• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

I'm also an Australian and hoping for an interview in February, if not I'll most likely be current in March. I'll have a better idea when next month's visa bulletin comes out.

I'm just wondering how long after the visa bulletin comes out that your interview date gets scheduled.

I'm also an Australian and hoping for an interview in February, if not I'll most likely be current in March. I'll have a better idea when next month's visa bulletin comes out.

I'm just wondering how long after the visa bulletin comes out that your interview date gets scheduled.

Doesn't seem to be a set period, but as a guide, the previous bulletin was released on the 14th of October and everyone got their interview appointment letters on the 19th.

Yes, thank you Qewty. I did read that, however, wasn't sure if that meant you had to actually have these certificates (and in this instance, could not produce them for whatever reason) or if it didn't matter, as long as you had education degrees above the high school level.

Maybe just do a bit of searching through DV2012 Australian winners threads because I seem to recall some saying they didn't need their HSC when they produced their Uni degrees. But my memory's not the best, so that's why I suggest do a bit of reading through older threads (search for DV2011 Aussie winners too) just to be sure. There was one sad incident when an Aussie failed the interview because he didn't have his HSC but some sort of equivalent - can't recall what exactly it was but he didn't have a Uni degree. I think it was 10 years of high school plus TAFE.

But from what I recall, I'm pretty sure you're okay with your degree.

If you're low 600s, I'd say February would be your month for sure. I'm low-ish 700s and believe March will be my interview month. Good luck!

DV lottery winner 2012

If you're low 600s, I'd say February would be your month for sure. I'm low-ish 700s and believe March will be my interview month. Good luck!

Hi guys,
I am one of those Lucky DV winners 2012 from Australia. I have not moved yet as I am not sure where to stay in USA.

From such a big country, we have to choose our new home is not an easy task.

Not sure if anyone have the same problem.

Love your thoughts.

so after my successful interview in Sydney last week, I received my passport back today with my Visa in it ready to go - much earlier than expected too :) very happy this is all finally over and now I just have to pick a date to leave for the US.

good luck to everyone!

Congrats and good luck as you proceed on your journey.

so after my successful interview in Sydney last week, I received my passport back today with my Visa in it ready to go - much earlier than expected too :) very happy this is all finally over and now I just have to pick a date to leave for the US.

good luck to everyone!

good luck to everyone!

Awesome news!! Congrats!
Great to know they get your passport and card back to you so fast.
Best wishes! :eek:

New to the forum

Hi Everyone,
I just found this forum and wish i had known about it at the start of the journey. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm 27 and from NZ. I actually have my consular interview this Tuesday morning! Feeling a little nervous but i know i have all my documents in order. Flying up Monday night to be sure i make it in time!
It sounds like lots of us are keen to move to NYC. Thats where i plan to head to. I love that city more than any other place on earth. Its just me moving on my own, no husband or kids. Would be great to keep in touch if lots of us did end up moving to NY.
Good luck to everyone no matter what stage you're at :)

Good luck for your interview, I had mine a few weeks back, all went well. Dont be nervous - The only things I was asked was, When was I planning on going, Was I married, had children and have I lived overseas before. (I had lived in Beijing for two years - but this wasnt an issue, I just needed a Police Check from China) I was surprised they didnt even ask how I planned to support myself while looking for work, and which City I was thinking of moving too.

Im going to move to NY. It would be good to get your opinion on what you plan to do for accommodation when you arrive and your thoughts on Health/Travel Insurance.

Hi Everyone,
I just found this forum and wish i had known about it at the start of the journey. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm 27 and from NZ. I actually have my consular interview this Tuesday morning! Feeling a little nervous but i know i have all my documents in order. Flying up Monday night to be sure i make it in time!
It sounds like lots of us are keen to move to NYC. Thats where i plan to head to. I love that city more than any other place on earth. Its just me moving on my own, no husband or kids. Would be great to keep in touch if lots of us did end up moving to NY.

Hi Abbey!

I'm from Christchurch too and I had my interview in October! The process in Auckland is pretty smooth and there is nothing to worry about at all! All the best for Tuesday, drop me a PM if you have any last minute questions....

Hi Everyone,

Hello fellow New Zealanders.. I'm from Auckland, case number 16xx so guessing will be a long while till I'm current. Would be nice to get to meet people here and maybe meet you again/follow up after we make the big move :)

Hello

I am an Australian winner and I have my interview on Jan 21st.

I have a few questions for the wise people of this forum

I just had my first real problem. I had my medical booked in for next week in Melbourne and the doctor has cancelled for family reasons. He is away until the day of my interview in Sydney, so it is not possible for me to have it done in Melbourne.

My only option now is to have the medical in Sydney the afternoon after my interview. The consulate advises people in states such as ACT who have no medical centre registered to do this. I guess it is going to hold things up.
Has anyone been in this situation?

Also, does anyone know what questions you will get asked if you are divorced? I was married really young for one hot minute. That was 16 years ago. I have the divorce certificate, but not the original marriage cert.. Is that all I will need?

Also. Any updates on degree as a substitute for a year 12 certificate. I no longer have mine and due to holiday period shut down, I am pushing it to get a new copy in time.

I really don't want to postpone my interview if possible.

Hello

I am an Australian winner and I have my interview on Jan 21st.

