• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Hi Guys,
I have a question regarding documents of the derivatives. Do we need to authenticate my wife documents, like grade 10 certificate, birth certificates. Generally what kind of documents do we need to authenticate for the derivatives. I think if the ones who already had the interview could give us some opinion please.
Derivatives need
1) medical certificate, original
2) police certification, original
3)birth certificate, authenticated original and copy
4)marriage certificate, authenticated original and copy
5)two photos of size 5x5
6)DHL registration confirmation page
7)passport
8)renewed kebele ID.

No need to authenticate any educational document for derivatives.

and if the 2NL arrives, is it ok if she makes the interview over there? I waiting your thoughts on this....thank you.

The 2NL specifies the embassy - you don't get allocated an interview and then choose where to have it - so if her form specifies that as interview location then her letter should too.

As @ZGREAT said, she will most probably get her 2NL this week, Monday or Tuesday if late.
But, just to be sure, did she request KCC to unlock her form for any reason? Does she have DS260 submission confirmation page?

thanks God-is-Love. No she did not request the KCC to unlock her form and yes she has the DS260 confirmation page. she tried to contact the KCC about the delay via their email but they said she has to wait a little bit more.

The guidance specifically states that COs, cannot use forward projections (what if) scenarios to negatively impact a case. However, they are allowed to rake a number of factors into account, and there is no doubt that a lot of immigrants would not be getting the visas if they were strictly adhering to the rules in every case. However what we try and explain here is to go in to the interview as prepared as possible to avoid denials and AP .

As for the family of 5, they would need help on the US side unless they have plenty of savings.
My case is current for Oct so do they reject from the interview?
Hmmm.... the post above seems to conflict with point 4 below.

When they ask about the host/sponsor, they are trying to establish if you have one and what is your connection to the sponsor (family or friend or complete stranger).
My case is current for Oct but not so 1.do they reject from the interview?
and 2. do they check the date the entrants seen the 1NL?

Hi Guys,
I have a question regarding documents of the derivatives. Do we need to authenticate my wife documents, like grade 10 certificate, birth certificates. Generally what kind of documents do we need to authenticate for the derivatives. I think if the ones who already had the interview could give us some opinion please.
birth certificates , education documents of the derivatives

My case is current for Oct so do they reject from the interview?

My case is current for Oct but not so 1.do they reject from the interview?
and 2. do they check the date the entrants seen the 1NL?
No. They won't reject you for late submission of DS260 form. It doesn't matter when you had checked and knew you had been selected.
Your late submission only affects your interview date. The CO won't have negative attitude on you for being late to check your original entry.

No. They won't reject you for late submission of DS260 form. It doesn't matter when you had checked and knew you had been selected.
Your late submission only affects your interview date. The CO won't have negative attitude on you for being late to check your original entry.
Thank u my doubt is i interview after all early submitted cases in the min time the visa are completed all am I right?

Thank u my doubt is i interview after all early submitted cases in the min time the visa are completed all am I right?

Not that way. You will be interviewed when your number becomes current (yours is already current) and when your DS260 is processed (around four months from date of submission).
You won't wait for interview until all cases processed before you get interviewed.

Hi Guys,
Hi Fikir, from my family's experience, all we need to typically authenticate for the derivatives is birth certificate. Education document is not at all required for the derivatives (the lady who collected our document in to a folder has returned us such extra docs).

Not that way. You will be interviewed when your number becomes current (yours is already current) and when your DS260 is processed (around four months from date of submission).
You won't wait for interview until all cases processed before you get interviewed.
Are u sure ? If yes good. what about yrs?

Hi Fikir, from my family's experience, all we need to typically authenticate for the derivatives is birth certificate. Education document is not at all required for the derivatives (the lady who collected our document in to a folder has returned us such extra docs).
Thank you very much MB1xxx,
That is great information for me and my family. So, we should only authentcate birth certificate and marrage certificate for my wife and take the educational documents with its copy without authentcate. How is your preparation for the relocation? Where are you moving? Good luck!!!

