2010 March N-400 Tracker

cafeconleche,

If I were you, I would get a document from the landlord and notarize it. If you are receiving any mails save them.

Good Luck.

I have completed my citizenship interview today and wanted to share my experience with you before I forget the details. I am an LPR from 6/14/2005. But my interview is today (6/10/2010), 4 days before the completion of 5 years after LPR. The interview went very well but the IO told me that as per the law that no decision can be made until (6/14/2010) until completion of 5 years from my LPR Date.

Here is the long story:

My interview was scheduled 8:00 AM today (6/10/2010) at Federal Building in Baltimore Downtown. I live in Owings Mills MD (Northern suburbs of Baltimore). I know it would be easy to go by metro than driving because its difficult to park near the Federal Building, I can avoid traffic jams during rush hours and its expensive too (around $17.00 per 3 hours).

Before starting from home, I checked in Google maps at which station I should get down and how I should walk to the USCIS office. But when I reached there, I got out at Charles Street stop but from a different exit than I planned. So I was 10 minutes late and I reached the USCIS office at 8:10 AM. At the entrance of the Federal Building I went through the security screening. The officer guided me to the room right adjacent to the security-screening place on the street level. When I went into the room several people are already waiting. So I went straight to the receptionist and gave my interview letter to him. I was little bit nervous, as I am late. I asked him do I have enough time to visit the bathroom? He said I have plenty of time and joked I can go to a park and come back if I like. J Also told me that there will be speakers in the waiting area as well as in restrooms, so if my name is announced I will know. That relaxed me a bit.

Around 8:55 AM, my name was announced and the officer invited me to her office. It was a bit difficult to understand her pronunciation as the officer her self is an immigrant. I started listening very carefully to her.

She asked me to stand up and raise my hand take oath:

IO: “” take the oath that whatever I say is truth. I raised my hand and said, “I do”.

She asked for my GC, Passport and my driver’s license.

She immediately started my civic test. Here are the questions.

1. What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
2. Who is in charge of the executive branch?
3. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
4. What is one reason colonists came to America?
5. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
6. During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?

I answered all 6 questions, so stopped asking further.
Next was the Reading Test. She asked me to “What state has more population in US?”
After reading it loud, she asked me to write “ California has the most population.”

After that she opened my N-400 application and went through almost each and every answer I wrote. First she asked me to say my name, address and phone number and crosschecked with the information in the application. She asked me when was my last trip out of United States and to which country? Again she crosschecked with the information in the application. She asked me there was an extremely long trip out of US in 2006 (I was out for 179 days), what was the reason? I told her the actual reason that I received my GC right after my marriage. So I could never able to bring my wife with me to US. As my wife was sick and needed my attention I stayed with her for that period. The IO was fine with it.

She looked very pleased with my answers and looked at the calendar for immediate Oath. Then she found that I have not completed 5 Years after my GC (LPR from 6/14/2005 and today is 6/10/2010, 4 days less than 5 years). She said as per the law she cannot take any decision until 6/14/2010. She wrote the same in a letter and handed it over to me. The letter also reports that I passed my Civic, Reading and Writing tests. Just wanted to cross check with her whether my application will be approved or not. So asked her “can I come for Oath on 6/14/2010”. She said I will receive a letter about the Oath date but said it would be very soon. She asked me to write my complete name and sign on the application (I guess it is our N-400).

As the process was about to complete I proactively told her that my driver’s license doesn’t show my proof of residence correctly as I took my DL just 2 months before sending my N-400 application. Then she asked me about the other proofs I showed all the documentation (the apartment lease agreement, utility bills and bank statements etc). She noted all the information about the proof of residences on the application.

I did brought that to her attention though she didn’t ask me, because on 06/14/2010 some one else might look at my application and take a decision based on the information on that application. So I wanted her to have her all the required information.

That was it. I packed all my stuff and then she dropped back to the waiting room.

Hope this would help you guys. Good Luck!!

===================================
DO: Baltimore, MD, LPR since 06/14//2005

03/18/2010 - Sent N-400 by USPS Express mail to Lewisville, TX
03/19/2010 - N-400 Recvd Date
03/19/2010 - Priority Date
03/26/2010 - Check cashed
03/31/2010 - NOA received (Notice Date 3/26/2010)
04/04/2010 - FP Notice Recvd (scheduled: 04/26)
04/26/2010 - FP Done (Actual. Walk-in failed on 04/08)
05/05/2010 - Transferred to local office
05/07/2010 - Interview Letter Recvd
06/10/2010 - Interview Date (No decision can be made till 6/14/2010 - until it becomes 5 years from my LPR date)
XX/xx/2010 - Oath Date

I have completed my citizenship interview today and wanted to share my experience with you before I forget the details. I am an LPR from 6/14/2005. But my interview is today (6/10/2010), 4 days before the completion of 5 years after LPR. The interview went very well but the IO told me that as per the law that no decision can be made until (6/14/2010) until completion of 5 years from my LPR Date.

Here is the long story:

My interview was scheduled 8:00 AM today (6/10/2010) at Federal Building in Baltimore Downtown. I live in Owings Mills MD (Northern suburbs of Baltimore). I know it would be easy to go by metro than driving because its difficult to park near the Federal Building, I can avoid traffic jams during rush hours and its expensive too (around $17.00 per 3 hours).

Before starting from home, I checked in Google maps at which station I should get down and how I should walk to the USCIS office. But when I reached there, I got out at Charles Street stop but from a different exit than I planned. So I was 10 minutes late and I reached the USCIS office at 8:10 AM. At the entrance of the Federal Building I went through the security screening. The officer guided me to the room right adjacent to the security-screening place on the street level. When I went into the room several people are already waiting. So I went straight to the receptionist and gave my interview letter to him. I was little bit nervous, as I am late. I asked him do I have enough time to visit the bathroom? He said I have plenty of time and joked I can go to a park and come back if I like. J Also told me that there will be speakers in the waiting area as well as in restrooms, so if my name is announced I will know. That relaxed me a bit.

