• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Seems to be several schools of thoughts on the medical state / visa date six months thing. Is the final answer that Australian medicals don't expire in six months, and that we should go by the visa stamp only?

also, someone, iheartny or someone, said this

"10/04/13: 2nd NL received (via email)
10/06/13: $330 DV payment posted"

This is scary, should I have paid 330 last year? All I did was mail the forms, no money has changed hands yet, what's that?

Im doing the AOS process because Im already living in the US. The $330 fee is the AOS fee. If youre doing consular processing in Australia you dont need to pay this. :D

Seems to be several schools of thoughts on the medical state / visa date six months thing. Is the final answer that Australian medicals don't expire in six months, and that we should go by the visa stamp only?

This is scary, should I have paid 330 last year? All I did was mail the forms, no money has changed hands yet, what's that?

Im doing the AOS process because Im already living in the US. The $330 fee is the AOS fee. If youre doing consular processing in Australia you dont need to pay this. :D

Quick correction here, the $330 fee you paid is not the AOS fee, it's actually the DV administrative fee which is also applicable to those doing CP, except they don't make this payment in advance. For CP the payment is made at the time of the interview. The actual AOS fee which is $1070 will be made when/if you send in your AOS package.

Mate, I think I've said it before, but relax. Every other post of yours sounds panicked. All the information is on this forum, or the US consulate websites, and if for some reason it's not, it'll be provided to you well before your interview.

The more you let it get you all freaked out, the more likely it is you'll overthink something small and make a mistake in desperation.

No, you don't have to pay the $330 until your interview, whether you're successful or not. Deep breaths!

Two questions;

In regards to the medical, what vaccinations should one be getting? I had a blood test recently and my hepatitis c immunization was low so may have to get a vaccination for that I'm sure. Also how far in advance could one do the medical?

In regards to the re-entry visa, how long would it take from application to get one? Say what's the soonest one could enter the US and then leave again with a re-entry visa.

Cheers.

There is a list of vaccinations required in the gov page as well as one pinned to the top of this forum.

A lot of the doctors require you to have a interview date set.

You could leave almost the same day however you need to have an address to get your green card sent to.

I had my medical today with Dr Rappaport. She was lovely and it was under 2 hours in total.

Just wondering if they send you a copy of the results or do they only send to the consulate.

Thank you

Jo

just wondering if anyone can assist with my question?

Thank you!

Two questions;

In regards to the medical, what vaccinations should one be getting? I had a blood test recently and my hepatitis c immunization was low so may have to get a vaccination for that I'm sure. Also how far in advance could one do the medical?

In regards to the re-entry visa, how long would it take from application to get one? Say what's the soonest one could enter the US and then leave again with a re-entry visa.

Cheers.

Not clear what you mean by "re-entry visa". When you enter your visa turns into a temporary green card valid for a year, so you can leave immediately and use that if you plan on being back within a year. If you want a 2-year re-entry permit you will need to wait until you get a biometrics appointment scheduled which could take some weeks, and I've seen other forums talk about delays in the processing of the relevant forms so could be longer.

Yeah re-entry visa, that's what I meant, thanks for that.

Sorry for more stupid questions but do you have to do the medical in the country where you are having the consulate interview? Or say you're overseas can you get the medical done there and take the results back in time for the interview? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an annoying question and I expect to get told to "use the bloody search function", but do any of you "lifers" (SusieQQQ, britsimon, TonyJP, for example) have handy the visa issuance numbers for the past few years, or a link to them?

I'm writing my latest column for work (about Aussies coming out of the woodwork everywhere I turn) and I keep confusing myself with the numbers on the state.gov websites. I'm positive they're around here somewhere but I don't have the patience to sift through 40 pages' worth of stuff!

Thanks in advance!

This is an annoying question and I expect to get told to "use the bloody search function", but do any of you "lifers" (SusieQQQ, britsimon, TonyJP, for example) have handy the visa issuance numbers for the past few years, or a link to them?

I'm writing my latest column for work (about Aussies coming out of the woodwork everywhere I turn) and I keep confusing myself with the numbers on the state.gov websites. I'm positive they're around here somewhere but I don't have the patience to sift through 40 pages' worth of stuff!

Thanks in advance!

In 2013, I think 730 visas were issued. For previous years, someone posted a chart in post #592 (page 20 of this thread) that has a column with that info. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that data, though.

Thanks in advance!

If you go to the bottom of this page http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa.html there is a section "diversity visa statistics" which has data on entry, selection and visas issued under the DV for the past few years. It's broken down by country and region as well.

If you go to the bottom of this page http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa.html there is a section "diversity visa statistics" which has data on entry, selection and visas issued under the DV for the past few years. It's broken down by country and region as well.

Yeah those were the numbers that confused me Susie - I'd have thought issuances were higher than around 300 per year. But then I think I've allowed myself to get caught up in the common misconception that "2000 case numbers means 2000 Australian interviewees". DUH.

Thanks guys!

Been reading your blog Crawf33, it's good stuff. Good to see the reality of what living over there is like. How'd you get into journalism just thought I'd ask?

Thanks mate, good to know you're enjoying it. Don't suppose you're in New Zealand? I've had a solid traffic spike from NZ today haha.

As for journalism, I went straight into a Bachelor of Journalism after high school, but by the end I wasn't really sure whether I wanted to work in the industry or not.

Then I spent over a year not working in the industry, due to not being able to crack the job market, and I pretty much gave up. In early 2007 some fortunate networking landed me an entry-level gig at the ABC and I ended up spending six and a half years there before packing up last August, selling all my worldly possessions and relocating to Denver to wait out the green card process.