Here is the detail of our interview day at the US Embassy in Addis:
- Arrived at the embassy (7:30am)
- Show the appointment letter and all our passports to the security guard outside the gate
- Pass through the security check submitting all our electronic devices (cell phones, car remotes)
- Greeted by a charming lady who asked us to put all our docs in a folder (both originals and copies)
- The lady verified all the docs of five family members one by one (against a list printed on one side of the folder) and returned us some extra docs (e.g. educational document of spouse)
- She then gave us an interview appointment coupon for 12:30pm. There is a guideline with the coupon that tells to prepare $330x5 for the afternoon
- Arrived for the interview on time. We were asked to show the coupon and renewed kebele ID (parents) and school ID (children) by the security guard (IDs are asked because our passport is inside)
- We pass through similar security check and then told to wait in the waiting room
- Called at one of the windows and asked to pay $330 (for the DV winner only) by Ethiopian lady
- After the payment, we were asked to give finger prints (only four of us). My youngest daughter (10 years old) was not asked.
- Told to wait again. After few minutes, called at another windiw. Greeted with full smile by an American CO and one Ethiopian lady (translator)
- Questions :
CO: Asked us to swear to tell only the truth
* We did that raising our right hands
CO: Pointing to my youngest daughter, what is her age?
* Answered 10
CO: What do you work
* Answered
CO: Who is your host?
* Answered
CO: What is your relationship with your host?
* Answered
CO: Few questions on contents of submitted docs (e.g. why naming on one of the birth certificates of the children is different?)
* We didn't even notice that before. It was found to be a name format change by municipality over time. We had to explain it and finally agreed.
CO: Declared our visa is approved and asked us to pay the remaining fee ($330x4). Asked us to register for DHL (we already did before) and gave us 5 yellow instruction pages (one for each family member by name) to send to our host in the US (it was about the $165 per person payment for the green card). This payment can be made online by anyone.
* We sincerely thanked the CO. We then requested if it is possible to ask family related private questions. We were allowed and the CO was very kind to make efforts to respond to our question positively.
Overall: our assessment about the interview is that the CO asks questions to verify if what you submit and you tell is realy genuine and right. So, everybody please go for your interview with confidence and tell nothing else but only the trouth. Bye. Any question is welcome.

Dear MB1XXX I really do appreciate for detail feed back of your interview , but mb1xxx did you put your host address on ds-260 ? and asked u specifically about that address relation with u?

Thank you very much MB1xxx,
That is great information for me and my family. So, we should only authentcate birth certificate and marrage certificate for my wife and take the educational documents with its copy without authentcate. How is your preparation for the relocation? Where are you moving? Good luck!!!
Dear Fikir12, what I knew for the dv interview u don't need to authenticate ur's wife education document , but what i suggest that she is taking the document with her to usa when u got ur visa ya? so why not or it's better to authenticate her education document also, because it helps when u two arrives in STATE! and try to look for work or pursue further education for her then u need her authenticated document.
good luck

Dear Fikir12, what I knew for the dv interview u don't need to authenticate ur's wife education document , but what i suggest that she is taking the document with her to usa when u got ur visa ya? so why not or it's better to authenticate her education document also, because it helps when u two arrives in STATE! and try to look for work or pursue further education for her then u need her authenticated document.
good luck
Yea you are right. I think we will authenticate everything for me and my family. Thank you very much for the information everybody in this forum. God bless the process!!!

Dear MB1XXX I really do appreciate for detail feed back of your interview , but mb1xxx did you put your host address on ds-260 ? and asked u specifically about that address relation with u?
Yes we did put full name and address of our host on DS260. Th CO asked who he/she is (the name that is already on the form) and the relationship my family has with the host. By the way as we didn't submit the affidavit of support form, we had similar feeling and fear before the interview and thus we brought our house/car ownership certificates (Yebet Karta, libre, etc) just in case we are asked how we can sustain the initial settlement time, but nothing was very serious and we were not asked about our or our sponsor's financial capacity. Rolex my advise is just relax and respond true/consistent answers to any randomly asked questions and that will do the job. Good Luck.

For those who got your visa anf planning to go to USA pls book your flight as early as possible .There is a big difference on the amount of money when you book early.
There is also big money difference b/n d/t airlines