• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Any Malaysian winners already residing in the USA?

chadldn

Hey,

I was wondering, based on your experience,

1. Does the SPM qualification meet the minimum education requirement?
2. Did you guys use a professional translator to translate the relevant documents? Or would anyone competent suffice?

Thanks

Hey,

2. Did you guys use a professional translator to translate the relevant documents? Or would anyone competent suffice?

Thanks

Does the SPM enable you to go to college?

You don't need a professional translator, just someone who fits the requirements and is not related to you.

Thanks for responding.

Yea, SPM would enable one to go to college for foundation courses such as A levels. I guess that meets the minimum requirement then?

Thanks for responding.

Yea, SPM would enable one to go to college for foundation courses such as A levels. I guess that meets the minimum requirement then?

I should have been more specific, it should allow you entry onto a degree program. If you need those foundation courses before you can start a degree, which is what it sounds like, then it probably will not be considered equivalent.
I don't recall seeing many Malaysians here in this forum in the past, if none respond I suggest you contact the embassy to clarify how it stacks up against the education requirement.

I just looked this up. From what this says it will almost certainly not meet the requirements. It's equivalent to 11 years in the US system, not 12. And in the U.K. and other similar education systems you need A levels not just O/GCSE to meet the requirements. But, again, check with the embassy to be sure about Malaysia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sijil_Pelajaran_Malaysia

Would you be able to meet the work experience requirement?

Thanks for responding.

You would need a STPM /Advanced Level Exams diploma to get an admission into a US university. So seems like what you currently have is not equivalent to a US high school diploma.

Oh dear, I saw from some website it says SPM.

Well I have been a broker for about nearly 2.5 years now, but would the 2 years experience be counted from the interview date or the initial application date?

Oh dear, I saw from some website it says SPM.

Well I have been a broker for about nearly 2.5 years now, but would the 2 years experience be counted from the interview date or the initial application date?

Stockbroker? Insurance broker? Real estate broker? Some other type of broker?

spread betting broker, quite uncommon. but i also do accounting for the company. Does it matter which kind of broker?

Would a letter of employment confirmation suffice? Or should i print the electronic payslips too?

spread betting broker, quite uncommon. but i also do accounting for the company. Does it matter which kind of broker?

Would a letter of employment confirmation suffice? Or should i print the electronic payslips too?

Yes it matters. It has to be a job that is classified in job zone 4 or 5 with a SVP (Specific Vocational Preparation) rating of 7.0 or higher. So search O*net online to see if your job experience meets the needed requirements:

https://www.onetonline.org/find/quick?s=Broker

Of course it matters. If you want to prove you meet the work experience requirement you need to find a comparable job listed at the correct level on onet, then provide detailed information as to why the job you are doing has been at that level for at least two years. You'll need the letter of confirmation and payslip to back you up but would probably need more to show that you meet the requirements. As stated clearly on the instructions and the "if you are selected" website that your letter links to, it's not just any two years of any kind of work. It has to be job zone 4 or 5 with SVP of at least 7.

You would need a STPM /Advanced Level Exams diploma to get an admission into a US university. So seems like what you currently have is not equivalent to a US high school diploma.

Hi,

I am a selectee for DV2018 from Malaysia.
Does it mean that by showing STPM/ A level is sufficient? Or I should bring along my Degree? As well as all those school leaving certificates which include Primary and Secondary schools?

Hi,

Does it mean that by showing STPM/ A level is sufficient? Or I should bring along my Degree? As well as all those school leaving certificates which include Primary and Secondary schools?

Your high school is sufficient to meet the DV requirements, and you should bring your secondary school certificate to the interview, but you should always bring copies of any higher education qualifications as well if you have them. You don't need your primary school leaving certificate.

Hi,

What she (Susie) said above ^^

Hi,

Congratulations!

From Malaysia too, not a selectee...

Hey,

Thanks

Hi chadldn,

The minimum education requirement is completion of a 12-year course equivalent. SPM is 6 yrs primary + 5 yrs secondary. So I think STPM/Diploma would be the best. I had a diploma.
As for employment, I brought letter of employment, latest promotion letter, business card and latest payslip.

Congratulations, and all the best.

Hi chadldn,

The minimum education requirement is completion of a 12-year course equivalent. SPM is 6 yrs primary + 5 yrs secondary. So I think STPM/Diploma would be the best. I had a diploma.
As for employment, I brought letter of employment, latest promotion letter, business card and latest payslip.

have you done your Consular interview?

Hi chadldn,

Hello Rathnaa, thanks!

So just to clarify, you used your diploma and not your employment? I'll just bring everything just in case