• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Any Malaysian winners already residing in the USA?

no I have not, it is this week i'm both excited and panicked

provided you have re-read all the requirements and bring all supporting documents, you will be alright. Is it in KL?

In my case, i had no assistance from anyone back then (and had not found this forum) - and i made through just fine (albeit i am having some difficulties now - but that is a separate issue - haha).

And i did not provide them with my Certificate of Good conduct when i went to the interview and had to submit it later on (via Aramex, did not have to go to the consular ever again after that).

HI, I'm a DV 2017 winner residing in the US now. I submitted both my SPM diploma and A Levels. Also sent in my employment letter with my petition (just in case).

HI, I'm a DV 2017 winner residing in the US now. I submitted both my SPM diploma and A Levels. Also sent in my employment letter with my petition (just in case).

So you're doing AOS? (just curious of why someone with A levels ended up in the USA )

So you're doing AOS? (just curious of why someone with A levels ended up in the USA )

Yes I did AOS. Did my biometrics in late April, I'm now waiting for the interview date.

Wasn't planning to study abroad in the US, but a couple factors influenced my decision after I finished my A levels program in M'sia. 11 years later, I'm still here!

What a strange thing to say.

more often than not, for Malaysians, A levels are for aspiring students that would want to go to countries like UK, Ireland, USA excluded. For USA, the pathway from Malaysia would be taking SATs and applying for a place in any of the US universities.

And usually after graduation, the students would remain or seeking to stay at the country they studied at. So in @Masooi 's case, i assumed he was planning to study somewhere else, not the USA (but yeah, it was just an assumption)

Yes I did AOS. Did my biometrics in late April, I'm now waiting for the interview date.

Wasn't planning to study abroad in the US, but a couple factors influenced my decision after I finished my A levels program in M'sia. 11 years later, I'm still here!

Nice. All the best to you :)

more often than not, for Malaysians, A levels are for aspiring students that would want to go to countries like UK, Ireland, USA excluded. For USA, the pathway from Malaysia would be taking SATs and applying for a place in any of the US universities.

And usually after graduation, the students would remain or seeking to stay at the country they studied at. So in @Masooi 's case, i assumed he was planning to study somewhere else, not the USA (but yeah, it was just an assumption)

You're looking at it from a purely Malaysian perspective.
I'm looking at it from an American perspective, where the country is full of immigrants, and I personally know a bunch of people here who went through U.K.-style O and A level schooling systems. Of course that means I know many people who (1) may have come here straight after school, and stayed (2) may have gone to undergrad somewhere else with their A levels and come here for postgraduate study, and stayed (3) may have started working elsewhere and moved here later. It's a big wide world and the exams system you do in high school does not predetermine the rest of your life!

Hi guys,

I am finalizing my DS-260 form. Everything seems good. Just that, I need confirmation from all of you, if I am getting it right on the Given Names.
Can't afford to make the slightest mistake for the chance to get GC.

So as Chinese here we have our name structure as <Surname> <Name> or <Christian name> <Surname> <Name>.
in my case, my name is <Surname> <Name>

Based on the sample below, do I get it right?
As our passport here in Malaysia only specifies Name which is <Surname> <Name>. Therefore I filled up the "Full Name in Native Alphabet" field.

Given Name.png

Hi guys,

I am finalizing my DS-260 form. Everything seems good. Just that, I need confirmation from all of you, if I am getting it right on the Given Names.
Can't afford to make the slightest mistake for the chance to get GC.

So as Chinese here we have our name structure as <Surname> <Name> or <Christian name> <Surname> <Name>.
in my case, my name is <Surname> <Name>

Based on the sample below, do I get it right?
As our passport here in Malaysia only specifies Name which is <Surname> <Name>. Therefore I filled up the "Full Name in Native Alphabet" field.

View attachment 737

Are you going to write in Mandarin?

Are you going to write in Mandarin?

Nope. Don't think I am going to put in my Mandarin name as I don't have any formal documentation to establish my Mandarin name except my primary and secondary school report cards and exercise books. Lol.

I think I will put in my full name (Axxx Bxxx Cxxx) as per Malaysian passport, since our passport does not separate surname and given name. So at least they can do my background check as "Axxx Bxxx Cxxx" instead of "Bxxx Cxxx Axxx".

Hope I am right.

Nope. Don't think I am going to put in my Mandarin name as I don't have any formal documentation to establish my Mandarin name except my primary and secondary school report cards and exercise books. Lol.

I think I will put in my full name (Axxx Bxxx Cxxx) as per Malaysian passport, since our passport does not separate surname and given name. So at least they can do my background check as "Axxx Bxxx Cxxx" instead of "Bxxx Cxxx Axxx".

Hope I am right.

Doesn't the section say full name in "Native Alphabet"? Is (Axxx Bxxx Cxxx) in your native alphabet? They already know to go about with the background check.

Hope I am right.

Yea, I put my full name as how it is shown in the passport. And I also wrote it in English alphabets as how it is shown on the passport.

Finally. Submitted my DS260 after ensuring everything is in order.

Next - prepare the required documents while wait for interview date. ;)

Finally. Submitted my DS260 after ensuring everything is in order.

Next - prepare the required documents while wait for interview date. ;)

have you applied the Cert of Good conduct from the Home Office Ministry? should cost you around RM20 i think but it takes a while to be processed. maybe 1 month++

Don't these have expiry dates?

Correct but he should have enough time, unless his interview is more than 13 months from now.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...t-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

Important: Police certificates expire after one year, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued. If at the time of your interview the following three items are all true, you must bring a new police certificate to your visa interview:

• You are more than 16 years old;
  • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than one year ago; and
  • You still live in the country that issued the certificate.
For country-specific guidelines on how to obtain acceptable police certificates, use the Document Finder above.

have you applied the Cert of Good conduct from the Home Office Ministry? should cost you around RM20 i think but it takes a while to be processed. maybe 1 month++

Yeah. As I read that it would take quite a long time to get it (sthing ranges from a month to two), so I applied it before my DS260 submission. Lol.
In my case, it took only 3 working days and it is now ready to be collected. Too fast, never expected that.

Yeah. As I read that it would take quite a long time to get it (sthing ranges from a month to two), so I applied it before my DS260 submission. Lol.
In my case, it took only 3 working days and it is now ready to be collected. Too fast, never expected that.

Cool, in my case, it took around 12 days (so maybe 9 working days) for it to be completed.