I have a few questions for the wise people of this forum

Hi dafang. Congrats to you and all the selectees on here.

I had a somewhat similar situation. I had my interview last week in Sydney. I had no year 12 certificate because I never did year 12. But I took the testamurs and transcripts of my university preparation program, degree, post-grad degree and post-grad diploma and asked to submit them in place of year 12 certification. They accepted it no problem.

Also I didn't have my medical certificate because it was held up even though I had the exam. The panel doctor wanted information about something from my GP before he would give the clearance. When it became evident that the medical certificate was not going to be ready in time, the panel doctor's advice was to go to the interview at the Consulate anyway and explain the delay. I went to the interview and they were okay with it. They could not issue an on-the-spot visa approval, as they otherwise would have, and gave me a form QF194 that sets out that the visa was refused at the interview but will be issued when I provide the missing document. The form is a standard form and they just tick the document that is missing. The form also lists things like missing vaccinations and passport with more than 8 months' validity. Of course they asked about the delay and I think they made something of an assessment as to whether it was feasible to proceed. It has created a delay for my visa issuance but at least the interview is over, I haven't lost my place in queue and everything is cleared except for the missing doc. The form effectively indicates that I have until September 2013 to get the document in, but of course I will do everything I can to get it done ASAP.

I noticed quite a few other people being interviewed that day were missing a document or more. Understandably, the Consulate staff's patience wore a little thin with a guy next to me who had turned up with a lot of documents missing, but aside from that they were unexpectedly kind and patient in general. I think it definitely helps to have everything in exactly the right order and the correct photocopies. I also had the cover sheet printed from the email they sent that sets out the order the docs must be in. Remember to take a new passport photo and a 3kg Platinum Express Post envelope (costs about $18 at Australia Post) that you have self-addressed.

I actually lost my passport photo on the way to the interview. It must have slipped out of my folder - I had followed the instructions and taken everything out of their plastic sleeves and had no paper clips or bags. When I discovered this missing while waiting in the lobby of the Consulate I taxied home and grabbed the only other passport photo I had. Panic!! Unfortunately it later became apparent that it was from the same set as the original photo I had sent to Kentucky, so it was obviously more than 6 months old and the Consulate wouldn't accept it for that reason. I had to leave the Consulate and go and urgently get another passport photo taken and then re-enter the consulate to continue the interview. I noticed one other person had to do this as well. My advice: put your docs in an envelope not a folder!

Another thing I noticed that was causing a few other people some problems was that they had not provided, and did not have, a US contact name, address and phone number for the delivery of the green card. You should already have provided this on the form you sent to Kentucky and, if you didn't, you need to provide it at the interview.

I wasn't listening on purpose, but I could hear what was going on in other interviews because even though there are partitions for the interview boths, the interviewing officers are the other side of security glass and speak in a microphone and pretty much everyone who is waiting can hear what they are saying to you. You need to overcome any shyness quickly and don't let stagefright compromise your interview.

I don't know about divorce (never married) but they did ask me why I wanted to move to the USA, which city I planned to live in, how I planned to support myself when I arrived, what I would do for work and how I planned to get a job. I asked if they wanted to see the proof that I had brought of the liquid and other assets I have, and they said no and that there is no need to prove anything but education assuming all the other clearances. You have to take an oath at the beginning of the interview with your right hand raised.

Other tips: Allow at least 15 mins for security. From the MLC Centre lobby you take the lift to level 10 which is where, after showing ID and your invitation, you walk through a metal detector (shoes, coats, belts off). But then you wait in chairs until they are ready to take you up in groups to level 59, which is not always immediately. On level 59 there is another check of ID and you proceed through a security door to the main room with a push-button ticketing system and security glass booths down the facing wall kind of like tellers at a bank. When you number flashes up, you go to the booth number indicated. The first time it's for an officer to go through your docs to make sure they are all there, the second time to be interviewed. The interview itself was only about 20 minutes, if that, but the whole thing took me about 90 minutes.

Don't take phones, bags, hats, electronic devices. Bags must be checked at level 10 and it doesn't look like they have a lot of space for checked items. I realised too late that my phone is the only thing I carry now with a clock (I don't wear a watch since I realised a smartphone keeps better time) and because i didn't take it I was stupidly stuck in the lobby with no idea what time it was which didn't help my pre-interview nerves.

So my advice is to go to the scheduled interview and then do the medical that afternoon, and your degree should be fine.

Yes, it's not a big deal to send things in later. I was asked to get a police check from another country, the only issue was the consulate my passport and I needed it. Just hang on to your passport.

A degree supersedes year 12.

Thanks for all of that. Very helpful.

Luckily I gave my USA address on the original form, so I guess I don't have to bring it again.

I hope everything else is fine.

Is it a problem if you don't have any immunisation records? I gather they just give you extra shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I had a successful interview on Tuesday so just waiting on my passport to be returned hopefully in the next few days.

I won't go through my entire experience as others have gone into more detail, but I thought I would share one issue with the document checklist that the Sydney consulate sent. I received that checklist twice and had been working off the first one I received. Unbeknowst to me, the second checklist had another document in it, an Australian Citizenship Certificate. I only discovered that the day before the interview so I had a bit of a panic attack, but it turned out they didn't even ask for it on the day. Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I don't know why they would want it in the first place since eligibility is by your country of birth.

Happy to answer any questions people might have.