• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

got my 2NL e-mailed to me this morning and my interview has been scheduled for November. anyone else gotten one recently??

Yes, the wait is excruciating. I also have to do a separate application against a 5 year bar I have.

When I emailed KCC about receiving my forms, they said they are processed in the order they receive them, so looks like the numbers are irrelevant to some extent.

When I emailed KCC about receiving my forms, they said they are processed in the order they receive them, so looks like the numbers are irrelevant to some extent.
They process DS-230 & DSP-122 forms as they are received at KCC, irrespective of case number. Visa interviews are then set (for those cases whose forms have been received by KCC) based solely on case number.

Yep. On sale on the Gold Coast for coke/diet coke you're lucky to get at about $13 lately. $15 is about right. Can't stand living on the Gold Coast anymore after having lived in Canada and constantly being in the US too. Not to mention the cost of utilities.. There was that study thing or whatever that came out recently saying how a family needs $100,000 per year AFTER tax just to survive in Australia. So about $140,000 a year before tax.. Just stupid.

And of course New York is a bit more expensive, but it's the same as living in a city like Melbourne/Sydney in Australia, it's going to be more expensive than other places, and you're paying for that lifestyle too. And New York is sure worth it...

Hey everyone,

I've just gotten my 2nd NL and my interview date is set for November in Montreal.

I just moved here and financially, not a strong candidate on my own but I will have an Affadavit of Support from a friend of mine in the US so that should help strengthen the case. I'm working for a highly regarding IT computer company in Canada (in sales) so I can't even use that as work experience.

I just want to make sure I'm clear on the expectations of myself at the interview.

I need my original documents - Birth Certificate, Senior Certificate or High School Diploma, Police Records for both Australia and Canada even though I haven't had any issues, Medical Results and Immunization records (which I don't have access to and can't get a hold of but the physician doing my medical advised that I can just be immunized for my age group on the day)

Is there anything I'm missing?

I'm SUPER excited and nervous all at the same time and really want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I proceed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Congrats! You and I are in the same boat - moved to Canada but Australian selectees. At least you'll be there before the worst of Montreal weather hits. I expect my interview around February which means minus 20 weather likely :( but I love Montreal so I'm looking forward to the visit.

As far as documents, I've been looking at: http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/supplements/MTL-SUP-ENGL-0011-1207.pdf

I imagine you're doing the same? There's an Interview Checklist on page 5 which lists everything you need. The things I see missing in your list are 2 passport photos, copy of your passport biographic page, forms DS-230.

How'd you get your notification? Did you get an email? What did it tell you to do? Pardon me for being such a sticky beak, but it seems to be different for every consulate, so I'd love to know ;)

All the best, and please us keep us posted!

Is there anything I'm missing?
Check your interview notification letter - it will list exactly what is required at your interview at the particular consulate you're having your interview. Consulates differ in what they require, so the best would be to check your letter.

Congratulations!

Hi all,
I've had my interview and it was a success! I'll write up a full report in a few days ;)

Hooray James! So glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing that with us. All the best for your future in the US.

I've been up late doing an assignment and procrastinating by refreshing the bulletin page every now and then. I see it's up now and that my number is current in December! I'm at the high end so I'm not sure if that means I'll be late in December or if the consulate squeezes everything into the first couple of weeks of December and then closes down for Christmas?

At any rate, I'm very excited and now begins the next stage of the waiting game! :)

Also, just wondering if anybody can clarify with ease how long the police certificate and medical are valid for? I have it in my mind that the police check is a year and the medical is 6 months, is this correct?

I've been up late doing an assignment and procrastinating by refreshing the bulletin page every now and then. I see it's up now and that my number is current in December! I'm at the high end so I'm not sure if that means I'll be late in December or if the consulate squeezes everything into the first couple of weeks of December and then closes down for Christmas?

At any rate, I'm very excited and now begins the next stage of the waiting game! :)

Hooray Annabelle! It must be such a relief to finally know the month.

I'm in the low 700's and from the numbers so far, I still can't get a good reading of when I'll be up. I'd say, for sure in March, but maybe February. I've got several years of OC bulletins in a spreadsheet and there's no pattern, no rhyme or reason, it's different every year. This year's slowed down in December, as I expected. January's probably won't increase by much either.

New Zealand DV Experience from Start to Finish.

I had my interview a few days ago and it was successful! Since the process is slightly different in New Zealand and because everyone likes stories here is mine. I may have missed or forgotten something so use at your own risk :)

For the previous six years I have entered the DV lottery, all unsuccessful until DV2013.
On the results release day I checked the website and I had won - I always knew that it was unlikely for me to win (something like 5% for the OC region) so it was a fantastic surprise! What was even more amazing was I had a low rank number so I knew that I would probably be current in October!

