more by reading it :)

MWDW, so you mean it will not hurt if i go to the Asylum office to find out about my case?

Exactly !
Just go the asylum office now,
I think most likely you will get "No Answer" but at least you try and hopefully get their attention.
don't need to wait for 180 days,
since you were out of status,
you will get your EAD even if you got rejected and referred to immigration court

and if you are very lucky and your asylum got approved,
your EAD will came as UNRESTRICTED EAD and it will not have 1 year expiration date
like pending asylum EAD.
beside as I had said, you won't get your EAD approved until 45 to 60 days after October 7'2013 anyway.
(again I notice that October 7 is Monday,
so this again prove my theory that USCIS announce everything related to EAD on Monday only/once a week)

ok, go now to the asylum office,
and please don't forget to share your experience here in this forum once you return from the asylum office :)

hey,
I have been following this forum since a long time. i am in the same situation as u all waitintg for an interview since almost 6 mnths. Can anyone let me know if I can make the inquiry about my asylum applicaiton by phone??? i mailed them a inquiry letter mnths back but got no reply.

hey,
I have been following this forum since a long time. i am in the same situation as u all waitintg for an interview since almost 6 mnths. Can anyone let me know if I can make the inquiry about my asylum applicaiton by phone??? i mailed them a inquiry letter mnths back but got no reply.

Yes,
just call the asylum office that will handle your interview.
if you get automated answering machine/menu,
just press "0" so you will be connected to the operator directly.

Then usually the operator will ask for your case number
(and verify your identity by asking name, date of birth, address),
then she/he can give you answer right away whether
your interview date had been scheduled or not.
if she/he do not have your interview date yet (pending) than she/he can not give you any reason why,
most likely she/he will inform you that you can apply for EAD after 150 days and eligible for EAD approval after 180 days.

If you don't get the interview date yet, don't give up, don't worry,
all you have to do is keep calling the office every 3 weeks or 1 months just to make sure you don't miss any interview date
just in case they did sent you an interview appointment letter but somehow the postman fail to deliver that mail to you.

Good Luck

thanks for the response.
i tried calling the asylum office but could not reach any representative, and the automated msg said that any information regarding the status of asylum case cannot be given by phone and has to made by a written mail. all the representatives were busy so the call directly went to this msg.
What shall I do?

thanks for the response.
i tried calling the asylum office but could not reach any representative, and the automated msg said that any information regarding the status of asylum case cannot be given by phone and has to made by a written mail. all the representatives were busy so the call directly went to this msg.
What shall I do?

Hi april13'
Which asylum office did you do your application?

Waz!

Well, it is good for you then, because that mean you can go now to the asylum office and not to worry about not getting EAD despite of the interview result. At least you will get some kind of answer from the asylum office,
even if that answer is "no answer" at all, the way I look at it, (like you had said before), no answer is better than bad answer :)

Ms. A,
I just wrote a long post above this post,
I want to remind you again that you are already lucky enough to get early interview.
most people (whether they are in or out of status) is NOT as lucky as you.
Getting scared and depressed will NOT help you win the case.
Giving up and taking pills ?
you had gone this far and now you are going to give up
just because some things did not went as smoothly as you wish?

well you might just as well return to your country now because at least if you were back in your country
and get killed there, you will still be fighting for your life before they kill you and not just giving up !

again Ms. A, you are NOT alone,
your situation is NOT unique nor Special,
USCIS is not doing this "thing" just to you,
many people had even worse situation than you, (just read the previous posts by others)...
take me for example, I had not get any interview date yet even after more than 180 days...
I wish I can be as lucky as you.

don't think that you are the only one that suffer, many people had worse situation than you.

I know the way I post this, you might feel I am not supportive,
but actually I want you to snap out of feeling down, and depress,
I want you to feel challenge and feel better knowing that many had worse situation than you :)

you don't need other to support you,
you need to support your self and be optimistic,
this way, you can solve any problem that might came your way, the right way ! :)

ps: don't forget to spend your free time reading other people experience in previous post,
you will learn much more by reading it :)

I think new people need to read older post to get acquainted to the process and experiences and that is what this forum is all about not self centered posts etc lets be optimistic ,Thank you for posting this

PS These are not legal advises or professional advises they are what other peoples journeys,Unique cases and what they experienced with the process.
[/LIST]

Hi DoubleAA , please don't be offended when people write what they feel and call them selfish. You should be well aware that our situation demand that we keep united in our "posts" and in our prayers. Remember "NO NEWS IS BETTER THAN BAD NEWS". On my part i want to find out how the 150 + 30 days = 180 days are counted. Is it from the time USCIS received your Asylum application or you have to start counting 30 days from the time they received your EAD application?????

Hi DoubleAA , please don't be offended when people write what they feel and call them selfish. You should be well aware that our situation demand that we keep united in our "posts" and in our prayers. Remember "NO NEWS IS BETTER THAN BAD NEWS". On my part i want to find out how the 150 + 30 days = 180 days are counted. Is it from the time USCIS received your Asylum application or you have to start counting 30 days from the time they received your EAD application?????

I am sorry, but I absolutely agree with Double AA. I can see that so many people are just lazy to read another topics, so they created new ones with the same questions was discussed before. Please, guys, just spend some time and read. Believe me I also had so many questions, but I found all the answers just by reading previous posts. Do some researches, what is the sens to all of us to repeat the same, it's like a circle ??? Please don't take it personally, I understand that all of us are stressed and having not the best time, but let's save our time and ask the questions was not answered before.

Guys i agree we need to read the older posts first and this is not only save your time but also very informative however I see there are same questions but asked in different time , for example you may have a question regarding EAD which was asked in the older posts sometime in 2011 but there is no doubt things just have been changed since that time (e.g. government shutdown) so if some one is asking a same question please share your latest experience even though it was answered before , actually that is why we use the forum otherwise we can just read some articles published before regarding our case.

on the top of that , please guys lets keep our self as calm as we can , we are all in the same situation , we are all having hard times so lets try to help each other .

God bless you all