• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

I am. just granted visa and details arenot for later rather now.
i entered to the embassy at 1:40 local time and gave the documents and then became appointed for 7 oclock (in the afternoon) interview .
I arrived 40 Minute before the interview time and paid 6760 ($330 )
interview questions
co; swear to tell the truth
me; swear
co;did u finish 12 Grade
me; yes ofcourse
co; where are u studying
me; university
co: asked me what I am studying
me; I told him the truth which is what I filled at ds260
co; do u have girlfreind
me; no
co; do u have children
me; answered the truth
co; who paid the dv process fee
me; personal saving and some help from family
co; what is ur relation with host
me; close friend
co; do u intend to marry before going usa
me; told the truth
co; visa granted
bytheway unauthenticated birth certificate
e brought me no harm but I personaly advice to authenticate. it as it help not only for the dv but also to pursue carrer in usa in case u are asked the legalityi of the document
congra bro

For those who are interested about translation, I have asked the embassy via email about the certified translation thing. They replied to me and told me that a certified translation document is the one which must be translated from a legal translator and should have the signature and seal of the translator. However, I have already get the seal and signature of the embassy where I got the document in addition to the signature and seal of the translator. It seems that I am over prepared, but I am happy doing of this.
We have left 6 days until our interview! We have finished the document preparation only we need to have a photo. Bytheway, I have prepared a document checklist to be sure of having all the documents!!

Even if am ready to accept watever z result is, Waiting Dv interview is interruption! is like been on dilemmas of two roads...

Its good to hear a job searching tip from somebody who was roaring about job scarcity and disaperance of SSN , and why would i do a minimum wage job while am an LPR ?? I was waiting for the SSN and the GC , bcause my current employer wants to check my status on E-verifyer , any ways am working at a big rehablitation centere as a program officer being paid 20 $ per hour (am so thankful for that ) , until i finish my licensure procedure . Its good to have some body who can reccoend you for a job !
Cheers

First... Congratulations on a new job!

Do you know lions roar?

2nd you should never undermine low wage jobs. Many millionaires or even billionaires have worked low wage jobs. I am interviewing for 60 per hour this week but that does not stop me from willing to work low wage jobs. I was a manager in Ethiopia...will I be a manager in US too? I don't know ...may be 25% chance. We need to throw away whatever we used to be...it is a burden. Pride is the biggest wall block for anyone who wants to be great.
My point is... you do not need SSN or GC to work in the US. 3,000$ in a month can be paid for professional resume writing, transport for interviews, even cars...etc all from low wage.

This advice is not to you only but to me and others like me!

G

Do you know lions roar?

2nd you should never undermine low wage jobs. Many millionaires or even billionaires have worked low wage jobs. I am interviewing for 60 per hour this week but that does not stop me from willing to work low wage jobs. I was a manager in Ethiopia...will I be a manager in US too? I don't know ...may be 25% chance. We need to throw away whatever we used to be...it is a burden. Pride is the biggest wall block for anyone who wants to be great.
My point is... you do not need SSN or GC to work in the US. 3,000$ in a month can be paid for professional resume writing, transport for interviews, even cars...etc all from low wage.

Good for you . Thanks for the lecture !

Do you know lions roar?

Correction..........60 per hour is 26 per hour sorry. 60 is what I applied yesterday...they did not reply.

These sounds like roaring or rather CRYING !! Atlist for me !
Trust me...I will admit US is not an easy field to play. So many rules and system. Eg. They will ask you for 2 years of your previous payroll ...how on earth can Ethiopian salary matches theirs? they ask...so, you don't have a US experience? and they will read your resume and say " is that company in New York? "..."NO! it is in Addis". One time this recruiter ask me a lot of questions and lastly I was so mad I said..."Look I am not running for presidency..pls submit my resume and let us hear from the company". Anyways...May God send His hand and give us a job He planned for us all! 90% you will try and leave 10% to God.

Trust me...I will admit US is not an easy field to play. So many rules and system. Eg. They will ask you for 2 years of your previous payroll ...how on earth can Ethiopian salary matches theirs? they ask...so, you don't have a US experience? and they will read your resume and say " is that company in New York? "..."NO! it is in Addis". One time this recruiter ask me a lot of questions and lastly I was so mad I said..."Look I am not running for presidency..pls submit my resume and let us hear from the company". Anyways...May God send His hand and give us a job He planned for us all! 90% you will try and leave 10% to God.

What we did actually is use an international cost of living calculator. So it doesn't just convert what you were earning into dollars which will look low, but does a proper comparison. You can even get these on a city basis. So for example the dollar value of earning rands in SA vs San Francisco is around double (that is if you were earning the rand equivalent of $50000 in SA, in San Francisco you need to earn around $100k for the same purchasing power). I'm sure you can do the same for birr if you look properly on the Internet. May help for those questions of "what was your previous salary".
Although bearing in mind most people take a step back at first.

Also you should be listing where the company location is on your resume, right after the name of the company, they shouldn't be having to ask you?

What we did actually is use an international cost of living calculator. So it doesn't just convert what you were earning into dollars which will look low, but does a proper comparison. You can even get these on a city basis. So for example the dollar value of earning rands in SA vs San Francisco is around double (that is if you were earning the rand equivalent of $50000 in SA, in San Francisco you need to earn around $100k for the same purchasing power). I'm sure you can do the same for birr if you look properly on the Internet. May help for those questions of "what was your previous salary".
Although bearing in mind most people take a step back at first.

Also you should be listing where the company location is on your resume, right after the name of the company, they shouldn't be having to ask you?

Good tips. I will add the place and see their response.
My other advice is not to come with your family together. It is way better if you come first and bring them after sometime you settled.
No wonder so many career advisers and resume writers...million $ sector.

Good tips. I will add the place and see their response.
My other advice is not to come with your family together. It is way better if you come first and bring them after sometime you settled.
No wonder so many career advisers and resume writers...million $ sector.

Well, I think that advice is entirely dependent on each family's situation. That way would never have worked for us.
Sure if you are going with no savings and dependent on a host, that may be good advice, but it's not good for everyone. Personally I think the quicker you can get your children in school and integrating the better.

Well, I think that advice is entirely dependent on each family's situation. That way would never have worked for us.
Sure if you are going with no savings and dependent on a host, that may be good advice, but it's not good for everyone. Personally I think the quicker you can get your children in school and integrating the better.

I am thinking of the majority but you are right.

I am thinking of the majority but you are right.

What is "the majority" though? 50000 people a year get diversity visas and we get maybe a hundred or so posting experiences here every year. Truth be told, no-one really knows what "the majority" is...

well come to our world forum mate and it is time to ask our seniors the question how many. days from the date of visa approval will be passed to have an email notification from Dhl that asks to pick up the visa

well come to our world forum mate and it is time to ask our seniors the question how many. days from the date of visa approval will be passed to have an email notification from Dhl that asks to pick up the visa
Its is differnet but the standard time is 1 week after aprroval

visa approved #Happy #grateful thank u members for ur advice it helped,so much!
Congrats @the251!!! The June interview started very well. It is really nice to hear a success story prior to our interview. Good luck for your future life and relocation!! I hope we will hear from you about your interview experience.