Around 8:55 AM, my name was announced and the officer invited me to her office. It was a bit difficult to understand her pronunciation as the officer her self is an immigrant. I started listening very carefully to her.

IO: “” take the oath that whatever I say is truth. I raised my hand and said, “I do”.

5. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.

Next was the Reading Test. She asked me to “What state has more population in US?”
After reading it loud, she asked me to write “ California has the most population.”

After that she opened my N-400 application and went through almost each and every answer I wrote. First she asked me to say my name, address and phone number and crosschecked with the information in the application. She asked me when was my last trip out of United States and to which country? Again she crosschecked with the information in the application. She asked me there was an extremely long trip out of US in 2006 (I was out for 179 days), what was the reason? I told her the actual reason that I received my GC right after my marriage. So I could never able to bring my wife with me to US. As my wife was sick and needed my attention I stayed with her for that period. The IO was fine with it.

She looked very pleased with my answers and looked at the calendar for immediate Oath. Then she found that I have not completed 5 Years after my GC (LPR from 6/14/2005 and today is 6/10/2010, 4 days less than 5 years). She said as per the law she cannot take any decision until 6/14/2010. She wrote the same in a letter and handed it over to me. The letter also reports that I passed my Civic, Reading and Writing tests. Just wanted to cross check with her whether my application will be approved or not. So asked her “can I come for Oath on 6/14/2010”. She said I will receive a letter about the Oath date but said it would be very soon. She asked me to write my complete name and sign on the application (I guess it is our N-400).

As the process was about to complete I proactively told her that my driver’s license doesn’t show my proof of residence correctly as I took my DL just 2 months before sending my N-400 application. Then she asked me about the other proofs I showed all the documentation (the apartment lease agreement, utility bills and bank statements etc). She noted all the information about the proof of residences on the application.

I did brought that to her attention though she didn’t ask me, because on 06/14/2010 some one else might look at my application and take a decision based on the information on that application. So I wanted her to have her all the required information.

That was it. I packed all my stuff and then she dropped back to the waiting room.

Congrats PBOK! Hopefully you will get your decision soon and OL soon.

Here is the long story:

My interview was scheduled 8:00 AM today (6/10/2010) at Federal Building in Baltimore Downtown.

Congratulations PBOK !!! Thank you for the detailed post. It sure helps us all, as to what to expect.

I had some extra time this morning and I decided to go to YouTube and search for "Naturalization". If you do the same search you will see a lot of people who have recorded their own ceremonies.

Putting aside the discussion of whether this is allowed at certain ceremonies or not, it will give you an idea of what the final step is like. You may even be able to find a video of a ceremony in your own city.

Enjoy!

I actually attended one In orlando with a friend a few years ago. It was held in the Tupperware HQ conference Center on Orange Blossom trail, and there were a lot of people there. It was interesting, and afterwards quite informal, with people chatting and taking photos

Done with the interview...oath ceremony completed the same day....now a USC !!!

My wife and I arrived at 8:00 AM for 8:15 interview. After security check, etc. were seated in the lobby by 8:07 AM. It was a pleasant place. I was called in first at 8:16 AM. The lady was very nice, professional, and courteous. First she asked for PRC and DL, then put me under oath. Next, I was asked civic questions:

- what is an amendment?
- name one state bordering Canada
- what is the supreme law of the land?
- who vetoes the bills?
- who did US fight in World War II?
- what is the capital of Colorado?

followed by reading - where is the White House?
followed by writing - The White House is in Washington D.C.

After that the interviewing officer went thru the N-400 application. When we reached the appropriate section I disclosed that I had couple minor traffic citations (which I had not declared in original N-400 app) and have documentation (MVR and court records.) She made correction to the N-400 and took the documents and attached to the N-400. At the end of reviewing the N-400 she said she is recommending me for approval and if my wife (even thought she was being interviewed by another officer at that time) and I could come back for oath ceremony later in the day. I was excited ! She made me sign N-400 and gave me the approval letter as well as oath ceremony notice. The whole process took ~20 minutes.

Came out and waited for my wife (she was called in 8-10 minutes after me.) Her interview took ~18 minutes and her experience was pretty much same - the main difference being that the lady who interviewed me did let some personal conversation (couple of jokes too) occur, where as the lady who interviewed my wife was to the point.

We went back home, picked our daughter early from school, and went in for oath ceremony. There were ~60 people from 30 countries being sworn in. They let our daughter sit with us. Overall, the oath ceremony was pleasant and quick (about an hour end to end.)

Next step...applying for passport.

Thanks to this forum and all members of the forum for guiding us thru the experience.

Good luck to all who are in-process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Done with the interview...oath ceremony completed the same day....now a USC !!!

My wife and I arrived at 8:00 AM for 8:15 interview. After security check, etc. were seated in the lobby by 8:07 AM. It was a pleasant place. I was called in first at 8:16 AM. The lady was very nice, professional, and courteous. First she asked for PRC and DL, then put me under oath. Next, I was asked civic questions:

Next step...applying for passport.

Thanks to this forum and all members of the forum for guiding us thru the experience.

Good luck to all who are in-process.

Congrats. That is great news. Wish all DO's did same day oath. Thanks for Sharing.

It's weird, not sure why different DO's have different procedure/process for the same application.

Thanks DenverCOMarch.

I guess few of Washingtonians from our thread are going to get IL this week......

Looks like no one is having interview this week. Seshu.baireddy has his interview next week...Good luck to him.