• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Brief and clear narration. Thank you so much.
It's amazing they didn't ask any financial proof or AoS for a family of five members.

They DID!

CO: Who is your host?
* Answered
CO: What is your relationship with your host?
* Answered

The host system is being used by the embassy to gain comfort that the immigrant will have some financial assistance. The reason why they consistently ask the relationship with the host is to determine the strength of the commitment. If a selectee did not have a host or admitted the host was a stranger, then the CO may well dig further regarding financial support. This is described in my blog post - http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/

thanks to those forum mates who posted their interview experience in this thread, i understood that we do not need to
have an affidavit of support anymore (this is what i think)

one thing i am not clear with is that the relationship between the host and the selected individual (DV winner)

for instance the man supposed to host me lives in Tampa and we are not related through
blood (he is not my brother, uncle or something like that), but he is a close friend of my family. does it
mean our relationship is weak , if the CO finds it weak what will happen?

how can the CO determine whether a relationship is weak or not?

comment on this please, thank you!

They DID!

* Answered
* Answered

The host system is being used by the embassy to gain comfort that the immigrant will have some financial assistance. The reason why they consistently ask the relationship with the host is to determine the strength of the commitment. If a selectee did not have a host or admitted the host was a stranger, then the CO may well dig further regarding financial support. This is described in my blog post - http://britsimonsays.com/all-about-public-charge-affidavit-of-support-i-134/
AHA. Thanks @Britsimon.
You mean they are checking possibility of being public charge by checking the strength of relationship with your host.?
But, to what extent do they consider(say) a relationship is strong? Do you think a best friend, best friend of a family or family of a best friend can be considered as good host? Do you think such relationship will raise issue of AoS?

Thanks brits and susie

now I have got your POV perfectly !

here come my question ;

as I have told you earlier I have had a NIV interview last year ; and I was denied based on not proofing economical tie !

on the form for NIV I have stated that I have no relative in USA ; because I was invited for a conference and i was going to stay at a hotel and i didn't communicate with any body about the process so i said NO RELATIVE

so now i have found that i have a cousin who moved to USA from Ireland and I have filled her adress on the Ds 260 and obviously she will be my host :

Do you think that my answer on the previous application (not having a relative ) will have any relation with my IV interview

thanks in advance

No, I don't think it will be a problem. If they ask you about it, just explain what you said above, that your cousin has now moved.

The reason for NIV denial was that you could not overcome presumption of immigrant intent, and that obviously is not a problem for a DV applicaion.

I need yr advise I fill my ds this month cn 48xx I think im very late what is my next step
Ya. You are late. You would be interviewed on October if you had submitted the form on may.
Anyways, KCC currently takes 3-4 months to process once DS260 is submitted. You can calculate roughly when your interview will be.
But, I personally advice you to check your email and ESC page at least once per week (specially between 15th and 25th of a given month). Who knows....they may process forms faster than the usual if they are well adapted with DS260 processing by now.

Last edited:
thanks to those forum mates who posted their interview experience in this thread, i understood that we do not need to
have an affidavit of support anymore (this is what i think)

one thing i am not clear with is that the relationship between the host and the selected individual (DV winner)

for instance the man supposed to host me lives in Tampa and we are not related through
blood (he is not my brother, uncle or something like that), but he is a close friend of my family. does it
mean our relationship is weak , if the CO finds it weak what will happen?

how can the CO determine whether a relationship is weak or not?

comment on this please, thank you!

Nothing has changed about AOS. So if you present a weak case where the CO believes the host offer is not genuine they might insist on an AOS.

Now, close family friend might be ok. Just understand, their job is interviewing people. They are good at spotting lies and their decision is largely based on your credibility...

hello there!. this is to ask your thoughts on my sister's case for the dv 2015. her CN is 67** and the DS 260 form was sent on June 18 (a bit late I think). the thing is, even though the cn was current for October, she did not get any 2NL...yes we check email regularly and go to the Esc site if the appointment letter is there. She currently works and lives in the Middle East (relocated after filling the DS 260 form) and in the form she put her interview place to be there. she has already been granted a 2 year visit visa to the US and we indicate that on filling the DS form. So, my question is, is it normal to stay waiting for the 2NL this this long for a lower CN like hers? her having the visit visa might have a negative impact? and if the 2NL arrives, is it ok if she makes the interview over there? I waiting your thoughts on this....thank you.

welcome and congratulations for your sisters selection
she would have been interviewed on October if she filled the forms in may and June is not that late but they are taking more than four months to process the forms so in my assumption she might get her 2nd notification with the January batch so keep the faith up and wait for it :

about having the interview there I am not sure where she is now and I think it is not a problem if she is leaving there legally but you should provide her a police record from here and all the required documents ; for the police record she must be here to claim it ....