For the next few days I filled in the forms and got my photos done (US Passport photos seem quite common so no problem at the pharmacy – you will need at least six) and submitted my forms by registered post on the 08-May. I decided to use a NZ 'International Express Courier' bag which is the most expensive ($43NZD) but well worth it so I could track it all the way (DHL is actually the carrier once it arrives in the US). My forms arrived a few days later on the 10-May at 'Erlanger -USA'. I gave KCC a ring a few weeks after that to ensure it had arrived - which it had!

I received my 2NL by e-mail mid-August - which was simply a message asking me to login to the ESC website "You have received this email notification to inform you that you have updates available at http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC. Please log in using your confirmation number from your original application to complete further processing.". The 1NL had been replaced with my 2NL which contained the interview date of October!

A few weeks later I booked in for my medical exam. The entire process was very straight forward - some questions, a physical examination, eye test and a blood test. Make sure you bring a record of your current vaccinations from your normal GP and two passport photos. The medical exam cost around $200NZD (obviously it may be more if you need extra vaccines) and took approximately one hour. They gave me a script to get an X-Ray which cost around $100NZD. A few days later I got a call from the doctor saying the forms had been submitted to the Consulate for review and gave me a tracking number so I could check that it had arrived safely (and it did!). If you are interested do a Google for 'DS-2053' which is the medical form that is used by the Doctor - it appears the blood test is for Syphilis and the X-Ray for TB.

In late August/Early September I received a letter from the Auckland Consulate with a copy of the blank medical forms, interview date/time and instructions. If you live in NZ I recommend that you wait for this letter before you have your medical (so you can bring your own forms). I believe that the DV process for New Zealand is unique so if you are from other countries your process is probably completely different. For New Zealand applicants you must submit the police clearance form (the Consulate directly ask the police for your records), a photo copy of your passport id page, two passport photos AND all original documents WITH copies prior to the interview – including Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate, Education Records, CV/Resume and evidence of Funds/Assets (yes this was specifically asked for). Also, for NZ at least it states that I-864 (Affidavit of Support) is NOT required for DV cases. I took photo copies of everything. I sent the forms to Auckland and waited for my interview. I called the Auckland US Consulate with a few questions and they are really helpful and nice.

To the interview you need to bring a Registered Post Foolscap prepaid envelope ($13NZD) - not all post shops stock them (I had to visit three!) so go to a proper KiwiBank/NZPost to be sure.

THE DAY:
The Consulate is located on the 3rd floor of the Citibank building in Auckland. I was staying at a Hotel close by and arrived around 45 minutes early. There was queue of around 20 waiting to pass through security - this does take some time so be prepared to wait. You cannot take bags or cellphones into the waiting area but they do have free lockers available to hold your things. You need to present your passport and interview form (the one you got with the 2NL) - I also took a folder with all my document copies. When you get passed security you are directed to Window 5 'Immigrant Visas' - there was no queue (there was a queue of around 20 or so for the non-immigrant line) so I went right up and pressed the buzzer. At this point I was greeted by my case manager who was very nice and helpful (I had spoken to her on the phone already). She had already reviewed all my documents which I had previously submitted and she told me rules and regulations of the green card. She let me check that all my details were correct on the screen - you can also update the delivery address of the green card. The case manager saw that I was very nervous and she told me not to worry and that everything was in order - she said that if there was something wrong she would have told me before the interview so I could fix it (phew!) She took my finger prints and I went to Window 4 to pay. I had the exact amount ready $429NZD in cash and they do have change available and they do not accept USD. I was told to sit and wait.

People were reading magazines and newspapers (so this appears to be allowed in NZ). They seem to process all the non-immigrants first, so I waited for around 2 hours until it was just a small number of immigrants waiting. I was called up to a window with the Consulate officer and asked to raise my hand to swear the standard oath and had my left hand scanned again. He quickly certified my documents (he didn't seem interested in my University qualifications - only my High School). I can't really remember the exact questions he asked - but it was like “Where are you going? Do you have a job lined up? When do you intend to move?” etc. He asked me to sign the bottom of the DS-230 (the area you left blank on page four that you sent to KCC) and said "Today I am approving your Visa - congratulations!". That was it!

My passport (with VISA) and the big yellow 'DO NOT OPEN' folder arrived two days after the interview!

Yes, we do love our stories! :D Thanks for yours, James! And congratulations! How do you feel now? The relief at getting the visa must be great, but you must also be pretty nervous about your next big step in life. I know I would be. All the best with that. Keep us posted, and keep looking in here in case any of us have questions you can answer. Or just to hold our hand if we get too stressed out ;)

Yay Annabelle!! So excited for you! I was up doing an assignment too, and even though I don't have an interview this time around, I am very keen to see the numbers pan out. So interesting to see the change in the Asian region too - not sure what's going on over there. Anyway, hopefully it will be an amazing Christmas present for you. Your turn next Vichel!

Warm wishes

Q