ZGREAT...thank you for the quick reply. she is in the UAE and she is there legally...all the paper requirements are ready while she was here and she took them with her. what about her having the 2 year visit visa to the US...does it have a negative effect on the dv process? (she got that visa while working there)

hello there!. this is to ask your thoughts on my sister's case for the dv 2015. her CN is 67** and the DS 260 form was sent on June 18 (a bit late I think). the thing is, even though the cn was current for October, she did not get any 2NL...yes we check email regularly and go to the Esc site if the appointment letter is there. She currently works and lives in the Middle East (relocated after filling the DS 260 form) and in the form she put her interview place to be there. she has already been granted a 2 year visit visa to the US and we indicate that on filling the DS form. So, my question is, is it normal to stay waiting for the 2NL this this long for a lower CN like hers? her having the visit visa might have a negative impact? and if the 2NL arrives, is it ok if she makes the interview over there? I waiting your thoughts on this....thank you.
As @ZGREAT said, she will most probably get her 2NL this week, Monday or Tuesday if late.
But, just to be sure, did she request KCC to unlock her form for any reason? Does she have DS260 submission confirmation page?

ZGREAT...thank you for the quick reply. she is in the UAE and she is there legally...all the paper requirements are ready while she was here and she took them with her. what about her having the 2 year visit visa to the US...does it have a negative effect on the dv process? (she got that visa while working there)
I think there's no relationship between a tourist visa and an immigrant visa so relax. If it have a relation that would be a plus for her ! and one more thing the police certificate do have expiration date so please check from us embassy in UAE about there rule and let her have a new one to avoid the possibility of being on AP

Here is the detail of our interview day at the US Embassy in Addis:
- Arrived at the embassy (7:30am)
- Show the appointment letter and all our passports to the security guard outside the gate
- Pass through the security check submitting all our electronic devices (cell phones, car remotes)
- Greeted by a charming lady who asked us to put all our docs in a folder (both originals and copies)
- The lady verified all the docs of five family members one by one (against a list printed on one side of the folder) and returned us some extra docs (e.g. educational document of spouse)
- She then gave us an interview appointment coupon for 12:30pm. There is a guideline with the coupon that tells to prepare $330x5 for the afternoon
- Arrived for the interview on time. We were asked to show the coupon and renewed kebele ID (parents) and school ID (children) by the security guard (IDs are asked because our passport is inside)
- We pass through similar security check and then told to wait in the waiting room
- Called at one of the windows and asked to pay $330 (for the DV winner only) by Ethiopian lady
- After the payment, we were asked to give finger prints (only four of us). My youngest daughter (10 years old) was not asked.
- Told to wait again. After few minutes, called at another windiw. Greeted with full smile by an American CO and one Ethiopian lady (translator)
- Questions :
CO: Asked us to swear to tell only the truth
* We did that raising our right hands
CO: Pointing to my youngest daughter, what is her age?
* Answered 10
CO: What do you work
* Answered
* Answered
* Answered
CO: Few questions on contents of submitted docs (e.g. why naming on one of the birth certificates of the children is different?)
* We didn't even notice that before. It was found to be a name format change by municipality over time. We had to explain it and finally agreed.
CO: Declared our visa is approved and asked us to pay the remaining fee ($330x4). Asked us to register for DHL (we already did before) and gave us 5 yellow instruction pages (one for each family member by name) to send to our host in the US (it was about the $165 per person payment for the green card). This payment can be made online by anyone.
* We sincerely thanked the CO. We then requested if it is possible to ask family related private questions. We were allowed and the CO was very kind to make efforts to respond to our question positively.
Overall: our assessment about the interview is that the CO asks questions to verify if what you submit and you tell is realy genuine and right. So, everybody please go for your interview with confidence and tell nothing else but only the trouth. Bye. Any question is welcome.
MB 1xxx congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That an interesting experience share thanks a lot & wish u all the best !!!!!

Hi Guys,
I have a question regarding documents of the derivatives. Do we need to authenticate my wife documents, like grade 10 certificate, birth certificates. Generally what kind of documents do we need to authenticate for the derivatives. I think if the ones who already had the interview could give us some opinion please.

t
Ya. You are late. You would be interviewed on October if you had submitted the form on may.
Anyways, KCC currently takes 3-4 months to process once DS260 is submitted. You can calculate roughly when your interview will be.
But, I personally advice you to check your email and ESC page at least once per week (specially between 15th and 25th of a given month). Who knows....they may process forms faster than the usual if they are well adapted with DS260 processing by now.
thanks for yr quick reply